Log in:  

Register

TdF 2018 stage 3 TTT Cholet 35.5 km

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

10 Jul 2018 13:48

https://www.nu.nl/tour-de-france-2018/5355707/bedrijfsgeheim-van-dumoulin-en-sunweb-in-ploegentijdrit.html

So Sunweb also have the science part down. They know the aerodynamic and power values of their selected riders and put the data through a data simulation on the course of the TTT to calcualte the ideal setup. And then ride by that plan. They were happy to only lose 11 seconds to BMC with this particular team set-up.

Interesting stuff.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 23,333
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

Re: Re:

10 Jul 2018 13:59

Anderis wrote:
Escarabajo wrote:
Anderis wrote:
Escarabajo wrote:Why did LottoNL-Jumbo do a poor time, as compared with others, having some of the best time trailers on the team?

Lotto's roster for TdF is not all that strong TT-wise, apart from Roglic.

I thought Kruijswijk and Gesink were decent time trialers. Oh well.

In almost every team you would be able to find SOME decent time trialers. Even Cofidis has some TT power with Laporte and Herrada.
But to finish higher than lower mid-pack, you need a bit more than that.

The last season in which Gesink was consistently good in TTs was 2015.


So how do you explain Astanas ride yesterday? ;)
Broccolidwarf
Member
 
Posts: 666
Joined: 26 Mar 2015 14:18
Location: Procrasti Nation

Re: Re:

10 Jul 2018 14:09

Broccolidwarf wrote:
Anderis wrote:
Escarabajo wrote:
Anderis wrote:
Escarabajo wrote:Why did LottoNL-Jumbo do a poor time, as compared with others, having some of the best time trailers on the team?

Lotto's roster for TdF is not all that strong TT-wise, apart from Roglic.

I thought Kruijswijk and Gesink were decent time trialers. Oh well.

In almost every team you would be able to find SOME decent time trialers. Even Cofidis has some TT power with Laporte and Herrada.
But to finish higher than lower mid-pack, you need a bit more than that.

The last season in which Gesink was consistently good in TTs was 2015.


So how do you explain Astanas ride yesterday? ;)

They just did well to maximise what they had.

Fuglsang is in good TT form, as shown in Tour de Suisse.
Gruzdev once finished 6th in WC ITT.
Kangert has always been solid TT-er.
Valgren can also be good on a good day and he's grown into an exceptional all-around rider recently.
Wij steunen hem, tenzij hij niet genoeg fietst.
Anderis
Member
 
Posts: 1,721
Joined: 10 May 2013 20:16

10 Jul 2018 15:25

LottoNL had the quality but just started to slowly. They admitted they were too careful
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 23,333
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

Re:

10 Jul 2018 17:46

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:https://www.nu.nl/tour-de-france-2018/5355707/bedrijfsgeheim-van-dumoulin-en-sunweb-in-ploegentijdrit.html

So Sunweb also have the science part down. They know the aerodynamic and power values of their selected riders and put the data through a data simulation on the course of the TTT to calcualte the ideal setup. And then ride by that plan. They were happy to only lose 11 seconds to BMC with this particular team set-up.

Interesting stuff.

Short of winning the stage by a big margin, I think finishing 11s down was the best result Sunweb could have hoped for. No yellow jersey to defend, flying under the radar, but negligible time loss at this point.

Don’t suppose you could provide a good translation of the article, it sounds interesting.
Leinster
Member
 
Posts: 647
Joined: 10 Jun 2017 06:44

11 Jul 2018 07:27

You have to think that if the steppers hadn't blown apart they could have won the TTT
del1962
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,563
Joined: 16 Oct 2012 17:20

Re: Re:

11 Jul 2018 10:14

Leinster wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:https://www.nu.nl/tour-de-france-2018/5355707/bedrijfsgeheim-van-dumoulin-en-sunweb-in-ploegentijdrit.html

So Sunweb also have the science part down. They know the aerodynamic and power values of their selected riders and put the data through a data simulation on the course of the TTT to calcualte the ideal setup. And then ride by that plan. They were happy to only lose 11 seconds to BMC with this particular team set-up.

Interesting stuff.

Short of winning the stage by a big margin, I think finishing 11s down was the best result Sunweb could have hoped for. No yellow jersey to defend, flying under the radar, but negligible time loss at this point.

Don’t suppose you could provide a good translation of the article, it sounds interesting.


I've got no translation, but I'd be happy with one too.
If you check Sunweb's FB there's a 3 min video about the TTT with some interesting details about this simulation stuff as well. Worth watching!
User avatar kiszol
New Member
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 07 Oct 2017 21:00

Previous

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 120mmStem, 70kmph, aarononymous, AICA ribonucleotide, Akuryo, alspacka, alter, Ap1, archa55, Aristarchus, Asero831, Billie, BlackWhiteEagle, Blobs, bob.a.feet, Boleyn, Bye Bye Bicycle, Cance > TheRest, Cancelled, cantalupe, Carols, Cinemaniak, Climbing, clydesdale, Corrections, davebqvst, DDavies, Dekker_Tifosi, dfromdub, dgodave, dubexcalibur, Eclipse, euphrades, Finn84, Flax_Generous, Forever The Best, franic, glassmoon, Google Adsense [Bot], Googolplex, GraftPunk, halfnormal, happytramp, hfer07, Hugo Koblet, ice&fire, IndianCyclist, infeXio, JackRabbitSlims, jaylew, jsem94, JThomas, Kazistuta, Logic-is-your-friend, LosBrolin, markene2, MartinGT, Melo, MightyWheelSucker, mojomonkey, momus, Moose McKnuckles, mrgorilla, MuskyOurSaviour, OmieeZF, ontheroad, Pantani Attacks, PapaD, pitchnduel, ppanther92, Põhja Konn, RattaKuningas, Red Rick, rick james, rlntlssly, rokopt, Rollthedice, ruamruam, SafeBet, Salvarani, saneguy, Scarponi, Screecher, Singer01, slosada, SoNiK4, spalco, StephenC2020, Suck_Out, sulgpallur, T-Nielsen, Tank Engine, The Blues, The Hitch, The Tristero, therhodeo, thrawn, tobydawq, vcampbell, vedrafjord, vino2001, VO2 Max, wirral, woodburn, yawron, zastomito, Zinoviev Letter, Zoophonic and 736 guests

Back to top