Register

Ivan Sosa discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

08 Oct 2018 16:33

Wherever he ends up, I hope it's somewhere he actually wants to be, and not somewhere he feels pressured to be because of this whole mess.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re: Ivan Sosa discussion thread

08 Oct 2018 16:42

My understanding is a few days ago UCI confirmed Trek's verbal agreement with Sosa as legal despite it not signed, but Sosa has now rejected it anyway, which he can legally do assuming Sky will pay the UCI fine, so he can reject it I assume?
samhocking

08 Oct 2018 16:45

User avatar Squire

08 Oct 2018 16:47

I'm no longer a fan. Money hungry and rider agent ruined this guy. I couldn't care less about his career
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

08 Oct 2018 16:50

RedheadDane wrote:Wherever he ends up, I hope it's somewhere he actually wants to be, and not somewhere he feels pressured to be because of this whole mess.

I think that ship has sailed. If he ends up at TREK, he'll feel pressured, legally obligated. If he joins Sky, i'm pretty sure he isn't doing it because it's the worlds warmest team or best for his development, but because he thinks it's the "best" option financially and the feeling he "needs" to do this for his financial future.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend

Re:

08 Oct 2018 16:52

MatParker117 wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sosa-edges-closer-to-team-sky/

It's Sky

That's just grand. :(
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

08 Oct 2018 16:53

Then maybe he needs to just stay at Androni.
Stay with what he knows, and let things cool down a little. He's young, he can try for a WT contract for the 2020 season.

Yeah, that was a reply to Logic's post. Stop ninjaing me!
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

08 Oct 2018 17:02

RedheadDane wrote:Then maybe he needs to just stay at Androni.
Stay with what he knows, and let things cool down a little. He's young, he can try for a WT contract for the 2020 season.

Not going to happen

Sosa has a long way to go to get my support.
User avatar Kwibus
Veteran

08 Oct 2018 17:05

Time to introduce financial fair play in cycling.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend

Re:

08 Oct 2018 17:16

Apparently it's too late for that. The UCI has no power other than to fine the rider if in fact there was a signed contract. This would be an opportune moment to start making changes in how to prevent situations such as this otherwise any team with an unfair advantage in the depth of their pockets can simply snatch any rider they desire, pay the rider's fine and stack their lineup with all the top tier talent. Riders ambitions will be compromised for the sake of financial security. Some type of arbitration should be taking place to control what is ethical and what is not. Rider signs contract. A better offer arises after-the-fact and rider makes agreement with new team making better offer to pay the fine in order to guarantee rider jumps ship. It shouldn't be that easy.
Last edited by Angliru on 08 Oct 2018 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

08 Oct 2018 17:19

Surely he did definitely want to join Trek at first…
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

08 Oct 2018 17:29

RedheadDane wrote:Surely he did definitely want to join Trek at first…

If this wasn't just a rumour but fact, initially he also said that he didn't want to ride for Sky because it would limit his immediate opportunities. It appears they persuaded him monetarily and with the promise that he wouldn't be solely riding in support of others.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

Re: Re:

08 Oct 2018 17:37

Angliru wrote:

Apparently it's too late for that. The UCI has no power other than to fine the rider if in fact there was a signed contract. This would be an opportune moment to start making changes in how to prevent situations such as this otherwise any team with an unfair advantage in the depth of their pockets can simply snatch any rider they desire, pay the rider's fine and stack their lineup with all the top tier talent. Riders ambitions will be compromised for the sake of financial security. Some type of arbitration should be taking place to control what is ethical and what is not. Rider signs contract. A better offer arises after-the-fact and rider makes agreement with new team making better offer to pay the fine in order to guarantee rider jumps ship. It shouldn't be that easy.

In the cyclingnews article a couple days ago there was a mention that the clause in his contract that would allow him to move to a WT team was only valid until July 31st, and that as a result if he rejects the Trek offer he may be forced to honor his contract with Androni for another year.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

08 Oct 2018 17:42

LaFlorecita wrote:
Angliru wrote:

In the cyclingnews article a couple days ago there was a mention that the clause in his contract that would allow him to move to a WT team was only valid until July 31st, and that as a result if he rejects the Trek offer he may be forced to honor his contract with Androni for another year.

Who's gonna enforce that?
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

08 Oct 2018 17:46

Red Rick wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:
Angliru wrote:

Who's gonna enforce that?

The UCI if Trek or Sosa's previous managers decide to make a case of it.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re:

08 Oct 2018 18:11

Logic-is-your-friend wrote:Time to introduce financial fair play in cycling.

why is that?
rick james

08 Oct 2018 18:35

The only source for the most recent CN article appears to be Acquadro. That doesn’t mean that it’s automatically wrong, but it’s not necessarily correct either. Pretty much any other team would be better news from a fan’s point of view.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

08 Oct 2018 19:18

If it continues like this it will only take a few more years until the top three of the tdf all come from one team. And I'm not even kidding. Sky seemingly has the financial capacity to every year sign the most promising gc rider. I'm just massively happy Evenepoel has signed for QS but then again, long way to go for him, as of now the potential hasn't been proven on the big stage.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

08 Oct 2018 19:29

Gigs_98 wrote:If it continues like this it will only take a few more years until the top three of the tdf all come from one team. And I'm not even kidding. Sky seemingly has the financial capacity to every year sign the most promising gc rider. I'm just massively happy Evenepoel has signed for QS but then again, long way to go for him, as of now the potential hasn't been proven on the big stage.

The new Chinese team claim to have a bigger budget than Sky, so give it a few months and Sky might also be asking for a budget cap.
User avatar GuyIncognito

08 Oct 2018 19:41

This really sucks. Really dislike Sky and Sosa for this.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing