Register

TdF 2018 stage 3 TTT Cholet 35.5 km

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

09 Jul 2018 18:58

Much ado about nothing - Riders often have bad day or need 100+ kms to warm up their legs - You are in a TT and you have nowhere to hide - Expect sagan to be at the pointy end in tomorrow's final.
yaco

Re:

09 Jul 2018 19:08

yaco wrote:Much ado about nothing - Riders often have bad day or need 100+ kms to warm up their legs - You are in a TT and you have nowhere to hide - Expect sagan to be at the pointy end in tomorrow's final.

I was a little bit scared. There was info that he supposed to do 18 seconds pulls, and he was lucky to stay with team 10 km. I feel sorry for Majka a little bid. He needed this TTT to be much better.
Last edited by SKSemtex on 09 Jul 2018 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar SKSemtex

Re:

09 Jul 2018 19:19

durtyfat7 wrote:I didn't watch the whole stage. Is it true that Landa was struggling and Movistar had to slow down for him?

They barely showed Movistar so if it's true you'd have no idea. Valverde's comment after the stage was that the time loss was within what was expected.
User avatar Koronin

09 Jul 2018 19:46

So QS admit mistakes and that Jungels road too fast, surely he should know in TTT that if you feel strong you ride for longer not increase your speed.
User avatar b.broadhurst

09 Jul 2018 19:48

No **** QS made mistakes, they should be fined another 30 seconds - what the hell is their DS doing driving in front of riders when their team is imploding. Stay the **** back.
hazaran

Re:

09 Jul 2018 19:52

Broccolidwarf wrote:Top 5 more or less as expected, though Sunweb and Mitchelton are closer than I would have guessed - good rides by them.

Rides of the day for me:

EF and Astana, both delivering much better than expected, with the injuries they suffered.

Acceptable performances from Movistar, Bahrain, AG2R and Bora (Majka definitely riding GC).

Disappointing times by Katusha, Lotto NL, Trek and UAE.

I half expected UAE to lose 2 minutes or more, so I would say having Martin as close as he is, is a decent effort for them. He’ll still be a marked man on the Quimper and Mur de Bretagne stages, but he’ll be less of a threat to the heads of state.
Leinster

Re: Re:

09 Jul 2018 20:05

del1962 wrote:
Amazinmets87 wrote:Who is most likely to be in yellow after stage 6?

G

Alaphillipe has a shot.
Juan Pelota

Re:

09 Jul 2018 20:11

hazaran wrote:No **** QS made mistakes, they should be fined another 30 seconds - what the hell is their DS doing driving in front of riders when their team is imploding. Stay the **** back.

Woah.. Calm down there
User avatar Kwibus
Veteran

09 Jul 2018 20:18

Juan Pelota wrote:
del1962 wrote:
Amazinmets87 wrote:Who is most likely to be in yellow after stage 6?

G

Alaphillipe has a shot.

Alaphilippe and Gilbert both have a shot at it in that stage. Although GVA could hold onto it through the cobbled stage.
User avatar Koronin

09 Jul 2018 20:20

SKSemtex wrote:
yaco wrote:Much ado about nothing - Riders often have bad day or need 100+ kms to warm up their legs - You are in a TT and you have nowhere to hide - Expect sagan to be at the pointy end in tomorrow's final.

I was a little bit scared. There was info that he supposed to do 18 seconds pulls, and he was lucky to stay with team 10 km. I feel sorry for Majka a little bid. He needed this TTT to be much better.

Me too.

I have not seen him that bad except for in the fall of 2014 and usually he is so freaking consistent and is the rider that makes the others suffer in hilly TTTs - plus it's the first time ever he hasn't finished with the team in a TTT. So perhaps he really is sick. Tomorrow should be an easy day, and even sick he might still get involved in the sprint because he positions himself so effortlessly.

But he needs to be good Wednesday.
User avatar tobydawq

09 Jul 2018 21:47

Good for Tommy D & Uran - Chapeau Craddock! Landa would be glad with a 2 second lead over Froome at the start of the day.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

09 Jul 2018 21:54

Robert5091 wrote:Good for Tommy D & Uran - Chapeau Craddock! Landa would be glad with a 2 second lead over Froome at the start of the day.

From Landa's comments after the stage he is. He said if someone had told him before the Tour started that he'd have a 2 second lead on Froome after the TTT he'd have taken it and been happy as he was expensive to be about a minute behind Froome after the TTT. He said he considers the first 3 stages to be very good overall.
User avatar Koronin

09 Jul 2018 22:21

I heard today that Froome was doing 45sec pulls (the move podcast maybe?) Anyone know if that’s true? If so he must be feeling great. Good ride by TD also, he did some monster turns and is completely under the GC radar it seems, sneaking up on everyone and could easily get more time on some mountain goats before the week is over. In fact, the top 4-5 virtual GC guys are also amongst the strongest on cobbles and classics style racing. This years tdf is extremely well designed to favor a broad spectrum of abilities, although I suspects we’ll be left with the usual suspects come week 3.

A little side bet: How many minutes will Zakarin loose on the cobbles? Or will he dnf?
«Sky helped for the GC, so did BMC - a lot of teams tried but one rider isn't enough. Not against De Gendt. He's like 10 riders.»
Oude Geuze

09 Jul 2018 22:23

Koronin wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:Good for Tommy D & Uran - Chapeau Craddock! Landa would be glad with a 2 second lead over Froome at the start of the day.

From Landa's comments after the stage he is. He said if someone had told him before the Tour started that he'd have a 2 second lead on Froome after the TTT he'd have taken it and been happy as he was expensive to be about a minute behind Froome after the TTT. He said he considers the first 3 stages to be very good overall.

Landa will be even happier with his lead over Quintana :lol:
del1962
Veteran

Re:

09 Jul 2018 22:25

Oude Geuze wrote:I heard today that Froome was doing 45sec pulls (the move podcast maybe?) Anyone know if that’s true? If so he must be feeling great. Good ride by TD also, he did some monster turns and is completely under the GC radar it seems, sneaking up on everyone and could easily get more time on some mountain goats before the week is over. In fact, the top 4-5 virtual GC guys are also amongst the strongest on cobbles and classics style racing. This years tdf is extremely well designed to favor a broad spectrum of abilities, although I suspects we’ll be left with the usual suspects come week 3.

A little side bet: How many minutes will Zakarin loose on the cobbles? Or will he dnf?

G felt he had much left in tank as he was on front on downhills, he could take another minute out of Froome on stage 9 :lol:
del1962
Veteran

10 Jul 2018 01:16

Why did LottoNL-Jumbo do a poor time, as compared with others, having some of the best time trailers on the team?
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

10 Jul 2018 01:48

Koronin wrote:

Fully agree. Regular programming would have Froome up by a minute or more at this stage of the race and more over Bardet / Nibali. Froome is also going to have to deal with the Thomas factor. Does he work or does he not?
User avatar thehog
Veteran

Re:

10 Jul 2018 11:42

Escarabajo wrote:Why did LottoNL-Jumbo do a poor time, as compared with others, having some of the best time trailers on the team?

Lotto's roster for TdF is not all that strong TT-wise, apart from Roglic.
Wij steunen hem, tenzij hij niet genoeg fietst.
Anderis

10 Jul 2018 12:53

Anderis wrote:
Escarabajo wrote:Why did LottoNL-Jumbo do a poor time, as compared with others, having some of the best time trailers on the team?

I thought Kruijswijk and Gesink were decent time trialers. Oh well.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

10 Jul 2018 13:47

Escarabajo wrote:
Anderis wrote:

I thought Kruijswijk and Gesink were decent time trialers. Oh well.

In almost every team you would be able to find SOME decent time trialers. Even Cofidis has some TT power with Laporte and Herrada.
But to finish higher than lower mid-pack, you need a bit more than that.

The last season in which Gesink was consistently good in TTs was 2015.
Last edited by Anderis on 10 Jul 2018 13:50, edited 1 time in total.
Wij steunen hem, tenzij hij niet genoeg fietst.
Anderis

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing