Register

Giro d'Italia 2019 rumours

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Giro d'Italia 2019 rumours

26 May 2018 20:32

Aaaight.

After a final parade in Rome, there's nothing to fill the cycling hearts quite so much as it has been the past 3 weeks for another year. So this is the thread to get us through that year.

Eshnar, oh wise one, what have you got for us?

EDIT by Eshnar:
Rumoured route at 14 Oct. (official info bolded)

1. Bologna - S.Luca (8.2 km ITT)
2. Bologna - Fucecchio
3. Vinci - Orbetello
4. Orbetello - Frascati
5. Frascati - Sabaudia
6. Cassino - S.Giovanni Rotondo
7. Vasto - L'Aquila
8. Tortoreto Lido - Pesaro
9. Riccione - S.Marino (34.7 km ITT)
rest
10 Ravenna - Modena
11 Carpi - Novi Ligure
12 Cuneo - Pinerolo
13 Pinerolo - Colle del Nivolet (Lago Serrù)
14 St.Vincent (or Ivrea) - Courmayeur (Skyway)
15 Ivrea (or St.Vincent) - Como
rest
16 Lovere - Ponte di Legno
17 Val di Sole - Anterselva
18 Dobbiaco - S. Maria di Sala
19 Treviso - S. Martino di Castrozza
20 Feltre - Passo Croce d'Aune (or Monte Avena)
21 Verona - Verona (15 km ITT)
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

26 May 2018 21:41

This was the first year I travelled with the Giro for some days and I loved every second of it. Can't wait to see the new route and decide where to go next year!
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

Giro 2019 Route Rumours

27 May 2018 17:46

It's about time to start the thread, isn't it.

The start will probably be abroad again. The two main rumours point to Croatia (it was already a candidate for this year) and Marseille. In both cases, the peloton could just enter Italy through the border...
The only chance for an Italian start would be Matera, that in any case will have a stage finish which will probably be the southernmost stage of the edition.
The finish might be in Verona, maybe with a longish ITT (which might happen even not as a Giro finish).
In the center-south, L'Aquila should be a deal, as well as Foligno (yes, again) or Gualdo Tadino (yes, again). There will be 1-2 stages in Emilia and probably 1-2 in Liguria (in particular if the start is in Marseille). In Piemonte, Novi Ligure seems a lock, paired with a mountain stage, with Oropa and Fraiteve as main candidates. Como is also a lock, and the stage should go through Ghisallo, as you would expect. Mantova should also have a stage (maybe an ITT). In the east, Passo Vezzena is the only insistent rumour (which actually comes from last year, so take it with a grain of salt), together with a rumoured stage on the hills near Belluno.

Still to early for a draft, but that's what we have...
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

27 May 2018 18:15

Sounds like they might actually have rough mountain stages in the first week of the race already and then again right before the finish with traveling south in between.

Or am I too optimistic and they'll backload it once again?
User avatar staubsauger

27 May 2018 18:16

Giro start in either Eastern Ukraine or Tibet.
User avatar Jagartrott

Re: Giro 2019 Route Rumours

27 May 2018 18:17

Eshnar wrote:It's about time to start the thread, isn't it.

The start will probably be abroad again. The two main rumours point to Croatia (it was already a candidate for this year) and Marseille. In both cases, the peloton could just enter Italy through the border...
The only chance for an Italian start would be Matera, that in any case will have a stage finish which will probably be the southernmost stage of the edition.
The finish might be in Verona, maybe with a longish ITT (which might happen even not as a Giro finish).
In the center-south, L'Aquila should be a deal, as well as Foligno (yes, again) or Gualdo Tadino (yes, again). There will be 1-2 stages in Emilia and probably 1-2 in Liguria (in particular if the start is in Marseille). In Piemonte, Novi Ligure seems a lock, paired with a mountain stage, with Oropa and Fraiteve as main candidates. Como is also a lock, and the stage should go through Ghisallo, as you would expect. Mantova should also have a stage (maybe an ITT). In the east, Passo Vezzena is the only insistent rumour (which actually comes from last year, so take it with a grain of salt), together with a rumoured stage on the hills near Belluno.

Still to early for a draft, but that's what we have...

Sorry mate, I kept up the tradition of me starting the thread prematurely. Anyway, I'm already excited.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

27 May 2018 18:19

According to local media Lienz wants a stage finish.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

27 May 2018 18:55

Possible Start in Southern Italy
EroicaStradeBianche

27 May 2018 20:08

Red Rick wrote:Sorry mate, I kept up the tradition of me starting the thread prematurely. Anyway, I'm already excited.

I missed it :o
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

27 May 2018 20:19

I hope they start in North Korea next year.
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

27 May 2018 20:25

Huh, I'd gotten the impression that the pattern was Even years: foreign. Uneven years: Italian.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

27 May 2018 20:34

RedheadDane wrote:

Huh, I'd gotten the impression that the pattern was Even years: foreign. Uneven years: Italian.

nah, the pattern was "You pay the most, you get the Giro start" :p

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

Re:

27 May 2018 20:37

El Pistolero wrote:I hope they start in North Korea next year.

Donbass or Crimea would be pretty sweet.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

27 May 2018 20:38

Eshnar wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:

nah, the pattern was "You pay the most, you get the Giro start" :p

I'm just certain I read somewhere that this was the pattern they were aiming for.
Though I guess Croatia does make more sense than the five most recent foreign starts...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

27 May 2018 20:45

Eshnar wrote:paired with a mountain stage, with Oropa.

Just hope that this doesn't happen!

And that RCS will add a couple of tough medium mountain stages in the Apenninnes. These kind of stage have been sorely missed the last few years.
OlavEH

28 May 2018 04:53

Last year local media said that this summer they'll pave Col Basset to use in 2019.

I think there will be a lot of stages in NW Italy considering that Friuli is not interested for 2019 and Rumors for Veneto at the moment are all in the flat part (Verona, Rovigo, Treviso).
I'd expect also a Cuneo-Pinerolo for the 70th aniversary of Coppi first Giro/Tour double.

Here a list of rumors nor cited yet in this TD, coming from italian forum (chronological order):

*18/09/2017 - MTT Alassio-Santuario della Guardia (one of the three stages requested for Liguria)
https://www.mediagold.it/magazine/sport/ciclismo/il-giro-ditalia-del-2018-parte-da-israele-nel-2019-la-cronometro-ad-alassio

*09/11/2017 - Orbetello
https://www.ilgiunco.net/2017/11/09/ciclismo-orbetello-si-candida-ad-ospitare-il-giro-ditalia-2019/

*01/12/2017 - Versilia
http://iltirreno.gelocal.it/versilia/sport/2017/12/01/news/la-versilia-resta-ancora-orfana-del-giro-d-italia-1.16186941

*24/05/2018 - Borgo San Dalmazzo
https://www.cuneodice.it/sport/cuneo-e-valli/il-giro-2019-a-borgo-san-dalmazzo-ci-lavoreremo_15254.html
Nirvana

28 May 2018 07:12

are there any Infos on whether Borgo San Dalmazzo only wants a stage finish or possibly only a stage start? Cause if the giro organizers fear Cuneo-Pinerolo is too long for the 21st century they could shorten the stage a bit by starting in Borgo San Dalmazzo.
Meanwhile I can only see a Liguria MTT happening if the race doesn't start in Marseille as in that case they would probably already go through Liguria in the first week. That said I would actually like that start as it's hard to mess up medium mountain stages in Liguria.
I heard about Lienz wanting the giro too. Maybbe a return of the Großglockner to the giro? I'd love that
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

28 May 2018 07:55

We've seen stages of 250 kms with Vegni, i don't think it's a problem.
it's more a concern the fact the he likes too much uphill finishes.

Anyway a Cuneo-Pinerolo fits between a finish in Borgo San Dalmazzo and the Colle Basset.
Nirvana

28 May 2018 08:32

For now, the only thing that points at a Cuneo-Pinerolo is just wishful thinking based on the anniversary. I wouldn't count on it at all.
In Liguria, Alassio will probably get a stage, MTT or not. The other finish should be Rapallo.
Borgo S.Dalmazzo could very well be a start for all we know. Could also just be a passage...

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

Re:

28 May 2018 08:32

Nirvana wrote:Last year local media said that this summer they'll pave Col Basset to use in 2019.
I think there will be a lot of stages in NW Italy considering that Friuli is not interested for 2019 and Rumors for Veneto at the moment are all in the flat part (Verona, Rovigo, Treviso).
I'd expect also a Cuneo-Pinerolo for the 70th aniversary of Coppi first Giro/Tour double.

Could Col Basset be combined with Finestre for a Basset-Finestre-Sestriere combo? Would be great if they did something like that.

Other than this, I don't hope for more mountain stages in northwest. I'm not a big fan of the stages in this part of Italy the last few years. And I'm neither a big fan of stages outside Italy and into France.

It's a about time for a proper 200 km, 5000 height meters Dolomite stage. And I'm a bit suprised of the lack of use of the tough climbs close to towns like Trento and Rovereto (Bondone, Fae/Bordala, Sommo, etc). Here it's definitely possible to create tough mountain stages, possibly with a downhill finish in one of the above-mentioned towns.
OlavEH

Next

Return to Professional road racing