Register

Tour de Suisse (2.UWT), 9-17 June 2018

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

14 Jun 2018 15:21

SafeBet wrote:Bunch sprint uh? :D

LOL, I still think it *should* have been with more cooperation in the group, but c'est la vie. Nice to see Ritchie get his rock and roll on, too bad about Kelderman not being able to hang.
The poster formerly known as yespatterns.
User avatar GraftPunk

Re:

14 Jun 2018 15:26

Rollthedice wrote:LRP smoked everyone on that short climb. Funny how Quintana just seemed to stop.

was funny to see
Q is overrated I think. Just much more riders at his or above his level now
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

14 Jun 2018 15:30

Stage
GC
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

14 Jun 2018 15:35

gg on Porte winning the TdS btw
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

14 Jun 2018 15:55

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:gg on Porte winning the Tour btw

Im starting to hope
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: Re:

14 Jun 2018 16:07

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:
Rollthedice wrote:LRP smoked everyone on that short climb. Funny how Quintana just seemed to stop.

was funny to see

That may be, but lets not forget just how short that climb was. And nobody could follow Porte. I mean, who could? Valverde...?

I have a 2011-Evans type of feel with Quintana this year.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

14 Jun 2018 16:10

Valv.Piti wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:

was funny to see

That may be, but lets not forget just how short that climb was. And nobody could follow Porte. I mean, who could? Valverde...?

Porte is underrated on short climbs anyway
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

14 Jun 2018 16:11

Red Rick wrote:

Im starting to hope

Don't do it to yourself lol
User avatar Eclipse

14 Jun 2018 16:15

Yes Richie, I hope you will be 2nd at Tour.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

14 Jun 2018 16:26

Porte must have thought he was on Willunga Hill again - He can pull out big watts on this type of climb - Think his form is good but i worry BIG Time when he rides the cobbles.
yaco

14 Jun 2018 16:59

Porte's acceleration reminded me of his acceleration on Leysin or Alpe d'Huez last year. Just kept on the acceleration / forcing of pace for a ridiculous amount of time to the point where no one can keep following. It's hard to see him losing, but there should be big competition for the rest of the podium. Maybe Mas will surprise, he looked like he was the best of the rest along with Fuglsang today.
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest

14 Jun 2018 17:52

Eclipse wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

Im starting to hope

Indeed. I don't want to wish any misfortune on him, but we all know Richie's history . . . his intimate familiarity with the road surface.
User avatar JosephK

14 Jun 2018 17:58

JosephK wrote:
Eclipse wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

Im starting to hope

Indeed. I don't want to wish any misfortune on him, but we all know Richie's history . . . his intimate familiarity with the road surface.

Yes I have nagging doubts as well, who wouldn't after his history. But its nice to dream. If he can stay on his bike and if he can descend with confidence he can win. At least he confirmed today he is back to top form and nobody can say he peaked too early this season which is what so many were saying this time last year.
Cookster15

14 Jun 2018 18:56

Valv.Piti wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:

was funny to see

Limit the damage in the mountains and win the race in the time trial :D
skippo12

14 Jun 2018 19:32

Porte and Quintana have always had diametrically different approach to peaking at the targeted GT. Porte has always been at very high level already at his last prep race, whereas the only time Quintana was really good at his own corresponding outing, he was finished after the first week at the Tour.

I'm not sure how much improvement form-wise Porte has in him for the Tour. There is much more reason to expect such improvement from Nairo between now and July. But with him too there are reasons to be cautious - because of how his last two seasons have gone when GTs and peaking for them are concerned.
User avatar Põhja Konn

14 Jun 2018 19:36

Red Rick wrote:

Im starting to hope

He'll ruin it all by pacing Froome all the way just to get dropped by his mate when it matters.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

14 Jun 2018 19:38

Valv.Piti wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:

was funny to see

Valverde and Alaphilippe are the only two I can think of that could.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

14 Jun 2018 19:45

Põhja Konn wrote:Porte and Quintana have always had diametrically different approach to peaking at the targeted GT. Porte has always been at very high level already at his last prep race, whereas the only time Quintana was really good at his own corresponding outing, he was finished after the first week at the Tour.

I'm not sure how much improvement form-wise Porte has in him for the Tour. There is much more reason to expect such improvement from Nairo between now and July. But with him too there are reasons to be cautious - because of how his last two seasons have gone when GTs and peaking for them are concerned.

But this year Porte hasn't been in monster shape from Down under until Dauphine, he just hit peak(?) shape right now, maybe this could actually be the year that he gets his podium.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

14 Jun 2018 20:19

skippo12 wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:

was funny to see

Limit the damage in the mountains and win the race in the time trial :D

Exactly!

But seriously, nobody really believes that much in him and he hasn't gone that well this year. But if he survives that one stage and can find his Tour 2015 or Vuelta 2016 legs..
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

14 Jun 2018 20:37

Põhja Konn wrote:Porte and Quintana have always had diametrically different approach to peaking at the targeted GT. Porte has always been at very high level already at his last prep race, whereas the only time Quintana was really good at his own corresponding outing, he was finished after the first week at the Tour.

Keep telling yourself that. It's been like a decade with Nairo, guy is going nowhere.
hazaran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing