Register

Criterium du Dauphine (2.UWT), 3-10 June

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

10 Jun 2018 19:17

RedheadDane wrote:
Flamin wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:
Flamin wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-sky-ag2r-clash-over-thomas-puncture-at-criterium-du-dauphine/
My dislike for buddy-buddies Sky and Mitchelton grow stronger.

What's wrong with that reaction? :o

That's an outright lie.

What is? That they started "sprinting"? That's pretty much how I saw it. They knew something was going on and accelerated from that moment.

But had Ag2r already gone to the front when Thomas' puncture happened?

Yes... What are you trying to say?
User avatar Flamin

10 Jun 2018 19:18

yaco wrote:Do you realise that Bilbao started the final climb of 17.5 km with a lead of 33 seconds, and won by 21 seconds - I have no idea why some on this forum feel the need to denigrate riders who win races.

Eh, what? Bilbao won because he didn't crack. Yates' impressive sprint with 300 m to go would not have netted him a victory yesterday. What's your point exactly?
User avatar Jagartrott

10 Jun 2018 19:32

Flamin wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:
Flamin wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:
Flamin wrote:What's wrong with that reaction? :o

That's an outright lie.

What is? That they started "sprinting"? That's pretty much how I saw it. They knew something was going on and accelerated from that moment.

That there's nothing wrong with continuing an attack you've already started.

(I'd missed the first 10 minutes of the broadcast, so I wanted to make sure what had happened.)
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

10 Jun 2018 19:35

RedheadDane wrote:
Flamin wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:
Flamin wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:That's an outright lie.

That there's nothing wrong with continuing an attack you've already started.

(I'd missed the first 10 minutes of the broadcast, so I wanted to make sure what had happened.)

And I agree.
User avatar Flamin

10 Jun 2018 19:36

^ Then what's the issue? They may have started sprinting a bit, but that was totally okay.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

10 Jun 2018 19:39

RedheadDane wrote:^ Then what's the issue? They may have started sprinting a bit, but that was totally okay.

Alexandre B. calling it an outright lie, I guess. Not sure what he was on about.
User avatar Flamin

Re:

10 Jun 2018 19:52

Jagartrott wrote:
yaco wrote:Do you realise that Bilbao started the final climb of 17.5 km with a lead of 33 seconds, and won by 21 seconds - I have no idea why some on this forum feel the need to denigrate riders who win races.

Eh, what? Bilbao won because he didn't crack. Yates' impressive sprint with 300 m to go would not have netted him a victory yesterday. What's your point exactly?

Bilbao won that stage because the GC riders raced each other and ignored the leader - These things happen in races - Today the Gc riders raced themselves but the difference was the final 1.5km today was 9%, whereas yesterday the last 4kms were around 4.5% - All you are doing is unnecessarily whinging about a stage result - The four strongest riders in the race finished in the top 4 in GC
yaco

10 Jun 2018 20:00

OK, way to miss the point completely.
User avatar Jagartrott

10 Jun 2018 20:15

yaco wrote:
Jagartrott wrote:

Bilbao won that stage because the GC riders raced each other and ignored the leader - These things happen in races - Today the Gc riders raced themselves but the difference was the final 1.5km today was 9%, whereas yesterday the last 4kms were around 4.5% - All you are doing is unnecessarily whinging about a stage result - The four strongest riders in the race finished in the top 4 in GC

Did you actually take the time to read his post?.............

The point being that had Navarro, like Bilbao, just had a little more left, he would've won. Yates took that gamble and it payed to, but I agree it was too risky.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

10 Jun 2018 20:52

With the final two kilometres being what they were, it was much less of a gamble today than if Yates had tried the same yesterday. Huge differences can be made on those gradients against a breakaway rider. It's very possible that Bilbao could have been caught on today's route, and that Navarro could've hung on yesterday.
User avatar Squire

Re:

11 Jun 2018 00:28

Son of Amsterhammer wrote:Navarro didn’t look good. Could Yates’ DS have benntelling him this?

They could probably see him anyway. 30 seconds lead on a climb that steep with a tiring rider ? Don't understand the attitude to Yates. It's a race not a charity event. I guess for some people if it was Bardet or someone winning it would have been fine.
movingtarget
Veteran

11 Jun 2018 04:59

Ag2r went to the front and upped the speed - then G got a puncture. When he got back on to the peloton the GC race was as good as done. Yates' only thing left to go for was the stage victory. He got it - chapeau! That was it, back your bags and off to TdF!
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

11 Jun 2018 07:20

Squire wrote:With the final two kilometres being what they were, it was much less of a gamble today than if Yates had tried the same yesterday. Huge differences can be made on those gradients against a breakaway rider. It's very possible that Bilbao could have been caught on today's route, and that Navarro could've hung on yesterday.

Exactly!
User avatar Blanco

11 Jun 2018 07:21

Just saw the replay: what a heart breaker! You could see it in Narravo's face all the way through the last k. He knew he was cooked, he knew they were coming. Not sure it justifies hating Yates though......
User avatar The Hegelian

Re:

11 Jun 2018 07:43

The Hegelian wrote:Just saw the replay: what a heart breaker! You could see it in Narravo's face all the way through the last k. He knew he was cooked, he knew they were coming. Not sure it justifies hating Yates though......

Agreed, it’s a bike race not a tea party. He rode smart, secured his podium and won the stage, the only ridiculous or embarrassing part would have been had he failed and come 2nd on the stage.

Plus it’s not like he didn’t attack on a couple of the other stages, and ended up losing some time at the end on two of them.
User avatar Pricey_sky

Re:

11 Jun 2018 07:51

Squire wrote:With the final two kilometres being what they were, it was much less of a gamble today than if Yates had tried the same yesterday. Huge differences can be made on those gradients against a breakaway rider. It's very possible that Bilbao could have been caught on today's route, and that Navarro could've hung on yesterday.

If you leave it to 350 m to attack when the rider up the road is 150 m in front, you *need* him to crack and therefore you need luck. That's my point. It's not that hard I thought, but people keep missing it. Yates' comments after the race reinforce my opinion this was not some kind of genius riding on his part that some people here make it out to be. It was a very strong acceleration, but he needed the rider in front to ride at a snails pace the final couple of 100 m - i.e. a rider that is completely empty.
User avatar Jagartrott

Re:

11 Jun 2018 08:13

Robert5091 wrote:Ag2r went to the front and upped the speed - then G got a puncture. When he got back on to the peloton the GC race was as good as done. Yates' only thing left to go for was the stage victory. He got it - chapeau! That was it, back your bags and off to TdF!

I think this just about sums it up. Who wouldn't go for a stage victory at that point? Maybe if it was a teammate, you gift it, but breakaway riders are certainly fair game. They know the odds, and how many times have we seen the breakaway get caught in the final few hundred meters?

Regarding the Sky contention that AG2R was unsporting after Thomas's flat...as usual it's a judgment call. I would say that with 40k left on a descent, just keep riding. OTOH, if you're going uphill with a group of 5-10 favorites and the yellow jersey flats...waiting is the only sporting thing to do. Not sure why Thomas was so upset.
Bolder

11 Jun 2018 08:54

It's quite simple. Have the commissaires neutralized the race? If not, racing is always on!

Just remember, revenge is a dish best served cold :cool:
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

11 Jun 2018 08:56

Indeed Ag2r were already pushing it on the front, although they possibly started pushing a little harder once they knew Thomas wasn't there. Since they were riding already however, I don't think they had a reason to wait. The fact they continued to push even after Thomas made it back also suggests they weren't just riding against Thomas. I also heard the suggestion that they were riding for the white jersey of Latour.
Furthermore, I don't think Sky were whining that bad. Thomas didn't go up to Bardet to scold him, I think "thanks for that" is a reasonable way to respond to the situation.
I don't think it matters if you're going downhill in the peloton or uphill with only the favourites though, what matters more is if you were already riding on the front, although there are of course no written rules prohibiting you from attacking regardless.
Vasilis

Re:

11 Jun 2018 17:35

Alexandre B. wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-sky-ag2r-clash-over-thomas-puncture-at-criterium-du-dauphine/
My dislike for buddy-buddies Sky and Mitchelton grow stronger.

It's the typical Anglophone imperialist speaking here. And the typical Quick-Step hypocrite, who both share the same sense of false morality, aching to a Rudyard Kipling poem.

I've never seen anyone see apply 'fair play' so randomly as those bullies, their sense of entitlement is sickening.
Der Effe

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing