Register

Paris–Tours 7 Oct 211 km

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

07 Oct 2018 14:39

Kragh Andersen pulled his move perfectly.
Congratulations.
User avatar sir fly
Veteran

07 Oct 2018 14:44

When Terpsrtra is around, better attack early
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

07 Oct 2018 14:44

Horrible sprint by Cosnefroy, he may have got overexcited and shot his load. Terpstra cruised past him with a "Who the **** are you" look.
User avatar wirral

07 Oct 2018 14:47

Very likable win and winner......
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

07 Oct 2018 14:48

That was funny watching Terpstra yell at Cosnefroy. The dude is crazy sometimes

I think Kragh was the strongest, though, so a great winner
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest

07 Oct 2018 14:49

That was a very great race.

Some vine roads need some rework or to be ditch but that was a nice change. Also great scenery.
User avatar Alexandre B.

07 Oct 2018 14:56

Unprofessional race and behaviour by Terpstra. I'm sorry to say that I'm happy to see him lose, but even happier to see Kragh win! Great race, but I felt that I had to get used to this new Paris-Tours with the gravel roads and all. Considering the entertainment we got today, I think this will be easy.
User avatar Simurgh

07 Oct 2018 15:01

How many people can they get onto that podium?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

07 Oct 2018 15:02

1 Søren Kragh Andersen (Sunweb) 4:37:55
2 Niki Terpstra (Quick-Step Floors) +0:25
3 Benoît Cosnefroy (AG2R La Mondiale) +0:25
4 Oliver Naesen (AG2R La Mondiale) +1:14
5 Valentin Madouas (Groupama-FDJ) +1:14
6 Tiesj Benoot (Lotto Soudal) +1:14
7 Sep Vanmarcke (Education First-Drapac) +1:14
8 Philippe Gilbert (Quick-Step Floors) +1:14
9 Taco van der Hoorn (Roompot-Nederlandse Loterij) +1:24
10 Jos van Emden (LottoNL-Jumbo) +1:24

A very powerful top 10.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

07 Oct 2018 15:55

The young and danish classic men are going to have a great year next year. I have always thought that Kragh is the most talented out of those due to his versatility, but Valgren has surprised me a bit and Pedersen has the best and most old school mindset about cycling which also will get him very far (especially in Flanders and Roubaix, the long races). Very nice to follow these riders atm.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

07 Oct 2018 18:05

No matter what he's won, Terpstra is such a disgrace. I've never liked his behavior and today proved me right. Great to see SKA rob this one, totally deserved.
Krokro

Re:

07 Oct 2018 18:17

Valv.Piti wrote:The young and danish classic men are going to have a great year next year. I have always thought that Kragh is the most talented out of those due to his versatility, but Valgren has surprised me a bit and Pedersen has the best and most old school mindset about cycling which also will get him very far (especially in Flanders and Roubaix, the long races). Very nice to follow these riders atm.

Yeah. It's been pretty fun being a Danish cycling fan this year! :D

One thing I personally found kind of funny about Kragh's attack was the fact that he didn't use the fact that the other two were arguing in one side of the road to sneakily attack in the other side.
He literally went right between them!
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

07 Oct 2018 18:35

Krokro wrote:No matter what he's won, Terpstra is such a disgrace. I've never liked his behavior and today proved me right. Great to see SKA rob this one, totally deserved.

What did he do today that was out of line?
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Veteran

07 Oct 2018 18:43

Nothing. People are overreacting. Terpstra is an *** but what he did today is just racing..
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

07 Oct 2018 19:53

I think Terpstra was overreacting to Cosnefroy. The guy had bridged up to the break, but had his team leader chasing behind. Ok, they were unlikely to come back, but that doesn't mean he's obliged to work now. But I wouldn't call Terpstra a disgrace, he's also entitled to be upset that there's a passenger along in the break.

I think Kragh would've won that race no matter who did or didn't work in the trio, he was clearly the strongest on the day.

An entertaining race, but as I said before, while P-T is constantly struggling for its identity, it will struggle for recognition as a true classic, and this was a completely different race to what we saw in recent years; and we have had good racing in recent years. Even the long finish straight was shorter this year.
Leinster

07 Oct 2018 20:36

Chapeau SKA! Madouas puts in another good ride.

The new ending? I'd give it another year so everyone knows now what to expect.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

07 Oct 2018 21:06

Leinster wrote:I think Terpstra was overreacting to Cosnefroy. The guy had bridged up to the break, but had his team leader chasing behind. Ok, they were unlikely to come back, but that doesn't mean he's obliged to work now. But I wouldn't call Terpstra a disgrace, he's also entitled to be upset that there's a passenger along in the break.

I think Kragh would've won that race no matter who did or didn't work in the trio, he was clearly the strongest on the day.

An entertaining race, but as I said before, while P-T is constantly struggling for its identity, it will struggle for recognition as a true classic, and this was a completely different race to what we saw in recent years; and we have had good racing in recent years. Even the long finish straight was shorter this year.

To me, it's a trade-off between identity and entertainment for Paris - Tours. Yes, today's race was, objectively, more entertaining than in previous years, but it lacked identity. That said, I do think, if they decide to go for the same route next year and forward, it would not be a bad idea, if Paris - Tours can build up a new tradition of epic races. Very much just try to copy the same strategy that has been a succes for the organizers behind Strade Bianche.

They just need to make a choice and not use alternating routes from year to year.
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest

Re: Re:

07 Oct 2018 21:12

Cance > TheRest wrote:
Leinster wrote:I think Terpstra was overreacting to Cosnefroy. The guy had bridged up to the break, but had his team leader chasing behind. Ok, they were unlikely to come back, but that doesn't mean he's obliged to work now. But I wouldn't call Terpstra a disgrace, he's also entitled to be upset that there's a passenger along in the break.

To me, it's a trade-off between identity and entertainment for Paris - Tours. Yes, today's race was, objectively, more entertaining than in previous years, but it lacked identity. That said, I do think, if they decide to go for the same route next year and forward, it would not be a bad idea, if Paris - Tours can build up a new tradition of epic races. Very much just try to copy the same strategy that has been a succes for the organizers behind Strade Bianche.

They just need to make a choice and not use alternating routes from year to year.

Agree with that.

Brian Smith was saying in the finale that he's suggested in the past having a "gravel race world tour" or similar. If P-T isn't on the proper WT, then it can be on that one, with the likes of Strade, Tro Bro Leon, and get some international races into the mix like Dirty Kanza.
Leinster

Re: Paris–Tours 7 Oct 211 km

07 Oct 2018 23:43

That has always been the problem with this race: identity. {aris-Tour, Tour-Versailles, Blois-Montlhery, and I forget some. The only reason why that's the only classic that Eddy never won: he didn't know where the start and the finish were :D . All in all, I think that there's a winning formula with the '18 course.

Great winner, Nikki being Nikki, Cosnefroy showing his potential, and Valentin: the kid is for real.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

Re: Re:

08 Oct 2018 01:50

Leinster wrote:
Cance > TheRest wrote:

Agree with that.

Brian Smith was saying in the finale that he's suggested in the past having a "gravel race world tour" or similar. If P-T isn't on the proper WT, then it can be on that one, with the likes of Strade, Tro Bro Leon, and get some international races into the mix like Dirty Kanza.

I'd propose a late classics calender instead. In the spring, you ride on cobbles and in the autumn, you ride on gravel.

Strade (the gravel Flanders) will be the first race in the late September so that climbers have a chance of participating. While the climbers will continue their late season path with Giro dell'Emilia, the classics riders will travel to France to race the odd Tro-Bro Léon and later Paris-Tours (the new gravel Roubaix).

A WT calender could look something like this:
Omloop
K-B-K
Sanremo
E3
G-W
Dwars
Ronde
Roubaix
Amstel
Fleche
Liege
San Seb
Hamburg
Bretagne
Strade
Emilia
T-B-L
Torino
Lombardia
Tours

You might also add Chrono des Nations to the late season in order to have at least one ITT race on a WT level.
Velolover2

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing