Log in:  

Register

Pre La Vuelta-thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Pre La Vuelta-thread

28 Jul 2018 17:52

With tomorrow's ever so boring parade in Paris, it's time to get ready for the real deal, the coup de grâce: La Vuelta. This is where Giro-peakers and burst TDF dreams come together. This is where bunch sprints are a complete no show. Climbing from Málaga to Madrid. In this thread we speculate, from team selections to race favourites and so on.

La Vuelta is known for making scrubs Grand Tour stage winners. Jonas Vangenechten and Sander Armée have won a stage in a Grand Tour: it happened here, in La Vuelta. One fun little twist to this years race however, is Innsbruck. It's very much a possibility some starters will wave the white flag halfway through the race, in order to get to the World Championships in the best shape possible.

Some confirmed to start big guns. Please, feel free to complete:
Sunweb: Kelderman
Lotto Soudal: Benoot, Lambrecht (only first half of the race)
BMC: Porte, Teuns
Lotto Jumbo: Bennett, Kruijswijk, van Poppel
Astana: López
Mitchelton-Scott: S. Yates, Caleb Ewan
Bahrain: I. Izagirre, V. Nibali(*)
Cofidis: N. Bouhanni
Quick-Step: Mas, Viviani(?)
FDJ: Pinot
BORA: P. Sagan, Buchmann
Katusha: Zakarin
Team Sky: Kwiatkowski
Movistar: Valverde, Landa, N. Quintana
EF Education: Uran
UAE: Aru
User avatar DNP-Old
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,226
Joined: 06 Aug 2014 17:38
Location: Sevilla, España

28 Jul 2018 17:59

Porte to win or retire
hazaran
Member
 
Posts: 424
Joined: 14 Jul 2015 00:37

28 Jul 2018 18:15

Add to the Moviestar:possibly Carapaz.He'll ride Ordizia next tuesday..so a change of schedule for him
capuldemetal
Junior Member
 
Posts: 299
Joined: 01 Jul 2015 16:08

28 Jul 2018 18:29

Whoever recovers best out of Porte or Nibali. Valverde fans to get over excited even though he hasn't looked like a genuine gc contender for doing years.
Singer01
Member
 
Posts: 1,109
Joined: 18 Nov 2013 19:04

28 Jul 2018 18:31

Can't imagine Nibali will go for GC.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,525
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re:

28 Jul 2018 18:47

Singer01 wrote:Whoever recovers best out of Porte or Nibali. Valverde fans to get over excited even though he hasn't looked like a genuine gc contender for doing years.


This Tour is the first reason I have got to not believe he will win the Vuelta.
User avatar tobydawq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,059
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

28 Jul 2018 18:47

In which stage will Kelderman fall (possible with Porte combo?)
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 24,032
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

Re: Pre La Vuelta-thread

28 Jul 2018 18:53

This race is wide open. There is ofc the chance of Porte completely dominating, but if he doesn't I have no clue what's gonna happen. I pray for Nibali to be in shape to contend for the gc, but I don't think that's realistic. If he can start he will try to ride himself into shape and might get a stage or two in the last two weeks.

Enric Mas ftw :D
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,750
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

28 Jul 2018 18:55

Any chance Quintana has a miracle career resurrection?
DanielSong39
Member
 
Posts: 1,053
Joined: 15 Jul 2016 13:03

Re: Pre La Vuelta-thread

28 Jul 2018 19:05

Just took a look at the route again and I still don't like it. Stage 20 is pretty much the only stage where you can attack before the final climb and while many stages aren't exactly flat they often have a hilly finale which might not be quite hard enough to shake off the sprinters, so there could actually be quite a lot of bunch sprints in this editions. I find that really sad as the hard medium mountain stages have provided a lot of entertainment in 2015 and 2017 but for some reason they still only make those kind of stages every 2nd year. Then again, we have no Contador this year anyway, so it probably wouldn't have been as good anyway.

Still the Vuelta pretty much always delivers as a good grand tour with a close battle and this years edition hopefully won't be an exception. Porte is the only one who I can see running away with it, but then again it's Porte. You really can't be certain about him until he reaches the finish line on stage 21.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,750
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

28 Jul 2018 19:11

This is one of the worst routes I've ever seen. This can only be a terrible race.
I think it's the sign of a clean rider and a real sportsman to be attracted to the bigger challenge over the ultimate result. Good luck with the Giro/Tour double, Chris Froome. -Phil Gaimon
Forever The Best
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,148
Joined: 15 Apr 2016 16:10

28 Jul 2018 21:45

Enric Mas will win this bike race! :cool:
User avatar Akuryo
Member
 
Posts: 1,538
Joined: 19 Apr 2014 10:20
Location: OWL, Germany

28 Jul 2018 21:48

I just went to check the route and again making the same mistakes as in previous year.

Stage 2 is featured as flat for the sprinters. You be the judge:

Image
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,359
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 18:38
Location: USA - Central Time

Re: Re:

29 Jul 2018 00:22

tobydawq wrote:
Singer01 wrote:Whoever recovers best out of Porte or Nibali. Valverde fans to get over excited even though he hasn't looked like a genuine gc contender for doing years.


This Tour is the first reason I have got to not believe he will win the Vuelta.



Agreed. Along with a comment he made today. Something about the Vuelta is only to get ready for the Worlds or something odd.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,789
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Pre La Vuelta-thread

29 Jul 2018 01:17

Thomas should go do the double, probably win the Veulta by 4 minutes plus
Scarponi
Member
 
Posts: 1,670
Joined: 21 Apr 2015 08:56

29 Jul 2018 05:08

If Porte is ever going to win a GT it is this one. Made for him. After all the talk about Sky leadership in GTs they look pretty weak here, unless G doubles up (no hint of that though). I was hoping Bernal would get a leadership role at the Vuelta but it seems that De La Cruz will get that.
dastott
Junior Member
 
Posts: 89
Joined: 23 Jul 2012 00:23

29 Jul 2018 05:18

Sagan is doing the Vuelta?
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,361
Joined: 09 May 2010 08:08

29 Jul 2018 05:27

Redemption Richie ? Movistar will talk it up as usual. Aru who knows ? Uran could do well and Lopez. Nibali might just use it for the Worlds.Yates probably learnt some lessons from the Giro and has to be a chance. Pinot should be thereabouts if his health holds out. Zakarin podium at best more like top five. Kelderman could do okay as well as George Bennett. Looks pretty open. Plenty of riders looking for their first GT win.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,509
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re: Pre La Vuelta-thread

29 Jul 2018 09:19

Gigs_98 wrote:Just took a look at the route again and I still don't like it. Stage 20 is pretty much the only stage where you can attack before the final climb and while many stages aren't exactly flat they often have a hilly finale which might not be quite hard enough to shake off the sprinters, so there could actually be quite a lot of bunch sprints in this editions. I find that really sad as the hard medium mountain stages have provided a lot of entertainment in 2015 and 2017 but for some reason they still only make those kind of stages every 2nd year. Then again, we have no Contador this year anyway, so it probably wouldn't have been as good anyway.

Still the Vuelta pretty much always delivers as a good grand tour with a close battle and this years edition hopefully won't be an exception. Porte is the only one who I can see running away with it, but then again it's Porte. You really can't be certain about him until he reaches the finish line on stage 21.

I would say it's garbage in imagination and general mountain stage design.

But I would also say that at least the garbage is balanced, and they don't put in 6 mountain stages with big climbs in the wrong places to camouflage the disbalance in their races. The Vuelta in the last years has done a great job on at least being exciting for 10 minutes every other stages, and actually having an open race where you don't know the winner after 10 stages.

But yeah this Vuelta is particularly Vuelta-y
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,525
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

29 Jul 2018 09:53

S. Yates vs. Porte vs. Quintana
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz
Member
 
Posts: 1,575
Joined: 06 Apr 2016 08:06

Next

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Nirvana and 32 guests

Back to top