Register

2020 Tokyo Olympics - road race course

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: 2020 Tokyo Olympics - road race course

09 Aug 2018 19:49

The women's route is a shame. An absolute joke. A scandal. Someone should be fired.

The men's route isn't terrible, made for a small group (5-6 riders) sprint it seems. The sentimental in me thinks that if you put the sacred mountain on that course, it should be as a MTF: not in the middle. Otherwise, skip it, let helicopter views show Fuji-san towering over the race.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

09 Aug 2018 19:54

The women's route is horrible and there's no reason for it to be so bad.
User avatar Koronin

09 Aug 2018 20:03

Tonton wrote:The women's route is a shame. An absolute joke. A scandal. Someone should be fired.

The men's route isn't terrible, made for a small group (5-6 riders) sprint it seems. The sentimental in me thinks that if you put the sacred mountain on that course, it should be as a MTF: not in the middle. Otherwise, skip it, let helicopter views show Fuji-san towering over the race.

I usually don't engage much in design discussions but having a MTF in an Olympic race would be absolutely horrible.
User avatar tobydawq

09 Aug 2018 20:09

tobydawq wrote:
Tonton wrote:The women's route is a shame. An absolute joke. A scandal. Someone should be fired.

I usually don't engage much in design discussions but having a MTF in an Olympic race would be absolutely horrible.

...as a rule I agree, not as a once in a while occurrence. The same goes for RRWC. There're no such one-day races on the calendar, it would be unique. And with national teams, it could be some great racing. I think...
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

09 Aug 2018 20:17

Remove one of the sham events like the Team Sprint or the BMX and introduce a Hillclimb Olympic road medal, men's and women's hillclimb, and have the Fuji stage from the Tour of Japan!

No, really, definitely get rid of the team sprint and reinstate some of the proper distance track events, or the kilo.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

Re:

09 Aug 2018 20:29

Libertine Seguros wrote:Remove one of the sham events like the Team Sprint or the BMX and introduce a Hillclimb Olympic road medal, men's and women's hillclimb, and have the Fuji stage from the Tour of Japan!

No, really, definitely get rid of the team sprint and reinstate some of the proper distance track events, or the kilo.

Sounds like a good idea to me.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

09 Aug 2018 22:01

Libertine Seguros wrote:Remove one of the sham events like the Team Sprint or the BMX and introduce a Hillclimb Olympic road medal, men's and women's hillclimb, and have the Fuji stage from the Tour of Japan!

MTT on Mount Fuji
Yummy
Please resurrect Pantani

The haiku of the day :) .
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

Re:

09 Aug 2018 22:06

Koronin wrote:Olympic teams are 5 men for some and less for other countries. Also anyone who races the ITT MUST race the road race at the Olympics. Spain could have an interesting team. Valverde has said he wants one more shot and I can't see how Spain doesn't take Landa and Soler.

I'm pretty sure that Alarcon will be leader by then.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran

09 Aug 2018 22:24

As I said when discussing the length of the TT for the Euro champs, the men and women should race the same course at Olympics, Worlds, Euros, Nats. I'd like to see it at all races, but smaller promoters might not be able to afford to. If they really have the need to chop off distance, chop off the crap part not the best part.
jmdirt

Re:

09 Aug 2018 22:52

Lance Armstrong wrote:I don't mind course like this, but didn't we a have one for climbers in Rio?

Yeah, but the 2 climbers crashed! :D
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

09 Aug 2018 22:56

I don't mind this profile. I am tired of flat courses even if last one was hard enough. I really dislike an Olympic event being a massive sprint.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re:

10 Aug 2018 05:57

Escarabajo wrote:I don't mind this profile. I am tired of flat courses even if last one was hard enough. I really dislike an Olympic event being a massive sprint.

Out of the 6 Olympic RR where pro's were allowed, none has finished in a massive sprint and only London had a flattish course.
rghysens

Re:

10 Aug 2018 06:37

Escarabajo wrote:I don't mind this profile.

Agreed. The course isn't great at all, but at least we'll see meaningful action when they hit the steep climb.

4865 meters isn't a crazy amount at that distance when most of it is false flat or at moderate gradients that every good rider who isn't a pure sprinter can handle. It's just the steep climb that kills some dreams. But that's less than 700 altitude meters of proper hard climbing.

I wouldn't even rule out Alaphilippe if he can find a way to match his Tour de France form.
Last edited by 18-Valve. (pithy) on 10 Aug 2018 06:38, edited 1 time in total.
18-Valve. (pithy)

10 Aug 2018 06:38

Japan being Japan (I live here) - if the Japanese in power were making the decisions, i.e. if it's some old school people doing it, then it's not surprising the women's course is inferior to the mens'. In general the people here are wonderful. But the political mindset is different. This is a country where medical universities doctor/downgrade female students' results, (saying they were worried that women would have children and then quit), where the views from outdoor onsens (hot springs) for the men's baths are always better than the women's, and countless other instances. Basically women's rights here - though on the rise - are way behind the west.

If it was an international committee making the decisions than even more shame, as they should know better. At least in Japan it's understandable as it's been bred into the culture, and even the language.
dusty red roads

Re:

10 Aug 2018 12:40

jmdirt wrote:As I said when discussing the length of the TT for the Euro champs, the men and women should race the same course at Olympics, Worlds, Euros, Nats. I'd like to see it at all races, but smaller promoters might not be able to afford to. If they really have the need to chop off distance, chop off the crap part not the best part.

This.

It is baffling to me as to why any sport that is endurance based does not allow women to compete over exactly the same course as the men. Women have as good endurance as men. The fact that they have slightly less strength/power simply means that they will complete the course in a slightly slower time.

And since the organisers have already gone to the trouble to set one course up, why give themselves more work by altering that route? Just start the women's race a little earlier. How bloody hard can it be? :rolleyes:
User avatar gregrowlerson

10 Aug 2018 14:08

An outsider will win this. Tim Wellens or Birdsong
Asero831

Re: Re:

10 Aug 2018 22:26

gregrowlerson wrote:
jmdirt wrote:As I said when discussing the length of the TT for the Euro champs, the men and women should race the same course at Olympics, Worlds, Euros, Nats. I'd like to see it at all races, but smaller promoters might not be able to afford to. If they really have the need to chop off distance, chop off the crap part not the best part.

This.

It is baffling to me as to why any sport that is endurance based does not allow women to compete over exactly the same course as the men. Women have as good endurance as men. The fact that they have slightly less strength/power simply means that they will complete the course in a slightly slower time.

And since the organisers have already gone to the trouble to set one course up, why give themselves more work by altering that route? Just start the women's race a little earlier. How bloody hard can it be? :rolleyes:

Exactly. At the Richmond Worlds the difference between the Men's race and the Women's and U-23 was the start. The Women and U-23 both started at the start/finish line, while the Men's race started at Richmond U. The majority of the race was over the identical same circuit, the Men just had a lot more laps and the U-23 race was a few more laps. I did think the Women's and U-23 should have had the same number of laps. Also the U-23 and women's ITT was the same while the men's was a totally different ITT course.
User avatar Koronin

13 Aug 2018 08:25

The Norwegians are considering complaining about the toughness of the course.

I don't recall the Colombians doing something similar about every World's course the last 20 years.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

13 Aug 2018 10:12

tobydawq wrote:The Norwegians are considering complaining about the toughness of the course.

I don't recall the Colombians doing something similar about every World's course the last 20 years.

Another level of retardation. For a moment I thought it was the Norwegian women who wanted a tougher course, then I thought to myself that I was stupid for even getting that thought.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re: Re:

13 Aug 2018 10:21

Valv.Piti wrote:
tobydawq wrote:The Norwegians are considering complaining about the toughness of the course.

Another level of retardation. For a moment I thought it was the Norwegian women who wanted a tougher course, then I thought to myself that I was stupid for even getting that thought.

Poor Kristoff didn't take his chance in 2012. How sad for him.
User avatar tobydawq

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing