Register

Tour de Suisse (2.UWT), 9-17 June 2018

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

13 Jun 2018 19:05

Cance > TheRest wrote:Please, do that.

I think i will. Chris' and Nygaard's tactical brilliance is too much for me, I get overwhelmed!
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re: Re:

13 Jun 2018 19:24

carton wrote:
Samamba wrote:I guess we're not going to see anything from the Klausenpass tomorrow?

Doubt it. But I hope Mas or Quintana or Kelderman or someone else just goes early for the training miles tommorow and blows the race open. If this is properly raced then there could be no GC action bar for a five minute skirmish on friday (unless you count time trials as "GC action").

Hope for Mas and Quintana then.

Kelderman is not going to do anything except count on his TT or maybe his last 500m (he is pretty punchy in a sprint)
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

13 Jun 2018 19:29

Kelderman vs Porte sounds more like a last longer bet than a race. If I were Sunweb I'd let Oomen go for it.

Just saw the last 5km of today. Landa looks pretty strong.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

13 Jun 2018 19:30

Actually, he looks stupid, given he lost time.
hazaran

13 Jun 2018 19:32

yeah because it was not steep and against headwind

unfortunately for Landa I don't really see any tough mountains in Suisse this year to make a real difference. This reminds me more of the Cancellara / Tony Martin strong years in Suisse.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

13 Jun 2018 19:33

How mind numbingly dumb to actually try to win.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

13 Jun 2018 19:49

Quite funny given they have had Rettenbach the last 3 years, so this year Landa and Quintana go when all they are climbing are glorified hills. Would have loved those two going up against LRP, heck, just on one decent MTF. And no, Arosa isnt decent

And the conclusion will be: Conitnue making ****** routes, thay way we attract bigger stars than Dauphine (and no, it has NOTHING to do with the Tour starting one week later!!). Cant wait
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

13 Jun 2018 19:49

Blanco wrote:
Rollthedice wrote:Regardless of what they say, tactics and whatever, if Landa and Quintana will survive the first part of the Tour it looks inevitable that none will ride for the other and both will follow any opportunity to take time on the other.

Yeah, possibly. But, by attacking and working for themselves they could actually do something useful one for another. Like today, for example, Landa attacked to gain some time if possible, but that was a good situation for Quintana too, and had that climb been a little steeper Porte would've been in real difficult situation.
Regardless the Tour, I think Valverde will be the most aggressive of the three cause he cares the least about the GC.

Well if nothing else, I'm going to go with Landa and Quintana today have proven they are going to make the Tour entertaining even if they are more interested in beating each other than anything else.

I agree that Valverde may be the most aggressive because he has the least to loose as the Tour isn't on his goal list. Come to think of it, he may be the first rider to actually be using the Tour to get ready for the Vuelta/Worlds/Lombardi combo.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

13 Jun 2018 20:30

hazaran wrote:Actually, he looks stupid, given he lost time.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. He came within a few hundred meters of a victory. If the purpose was to test his legs, and that is what most claim the Dauphine is, a prep and test of form for the Tour, then I think he should be happy. Not all attacks end in success.

Edit: That should of course be Tour de Suisse, not Dauphine!
Last edited by Angliru on 13 Jun 2018 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

Re:

hazaran wrote:You have to be some Klaus to "rip the race apart" on some 6% incline :lol:

Last edited by Forever The Best on 13 Jun 2018 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
I think it's the sign of a clean rider and a real sportsman to be attracted to the bigger challenge over the ultimate result. Good luck with the Giro/Tour double, Chris Froome. -Phil Gaimon
Forever The Best

Angliru wrote:

Nothing ventured nothing gained. He came within a few hundred meters of a victory. If the purpose was to test his legs, and that is what most claim the Dauphine is, a prep and test of form for the Tour, then I think he should be happy. Not all attacks end in success.

What do people claim Tour de Suisse is? :p
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

13 Jun 2018 20:36

RedheadDane wrote:
Angliru wrote:

What do people claim Tour de Suisse is? :p

My bad! They both are that, prep races for the Tour, at least for many riders.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

Re:

13 Jun 2018 20:49

Broccolidwarf wrote:UAE seem to have gotten a sliver of hope the past week, after a terrible spring.

Ten wins is ok at this time of year. Not great, not terrible. They have enough quality on their roster that they were always likely to improve from their disastrous classics campaign at some point
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

Re:

13 Jun 2018 21:01

Tour de Suisse is not Landas goal.

A lot of the captains are holding back some days, and going beyond their limits others, to work their shape and test themselves.... and the other riders.

It's all preparation for the tour.

The only performances you can truly read something into IMO, are the people that get blown out the back early on climbs..... and those that appear great, like Porte.

Though the latter type, being in great shape already now, 6 weeks before fighting for the tour up Col de Portet, are going to have a fine line to walk (or ride, as it were), to not run out of steam by then..... time will tell.
Broccolidwarf

13 Jun 2018 21:14

From what Landa said he was disappointed he didn't win today because he got so close. However, he said he did prove the one thing he needed to know and that is that he is on track to be ready for the Tour. He said he's happy because he knows he's on track to do well in July which is his main goal.
User avatar Koronin

13 Jun 2018 21:57

Broccolidwarf wrote:

A lot of the captains are holding back some days, and going beyond their limits others, to work their shape and test themselves.... and the other riders.

The only performances you can truly read something into IMO, are the people that get blown out the back early on climbs..... and those that appear great, like Porte.

Though the latter type, being in great shape already now, 6 weeks before fighting for the tour up Col de Portet, are going to have a fine line to walk (or ride, as it were), to not run out of steam by then..... time will tell.

Why do you assume Porte is already in great/TDF shape? Because he was good in a laughable mountain stage, where the bunch was still 20 riders. Or am i mising something.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend

13 Jun 2018 22:03

Anybody knows if there's a live coverage from the start tomorrow?
durtyfat7

13 Jun 2018 22:35

Logic-is-your-friend wrote:
Broccolidwarf wrote:

Why do you assume Porte is already in great/TDF shape? Because he was good in a laughable mountain stage, where the bunch was still 20 riders. Or am i mising something.

Just based on how he looks and how hard BMC rides the race (remember, it's the home race).

We'll see Sunday :)
Broccolidwarf

Re:

13 Jun 2018 22:49

durtyfat7 wrote:Anybody knows if there's a live coverage from the start tomorrow?

Coverage starts 15.30 instead of 16.00 tomorrow
Der Effe

13 Jun 2018 23:46

Broccolidwarf wrote:Just based on how he looks and how hard BMC rides the race (remember, it's the home race).

We'll see Sunday :)

I don't know if BMC was riding that hard. It was Van Avermaet setting the pace for many miles. He's not exactly the mountain goat.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing