Register

TDF 2018 Stage 4 - La Baule - Sarzeau 195 km

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Who will win this stage?

Fernando Gaviria
40%
Peter Sagan
15%
Dylan Groenewegen
20%
Marcel Kittel
11%
Arnaud Demare
2%
Sonny Colbrell
3%
Mark Cavendish
3%
Andre Greipel
1%
Alexander Kristoff
1%
Other
2%

Total votes : 87

Re:

10 Jul 2018 16:21

Screecher wrote:Not a fan of riders that don't bother to learn english. No idea what's Gaviria saying.

His English is ok
rick james

Re: Re:

10 Jul 2018 16:22

Screecher wrote:
Amazinmets87 wrote:
Screecher wrote:
tobydawq wrote:
Screecher wrote:Not a fan of riders that don't bother to learn english. No idea what's Gaviria saying.

He speaks English pretty well.

And very snobbish comment by the way. Why not learn Spanish if you want to understand what Spanish talking people say?

It was the winner's interview. I feel like English should be spoken but that's just me.

Is cycling a traditionally English speaking sport? The paradigm may have shifted in recent decades, but 20 years ago I'd bet more cycling fans spoke Spanish as their first language.

I don't mind them using their own language but they should also do interviews in English. One in their own language and one in English.

How do you figure that out? They can express themselves more clearly in their own language and translation is provided. What an entitled snob.
rainman

10 Jul 2018 16:22

Screecher wrote:
Amazinmets87 wrote:
Screecher wrote:
tobydawq wrote:

And very snobbish comment by the way. Why not learn Spanish if you want to understand what Spanish talking people say?

It was the winner's interview. I feel like English should be spoken but that's just me.

Is cycling a traditionally English speaking sport? The paradigm may have shifted in recent decades, but 20 years ago I'd bet more cycling fans spoke Spanish as their first language.

I don't mind them using their own language but they should also do interviews in English. One in their own language and one in English.

Is this a wind up?
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

10 Jul 2018 16:25

Screecher wrote:
Amazinmets87 wrote:
Screecher wrote:
tobydawq wrote:

What accent do you prefer? American? British? Aussie? We should inform the peloton so that they can appease you.
User avatar benzwire

10 Jul 2018 16:26

I can understand saying learning English would be good for their popularity or whatever, but "should"? This is the kind of entitlement reaching a world cup semi fosters lol.
alspacka

10 Jul 2018 16:27

roosters76 wrote:Btw, Sagan's career TdF's second place no. 20!

Ouch!

Also equals Zabel's record, 89 green jerseys.
User avatar fantomas

Re: TDF 2018 Stage 4 - La Baule - Sarzeau 195 km

10 Jul 2018 16:31

Sagan needs one podium next 2 stages to get the ratio better than 1/3 in terms podium/ TDF Stages
If I calculated right he has 38/113 right now.
User avatar SKSemtex

10 Jul 2018 16:33

Ouch!

That's an incredible statistic.
User avatar spalco
Veteran

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Pfff, Groenewegen boxed in and too far. Rode by far the fastest sprint but you don't win races like that.

There's absolutely nothing to suggest that he rode a faster sprint than the 3 podium finishers. Did you see how long Greipel and Gav were in the wind?
Last edited by jaylew on 10 Jul 2018 16:53, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

That crash 5 km out was weird. A bike just popped up in the air out of the middle of the peloton with no visible rider and went cartwheeling down the road. Not sure if it was Benoot's bike - he stayed down. Also Domont looked badly hurt
User avatar Eyeballs Out

10 Jul 2018 16:34

Zinoviev Letter wrote:
Vroome.exe wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:It was the same at the Giro and really it’s been the same all year - Quickstep’s sprinter support is a huge advantage for whoever is on the end of their lead out. It’s actually hard to work out where their sprinters rank against their peers because they always have that advantage.

You should give sprinter more credit. Sometimes having a good leadout isnt even good, look at Viviani losing sprints in Giro because of that. Gav is crazy strong to hold everyone behind him like that.

Why should I give them more credit? Being on the end of the Quickstep lead out is a very big advantage. Saying that isn’t an attack on the sprinters concerned. They still have to be fast. But they wouldn’t win as often without their advantage and because they have that advantage it’s hard to work out where they stand against their rivals judged only on their own merits. I really don’t see how saying that is controversial.

How many riders would have won today from Gaviria's position while having Gav on their wheel or anywhere close to them? I mean it certainly helps to have a team like that, but sprinting from the front would only work for two or three sprinters. And Gav definitely knows how to surf wheels if he needs that.
User avatar Vroome.exe

10 Jul 2018 16:37

spalco wrote:

Ouch!

That's an incredible statistic.

Not bad for the second-class sprinter. :D
User avatar SKSemtex

10 Jul 2018 16:37

what is with people saying that Gaviria gets stuff on a gold platter and how he is not the fastest? people quickly forgot how he came into everyone's radar...by beating Cav in 2015 with the "great" lead out train of Coldeportes team!
gmedina

10 Jul 2018 16:43

I didn't watch Alberto for his accent
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

Re:

10 Jul 2018 16:46

gmedina wrote:what is with people saying that Gaviria gets stuff on a gold platter and how he is not the fastest? people quickly forgot how he came into everyone's radar...by beating Cav in 2015 with the "great" lead out train of Coldeportes team!

Does it matter if he is or isn't the fastest? He's winning and that's what matters.
User avatar Screecher

10 Jul 2018 16:49

jaylew wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Pfff, Groenewegen boxed in and too far. Rode by far the fastest sprint but you don't win races like that.

There's was absolutely nothing to suggest that he rode a faster sprint than the 3 podium finishers. Did you see how long Greipel and Gav were in the wind?

Its DT that was frustrated in the heat of the moment by Groenewegen getting his *** kicked by Gaviria and QS.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

10 Jul 2018 17:02

Chapeau Gaviria & QS! Thought Greipel would get it, but ... Nasty crash with 4 km to go - Zakarin got caught up in that - not good for his GC hopes.
Hope Domont & Benoot are not too badly hurt. 1 less for Bardet's team it seems.

BMC v QS tomorrow?
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

10 Jul 2018 17:06

Vroome.exe wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:
Vroome.exe wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:It was the same at the Giro and really it’s been the same all year - Quickstep’s sprinter support is a huge advantage for whoever is on the end of their lead out. It’s actually hard to work out where their sprinters rank against their peers because they always have that advantage.

You should give sprinter more credit. Sometimes having a good leadout isnt even good, look at Viviani losing sprints in Giro because of that. Gav is crazy strong to hold everyone behind him like that.

Why should I give them more credit? Being on the end of the Quickstep lead out is a very big advantage. Saying that isn’t an attack on the sprinters concerned. They still have to be fast. But they wouldn’t win as often without their advantage and because they have that advantage it’s hard to work out where they stand against their rivals judged only on their own merits. I really don’t see how saying that is controversial.

How many riders would have won today from Gaviria's position while having Gav on their wheel or anywhere close to them? I mean it certainly helps to have a team like that, but sprinting from the front would only work for two or three sprinters. And Gav definitely knows how to surf wheels if he needs that.

I don’t know why you are responding to a statement you apparently agree with as if I had implied that Quickstep’s sprinters only win because of their team and aren’t fast at all. As you say yourself “it certainly helps to have a team like that”.

I think that Gaviria and Viviani both belong in the elite tier of sprinters, but it is hard to say where exactly they rank in that tier because they have support that isn’t just better, it’s on a completely different level. At its most basic level they are always, always placed in a position to contest the sprint, which can’t be said for most other sprinters. Of course they usually aren’t just placed so that they can contest the win, they are more often than not also placed so as to have an actual advantage in the sprint. On top of that, they also have teammates who can (and when they are facing a sprinter they perceive as equal or faster often do) protect their wheel from rivals or in other ways make life harder for them.

That doesn’t turn donkeys into race horses. But it does turn elite sprinters into bulk winners. And frankly I’d expect any of the ten or so best sprinters to rack up a huge number of wins if they were on QS.
Last edited by Zinoviev Letter on 10 Jul 2018 17:35, edited 1 time in total.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

Re:

10 Jul 2018 17:10

gmedina wrote:what is with people saying that Gaviria gets stuff on a gold platter and how he is not the fastest? people quickly forgot how he came into everyone's radar...by beating Cav in 2015 with the "great" lead out train of Coldeportes team!

I remember how people used to say that Cavendish was winning mainly thanks to the Columbia sprint train. Then he went to Sky and won 3 TdF stages in a team built around Wiggins' GC.

I think a sprint train doesn't make that much of a difference. It decreases the chances of getting boxed but not much more than that. It's just often the best team is built around the best rider so there might be an impression of a rider owing his wins to his team-mates. But it often turns out that the same riders are winning even on those days when their trains didn't do that well.
Wij steunen hem, tenzij hij niet genoeg fietst.
Anderis

Re:

10 Jul 2018 17:25

Robert5091 wrote:Chapeau Gaviria & QS! Thought Greipel would get it, but ... Nasty crash with 4 km to go - Zakarin got caught up in that - not good for his GC hopes.
Hope Domont & Benoot are not too badly hurt. 1 less for Bardet's team it seems.

BMC v QS tomorrow?

v BORA :)
User avatar SKSemtex

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing