Register

Rate the 2018 Vuelta

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Rate the Vuelta

3%
6%
20%
34%
20%
9%
4%
3%
No votes
1%

Total votes : 70

18 Sep 2018 13:21

I gave it a 7. One of the things I really enjoy is seeing the little guys come through for stage wins and this edition Delivered! That plus the KOM was a worthy fight and after years of watching De Gendt work he finally gets a nice prize. Add in that it was stage 20 before we Really knew who would win. I Loved seeing fresh young faces standing on the podium and Mas gained a spot in my heart along with Roglic from the Tour. With my major favorite aging out it's great to have fresh blood to root for :). All in all I found it satisfying!
Alberto Contador=Legend!

Nibali becomes only the 6th winner of all 3 GTS (2014)!
Nibali joins Gimondi, Merckx and Hinault as only the 4th man to win all 3 GTS and 2 different Monuments (2018). A throwback rider in this age of specialization. Bravo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

18 Sep 2018 13:31

Better than the other GTs this year, despite the lack of GC competition compared to expectations before the race. Probably a 7/10.
blackcat wrote:you must respect the Cobra, a man who can give himself his own nickname. he trancends hubris.
User avatar luckyboy
Veteran

18 Sep 2018 15:37

7 The third week was exciting but the other weeks were ordinary
2nd best behind the Giro
IndianCyclist

18 Sep 2018 15:48

3. Shouldn't be rated higher than Giro or Tour.
For:
- fresh blood, amazing how young The Podium was;
- S.Yates win, really deserved, he wasn’t riding in such spectacular way as in Giro, but he proved he is one of the best Top-Five GT guys;
- Mas, yes, amazing and unexpected;
- not so many drunk spectators (?), but for sure not such visible;

Against:
- so many boring stages, only few memorable: Pinot’s win at Covadonga, 19&20 stages, but none of them was epic;
- no such marvellous win as at Finestre, zero of: so many brave attacks like Yates’s at Giro, close & so long fight as at Zoncolan, so memorable wins like Thomas at Huez and Quintana at Saint-Lary-Soulan;
- completely unbalanced route, I don’t remember any downhill finish, MTF? of course - but not so many, no TTT, only one multi-mountain stage!;
- so weak GT GC competition: absence of Froome, Dumo, Thomas, Nibali&Porte with no shape
- TV coverage.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

18 Sep 2018 16:39

The race over-delivered on the route.

I really enjoyed the first week battle for Red. I like watching it go back and forth. I also like seeing breakaway riders take it for a day or two. Breakaway action in general was good.

I made a point to vote within a few seconds of seeing the thread, giving it an 8. I voted wrong. I think I gave the Giro a 7, and the GC narrative there was obviously way better, and I don't think this was better than the Giro. Maybe the same, but in a different way.
More Strides than Rides

18 Sep 2018 16:52

Gave it a 6. Yates, Más and Pinot's two stages were the highlights, but I feel that this Vuelta has been somewhat underwhelming. Perhaps because I've been used to some of the big 4 duking it out. A Vuelta without Froome and Contador, especially Contador feels weird. Last year's Vuelta was more exciting for me, but that might just be because it was Alberto's last race and the hype, that was built when he lead the favorites en route to Alcossembre and followed Froome up the Xorret. Thibaut's stages were great to watch, but this year's edition falls flat compared to the last years. Great for the young riders, that they had the opportunity and the strength to light the race up, I feel happy for them!
User avatar Simurgh

18 Sep 2018 17:08

This is a perfect example of a 6/10 race. Decent enough and definitely enough to keep me interested throughout, but many mediocre stages. I liked the stages in Andorra (although they surely could be designed much better) and a few of the uphill finishes that Valverde won.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

18 Sep 2018 17:28

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:3. Shouldn't be rated higher than Giro or Tour.

I will really, really pass on the Tour
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: Rate the 2018 Vuelta

18 Sep 2018 17:44

Red Rick wrote:
Flamin wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:...

The Andorra stage was pretty mediocre imo. There was one (semi-cautious) attack from a top-10 rider (López) near the top of Beixalis 2, that's it. Then López went (a bit less cautious) again on Comella, and Mas got triggered by the race leader, of all people, who attacked because he got bored. Else Mas would have also waited until Gallina.

I was very surprised to see action on the Comella from that side.

I think Andorra stages like that can work, but there wasn't really one point to lay down the hammer. Beixalis isn't really hard enough for that.

If the stage had finished with Collada de Gallina/Cortals d'Encamp I think it would've been a lot better. Don't think you even need Comella in between.

The stage design could have been better obviously, but this stage definitely had more potential than what came out of it. I don't think it needs a certain point to lay down the hammer. The strength of such a short stage where it's up and down all day, is that it's very difficult to control and that something can happen basically everywhere. There's no such thing as a fight for the break followed by a 'dead moment' once the peloton is okay with the break and eases off. It's full gas from start to finish. Groups of riders were going up the road on Comella, on Beixalis,... that's a great script for sending team mates up the road and using them.

Why Urán for example didn't do anything is beyond comprehension. At one point he had two team mates (Woods and Rolland) up the road. Why they hell doesn't he attack on Beixalis 1 or Ordino. Especially on such a short (and the last!) stage, you're much more likely to find allies as well who share the workload (like Kwiat and De la Cruz going for the stage win). He wouldn't have lost much energy at all if he tried that.
User avatar Flamin

18 Sep 2018 17:47

Gigs_98 wrote:
Flamin wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:I gave it a 6 but I'm starting to think I should have given it a 5. There were some obvious good things about the race like it being close almost to the end, the last two stages were really good, we had some very interesting breakaway action with lots of attempts to take over the leaders jersey (which is something I always find interesting), there was a crosswind stage and there were some new names who showed big potential for the first time. Still it feels like this gt was missing something. Especially the first 2/3 felt were completely boring and I had the feeling the stage only really started on the penultimate weekend. Shortly before we still thought Buchmann was a contender I thought Mas wouldn't finish in the top ten and Quintana was the outstanding favorite. Now at first it may seem like something positive if there are some big twists in the last week but those weren't really twists but rather a sign for how little we knew about the race at that point. The race was so boring thus far that we were completely clueless. That Ofc also has something to do with only two mountain stages in the first 12 stages of which the first can even hardly be called a mountain stage which is the next thing I have to criticize, the route. Especially for the race that always boasts about having so many mtf's and so little flat stages this route was appalling. No murito until stage 13 which is complete nonsense (if you use a murito use it early in a gt) too many boring stages and most importantly once again lack of good mountain stages. Stage 20 showed perfectly while multi mountain stages are simply necessary for a good race and this vuelta had one. It's fine if stages are always decided on the final climb but at least give us hope and excitement with early climbs where an attack could be launched or where a team could isolate a leader. Those are the stages I watch gt's for and this vuelta just ignored their existence.
So as I wrote above 5/10 for me, it just felt completely unspecial

The Andorra stage was pretty mediocre imo. There was one (semi-cautious) attack from a top-10 rider (López) near the top of Beixalis 2, that's it. Then López went (a bit less cautious) again on Comella, and Mas got triggered by the race leader, of all people, who attacked because he got bored. Else Mas would have also waited until Gallina.

It wasn't superb but still pretty good imo. Astana went to the front at the beginning of Beixalis and from then onwards there was always something gc related going on. Astana shredded the peloton, Lopez attacks halfway up the climb, Lopez gets caught at the top, Quintana attacks on the descent, Lopez attacks again at the beginning of the next climb, Yates attacks dragging Mas with him, the first two groups TTT'd on the flat before the final climb and then on the final climb it was just everyone giving everything he had left. There was never huge excitement but always something going on on the last three climbs which is rare enough these days

Yeah but López attacking for like 10 seconds and then sitting on Fraile and Cataldo hardly put me on the edge of my seat. Neither does an average descender attacking on the downhill. López' move would have been more interesting if he was fully committed on Beixalis and then link up with Fraile and Cataldo in the valley.

So things only got interesting on Comella imo. I'd just expected more from it (a bit closer to Cercedilla 2015 though not for the red jersey of course).
User avatar Flamin

18 Sep 2018 23:01

Old habits die hard: I give this Vuelta a 8 :p .

Unlike some here, I think that the route was fine if you judge by the results on the road and not by how it looks on the paper. There was suspense until the end, and one success worth noting: the three mountain stages in a row all gave us some GC action. Very steep gradients will do that...nowhere to hide, if you hold back you lose minutes. The third chapter ended with a legendary win for El Tibo, that's a plus :cool: .

Great to see Sky not winning, the next biggest team Movistar failing, although I wanted the many fans of the Don here to feel good in the end. Well, it's not like he left La Vuelta empty ended either...

Big plus, Simon winning a GT, which he deserved since the month of May. hats off! Another big plus is the revelation, or rather the confirmation: Enric Mas is a special rider. Now we're guaranteed that LaFlo will surpass the 100,000 posts, and probably sooner than we think ;) . Heck, Porte and Pinot finished a GT :D !

This Vuelta ended and more than after any GT that I can remember (correct me if I'm wrong), we are left to wonder about some riders and where they're at in their career. Aru looks done. Nairo Quintana is a shadow of his normal self. Was last year's Wilco the best Merckx that he can be? Better than Axel, but no Eddy. Should Pinot turn into Virenque, have fun, win a stage and KOM in July, race with no GC pressure? For sure, he was the happiest that I have seen him on a GT since '14 at least, maybe ever. Majka and GC...nope. Zakarin regressed.

Biggest bummers were Uran who never attacks when he was in great GC position to place an attack and have everyone watching each other. Superman, if you want Wonder Woman, you need to ask her on a date, instead of waiting for others to fade and podium in a vulture way. Maybe it's harsh, but we keep seeing Colombians not attacking. With so much talent, I don't get it. We're still waiting for the successor to Lucho Herrera.

Bummer: SK didn't get a podium. The dude should have won a Giro. I was rooting for him. And Sagan.

Great stories: Kwiat the fighter, Rudy in red and 14th overall, Euskadi won a stage (why that yellow jersey, for Pete's sake?), Nacer has a new reason not to listen to anyone (now that he's the best sprinter in the World :D ), Tony The Tiger Gallopin fought hard, and Viviani delivered again.

From a fan-boy standpoint, I wish that Tibopino had set his sights on a podium finish, and it was there for the taking. Why be more of a royalist than King Thibaut himself, who wanted fun, attacks, and a stage win? In the end the story is Yates and Mas, but Pinot showed class, gained fans, had fun, and wow, big wins!

All in all, not as good as Il Giro, but this Vuelta was very entertaining. 8 is fair IMO. Intrigues, suspense, epilogue with an uncertain future for some marquis names...
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

Re:

18 Sep 2018 23:49

ClassicomanoLuigi wrote:7/10
The close race for GC made it interesting til the last few stages. Team Sky could fall off the face of the Earth and I would not care, sport tactics are better without the SkyBot™ Train™. There were a few interesting strategic stages involving breakaway tactics. Ben King has found Jesus and very surprisingly found two stage wins. Retarded crash at the finish line of Stage 12 was a minor blemish on the event. Movistar fell flat in the end. Most of my prerace Vuelta predictions came true, including Porte collapse and López podium. TiboPino was amusing. Rohan Dennis proves again that he is in a class of his own in the TTs

I fully agree with this comment. Also 7/10 for me, also happy for Valverde's green jersey.
User avatar lartiste

19 Sep 2018 02:02

Flamin wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
Flamin wrote:

I think Andorra stages like that can work, but there wasn't really one point to lay down the hammer. Beixalis isn't really hard enough for that.

If the stage had finished with Collada de Gallina/Cortals d'Encamp I think it would've been a lot better. Don't think you even need Comella in between.

The stage design could have been better obviously, but this stage definitely had more potential than what came out of it. I don't think it needs a certain point to lay down the hammer. The strength of such a short stage where it's up and down all day, is that it's very difficult to control and that something can happen basically everywhere. There's no such thing as a fight for the break followed by a 'dead moment' once the peloton is okay with the break and eases off. It's full gas from start to finish. Groups of riders were going up the road on Comella, on Beixalis,... that's a great script for sending team mates up the road and using them.

Why Urán for example didn't do anything is beyond comprehension. At one point he had two team mates (Woods and Rolland) up the road. Why they hell doesn't he attack on Beixalis 1 or Ordino. Especially on such a short (and the last!) stage, you're much more likely to find allies as well who share the workload (like Kwiat and De la Cruz going for the stage win). He wouldn't have lost much energy at all if he tried that.

If riders never attack it's usually because they don't have the legs. Quintana at least tried and failed but Uran was nowhere near the form of the 2017 Tour. But he could be one to watch at the Worlds.
movingtarget
Veteran

19 Sep 2018 06:42

movingtarget wrote:
Flamin wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
Flamin wrote:

If riders never attack it's usually because they don't have the legs. Quintana at least tried and failed but Uran was nowhere near the form of the 2017 Tour. But he could be one to watch at the Worlds.

Did you miss the fact that Urán finished 4th and 5th on Rabassa and Gallina respectively?
User avatar Flamin

Re: Re:

19 Sep 2018 06:51

Flamin wrote:
Cance > TheRest wrote:Torn between 6 and 7.

On the positive side, I really liked the "new" climbs, Les Praeres and Monte Oiz, even if the action was limited on the former.

I think the first 10 days were kind of boring, except for the stage Molard won. Stage 11 (De Marchi won) was better than stage 1-10 combined.
More importantly, compared to last year, I missed the 'epic' factor in the race. I suspect it has something to do with Contador missing. I just don't really find riders like Simon Yates, MAL or Kruijswijk spectacular.

Maybe my memory fails me already (it's not getting any better, that's for sure), but as I remember it, the first 10 days were not that bad.

A decent uphill finish to start with (Caminito del Rey), echelons, another uphill sprint (Valverde vs Sagan), the finale in the stage Gallopin won was nice as well...

Overall very meh. A 5 seems accurate.

I think the stage to Caminito del Rey was very boring and the same for the other stage that Valverde won against Sagan. And the MTF's to Covatilla and Sierra Alfaguara were also without much action. Overall, I find (and I'm not saying you should feel the same way), that it's only the two stages, which Molard and Gallopin won, that was genuinely exciting for more than 1 km.

That's not to say it wasn't expected that it would be a dull first 10 days. But I was hoping for something more.
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest

19 Sep 2018 10:38

Caminito del Rey was a much harder stage than anticipated and we got to many of the best riders flat out get dropped early, I would say that was a a nice stage which delivered more than you could have expected.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

19 Sep 2018 10:55

movingtarget wrote:
Flamin wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
Flamin wrote:

Over six minutes down on GC and he has never been known for being one of the more attacking riders in the mountains. His TT was also pretty ordinary based on what he can do.
movingtarget
Veteran

19 Sep 2018 10:57

Uran getting better towards the end of the Vuelta makes me think he is a big danger for that silver medal in Innsbruck
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

19 Sep 2018 12:30

Valv.Piti wrote:Caminito del Rey was a much harder stage than anticipated and we got to many of the best riders flat out get dropped early, I would say that was a a nice stage which delivered more than you could have expected.

Dropped? You mean distanced by Valv/Kwiatkowski in the uphill sprint? And I'm pretty sure Lopez was the only one of the best riders who lost more than 10 seconds, which, to be honest, is more indicative of Lopez' inability to cope well with uphill sprints in the beginning of stage races, than the action on the stage.
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest

20 Sep 2018 13:02

For me the best GT this year.
Not seeing Sky train every montain stage is balsam for my tired eyes after the Tour.
User avatar SKSemtex

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing