Log in:  

Register

Criterium du Dauphine (2.UWT), 3-10 June

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

10 Jun 2018 16:37

Simurgh wrote:I have really grown a dislike for the Yates brothers...I am really angry right now

Can I like one while disliking the other?
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,361
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 18:38
Location: USA - Central Time

10 Jun 2018 16:38

User avatar Alexandre B.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,604
Joined: 10 Feb 2015 20:04
Location: Paris, France

Re: Re:

10 Jun 2018 16:47

Jagartrott wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:I like riders who use their brain, yes.

He was 100% lucky that Navarro cracked completely. He didn't use his brain, otherwise he'd attacked earlier to make sure he won. ***** victory.


No. He was smart, and he was strong, that's why he won. He know perfectly where Navarro is, that's why he set the tempo to reach Buchmann, and get closer to Navarro with 2km to go, and then he waited and waited for Bardet to make a move and then countered. GC was out of reach, and he knew that, that's why he set his sights on the stage win, and he executed that perfectly.
User avatar Blanco
Member
 
Posts: 1,390
Joined: 06 Jun 2017 19:33
Location: Serbia

Re:

10 Jun 2018 16:47

Alexandre B. wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-sky-ag2r-clash-over-thomas-puncture-at-criterium-du-dauphine/
My dislike for buddy-buddies Sky and Mitchelton grow stronger.


What's wrong with that reaction? :o
User avatar Flamin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,706
Joined: 04 Jan 2011 00:31

Re: Re:

10 Jun 2018 16:51

Flamin wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-sky-ag2r-clash-over-thomas-puncture-at-criterium-du-dauphine/
My dislike for buddy-buddies Sky and Mitchelton grow stronger.


What's wrong with that reaction? :o

That's an outright lie.
User avatar Alexandre B.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,604
Joined: 10 Feb 2015 20:04
Location: Paris, France

10 Jun 2018 16:54

Wow that is how you time a finish. A win is a win. That is what they're there for.
Son of Amsterhammer
Member
 
Posts: 617
Joined: 29 Jun 2015 18:58

Re: Re:

10 Jun 2018 16:55

Alexandre B. wrote:
Flamin wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-sky-ag2r-clash-over-thomas-puncture-at-criterium-du-dauphine/
My dislike for buddy-buddies Sky and Mitchelton grow stronger.


What's wrong with that reaction? :o

That's an outright lie.


What is? That they started "sprinting"? That's pretty much how I saw it. They knew something was going on and accelerated from that moment.
User avatar Flamin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,706
Joined: 04 Jan 2011 00:31

Re: Re:

10 Jun 2018 16:58

hazaran wrote:
Blanco wrote:
Not much of destroying today? :rolleyes: And it will be much worse at Le Tour.


It will be, given that Thomas is only using this race as a tune up and couldn't care less. It was him training and the others going full pedal to the metal, the conclusive proof is him being dropped on the mountain.


Yeah, of course. Geraint said it himself: "Dauphine victory is the biggest of my career." :lol:
User avatar Blanco
Member
 
Posts: 1,390
Joined: 06 Jun 2017 19:33
Location: Serbia

Re: Re:

10 Jun 2018 17:19

Rollthedice wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:Disgusting.


Indeed.


Oh, yes, fantastic Sky's victory. :D

EDIT: I love TTT.
Last edited by Bot. Sky_Bot on 10 Jun 2018 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot
Member
 
Posts: 1,076
Joined: 20 Aug 2017 12:52

Re: Re:

10 Jun 2018 17:19

Blanco wrote:
hazaran wrote:
Blanco wrote:
Not much of destroying today? :rolleyes: And it will be much worse at Le Tour.


It will be, given that Thomas is only using this race as a tune up and couldn't care less. It was him training and the others going full pedal to the metal, the conclusive proof is him being dropped on the mountain.


Yeah, of course. Geraint said it himself: "Dauphine victory is the biggest of my career." :lol:

I'm fairly sure hazaran was being ironic, mocking the idea that Bardet, Martin & co. (and maybe some guy called Vincenzo) are all way off Tour form, while Thomas is in the best form he can possibly achieve already.
rlntlssly
Junior Member
 
Posts: 145
Joined: 22 Jul 2017 12:58

Re: Re:

10 Jun 2018 17:42

Blanco wrote:
Jagartrott wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:I like riders who use their brain, yes.

He was 100% lucky that Navarro cracked completely. He didn't use his brain, otherwise he'd attacked earlier to make sure he won. ***** victory.


No. He was smart, and he was strong, that's why he won. He know perfectly where Navarro is, that's why he set the tempo to reach Buchmann, and get closer to Navarro with 2km to go, and then he waited and waited for Bardet to make a move and then countered. GC was out of reach, and he knew that, that's why he set his sights on the stage win, and he executed that perfectly.

Did you actually see the stage?
Navarro had about 150 m advantage according to the broadcast at less than 400 m to go. Which meant that the only way Yates could win was if (a) he had a lot left in the tank AND (b) Navarro cracked. No way, and I mean NO WAY that this would've happened yesterday with Bilbao. Hence, Yates wasn't smart, he was lucky.
User avatar Jagartrott
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,581
Joined: 15 Apr 2014 13:37

Re: Re:

10 Jun 2018 18:14

Jagartrott wrote:
Blanco wrote:
Jagartrott wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:I like riders who use their brain, yes.

He was 100% lucky that Navarro cracked completely. He didn't use his brain, otherwise he'd attacked earlier to make sure he won. ***** victory.


No. He was smart, and he was strong, that's why he won. He know perfectly where Navarro is, that's why he set the tempo to reach Buchmann, and get closer to Navarro with 2km to go, and then he waited and waited for Bardet to make a move and then countered. GC was out of reach, and he knew that, that's why he set his sights on the stage win, and he executed that perfectly.

Did you actually see the stage?
Navarro had about 150 m advantage according to the broadcast at less than 400 m to go. Which meant that the only way Yates could win was if (a) he had a lot left in the tank AND (b) Navarro cracked. No way, and I mean NO WAY that this would've happened yesterday with Bilbao. Hence, Yates wasn't smart, he was lucky.


What broadcast? Carlton Kirby?! :eek: Give me a break!
Yates had Navarro visually, he knew how was Navarro going, that's why he left it so late to go full gas. Luck has nothing to do with that, guy calculated his strength and his opponents strenght, and executed it perfectly. That's class, not luck!
User avatar Blanco
Member
 
Posts: 1,390
Joined: 06 Jun 2017 19:33
Location: Serbia

10 Jun 2018 18:17

The GPS indicated on screen. There were plenty of corners - Yates would have had only sporadic visual.

Whatever.
User avatar Jagartrott
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,581
Joined: 15 Apr 2014 13:37

Re: Re:

10 Jun 2018 18:20

Escarabajo wrote:
Simurgh wrote:I have really grown a dislike for the Yates brothers...I am really angry right now

Can I like one while disliking the other?


I find Simon more slightly more likeable than Adam, so yeah - you're not alone.
User avatar Simurgh
Member
 
Posts: 695
Joined: 14 Jun 2015 20:48

10 Jun 2018 18:31

That final kilometer today was at ~ 9-10%, that should also be taken into account as whether to judge Yates' move. 15-20 seconds with 200m to go ain't much against a fading rider on such steep slopes. Hard to say it was calculated or lucky.
User avatar Flamin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,706
Joined: 04 Jan 2011 00:31

10 Jun 2018 18:39

Look, if the graphic was right, Yates had to ride twice the speed of Navarro. That's impossible against someone who isn't cracking badly. That's why I say he could never have done it against Bilbao yesterday. Unless Yates can magically spot if a rider 150 m in front of him is on the verge of breaking, he was just mostly lucky.
User avatar Jagartrott
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,581
Joined: 15 Apr 2014 13:37

10 Jun 2018 18:42

Navarro didn’t look good. Could Yates’ DS have benntelling him this?
Son of Amsterhammer
Member
 
Posts: 617
Joined: 29 Jun 2015 18:58

Re: Re:

10 Jun 2018 19:00

Flamin wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:
Flamin wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-sky-ag2r-clash-over-thomas-puncture-at-criterium-du-dauphine/
My dislike for buddy-buddies Sky and Mitchelton grow stronger.


What's wrong with that reaction? :o

That's an outright lie.


What is? That they started "sprinting"? That's pretty much how I saw it. They knew something was going on and accelerated from that moment.


But had Ag2r already gone to the front when Thomas' puncture happened?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,818
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

Re: Re:

10 Jun 2018 19:11

Jagartrott wrote:
Blanco wrote:
Jagartrott wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:I like riders who use their brain, yes.

He was 100% lucky that Navarro cracked completely. He didn't use his brain, otherwise he'd attacked earlier to make sure he won. ***** victory.


No. He was smart, and he was strong, that's why he won. He know perfectly where Navarro is, that's why he set the tempo to reach Buchmann, and get closer to Navarro with 2km to go, and then he waited and waited for Bardet to make a move and then countered. GC was out of reach, and he knew that, that's why he set his sights on the stage win, and he executed that perfectly.

Did you actually see the stage?
Navarro had about 150 m advantage according to the broadcast at less than 400 m to go. Which meant that the only way Yates could win was if (a) he had a lot left in the tank AND (b) Navarro cracked. No way, and I mean NO WAY that this would've happened yesterday with Bilbao. Hence, Yates wasn't smart, he was lucky.


Do you realise that Bilbao started the final climb of 17.5 km with a lead of 33 seconds, and won by 21 seconds - I have no idea why some on this forum feel the need to denigrate riders who win races.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,506
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re:

10 Jun 2018 19:16

Jagartrott wrote:Look, if the graphic was right, Yates had to ride twice the speed of Navarro. That's impossible against someone who isn't cracking badly. That's why I say he could never have done it against Bilbao yesterday. Unless Yates can magically spot if a rider 150 m in front of him is on the verge of breaking, he was just mostly lucky.


Kind of irrelevant whether he could have done it against Bilbao though. If it was Bilbao he might have attacked earlier, who knows. I agree there was some sort of luck involved, but like I said, it's hard to assess to what extent.
User avatar Flamin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,706
Joined: 04 Jan 2011 00:31

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 22 guests

Back to top