Register

Criterium du Dauphine (2.UWT), 3-10 June

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

10 Jun 2018 16:37

Simurgh wrote:I have really grown a dislike for the Yates brothers...I am really angry right now

Can I like one while disliking the other?
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

10 Jun 2018 16:38

User avatar Alexandre B.

Re: Re:

10 Jun 2018 16:47

Jagartrott wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:I like riders who use their brain, yes.

He was 100% lucky that Navarro cracked completely. He didn't use his brain, otherwise he'd attacked earlier to make sure he won. ***** victory.

No. He was smart, and he was strong, that's why he won. He know perfectly where Navarro is, that's why he set the tempo to reach Buchmann, and get closer to Navarro with 2km to go, and then he waited and waited for Bardet to make a move and then countered. GC was out of reach, and he knew that, that's why he set his sights on the stage win, and he executed that perfectly.
User avatar Blanco

Re:

10 Jun 2018 16:47

Alexandre B. wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-sky-ag2r-clash-over-thomas-puncture-at-criterium-du-dauphine/
My dislike for buddy-buddies Sky and Mitchelton grow stronger.

What's wrong with that reaction? :o
User avatar Flamin

10 Jun 2018 16:51

Flamin wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-sky-ag2r-clash-over-thomas-puncture-at-criterium-du-dauphine/

That's an outright lie.
User avatar Alexandre B.

10 Jun 2018 16:54

Wow that is how you time a finish. A win is a win. That is what they're there for.
Son of Amsterhammer

10 Jun 2018 16:55

Alexandre B. wrote:
Flamin wrote:

That's an outright lie.

What is? That they started "sprinting"? That's pretty much how I saw it. They knew something was going on and accelerated from that moment.
User avatar Flamin

10 Jun 2018 16:58

hazaran wrote:
Blanco wrote:
Not much of destroying today? :rolleyes: And it will be much worse at Le Tour.

It will be, given that Thomas is only using this race as a tune up and couldn't care less. It was him training and the others going full pedal to the metal, the conclusive proof is him being dropped on the mountain.

Yeah, of course. Geraint said it himself: "Dauphine victory is the biggest of my career." :lol:
User avatar Blanco

10 Jun 2018 17:19

Rollthedice wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:Disgusting.

Indeed.

Oh, yes, fantastic Sky's victory. :D

EDIT: I love TTT.
Last edited by Bot. Sky_Bot on 10 Jun 2018 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

10 Jun 2018 17:19

Blanco wrote:
hazaran wrote:
Blanco wrote:
Not much of destroying today? :rolleyes: And it will be much worse at Le Tour.

It will be, given that Thomas is only using this race as a tune up and couldn't care less. It was him training and the others going full pedal to the metal, the conclusive proof is him being dropped on the mountain.

Yeah, of course. Geraint said it himself: "Dauphine victory is the biggest of my career." :lol:

I'm fairly sure hazaran was being ironic, mocking the idea that Bardet, Martin & co. (and maybe some guy called Vincenzo) are all way off Tour form, while Thomas is in the best form he can possibly achieve already.
rlntlssly

10 Jun 2018 17:42

Blanco wrote:
Jagartrott wrote:

He was 100% lucky that Navarro cracked completely. He didn't use his brain, otherwise he'd attacked earlier to make sure he won. ***** victory.

No. He was smart, and he was strong, that's why he won. He know perfectly where Navarro is, that's why he set the tempo to reach Buchmann, and get closer to Navarro with 2km to go, and then he waited and waited for Bardet to make a move and then countered. GC was out of reach, and he knew that, that's why he set his sights on the stage win, and he executed that perfectly.

Did you actually see the stage?
Navarro had about 150 m advantage according to the broadcast at less than 400 m to go. Which meant that the only way Yates could win was if (a) he had a lot left in the tank AND (b) Navarro cracked. No way, and I mean NO WAY that this would've happened yesterday with Bilbao. Hence, Yates wasn't smart, he was lucky.
User avatar Jagartrott

10 Jun 2018 18:14

Jagartrott wrote:
Blanco wrote:
Jagartrott wrote:

Navarro had about 150 m advantage according to the broadcast at less than 400 m to go. Which meant that the only way Yates could win was if (a) he had a lot left in the tank AND (b) Navarro cracked. No way, and I mean NO WAY that this would've happened yesterday with Bilbao. Hence, Yates wasn't smart, he was lucky.

What broadcast? Carlton Kirby?! :eek: Give me a break!
Yates had Navarro visually, he knew how was Navarro going, that's why he left it so late to go full gas. Luck has nothing to do with that, guy calculated his strength and his opponents strenght, and executed it perfectly. That's class, not luck!
User avatar Blanco

10 Jun 2018 18:17

The GPS indicated on screen. There were plenty of corners - Yates would have had only sporadic visual.

Whatever.
User avatar Jagartrott

10 Jun 2018 18:20

Escarabajo wrote:
Simurgh wrote:I have really grown a dislike for the Yates brothers...I am really angry right now

Can I like one while disliking the other?

I find Simon more slightly more likeable than Adam, so yeah - you're not alone.
User avatar Simurgh

10 Jun 2018 18:31

That final kilometer today was at ~ 9-10%, that should also be taken into account as whether to judge Yates' move. 15-20 seconds with 200m to go ain't much against a fading rider on such steep slopes. Hard to say it was calculated or lucky.
User avatar Flamin

10 Jun 2018 18:39

Look, if the graphic was right, Yates had to ride twice the speed of Navarro. That's impossible against someone who isn't cracking badly. That's why I say he could never have done it against Bilbao yesterday. Unless Yates can magically spot if a rider 150 m in front of him is on the verge of breaking, he was just mostly lucky.
User avatar Jagartrott

10 Jun 2018 18:42

Navarro didn’t look good. Could Yates’ DS have benntelling him this?
Son of Amsterhammer

10 Jun 2018 19:00

Flamin wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:
Flamin wrote:

That's an outright lie.

What is? That they started "sprinting"? That's pretty much how I saw it. They knew something was going on and accelerated from that moment.

But had Ag2r already gone to the front when Thomas' puncture happened?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

10 Jun 2018 19:11

Jagartrott wrote:
Blanco wrote:
Jagartrott wrote:

Do you realise that Bilbao started the final climb of 17.5 km with a lead of 33 seconds, and won by 21 seconds - I have no idea why some on this forum feel the need to denigrate riders who win races.
yaco

Re:

10 Jun 2018 19:16

Jagartrott wrote:Look, if the graphic was right, Yates had to ride twice the speed of Navarro. That's impossible against someone who isn't cracking badly. That's why I say he could never have done it against Bilbao yesterday. Unless Yates can magically spot if a rider 150 m in front of him is on the verge of breaking, he was just mostly lucky.

Kind of irrelevant whether he could have done it against Bilbao though. If it was Bilbao he might have attacked earlier, who knows. I agree there was some sort of luck involved, but like I said, it's hard to assess to what extent.
User avatar Flamin

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing