Log in:  

Register

Grand Tour winners in the peloton today

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

20 Sep 2018 13:36

del1962 wrote:Just had a look at start of 2010

Future Winners in peloton at the time

Nibali (that year)
Andy *
Scarponi *
Cadel
Cobo
Hesejedal
Wiggo
Froome
Papa
G

Atleast 5 out of these 10 names would've been an absolute joke back in 2010.

Nibali and Cadel, fine. Andy and Scarponi are somewhat discutable. Wiggins is a bit of a stretch aswell.
The rest is hilarious.
Breh
Member
 
Posts: 903
Joined: 24 Jun 2015 14:57

20 Sep 2018 17:57

Did you know that, in 2013, there were 16 active riders who had won a GT (a record)? You're welcome. :)
Last edited by AnatoleNovak on 21 Sep 2018 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
AnatoleNovak
New Member
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 03 Aug 2017 12:17

Re: Re:

20 Sep 2018 18:32

Breh wrote:
del1962 wrote:Just had a look at start of 2010

Future Winners in peloton at the time

Nibali (that year)
Andy *
Scarponi *
Cadel
Cobo
Hesejedal
Wiggo
Froome
Papa
G

Atleast 5 out of these 10 names would've been an absolute joke back in 2010.

Nibali and Cadel, fine. Andy and Scarponi are somewhat discutable. Wiggins is a bit of a stretch aswell.
The rest is hilarious.

Actually it would have seemed ridiculous to claim Andy would only win one gt in his career. He was basically a more proven version of what Bernal is now.

Anyway, this list is super weird. 9 of those 10 riders won one of the next 12 gt's, and only two of the 9 won more than one gt. Those numbers are extreme. In the following 12 gt's (from 2014 to 2017) there were only 3 new gt winners. Moreover as you wrote, who on earth expected Cobo, Hesjedal, Froome, Horner and Thomas to ever get anywhere near a gt win. Two good but not great climbers, a complete noname, a once good rider who is already extremely old and a track specialist.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,765
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

Re: Re:

20 Sep 2018 19:21

Gigs_98 wrote:
Breh wrote:
del1962 wrote:Just had a look at start of 2010

Future Winners in peloton at the time

Nibali (that year)
Andy *
Scarponi *
Cadel
Cobo
Hesejedal
Wiggo
Froome
Papa
G

Atleast 5 out of these 10 names would've been an absolute joke back in 2010.

Nibali and Cadel, fine. Andy and Scarponi are somewhat discutable. Wiggins is a bit of a stretch aswell.
The rest is hilarious.

Actually it would have seemed ridiculous to claim Andy would only win one gt in his career. He was basically a more proven version of what Bernal is now.

Anyway, this list is super weird. 9 of those 10 riders won one of the next 12 gt's, and only two of the 9 won more than one gt. Those numbers are extreme. In the following 12 gt's (from 2014 to 2017) there were only 3 new gt winners. Moreover as you wrote, who on earth expected Cobo, Hesjedal, Froome, Horner and Thomas to ever get anywhere near a gt win. Two good but not great climbers, a complete noname, a once good rider who is already extremely old and a track specialist.

Seriously, if you'd have posted those names with the question 'who's most likely to win a GT in their career?' 95% votes Schleck with the remaining 5% asking if OP is in his right mind.

Part of me died a little when seeing that list.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,670
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re:

20 Sep 2018 22:24

rick james wrote:Thomas break through at 32...big f#cking lols

I know. That’s why he’s Clinic material.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,944
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Re:

21 Sep 2018 17:36

AnatoleNovak wrote:Did you know that, in 2013, there were 16 active riders who had won a GT (a record)? You're welcome. :)


Due to popular demand, another stat: there were 7 active riders who had won a GT in 1995, the lowest number since 1945.
Last edited by AnatoleNovak on 21 Sep 2018 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
AnatoleNovak
New Member
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 03 Aug 2017 12:17

Re:

21 Sep 2018 18:22

rick james wrote:Thomas break through at 32...big f#cking lols


Apparently someone didn't read the original post. It says grand tour breakthrough, specifically the riders first top 10 finish in a grand tour.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,329
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

Previous

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: zlev11 and 35 guests

Back to top