Register

Giro d'Italia 2019 rumours

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

09 Oct 2018 21:59

Sestriere wrote:
Red Rick wrote:I would just love to see a stage finish shortly after the descent of Passo Manghen.

Pampeago was a stage finish in 2012 I think (although, iirc, they did a lap including Lavazé first). That would definitely fit nicely after Manghen. How reliable is the rumour regarding Croce d'Aune as stage finish of the Feltre stage?

Would honestly like Lavazé finish way more than Pampeago if that's possible.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

09 Oct 2018 22:08

Yeah, Pampeago is exactly the kind of MTF you really dont want in modern cycling.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

09 Oct 2018 22:19

Red Rick wrote:
Sestriere wrote:
Red Rick wrote:I would just love to see a stage finish shortly after the descent of Passo Manghen.

Pampeago was a stage finish in 2012 I think (although, iirc, they did a lap including Lavazé first). That would definitely fit nicely after Manghen. How reliable is the rumour regarding Croce d'Aune as stage finish of the Feltre stage?

Would honestly like Lavazé finish way more than Pampeago if that's possible.

Sure, Lavazé connects better and is not so brutally steep, but at this point it is just speculation or "wishdreaming". Anyway, this is how it could look like, a really nice last mountain stage which would encourage attacks on Manghen.

Sestriere

Re:

09 Oct 2018 23:00

Put the Salita della Cascata from the Marcialonga in to finish in Cavalese or Lago di Tesero in the style of the Citadel de Briançon, and we're golden.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

10 Oct 2018 01:02

Sestriere, that would be a great finish after the Manghen monster. It's incredible how nowadays super steep climbs are action killers!
Better to have the lower gradients for action.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

10 Oct 2018 05:49

Sestriere wrote:

100%
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

Re: Giro d'Italia 2019 rumors

10 Oct 2018 07:26

According to local article, the stage to Frascati should pass North of Rome, which would make possible to insert some nice hills in the finale (like those that were in Roma Maxima). The same article Claims the following stage would start from Frascati itself, which means that a finish in Sabaudia or Terracina is the best bet.

1. Bologna - S.Luca (8.2 km ITT)
2. Bologna - Fucecchio
3. Vinci - Orbetello
4. Orbetello - Frascati
5. Frascati - Sabaudia (or Terracina)
6. Cassino - S.Giovanni Rotondo
7. Vasto - L'Aquila
8. Tortoreto Lido - Pesaro
9. Riccione - S.Marino (34.7 km ITT)
rest
10 Ravenna - Modena
OPTION 1 | OPTION 2 | OPTION 3
11 Carpi - ??? | Carpi - Novi Ligure | Carpi - Novi Ligure
12 Cuneo - Pinerolo
13 Pinerolo - Novi Ligure | Pinerolo - Col Basset? | Pinerolo - ???
14 Ivrea - Courmayeur
15 St. Vincent - Como(or surroundings)
rest
16 Lovere - Ponte di Legno
17 Val di Sole - Anterselva
18 Dobbiaco - S. Maria di Sala
19 Treviso - S. Martino di Castrozza
20 Feltre - Passo Croce d'Aune (or above)
21 Verona - Verona (15 km ITT)
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

10 Oct 2018 07:42

Eshnar wrote:
Red Rick wrote:It would be crazy hard, but I don't think it would be great design.

agreed, but that's what we're gonna get. Only uncertainty is exactly where they finish. Couple of kms lower or higher, the stage is the same.

Where exactly have you finished your stage? That's above the pass itself?

And isn't there several options for a Feltre - Croce di Aune stage. For example isn't it more likely they will drop Cima di Campo?
OlavEH

10 Oct 2018 11:06

OlavEH wrote:
Where exactly have you finished your stage? That's above the pass itself?

And isn't there several options for a Feltre - Croce di Aune stage. For example isn't it more likely they will drop Cima di Campo?
I finished at Malga Campon, at the very top.
The route was supposed to copy the Sportful Grandfondo.
What sealed the deal was a (very zoomed in) photo of the last 4 stage profiles themselves, that got "accidentally" leaked. The bad quality of the picture doesn't really tell you where exactly they are gonna finish, but you could clearly see what climbs are there.
Of course the plan might have changed from that time (one month ago roughly), but I don't see why would it.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

10 Oct 2018 16:15

Max Rockatansky

10 Oct 2018 16:18

Max Rockatansky wrote:https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1050054187059486722

So Mortirolo first and then Gavia.

probably just a Journalist's guess. No way they descend the Gavia south. I would ignore this.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

10 Oct 2018 16:32

Eshnar wrote:
Max Rockatansky wrote:https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1050054187059486722

probably just a Journalist's guess. No way they descend the Gavia south. I would ignore this.

And if it happens, I will probably still deny this.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

10 Oct 2018 16:44

Red Rick wrote:
Eshnar wrote:

And if it happens, I will probably still deny this.

don't worry, Lefevre would organize a strike before there is a chance this happens at all.
The journo probably heard that there will be Gavia and Mortirolo and just designed the most obvious (on paper) route. I wouldn't put any more thoughts to this.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

10 Oct 2018 19:07

They did descent Gavia South in 2010, but I understand this is one of those 'too dangerous' for Vegni. I'm with Vegni on this :D
ice&fire

Re:

10 Oct 2018 19:43

ice&fire wrote:They did descent Gavia South in 2010, but I understand this is one of those 'too dangerous' for Vegni. I'm with Vegni on this :D

it is too dangerous for many. Even more as a final descent. Not even I would put it.
In 2010 they descended as slowly as they could.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

10 Oct 2018 19:49

Eshnar wrote:
ice&fire wrote:They did descent Gavia South in 2010, but I understand this is one of those 'too dangerous' for Vegni. I'm with Vegni on this :D

it is too dangerous for many. Even more as a final descent. Not even I would put it.

So basically the Gavia south descent is the most Zomegnan thing that ever happened?
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

10 Oct 2018 20:38

Red Rick wrote:
Eshnar wrote:

So basically the Gavia south descent is the most Zomegnan thing that ever happened?

that actually happened, probably yes. That and Gardeccia.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

10 Oct 2018 22:09

Eshnar wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
Eshnar wrote:

Talking about Gardeccia, I remember the stage before and Monte Crostis. Isn't that downhill even harder than Gavia (south)?
YavorD

11 Oct 2018 05:21

YavorD wrote:
Talking about Gardeccia, I remember the stage before and Monte Crostis. Isn't that downhill even harder than Gavia (south)?

yes. that's why I specified "actually happened" :p
actually, harder or not, the key problem was that it was too narrow for cars in some points.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

11 Oct 2018 07:28

Eshnar wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

What was so special about Gardaneccia? The totality of the stage or the climb itself?
OlavEH

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing