Register

Giro d'Italia 2019 rumours

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

01 Nov 2018 01:57

BlackWhiteEagle wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Overall I think its a pretty decent route. Ponte di Legno is the hardest stage since...?

Since Purito decided to design a 2015 Vuelta stage i think.

I'd agree with that. That Andorra stage that Purito designed is still insane.
User avatar Koronin

01 Nov 2018 02:53

Koronin wrote:
MatParker117 wrote:Apparently Sagan might ride, easy jersey if he does

With Valverde also going, that could be an interesting battle for that jersey between two very different and versatile riders. Similar to their battle for the green at this year's Vuelta.

In the Giro is impossible since the point system is the same of the Tour with the addition of a second intermediate sprint with another 20 points on offer. To have a GC rider win the points jersey there should be a mass abandon in the second and third week and still a rider that uses to go in breakways regularly has more chances, consider that this year Ballerini scored more than 30 points more than Yates and Frapporti only two less only racking up point from intermetiate sprints and other than Yates there was only Dumoulin in the top 10.

Even if Valverde will dominate the hilly stages, be up there in every mountain stage he'll likely end up with not more points than a random Modolo or van Poppel and that considering the presence of at least a couple of stronger sprinters that will win the flat stages, otherwise one second tier sprinter like them could easily win it. Nizzolo for example has already won two times only racking up top five placemets on pan flat stages and the second time he finished with more that the double of the points of Valverde.
Nirvana

Re:

01 Nov 2018 07:39

Red Rick wrote:"What a waste of the Stelvio and the Mortirolo"

~Red Rick, 1993

:D

It was the first cycling race I ever saw. So I had to put it here.
Max Rockatansky

01 Nov 2018 08:59

Valv.Piti wrote:
Libertine Seguros wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
BlackWhiteEagle wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Overall I think its a pretty decent route. Ponte di Legno is the hardest stage since...?

Since Purito decided to design a 2015 Vuelta stage i think.

This one is definitely harder IMO. True queen stage. :cool:

Was 2017's Bormio stage really that much easier?

No, I don't think so, but it was a weak *** Mortirolo and still Stelvio from its more human side. They are probably equally hard if you are just looking to get through the stage, but such a stage as this will most definitely create bigger gaps. This Gavia-side is equal to easy Stelvio in 2017, maybe harder? Dunno. But the first couple of climbs makes it overall harder IMO, this is really a brute, as was the Bormio-stage you are referring to tho.

Red Rick wrote:"What a waste of the Stelvio and the Mortirolo"

~Red Rick, 1993

Lmao.

I would say they Stelvio west and Gavia south are comparable. In fact, I would think the Bormio stage would be way cooler with Gavia south instead of Mortirolo from Edolo, and it's a little sad we there was a valley headwind and that we didn't get Stelvio from Prato.

But really those climbs are all such long burners that doing anything before such a climb is kinda eh.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

02 Nov 2018 00:12

On the Italian forum they said that Martinelli in an interview with the Gazzetta said that they'll come with Lopez to win the Giro next year, if Astana will also take the A team support could be another 2015.
Nirvana

Re:

02 Nov 2018 00:22

Nirvana wrote:On the Italian forum they said that Martinelli in an interview with the Gazzetta said that they'll come with Lopez to win the Giro next year, if Astana will also take the A team support could be another 2015.

Sky and Bahrain will be a notch above the team Tinkoff bought in 2015 as well, fun on the bun.
MatParker117

02 Nov 2018 01:24

It'll be interesting to see what type of team Movistar ends up sending to the Giro. First they need to figure out if they are sending Landa along with Valverde or just Valverde. I think that may determine whether they sending a younger team or a full fledged team to go after the overall GC. They may send a very young team to get experience and learn and hope they can support Valverde or they may send a more experienced team.

Sky should send a decent team, but I doubt their A team. Astana sounds like it will be their A team. Bahrain should have a decent team and if Nibali goes it should be a strong team. The other question is M-S and who do they send and how strong of a team for support do they send.
User avatar Koronin

02 Nov 2018 06:32

The route has Vincenzo Nibali written all over it. Long stages, hilly TTs, no muritos and a Lombardia lite stage. They're basically begging him to ride the Giro in 2019.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

Re: Giro d'Italia 2019 rumours

02 Nov 2018 08:55

Are there any sterratto somewhere on the route?
Kyllingen86

Re:

02 Nov 2018 10:13

Koronin wrote:It'll be interesting to see what type of team Movistar ends up sending to the Giro. First they need to figure out if they are sending Landa along with Valverde or just Valverde. I think that may determine whether they sending a younger team or a full fledged team to go after the overall GC. They may send a very young team to get experience and learn and hope they can support Valverde or they may send a more experienced team.

Sky should send a decent team, but I doubt their A team. Astana sounds like it will be their A team. Bahrain should have a decent team and if Nibali goes it should be a strong team. The other question is M-S and who do they send and how strong of a team for support do they send.

Carapaz already said it's his main goal for next season, so we will see who else Movistar is sending.
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

Re:

02 Nov 2018 12:08

SafeBet wrote:The route has Vincenzo Nibali written all over it. Long stages, hilly TTs, no muritos and a Lombardia lite stage. They're basically begging him to ride the Giro in 2019.

Indeed. Plus he's probably the rider who usually improves the most from the first to the third weekend and therefore benefits the most from a backloaded route.
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Veteran

02 Nov 2018 12:13

Hugo Koblet wrote:
SafeBet wrote:The route has Vincenzo Nibali written all over it. Long stages, hilly TTs, no muritos and a Lombardia lite stage. They're basically begging him to ride the Giro in 2019.

Indeed. Plus he's probably the rider who usually improves the most from the first to the third weekend and therefore benefits the most from a backloaded route.

Excellent points! It's not just the French who make a GT to best suit their riders :D
User avatar gregrowlerson

02 Nov 2018 12:14

One good climb after stage 16, and it's a million miles from the finish

Calling it backloaded.

Fundamentally it's less backloaded than 2018, 2016, 2014, especially 2012 and I could damn well argue 2011 as well.

Many of these had a little more in the first 12 stages while having much, much less in the last 4 stages.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

02 Nov 2018 12:33

gregrowlerson wrote:
Hugo Koblet wrote:

Excellent points! It's not just the French who make a GT to best suit their riders :D

Don't know how but it always ends up to suit the Sky riders better.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

Re:

02 Nov 2018 12:37

Red Rick wrote:One good climb after stage 16, and it's a million miles from the finish

Calling it backloaded.

Fundamentally it's less backloaded than 2018, 2016, 2014, especially 2012 and I could damn well argue 2011 as well.

Many of these had a little more in the first 12 stages while having much, much less in the last 4 stages.

It's not backloaded in a "everything will come down to the final two days" kind of way but very backloaded in a "there is no mountain stage till stage 13" kind of way. 2018, 2016, 2014 and 2011 all had mountain stages or at least relatively hard mountain top finishes in the first week to sort the gc. In this edition there will be 20 riders who think they can win the giro starting stage 13 with this mindset and that is something we haven't seen since 2012. What makes this a lot better than 2012 is that there are already two TT's in the first week, meaning riders will have a reason to attack, and that stage 13, 14 and 16 all look more crucial than stage 17, 19 and 20. Because of that I'm not actually overly sad about the route design of week 3. I think the Antholz stage could end up being quite a good opportunity for an ambush (Everyone will be tired after stage 16, there will be a frantic battle to get into the break on the first climb and after that the stage is hilly but not super hard. It kinda looks like a longer version of the 2016 Formigal stage), stage 19 might not have a great design but I actually like the idea of a stage where it all comes down to the final climb late in a gt, especially if that climb isn't hard enough to decide the whole gc on it's own (La Rabassa in the vuelta this year was a comparable mtf and it was probably the best stage of the whole race) and stage 20, while not exactly having a design that screams long range attack, definitely gives riders a chance to go for suicidal attacks or at least let the race explode on Manghen (Passo Rolle isn't a monster but if they start that climb with a 15 men peloton even that pass could have a huge impact). And if that doesn't happen the final climb can still create a great showdown.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

02 Nov 2018 12:45

What you're saying is because the first 13 stages don't have enough it's less bad that the last 4 stages have too little?

80% of action in this Giro is packed in 4 consecutive stages right now. How is that any good? The pacing is terrible.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

02 Nov 2018 14:52

Red Rick wrote:What you're saying is because the first 13 stages don't have enough it's less bad that the last 4 stages have too little?

80% of action in this Giro is packed in 4 consecutive stages right now. How is that any good? The pacing is terrible.

Where did I imply that? :confused:
What I meant was that because the 4 consecutive stages between stage 13 and 16 are so hard it's not that bad that the last 4 stages are on the easier side. The other way around it would be catastrophic but the way it is I quite like it.
And I also don't like that there isn't a single mountain stage in the first 12 days but my comment was a reaction to you claiming the route isn't backloaded so I didn't write about that as I though you don't see it as a problem.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

02 Nov 2018 16:09

Kyllingen86 wrote:Are there any sterratto somewhere on the route?

There’s a gravel road across to the descent of Pian del Lupo on stage 13
Tim Booth

02 Nov 2018 16:56

Tim Booth wrote:
Kyllingen86 wrote:Are there any sterratto somewhere on the route?

There’s a gravel road across to the descent of Pian del Lupo on stage 13

Okay thanks.

Disappointing not to see more.
Kyllingen86

16 Nov 2018 07:46

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mitchelton-scott-finalise-25-rider-roster-for-2019/
Looks like MS will go for Giro & Vuelta and leave TdF for the Sky A team.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing