Register

Pre Tour de France-thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

14 Jun 2018 04:25

Red Rick wrote:I would be really excited for Bernal in the Tour, except for the fact that he rides for Sky.

his prospects might not have looked so sweet and exciting had he ridden for a different team. ;)
dacooley

Re:

14 Jun 2018 07:19

Jungle Cycle wrote:i didn't realize stage 12 will have +5.000mts..
Today Kwia recon;
https://www.strava.com/activities/1636159046

I think Strava over exaggerates vertical gain, but yeah, its a monster stage.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re: Re:

14 Jun 2018 08:19

Valv.Piti wrote:
Jungle Cycle wrote:i didn't realize stage 12 will have +5.000mts..
Today Kwia recon;
https://www.strava.com/activities/1636159046

I think Strava over exaggerates vertical gain, but yeah, its a monster stage.

yeah i get different readings from different devices
del1962
Veteran

Re:

14 Jun 2018 09:38

Red Rick wrote:I would be really excited for Bernal in the Tour, except for the fact that he rides for Sky.

well, that´s why I am excited for him riding the Tour ;)
pastronef

14 Jun 2018 11:29

Bernal at Tdf, that's excellent! :razz:
On Sunday,15th of July we will first have 9th stage of Tour and after that a final of Football WC..
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

Re:

14 Jun 2018 11:47

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:Bernal at Tdf, that's excellent! :razz:
On Sunday,15th of July we will first have 9th stage of Tour and after that a final of Football WC..

Denmark winning both? :cool:
Broccolidwarf

14 Jun 2018 12:03

Broccolidwarf wrote:

Moscon or Terpstra winning stage 9 and then at the WC in Russia... ...oopps :D :D
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

Re: Pre Tour de France-thread

14 Jun 2018 12:05

Aubisque descent heavily damaged following thunderstorms.

Stage 19 could be modified if the authorities think they won't be able to repair the road in time.

There has been several precedents these past few years:

- In 2017, there has been a similar event on the col d'Agnes (stage 13) with a damaged road. They managed to repair it in less than a month, allowing the race to take the usual route.
- In 2016, there were concerns regarding possible landslides on the col de la Ramaz (stage 20). For safety, col de la Ramaz has been removed from the Etape du Tour amateur event, but the route was unchanged for the Tour - however the Caravane had to avoid it.
- In 2015, a huge landslide above the Tunnel du Chambon (stage 20) damaged the structure of the tunnel and made it unsuitable for the race. After several inspections, it was too dangerous for the safety of the riders, and even later, they realized they had to dig an entire new tunnel to replace the old one, which would take 18 months - and had also to create an additional road on the other side of the lac du Chambon. As a result for theT Tour, the col du Galibier had to be replaced by the col de la Croix-de-Fer.
- In 2013, thunderstorms destroyed roads on the col du Tourmalet (not planned for this year) and in the Garonne valley between Saint-Béat and Bagnères-de-Luchon, threatening to remove the col de Menté from the route. But the damage was lower than expected, and after repairs and cleaning, the route was kept as is.
- In 2008, a huge risk of crumblings on the col de Larche forced ASO to take another route three months before the race: they had to move the start city from Digne-les-Bains to Embrun, and take the col Agnel for the first time in its history.
Linkinitouille

14 Jun 2018 12:45

That looks serious. I hope they can repair it in time, because it's an important stage.
La fatica in montagna per me è poesia (Fatigue in the mountains is poetry to me) - Marco Pantani
Van een ezel kunt ge geen koerspaard maken (You can't turn a donkey into a race horse) - Patrick Lefevere
User avatar Pantani_lives

14 Jun 2018 12:53

Broccolidwarf wrote:

Ups, Denmark will be beaten by Argentina in 1/8... :D
9th stage - of course won by Rafał 'The Braveheart' Majka, WC Final with Lewandowski hat-trick :D
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

14 Jun 2018 19:05

Broccolidwarf wrote:

That would be a surprise.

I like surprises.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

15 Jun 2018 07:15

http://www.velonews.com/2018/06/news/bardet-froome-take-early-peek-at-alpe-dhuez_469466
Tour de France favorites Chris Froome (Sky) and Romain Bardet (Ag2r La Mondiale) both checked out the Alpe d’Huez summit this week in training.

They might have even passed each other Wednesday on cycling’s most famous switchbacks.

Less than a month from the start of the 2018 Tour, the protagonists are busy preparing for the season’s grand tour battle across France.

Froome, hot off his dramatic and controversial victory at the Giro d’Italia, is already in the Alps scouting out some of the decisive climbs the peloton will face next month. Earlier this week, Froome posted a photo on Twitter during a training ride with teammate Wout Poels on the key climbs of stage 11. On Wednesday, the pair rode up the famed 21 switchbacks of Alpe d’Huez, which will be featured in stage 12 this year.

As predicted, by yours truely, Dawg likes those iconic climbs & if you remember the Giro, it'll be "full spin cycle" on stage 12.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

15 Jun 2018 07:28

Pantani_lives wrote:That looks serious. I hope they can repair it in time, because it's an important stage.

It depends, if they come up with something better I don't really hope so, but on the other hand, I don't trust them to do that. And such a stage which hopefully encourages action already on Tourmalet seems to be a thing of the past.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

15 Jun 2018 07:29

Robert5091 wrote:http://www.velonews.com/2018/06/news/bardet-froome-take-early-peek-at-alpe-dhuez_469466
Tour de France favorites Chris Froome (Sky) and Romain Bardet (Ag2r La Mondiale) both checked out the Alpe d’Huez summit this week in training.

They might have even passed each other Wednesday on cycling’s most famous switchbacks.

Less than a month from the start of the 2018 Tour, the protagonists are busy preparing for the season’s grand tour battle across France.

Froome, hot off his dramatic and controversial victory at the Giro d’Italia, is already in the Alps scouting out some of the decisive climbs the peloton will face next month. Earlier this week, Froome posted a photo on Twitter during a training ride with teammate Wout Poels on the key climbs of stage 11. On Wednesday, the pair rode up the famed 21 switchbacks of Alpe d’Huez, which will be featured in stage 12 this year.

As predicted, by yours truely, Dawg likes those iconic climbs & if you remember the Giro, it'll be "full spin cycle" on stage 12.

Love it.
Froome winning on ALPE D’HUEZ would be the coolest thing.
He's won on Zoncolan, Ventoux. He has to conquer Alpe and Angliru.
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

15 Jun 2018 08:48

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:
Broccolidwarf wrote:

Ups, Denmark will be beaten by Argentina in 1/8... :D
9th stage - of course won by Rafał 'The Braveheart' Majka, WC Final with Lewandowski hat-trick :D

We'll see..... the team has not lost for 15 matches in a row, so no reason to start losing at the World Cup ;)

9th stage - Fuglsang will take that one - with him and Valgren demolishing all the GC guys (except maybe Nibali and Dumoulin) on the cobbles.
Broccolidwarf

15 Jun 2018 08:55

Btw, for those that haven't noticed..... live TV coverage starts at 14.45 today :)
Broccolidwarf

Re:

15 Jun 2018 09:12

Broccolidwarf wrote:Btw, for those that haven't noticed..... live TV coverage starts at 14.45 today :)

Has the TdF already begun?! :razz:

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

15 Jun 2018 09:18

Robert5091 wrote:
Broccolidwarf wrote:Btw, for those that haven't noticed..... live TV coverage starts at 14.45 today :)

Has the TdF already begun?! :razz:

If it had, Porte's form would be well timed ;)
Broccolidwarf

15 Jun 2018 09:26

http://inrng.com/2018/06/thursday-shorts-26/#more-33724
See the “B” on the profile above? This is another novelty in the Tour de France rules for 2018 is the “bonus point”, an intermediate sprint with no points for the points competition but instead with time bonuses of 3-2-1 seconds for the first three riders to the point and only for the first nine stages. It’s designed to spice up the race for the yellow jersey a bit more, but what chance the Stage 3 team time trial sees the GC prised apart with large gaps?

Yawn .... zzzz ....

User avatar Robert5091

15 Jun 2018 09:49

Sanchez confirmed today, that he is riding the TdF for Fuglsang, in an interview with Esciclismo.com.

So, the team looks like being:

Fuglsang, Kangert, Cataldo, Sanchez, Valgren, Fraile, Hansen and Cort

Would surprise me, if they put in a team entirely without kazaks.... but that is how it looks at this point in time, with Sanchez saying like he does...... I'm guessing it is due to TTT fears ahead of the tour, that both Kangert and Sanchez are late additions to the squad.

Pretty strong team IMO - provided Fuglsang can stay on his bike this time around ;)
Broccolidwarf

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing