Register

TDF 2018 Stage 4 - La Baule - Sarzeau 195 km

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Who will win this stage?

Fernando Gaviria
40%
Peter Sagan
15%
Dylan Groenewegen
20%
Marcel Kittel
11%
Arnaud Demare
2%
Sonny Colbrell
3%
Mark Cavendish
3%
Andre Greipel
1%
Alexander Kristoff
1%
Other
2%

Total votes : 87

Re:

10 Jul 2018 16:07

Screecher wrote:Not a fan of riders that don't bother to learn english. No idea what's Gaviria saying.

He speaks English pretty well.

And very snobbish comment by the way. Why not learn Spanish if you want to understand what Spanish talking people say?
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

10 Jul 2018 16:08

Screecher wrote:Not a fan of riders that don't bother to learn english. No idea what's Gaviria saying.

There are multiple interviews of him in English. Obviously with a strong accent, but still understandable.
User avatar Akuryo

Re:

10 Jul 2018 16:08

Zinoviev Letter wrote:It was the same at the Giro and really it’s been the same all year - Quickstep’s sprinter support is a huge advantage for whoever is on the end of their lead out. It’s actually hard to work out where their sprinters rank against their peers because they always have that advantage.

You should give sprinter more credit. Sometimes having a good leadout isnt even good, look at Viviani losing sprints in Giro because of that. Gav is crazy strong to hold everyone behind him like that.
User avatar Vroome.exe

Re: Re:

10 Jul 2018 16:09

tobydawq wrote:

And very snobbish comment by the way. Why not learn Spanish if you want to understand what Spanish talking people say?

It was the winner's interview. I feel like English should be spoken but that's just me.
User avatar Screecher

10 Jul 2018 16:11

Screecher wrote:
tobydawq wrote:

It was the winner's interview. I feel like English should be spoken but that's just me.

Its 100x times better to speak your native language if you dont want to get 2011 Contador or 2004 Basso interviews.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re: TDF 2018 Stage 4 - La Baule - Sarzeau 195 km

I really thought there was a slight gap in the peleton but I guess it wasn`t big enough to be counted.
Riders like Mollema, Kruijswijk and Landa really benefit from the 3s ruling on flat stages.
skippo12

Screecher wrote:
tobydawq wrote:

It's in France... Why not in French?
User avatar slosada

Zinoviev Letter wrote:
Lequack wrote:
Screecher wrote:What a leadout from QS. Gaviria might honestly win all the flat stages if they continue like this.

Maybe next year the other teams will try a different tactics rather than waiting for a sprint finish and keep losing to Quickstep. But i doubt it.

Why would teams with a fast sprinter swap a reasonable chance of beating Quickstep in a sprint for nearly no chance of winning with “different tactics” on a flat stage with a headwind?

Sagan has already taken one sprint and was close today. Greipel would have won today with better timing. Groenewegen and Kittel know that they are fast enough to win if they position themselves better. At the Giro QS had a dominant sprint team and the most successful sprinter this year but Bora still won three stages with a sprinter. Quickstep have the best sprinter-train combination at this race as they have at most races but they are entirely beatable and are in fact beaten quite often.

Well if they're so beatable why don't they beat them.
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack

Screecher wrote:
tobydawq wrote:

By a Spanish speaker. In a French race. In Brittany.
VO2 Max

10 Jul 2018 16:13

Vroome.exe wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:It was the same at the Giro and really it’s been the same all year - Quickstep’s sprinter support is a huge advantage for whoever is on the end of their lead out. It’s actually hard to work out where their sprinters rank against their peers because they always have that advantage.

You should give sprinter more credit. Sometimes having a good leadout isnt even good, look at Viviani losing sprints in Giro because of that. Gav is crazy strong to hold everyone behind him like that.

Why should I give them more credit? Being on the end of the Quickstep lead out is a very big advantage. Saying that isn’t an attack on the sprinters concerned. They still have to be fast. But they wouldn’t win as often without their advantage and because they have that advantage it’s hard to work out where they stand against their rivals judged only on their own merits. I really don’t see how saying that is controversial.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

Zinoviev Letter wrote:
Lequack wrote:
Screecher wrote:What a leadout from QS. Gaviria might honestly win all the flat stages if they continue like this.

Maybe next year the other teams will try a different tactics rather than waiting for a sprint finish and keep losing to Quickstep. But i doubt it.

Why would teams with a fast sprinter swap a reasonable chance of beating Quickstep in a sprint for nearly no chance of winning with “different tactics” on a flat stage with a headwind?

Sagan has already taken one sprint and was close today. Greipel would have won today with better timing. Groenewegen and Kittel know that they are fast enough to win if they position themselves better. At the Giro QS had a dominant sprint team and the most successful sprinter this year but Bora still won three stages with a sprinter. Quickstep have the best sprinter-train combination at this race as they have at most races but they are entirely beatable and are in fact beaten quite often.

Very good points
roosters76

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Pfff, Groenewegen boxed in and too far. Rode by far the fastest sprint but you don't win races like that.

Meanwhile Gaviria gets them at a golden platter with the train

Lol.

Of course you are going faster when coming from behind as opposed to sitting in 2nd wheel that long. Its called aerodynamics.
Last edited by Valv.Piti on 10 Jul 2018 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

10 Jul 2018 16:15

Not a fan of professional cyclists who don't even bother speaking Breton when they win a stage in Brittany. Disgraceful behaviour
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do"
User avatar bob.a.feet

So Richeze & Gaviria are the new Renshaw & Cav huh?
User avatar Jancouver

Zakarin was the only GC contender who lost time. 59 seconds.
User avatar fantomas

Re:

10 Jul 2018 16:16

Jancouver wrote:So Richeze & Gaviria are the new Renshaw & Cav huh?

And usually Keisse does the Eisel :D
User avatar Akuryo

10 Jul 2018 16:16

Screecher wrote:
tobydawq wrote:

Is cycling a traditionally English speaking sport? The paradigm may have shifted in recent decades, but 20 years ago I'd bet more cycling fans spoke Spanish as their first language.
Amazinmets87

Re:

10 Jul 2018 16:18

What an arrogant thing to say.
The Barb

10 Jul 2018 16:20

Btw, Sagan's career TdF's second place no. 20!

Ouch!
roosters76

10 Jul 2018 16:20

Amazinmets87 wrote:
Screecher wrote:
tobydawq wrote:

Is cycling a traditionally English speaking sport? The paradigm may have shifted in recent decades, but 20 years ago I'd bet more cycling fans spoke Spanish as their first language.

I don't mind them using their own language but they should also do interviews in English. One in their own language and one in English.
User avatar Screecher

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing