Register

Giro d'Italia 2019 rumours

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Giro 2019 Route Rumours

16 Sep 2018 16:06

Merano 2000 would be a perfect finish indeed.

User avatar Bavarianrider

17 Sep 2018 16:33

not long to wait
Monday, September 24th, the details of the route will be officially unveiled at 14.30 in Bologna
Tim Booth

17 Sep 2018 16:44

Tim Booth wrote:not long to wait
Monday, September 24th, the details of the route will be officially unveiled at 14.30 in Bologna

What the.......

Nice, for some reason I thought it was a lot later like it was last year!!
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

17 Sep 2018 16:47

it's just the presentation of the start in Bologna, it's not the full route.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

22 Sep 2018 09:57

Some more updates. Taking for granted that the third week should be pretty much decided (I would say the only unclear thing is the route of the Anterselva stage), the second and first are still shuffling around.
In particular, multiple accounts have pointed at the stage to Novi Ligure being from Pinerolo, instead of from somewhere east. This stage seems to be between the Cuneo - Pinerolo and the stage to Courmayeur (this will likely start from Ivrea, which is good as it gives plenty of room for whatever climb you wanna put in). The finish in Como is in doubt, but if it drops they should still finish somewhere else in the area.
Otoh, there is the possibility that the ITT to S.Marino might come as stage 9 instead of 10 (if it was on stage 10, the second week would need a huge transfer...), which leads to some rearrangements for the first week. Good thing, on Monday the first 3(?) stages will be officially unveiled, so that should help.

1. Bologna - S.Luca (5 km ITT)
2. Vinci(???) or Carpi - Ravenna
3. Ravenna - Modena
4. Vinci (?) or Carpi(???) - Follonica (?)
5. Orbetello - Frascati (or surroundings)
6. Sabaudia - Cassino(?) (or another easy MTF in the area)
7. Ortona(?) - L'Aquila
8. ??? - ???
9. Riccione - S.Marino (~30 km ITT)
rest
10 ??? - Rapallo
11 ??? - ???
12 Cuneo - Pinerolo
13 Pinerolo - Novi Ligure
14 Ivrea - Courmayeur
15 ??? - Como(or surroundings)
rest
16 ??? - Ponte di Legno
17 Val di Sole - Anterselva
18 Dobbiacco - S. Maria di Sala
19 Treviso - S. Martino di Castrozza
20 Feltre - Passo Croce d'Aune
21 Verona - Verona (15 km ITT)
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

22 Sep 2018 09:58

Eshnar wrote:Some more updates. Taking for granted that the third week should be pretty much decided (I would say the only unclear thing is the route of the Anterselva stage), the second and first are still shuffling around.
In particular, multiple accounts have pointed at the stage to Novi Ligure being from Pinerolo, instead of from somewhere east. This stage seems to be between the Cuneo - Pinerolo and the stage to Courmayeur (this will likely start from Ivrea, which is good as it gives plenty of room for whatever climb you wanna put in). The finish in Como is in doubt, but if it drops they should still finish somewhere else in the area.
Otoh, there is the possibility that the ITT to S.Marino might come as stage 9 instead of 10 (if it was on stage 10, the second week would need a huge transfer...), which leads to some rearrangements for the first week. Good thing, on Monday the first 3(?) stages will be officially unveiled, so that should help.

3. Ravenna - Modena
7. Ortona(?) - L'Aquila
8. ??? - ???
rest
10 ??? - Rapallo
11 ??? - ???
12 Cuneo - Pinerolo
14 Ivrea - Courmayeur
rest
16 ??? - Ponte di Legno
21 Verona - Verona

So I see that the late 2nd week ITT is out.

Does that mean Verona-Verona is likely to be an ITT?
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

22 Sep 2018 10:00

Red Rick wrote:
Eshnar wrote:Some more updates. Taking for granted that the third week should be pretty much decided (I would say the only unclear thing is the route of the Anterselva stage), the second and first are still shuffling around.

3. Ravenna - Modena
7. Ortona(?) - L'Aquila
8. ??? - ???
rest
10 ??? - Rapallo
11 ??? - ???
12 Cuneo - Pinerolo
14 Ivrea - Courmayeur
rest
16 ??? - Ponte di Legno
21 Verona - Verona

So I see that the late 2nd week ITT is out.

Does that mean Verona-Verona is likely to be an ITT?

oh yes, I thought I mentioned it already. It will be on the 2004 Worlds route, but as an ITT. Simply one lap.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

22 Sep 2018 10:40

Well, I should have waited a few minutes before posting the route. A local article today claims that the stage to L'Aquila will start in Vasto and will be on a Friday, with the following stage starting from Tortoreto Lido. This basically confirms the speculation about the ITT on stage 9.
From Cassino to Vasto the transfer would be quite huge. On the other hand there is no room for another stage in between, so I think they are not gonna finish in Cassino after all...

3. Ravenna - Modena
5. Orbetello - Frascati
6. Sabaudia - Cassino(???) (or another easy MTF in the area)
7. Vasto - L'Aquila
8. Tortoreto Lido - Gualdo Tadino (?)
rest
10 ??? - Rapallo
11 ??? - ???
12 Cuneo - Pinerolo
14 Ivrea - Courmayeur
15 St. Vincent - Como(or surroundings)
rest
16 ??? - Ponte di Legno
21 Verona - Verona (15 km ITT)

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

Re: Giro d'Italia 2019 rumors

22 Sep 2018 10:57

Two questions.
1.) So if the first week stays as it is does that mean no hard mtf in that week and generally no mountain stage until the Pinerolo stage?
2.) I don't get the Novi Ligure rumor. If they go there between the Pinerolo and the Courmayeur stage that would mean instead of a gigantic transfer between Pinerolo and Ivrea we get an even more than gigantic transfer between Novi Ligure and Ivrea. I somehow can't imagine that although I would like it as a flat stage after Cuneo-Pinerolo means a higher chance for attacks on previous day.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

22 Sep 2018 11:01

15km for a final stage ITT is such a waste
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

22 Sep 2018 11:11

The logical finish for stage 6 would then be a MTF at Roccaraso or somewhere thereabouts - I can't see Cuneo-Pinerolo being the first mountain stage.

It also doesn't make sense to ride into the Apennines from the Adriatic coast on stage 7, transfer back to the Adriatic coast on stage 8 to ride into the Apennines again, only to transfer back to the Adriatic coast for the ITT. In other words, if stage 7 is to L'Aquila and stage 9 is the San Marino ITT, it should be either the Tortoredo start or the Gualdo Tadino finish. Then again, this route already doesn't make much sense transfer-wise.
Devil's Elbow

Re: Giro d'Italia 2019 rumors

22 Sep 2018 11:13

Gigs_98 wrote:Two questions.
1.) So if the first week stays as it is does that mean no hard mtf in that week and generally no mountain stage until the Pinerolo stage?
2.) I don't get the Novi Ligure rumor. If they go there between the Pinerolo and the Courmayeur stage that would mean instead of a gigantic transfer between Pinerolo and Ivrea we get an even more than gigantic transfer between Novi Ligure and Ivrea. I somehow can't imagine that although I would like it as a flat stage after Cuneo-Pinerolo means a higher chance for attacks on previous day.

1. Yes, unless stage 6 is an MTF, which is quite likely. I could totally see a finish in Campitello Matese, for example.

2. I also don't get it, but that's what has been reported. In any case, the transfer is feasible, and it's on highway so it shouldn't be a big deal.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

22 Sep 2018 11:41

Better have that first week mountain finish or the Giro will basically be a one week race.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

22 Sep 2018 13:41

Looks like G will need to cut out the pies & pints and get on the rollers before the start - shame TdF can not come up with similar crazy ideas!
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/2019-giro-ditalia-bologna-grande-partenza-stages-to-be-presented-on-monday/
Tuttobiciweb has reported that the 2019 Giro will start on Saturday, May 11 with a 5km time trial from the centre of Bologna to the top of the portico-lined climb to the Santuario della Madonna di San Luca. The 2km ascent, known as the Colle della Guardia, has an average gradient of 11% and a maximum of 18%. The climb is well-known from the finale of the Giro dell'Emilia and is likely to provoke some significant gaps on the opening day of the corsa rosa.
Matera, which will be European Capital of Culture in 2020, had previously been touted as the possible site of the Grande Partenza, but the southern city’s candidacy lost momentum when some local politicians were among those placed under arrest during a probe into the Basilicata region’s health system.

European Capital of Culture?! Crime culture seems like! :D
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

22 Sep 2018 14:22

Robert5091 wrote:Looks like G will need to cut out the pies & pints and get on the rollers before the start - shame TdF can not come up with similar crazy ideas!
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/2019-giro-ditalia-bologna-grande-partenza-stages-to-be-presented-on-monday/
Tuttobiciweb has reported that the 2019 Giro will start on Saturday, May 11 with a 5km time trial from the centre of Bologna to the top of the portico-lined climb to the Santuario della Madonna di San Luca. The 2km ascent, known as the Colle della Guardia, has an average gradient of 11% and a maximum of 18%. The climb is well-known from the finale of the Giro dell'Emilia and is likely to provoke some significant gaps on the opening day of the corsa rosa.
Matera, which will be European Capital of Culture in 2020, had previously been touted as the possible site of the Grande Partenza, but the southern city’s candidacy lost momentum when some local politicians were among those placed under arrest during a probe into the Basilicata region’s health system.

I don't know why so many people insist Thomas will go for the Giro next year.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

22 Sep 2018 15:34

Rapallo? Yes please.
Brullnux
Veteran

Re: Re:

22 Sep 2018 18:41

Red Rick wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:Looks like G will need to cut out the pies & pints and get on the rollers before the start - shame TdF can not come up with similar crazy ideas!

Maybe because G has said himself he'd like to do it -
https://cyclingpro.net/spaziociclismo/worldtour/team-sky-thomas-preannuncia-il-rinnovo-e-i-prossimo-obiettivi-giro-ditalia-e-fiandre/ Google translate gives us -
"Sky is my family. Last week I had a barbecue together with Chris Froome and his wife Michelle. Luke Rowe was also with us. I owe everything to this team. Although it is not yet 100% certain and I have not signed yet, I think I will stay here. I think the signature could arrive next week ". An opening that immediately triggers the debate on leadership within the team ahead of next season. Thomas himself, however, said he had a different goal: "I definitely want to concentrate on the Giro d'Italia. We have to talk to the team and see how to do it, I care about it after the fall of last year. Doing tours and tours together? What Chris and Tom Dumoulin (Sunweb) managed to do this year is something fantastic. But I do not know if I can do it. We'll see".

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re: Re:

22 Sep 2018 18:51

Robert5091 wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

Maybe because G has said himself he'd like to do it -
https://cyclingpro.net/spaziociclismo/worldtour/team-sky-thomas-preannuncia-il-rinnovo-e-i-prossimo-obiettivi-giro-ditalia-e-fiandre/ Google translate gives us -
"Sky is my family. Last week I had a barbecue together with Chris Froome and his wife Michelle. Luke Rowe was also with us. I owe everything to this team. Although it is not yet 100% certain and I have not signed yet, I think I will stay here. I think the signature could arrive next week ". An opening that immediately triggers the debate on leadership within the team ahead of next season. Thomas himself, however, said he had a different goal: "I definitely want to concentrate on the Giro d'Italia. We have to talk to the team and see how to do it, I care about it after the fall of last year. Doing tours and tours together? What Chris and Tom Dumoulin (Sunweb) managed to do this year is something fantastic. But I do not know if I can do it. We'll see".

Alright.

First time I've seen that.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

23 Sep 2018 20:55

Bologna huh? I was at the train station in June 1980 - two months before it went boom. Dark days indeed.

User avatar Robert5091

24 Sep 2018 13:30

User avatar Robert5091

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing