Log in:  

Register

Pre Tour de France-thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

10 Jun 2018 17:41

Gaviria and Kittel both getting beaten today makes the Tour sprints seem even more wide open. It’s been a long time since there’s been a GT with so many sprinters who can reasonably hope to be the best.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,310
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

Re:

10 Jun 2018 17:41

Squire wrote:No sprinter (bar Pelucchi) will notice an incline of 1-2% in the final.


They will probably not notice it, no, but the laws of physics are what they are no matter how the riders are feeling.
User avatar tobydawq
Member
 
Posts: 1,770
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

10 Jun 2018 17:44

I doubt Kittel produces less W/kg in the sprint than Ewan does. It makes drafting a little less important and favours those with power.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,999
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

Re:

10 Jun 2018 17:58

Netserk wrote:I doubt Kittel produces less W/kg in the sprint than Ewan does. It makes drafting a little less important and favours those with power.


That's true, I hadn't thought about that.

Do you really think Kittel would beat Ewan if the final 100 metres were at a ramp of 12% though?
User avatar tobydawq
Member
 
Posts: 1,770
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

10 Jun 2018 18:18

Dunno, probably equal between them. Clearly Hatta Dam is too much, but there it's also more than a 20'' effort.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,999
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

11 Jun 2018 11:39

Valgren to danish TV yesterday, after finishing 23rd in Dauphine (as best Astana rider), when asked what the next focus area for him would be, leading up to the tour:

"I think we are going to have a conversation about our TTT"

:D
Last edited by Broccolidwarf on 12 Jun 2018 01:03, edited 1 time in total.
Broccolidwarf
Member
 
Posts: 781
Joined: 26 Mar 2015 14:18
Location: Procrasti Nation

Re: Pre Tour de France-thread

11 Jun 2018 14:56

That is hilarious. Thanks for that super funny anecdote. What a funny guy. Haha.
User avatar ciranda
Member
 
Posts: 440
Joined: 25 Jun 2012 16:33

Re:

11 Jun 2018 16:52

Zinoviev Letter wrote:Gaviria and Kittel both getting beaten today makes the Tour sprints seem even more wide open. It’s been a long time since there’s been a GT with so many sprinters who can reasonably hope to be the best.

Nah. Groenewegen to crush all
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 23,911
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

Re:

11 Jun 2018 17:17

Zinoviev Letter wrote:Gaviria and Kittel both getting beaten today makes the Tour sprints seem even more wide open. It’s been a long time since there’s been a GT with so many sprinters who can reasonably hope to be the best.

Might be true, but then Richeze comes in and this whole thing could very well be over. There is no better lead out man.
User avatar DNP-Old
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,089
Joined: 06 Aug 2014 17:38
Location: Sevilla, España

Re: Pre Tour de France-thread

11 Jun 2018 18:29

Poels was doing recon with Froome today so it looks like he'll be in the Sky team. The exclusion of Bernal from their Route de L'Occitaine line-up means he almost certainly won't be.
Parker
Member
 
Posts: 1,632
Joined: 04 Mar 2011 01:20

11 Jun 2018 18:41

i'll be pretty surprised to see bernal in providing froome is allowed to start. with thomas, kwiato, moscon as helpful allrounders, poels as a right hand man on the key multi-mountain stages, castroviejo as a reliable helper on flat and hills and puccio/row/van barle as 2 flat domestics, the young colombian is simply not needed
dacooley
Member
 
Posts: 1,664
Joined: 30 May 2015 15:37

Re: Pre Tour de France-thread

11 Jun 2018 18:46

Parker wrote:Poels was doing recon with Froome today so it looks like he'll be in the Sky team. The exclusion of Bernal from their Route de L'Occitaine line-up means he almost certainly won't be.

Egan is very likely to start, confirmed by Nicolas Portal.
User avatar DNP-Old
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,089
Joined: 06 Aug 2014 17:38
Location: Sevilla, España

Re: Pre Tour de France-thread

11 Jun 2018 20:08

DNP-Old wrote:
Parker wrote:Poels was doing recon with Froome today so it looks like he'll be in the Sky team. The exclusion of Bernal from their Route de L'Occitaine line-up means he almost certainly won't be.

Egan is very likely to start, confirmed by Nicolas Portal.

They're not going to send a 21 year old debutant to the Tour with no racing for seven weeks.
Parker
Member
 
Posts: 1,632
Joined: 04 Mar 2011 01:20

Re: Pre Tour de France-thread

11 Jun 2018 20:21

Parker wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:
Parker wrote:Poels was doing recon with Froome today so it looks like he'll be in the Sky team. The exclusion of Bernal from their Route de L'Occitaine line-up means he almost certainly won't be.

Egan is very likely to start, confirmed by Nicolas Portal.

They're not going to send a 21 year old debutant to the Tour with no racing for seven weeks.

Welp, they are.
User avatar DNP-Old
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,089
Joined: 06 Aug 2014 17:38
Location: Sevilla, España

Re: Pre Tour de France-thread

11 Jun 2018 22:18

DNP-Old wrote:
Parker wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:
Parker wrote:Poels was doing recon with Froome today so it looks like he'll be in the Sky team. The exclusion of Bernal from their Route de L'Occitaine line-up means he almost certainly won't be.

Egan is very likely to start, confirmed by Nicolas Portal.

They're not going to send a 21 year old debutant to the Tour with no racing for seven weeks.

Welp, they are.

We shall see. If he is I'd expect him to be training with Froome right now. But he isn't.
Parker
Member
 
Posts: 1,632
Joined: 04 Mar 2011 01:20

Re: Pre Tour de France-thread

12 Jun 2018 03:37

Parker wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:
Parker wrote:Poels was doing recon with Froome today so it looks like he'll be in the Sky team. The exclusion of Bernal from their Route de L'Occitaine line-up means he almost certainly won't be.

Egan is very likely to start, confirmed by Nicolas Portal.

They're not going to send a 21 year old debutant to the Tour with no racing for seven weeks.


Why not?

He will ride into form just like Puff Daddy did at the Giro. :eek:

... and by the 3rd week, specifically on stage 19th, he will drop everyone on the Col de Tourmalet climb and will ride solo off the front for the least 100+km gaining 10+ minutes on everyone else.
User avatar Jancouver
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,555
Joined: 14 Mar 2009 22:03
Location: San Diego, USA

Re: Pre Tour de France-thread

12 Jun 2018 04:23

Parker wrote:Poels was doing recon with Froome today so it looks like he'll be in the Sky team. The exclusion of Bernal from their Route de L'Occitaine line-up means he almost certainly won't be.

I think on the contrary!
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,337
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 18:38
Location: USA - Central Time

Re:

12 Jun 2018 04:54

dacooley wrote:i'll be pretty surprised to see bernal in providing froome is allowed to start. with thomas, kwiato, moscon as helpful allrounders, poels as a right hand man on the key multi-mountain stages, castroviejo as a reliable helper on flat and hills and puccio/row/van barle as 2 flat domestics, the young colombian is simply not needed

Good mountain domestiques are always needed. Always.
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade
Member
 
Posts: 1,657
Joined: 23 Jan 2016 17:30

12 Jun 2018 06:04

instead of who he can be realistically included?
dacooley
Member
 
Posts: 1,664
Joined: 30 May 2015 15:37

Re: Pre Tour de France-thread

12 Jun 2018 06:43

Maybe this whole Bernal story is just in case Froome gets banned? G becomes leader, Bernal sits at the back of the peloton until week 2 and joins the train then.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,687
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], johnymax, Singer01 and 29 guests

Back to top