Register

Giro d'Italia 2019 rumours

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

19 Oct 2018 09:38

I'm starting to get the feeling that I really don't know enough about the climbs towards the foot of the main mountain ridges.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

19 Oct 2018 11:46

Red Rick wrote:I'm starting to get the feeling that I really don't know enough about the climbs towards the foot of the main mountain ridges.

you're a noob, just admit it :p
btw, on Cicloweb they are saying Sampeyre has been resurfaced recently, so who knows...
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

Re: Re:

19 Oct 2018 11:50

Eshnar wrote:
Red Rick wrote:I'm starting to get the feeling that I really don't know enough about the climbs towards the foot of the main mountain ridges.

btw, on Cicloweb they are saying Sampeyre has been resurfaced recently, so who knows...

I readily admit I'm a noob, in most area's.

Spend way too much time designing retarded stages in the Dolomites :D

And it was only the Demonte side of the Fauniera that Vegni considered too dangerous?
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

19 Oct 2018 11:56

Red Rick wrote:
Eshnar wrote:

And it was only the Demonte side of the Fauniera that Vegni considered too dangerous?

It was Demonte, yes, but make no mistake, all Fauniera sides are equally dangerous. Also, the northern side is (was?) in terrible conditions.

They are telling me the North side of Sampeyre is resurfaced, so it can be descended I think. The SW side is closed afaik, but the S side can be climbed without problems I think.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

19 Oct 2018 12:55

Eshnar wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
Eshnar wrote:

It was Demonte, yes, but make no mistake, all Fauniera sides are equally dangerous. Also, the northern side is (was?) in terrible conditions.

They are telling me the North side of Sampeyre is resurfaced, so it can be descended I think. The SW side is closed afaik, but the S side can be climbed without problems I think.

I think the East side of Fauniera (Pradleves) would be ok as a descent but climbing from Demonte wouldn't be that interesting, unless you came from Lombarda which isn't rumored for 2019
Regarding Sampeyre, my understanding is the North side has only been "repaired" (cost 60000€) from its potholes but not resurfaced. I can't imagine a pro peloton riding down there in 2019, unfortunately, as the Sampeyre-Agnello-Izoard trio as featured (but cancelled) in 1995 would really look good.
http://www.lastampa.it/2018/07/31/cuneo/sistemate-centinaia-di-buche-nellasfalto-il-colle-di-sampeyre-riapre-a-moto-e-bici-vBeuSNLxUFG6qlSLuoDPRM/pagina.html
Gregga

19 Oct 2018 12:57

Well if it helps you can go from Pradleves and skip about 1km of dangerous descent

Cmon Vegni, you know you want to
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

19 Oct 2018 13:19

If I understand correctly from that link to La Stampa, the budget wasn't enough to cover all the potholes, so they did fix about 3/4 of them, including the worst ones. The road will be closed during the winter and the question to complete road works (I assume limited to the North side of Sampeyre) will be rediscussed next spring.
Last edited by ice&fire on 19 Oct 2018 13:27, edited 1 time in total.
ice&fire

Re:

19 Oct 2018 13:26

ice&fire wrote:If understand correctly from that link to La Stampa, the budget wasn't enough to cover all the potholes, so they did fix about 3/4 of them, including the worst ones. The road will be closed during the winter and the question to complete road works (I assume limited to the North side of Sampeyre) will be rediscussed next spring.

yes, that's what the article says. They told me something different, but I don't really know the current situation.
Either way, it was just to say that descending Sampeyre might be possible, although it would still not be likely even if the tarmac was perfect.... It's just a possibility I wanted to mention since I had ruled it out (maybe mistakenly) earlier.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

Re: Giro d'Italia 2019 rumours

20 Oct 2018 07:56

Eshnar, how believable is that three stages with 5.500 meters of climbing statement by Vegni. All the forums discussing the rumors seem to be obsessed by that statement and trying to cramp that into every stage design. At the end, it is just something he said. And to be honest, that guy talks a lot of stuff.
Max Rockatansky

20 Oct 2018 08:04

User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

20 Oct 2018 08:28

I think you should swap Sestriere with Finestre considering what Beppe Conti said yesterday.
Nirvana

Re:

20 Oct 2018 08:37

Nirvana wrote:I think you should swap Sestriere with Finestre considering what Beppe Conti said yesterday.

But didn't Conti also say no France in Cuneo-Pinerolo?
Sestriere

20 Oct 2018 08:53

Sestriere wrote:
Nirvana wrote:I think you should swap Sestriere with Finestre considering what Beppe Conti said yesterday.

But didn't Conti also say no France in Cuneo-Pinerolo?

Yesterday he didn't say anyrthing about France, he said that will be different from 1949 ones, there won't be Sestriere and will be "spectacular" (for this reason i think will be replaced by Finestre, i can't see something different work for long range action), anyway they could also make something only italian climbing something like Moncenisio before Finestre with an "easier" stage, the only thing i'm pretty sure is that there won't be Fauniera and Sampeyre, it's already strange to see Gavia with Vegni (and i won't be surprised if there will be Tonale instead).

Last week he talked about Lago Serru, i don't know if he said something in the previous week because Rai didn't upload them so i wasn't able to watch. But i don't rule out the fact that no France thing is only a misunderstanding on Vegni words whe he talked about San Marino.
Nirvana

20 Oct 2018 09:07

Finestre again would be a world of lame.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

20 Oct 2018 09:26

That's from a local newspaper and this info was given the day before Conti ruled out Sestriere. Agnello is such a beast. This race would explode heavily. On the other hand, I don't think, they won't televise Cima Coppi or "waste" it somewhere. Not in 2019.
Max Rockatansky

20 Oct 2018 09:29

Red Rick wrote:Finestre again would be a world of lame.

I can understand Vegni if he put in again Finestre, it's so hard that force attack everywhere you put it.
The problem is eventually wasting Agnello and Izoard, he could have done two stages, Cuned-Briançon (or something else in the area not too away) and somewhere in the area-Pinerolo with Finestre, in this way you could also avoid the unipuerto (i know that there is a wonderful scenery on Nivolet but still...).
Nirvana

20 Oct 2018 09:41

Max Rockatansky wrote:Eshnar, how believable is that three stages with 5.500 meters of climbing statement by Vegni.

zero. Still, like all legends, there should be some truth behind it.

Gigs_98 wrote:I am confused
<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://mobile.twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1053222318263201792</span>

everyone is, we still have no clue how that stage is gonna look like. Although, I would say, not like that.

Pesaro for stage 8 is confirmed. The stage will have some small hills in the finale that may avoid the sprint, but all in all it won't be a hard stage by any means.

Local article today claims the stage to Courmayeur will feature St.Pantaleon, Champremiere and S.Carlo, ~130 km.

It seems a bit weird, as it would place 35 km of valley between Champremiere and S.Carlo, but it's not impossible ofc.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

20 Oct 2018 10:01

Eshnar wrote:
Max Rockatansky wrote:Eshnar, how believable is that three stages with 5.500 meters of climbing statement by Vegni.

zero. Still, like all legends, there should be some truth behind it.

Gigs_98 wrote:I am confused
<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://mobile.twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1053222318263201792</span>

everyone is, we still have no clue how that stage is gonna look like. Although, I would say, not like that.

Pesaro for stage 8 is confirmed. The stage will have some small hills in the finale that may avoid the sprint, but all in all it won't be a hard stage by any means.

Local article today claims the stage to Courmayeur will feature St.Pantaleon, Champremiere and S.Carlo, ~130 km.

It seems a bit weird, as it would place 35 km of valley between Champremiere and S.Carlo, but it's not impossible ofc.

There are 3 stages with climbs longer than 5.500m?
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

20 Oct 2018 10:36

ice&fire wrote:If I understand correctly from that link to La Stampa, the budget wasn't enough to cover all the potholes, so they did fix about 3/4 of them, including the worst ones. The road will be closed during the winter and the question to complete road works (I assume limited to the North side of Sampeyre) will be rediscussed next spring.

I climbed north side of sampeyre in early September. I can confirm that potholes have been repaired (from what I remember their weren't any on north side) but none of it looked resurfaced.
motty89

22 Oct 2018 03:53

I climbed Sampeyre And Fauniera both in 2000, I do not remember bad roads there, but it was really long time ago, I would like to see that mountains Back in Giro again.
bassano

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing