Register

Paris–Tours 7 Oct 211 km

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Paris–Tours 7 Oct 211 km

08 Oct 2018 08:55

Tonton wrote:That has always been the problem with this race: identity. {aris-Tour, Tour-Versailles, Blois-Montlhery, and I forget some. The only reason why that's the only classic that Eddy never won: he didn't know where the start and the finish were :D . All in all, I think that there's a winning formula with the '18 course.

Great winner, Nikki being Nikki, Cosnefroy showing his potential, and Valentin: the kid is for real.

I agree with this — the course is always being fiddled with, it’s a bit short for a classic and from a TV watching POV, is really not that interesting. The gravel tracks make for better viewing and IMO a better race for spectators/sponsors, which is really all that matters. However, if you have too many punctures then you need to rethink how the tracks are set — maybe you need to go over them with a tractor or the riders need to use more puncture resistant tires. If the race could actually consistently start FROM Paris, Versailles even, that would also be a plus. Can you imagine the imagery of rolling past the chateau on a Sunday morning? Or, what would be really cool, would be starting from Longchamps hippodrome — You’ld already have 2,000 fans already kitted out in Lycra for their training around the hippodrome...

Even P-R starting from Compiegne is a little meh.
Bolder

08 Oct 2018 21:48

I find it hard to understand complaints about a race that has been in long term decline trying to reestablish itself by becoming more entertaining and unusual. This edition was really good.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

08 Oct 2018 23:25

Gaviria's attack from 700m out in 2016 was more entertaining than anything I saw this Sunday.
kingjr

Re:

08 Oct 2018 23:32

kingjr wrote:Gaviria's attack from 700m out in 2016 was more entertaining than anything I saw this Sunday.

Virenque in '01 wasn't bad either :cool: . We can all find one year, one outcome that suits our taste. But let's be real: this was one of the dullest races on the calendar. Not yesterday...
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

Re:

08 Oct 2018 23:50

Zinoviev Letter wrote:I find it hard to understand complaints about a race that has been in long term decline trying to reestablish itself by becoming more entertaining and unusual. This edition was really good.

It’s been a very entertaining race for the past several years. There’s been a few bunch sprints won by the likes of Degenkolh, Zabel, Petacchi, but there’s been more wins from small groups by van Avermaet, Gilbert, Trentin etc. The race has a reputation as a sprinter’s classic, but the evidence of the last 2 decades is that anybody stands a chance, including but not limited to the sprinters.

This year was a good race, but as soon as Kragh attacked the final time, the race was over. The old route could have you guessing right to the line who would win.
Leinster

09 Oct 2018 08:19

Bolder wrote:However, if you have too many punctures then you need to rethink how the tracks are set — maybe you need to go over them with a tractor or the riders need to use more puncture resistant tires.

Maybe SKA did exactly that. Sometimes the mechanics know what they are doing, but often it seems they are clueless. Sadly I didn't see the race, but the top10 suggests that there was no luck deciding this race (not more than a freak crash in a sprinters classics anyways).
User avatar el chava

09 Oct 2018 08:25

el chava wrote:
Bolder wrote:However, if you have too many punctures then you need to rethink how the tracks are set — maybe you need to go over them with a tractor or the riders need to use more puncture resistant tires.

Maybe SKA did exactly that. Sometimes the mechanics know what they are doing, but often it seems they are clueless. Sadly I didn't see the race, but the top10 suggests that there was no luck deciding this race (not more than a freak crash in a sprinters classics anyways).

Gilbert punctured while looking strong and his presence in front would have changed the finale fundamentally. But yeah, it's just one puncture for the very top riders, and that also happens in other races.

Maybe Benoot also punctured? Suddenly he was gone before coming back again.
User avatar tobydawq

09 Oct 2018 12:57

I finally was able to watch this race, it was on my dvr. The new parcours are very welcome and it made for some great racing! Congrats to Andersen, nice move and great rde!
Alberto Contador=Legend!

Nibali becomes only the 6th winner of all 3 GTS (2014)!
Nibali joins Gimondi, Merckx and Hinault as only the 4th man to win all 3 GTS and 2 different Monuments (2018). A throwback rider in this age of specialization. Bravo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

Re:

09 Oct 2018 13:34

Zinoviev Letter wrote:I find it hard to understand complaints about a race that has been in long term decline trying to reestablish itself by becoming more entertaining and unusual. This edition was really good.

Agree with this.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

09 Oct 2018 13:41

tobydawq wrote:
el chava wrote:

Gilbert punctured while looking strong and his presence in front would have changed the finale fundamentally. But yeah, it's just one puncture for the very top riders, and that also happens in other races.

Maybe Benoot also punctured? Suddenly he was gone before coming back again.

Probably Lampaert as well, but yeah.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Previous

Return to Professional road racing