Register

Pre Tour de France-thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Pre Tour de France-thread

12 Jun 2018 07:05

Robert5091 wrote:Maybe this whole Bernal story is just in case Froome gets banned? G becomes leader, Bernal sits at the back of the peloton until week 2 and joins the train then.

Gets banned from what exactly? :confused:
The case wont be resolved until after the Tour, the ASO will get **** if they even try to block him.
The only way Froome doesnt reach the start line is if he himself decides to not take on the race, which aint happening under normal circumstances.
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

12 Jun 2018 10:10

Parker wrote:Poels was doing recon with Froome today so it looks like he'll be in the Sky team. The exclusion of Bernal from their Route de L'Occitaine line-up means he almost certainly won't be.

Fin anything I'd say it's an indication he will be. I mean if he doesn't have a goal in the coming weeks why would they not just let him ride if he hasn't ridden a race for so long. I think they want the Quintana 2013 approach which has already worked once for a young climber
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

12 Jun 2018 10:30

Gigs_98 wrote:
Parker wrote:Poels was doing recon with Froome today so it looks like he'll be in the Sky team. The exclusion of Bernal from their Route de L'Occitaine line-up means he almost certainly won't be.

Fin anything I'd say it's an indication he will be. I mean if he doesn't have a goal in the coming weeks why would they not just let him ride if he hasn't ridden a race for so long. I think they want the Quintana 2013 approach which has already worked once for a young climber

Exactly, they are taking the Quintana-approach and it worked brilliantly for him after a tough spring.

Honestly it would have been way cooler to see him in Dauphine, Burgos and La Vuelta, but I still cant say that Im not excited about the prospect of Bernal this Tour. Hope he wont lose that much time the first 9 days.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

12 Jun 2018 10:46

I would be really excited for Bernal in the Tour, except for the fact that he rides for Sky.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

12 Jun 2018 12:11

Everything I've seen and heard would suggest Sky's team will be Froome, Thomas, Poels, Bernal, Castroviejo, Kwiato, Moscon and van Baarle. I'd be surprised if it's anything else. Goes without saying really, but it's scary strong, with all bases covered, especially if Kwiato and Moscon can get back into their 2017 TdF and Vuelta form, respectively, in the period between the Dauphine and the Tour.
King Of The Wolds

12 Jun 2018 19:41

King Of The Wolds wrote:Everything I've seen and heard would suggest Sky's team will be Froome, Thomas, Poels, Bernal, Castroviejo, Kwiato, Moscon and van Baarle. I'd be surprised if it's anything else. Goes without saying really, but it's scary strong, with all bases covered, especially if Kwiato and Moscon can get back into their 2017 TdF and Vuelta form, respectively, in the period between the Dauphine and the Tour.

Agree, this seems the most likely option, I think only Rowe instead of Van Baarle could be an option, but Van Baarle is the better rider.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

12 Jun 2018 19:53

Valv.Piti wrote:
King Of The Wolds wrote:Everything I've seen and heard would suggest Sky's team will be Froome, Thomas, Poels, Bernal, Castroviejo, Kwiato, Moscon and van Baarle. I'd be surprised if it's anything else. Goes without saying really, but it's scary strong, with all bases covered, especially if Kwiato and Moscon can get back into their 2017 TdF and Vuelta form, respectively, in the period between the Dauphine and the Tour.

Agree, this seems the most likely option, I think only Rowe instead of Van Baarle could be an option, but Van Baarle is the better rider.

I think the cobbles speak against Bernal getting a shot this year.

He is a shoe in for the Vuelta though
Broccolidwarf

12 Jun 2018 19:56

Broccolidwarf wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:

I think the cobbles speak against Bernal getting a shot this year.

He is a shoe in for the Vuelta though

Not only the cobbles, also the whole first week with TTT and nervous wind stages.
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

12 Jun 2018 20:16

Im talking about selections, not necessarily doing well GC-wise
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

12 Jun 2018 20:56

Sky and the Top Dawg would be daft to take Bernal
rick james

12 Jun 2018 22:24

There's no chance Rowe doesn't make the team.

If Bernal is going to be in the team, why is he not out riding in the Alps with Froome, Thomas, Poels and Kwiatkowski at the moment? The man's never ridden with Froome before, surely they'd get together.
Parker

12 Jun 2018 22:40

Parker wrote:

If Bernal is going to be in the team, why is he not out riding in the Alps with Froome, Thomas, Poels and Kwiatkowski at the moment? The man's never ridden with Froome before, surely they'd get together.

This season I expected much more from Van Baarle but I believe Sky will choose him instead of Rowe, it is a difficult choice, and this year can be really important because of the cobbled stage.

I don't believe they bring both once they have Moscon that is an impressive rider that can do all types of works.
Brt147

13 Jun 2018 20:29

Parker wrote:

Unless he's not back at his best after his accident last year.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

13 Jun 2018 20:48

RedheadDane wrote:
Parker wrote:

Many would say he looked in better shape than van Baarle in the spring. Rowe has done the last three Tours for Sky and van Baarle has never ridden with Froome. With one fewer rider this year, they'll go with tried and trusted riders.
Parker

13 Jun 2018 21:42

MatParker117

13 Jun 2018 21:45

Parker wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:
Parker wrote:

Many would say he looked in better shape than van Baarle in the spring. Rowe has done the last three Tours for Sky and van Baarle has never ridden with Froome. With one fewer rider this year, they'll go with tried and trusted riders.

They were together in the Ruta del Sol race
CTQ

13 Jun 2018 22:14

CTQ wrote:
Parker wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:
Parker wrote:

They were together in the Ruta del Sol race

That's true. I still don't expect them to dispense with their road captain for no good reason though.
Parker

13 Jun 2018 22:41

The Tour is over.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

Re:

13 Jun 2018 23:25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdHGNePXu0o the Gave de Pau, june 13

just to give you an idea, le Gave de Pau that runs through Pau, the end of stage 18 and Lourdes, the start of stage 19.
CTQ

14 Jun 2018 01:29

i didn't realize stage 12 will have +5.000mts..
Today Kwia recon;
https://www.strava.com/activities/1636159046
User avatar Jungle Cycle

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing