Register

Il Lombardia, 241KM, 13th October (WT)

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

08 Oct 2018 20:11

If Valverde didn't party too much after his WC win it's his race to lose.
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

Re:

08 Oct 2018 20:24

Rollthedice wrote:Valverde has two rivals in this race, himself and Nibali. Have to wait until tomorrow's Tre Valli to see if Nibali can put up a fight. The French duo looks on fire but my bet is rather Pinot. Then there's a large group of good climbers, someone might pull a surprise if Valverde is asleep at the wheel.

He+s the favorite, I agree, but not that big. It's a Monument after all, 240km, we'll have plenty of good riders there: Nibali, Bardet, Pinot, Uran, Alaphilippe, Kreuziger, that cramping guy...
User avatar Blanco

08 Oct 2018 20:35

Kreuziger to win solo with Valverde getting the sprint for 2nd and Pinot 3rd.
User avatar SHAD0W93

Re: Il Lombardia, 241KM, 13th October (WT)

08 Oct 2018 22:17

After Sunday, that climb will forever be remembered as Il Muraut di Sormanot. Mark my words :cool: .
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

Re:

08 Oct 2018 22:36

Laplaz wrote:If Valverde didn't party too much after his WC win it's his race to lose.

Don't worry he was back training on Wednesday as there is video from one of the coffee shops he and his friends stop at while out riding where they had a cake waiting for him.

Lombardia will be great this year if for no other reason that Valverde in the rainbow stripes.
User avatar Koronin

Re: Re:

08 Oct 2018 23:21

Koronin wrote:
Laplaz wrote:If Valverde didn't party too much after his WC win it's his race to lose.

Don't worry he was back training on Wednesday as there is video from one of the coffee shops he and his friends stop at while out riding where they had a cake waiting for him.

Lombardia will be great this year if for no other reason that Valverde in the rainbow stripes.

A little caffeine goes a long way :) .

I can't believe that Valverde has never won that thing. Yet, he's a marked man, and the field is huge. He could overcome that at the WRRC. What;s the weather forecast? Rain like in Emillia would create havoc and inspire some to De Marchi the day.

In a small group finish, someone will have to attack with 800m to go and hope for the best. Yes, Valverde and his clone (he's racing it right?) are favorites, but a 100% Nibali can out-fox them. Not in the bag for The Don.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

08 Oct 2018 23:32

I can't believe that Valverde has never won that thing. Yet, he's a marked man, and the field is huge. He could overcome that at the WRRC. .
m

Runner up twice? Once behind Purito, and once when nobody watched Dan Martin.
Leinster

09 Oct 2018 00:09

Tonton wrote:
Koronin wrote:

A little caffeine goes a long way :) .

I can't believe that Valverde has never won that thing. Yet, he's a marked man, and the field is huge. He could overcome that at the WRRC. What;s the weather forecast? Rain like in Emillia would create havoc and inspire some to De Marchi the day.

In a small group finish, someone will have to attack with 800m to go and hope for the best. Yes, Valverde and his clone (he's racing it right?) are favorites, but a 100% Nibali can out-fox them. Not in the bag for The Don.

I think that caffeine does for most people, I'm not one of them. I can drink coffee or soda and go bed with no ill effects.

Yep he is marked, and I think has been since at least 2003. He does still have a few holes in his palmares. Now that he's won the WC Lombardia is the biggest hole. If it's raining he is less likely to win it as he doesn't like racing in bad weather. Of course with where he's from it's understandable.

I think his clone is racing it. It would make sense that he would be. If Nibali can get to 100% (which I'm not sure he can) he'd be the favorite.
User avatar Koronin

09 Oct 2018 06:09

Tonton wrote:After Sunday, that climb will forever be remembered as Il Muraut di Sormanot. Mark my words :cool: .

What does that mean?
User avatar SHAD0W93

09 Oct 2018 06:31

SHAD0W93 wrote:
Tonton wrote:After Sunday, that climb will forever be remembered as Il Muraut di Sormanot. Mark my words :cool: .

What does that mean?

Look at the endings of the words and compare them to those of a French rider, whom I have gotten the impression that Tonton favours a little.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

09 Oct 2018 09:05

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Sunweb comes with Oomen as leader, despite them also fielding Matthews and Kelderman. Interesting that Kelderman now has to help Oomen.

They state it's Oomen's favorite classic and he wants to attain a really good result

He was already very good last year so I'm expecting big things on Saturday.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

09 Oct 2018 09:26

SafeBet wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Sunweb comes with Oomen as leader, despite them also fielding Matthews and Kelderman. Interesting that Kelderman now has to help Oomen.

They state it's Oomen's favorite classic and he wants to attain a really good result

He was already very good last year so I'm expecting big things on Saturday.

I hope this doesn't mean Kelderman will be responsible for positioning Oomen :o

More likely it just means that Oomen will be the one who's protected until the Civiglio. And he should do great, he was top 15 at the Worlds despite being one of the most aggressive riders on the Igls.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

09 Oct 2018 10:03

how come the finish is not like in 2016? i thought como and bergamo had a deal to alternate b/w cities for the start/finish. I was expecting a start in como and finish in bergamo.

The route is still very good though.
lmrt

Re:

09 Oct 2018 10:07

lmrt wrote:how come the finish is not like in 2016? i thought como and bergamo had a deal to alternate b/w cities for the start/finish. I was expecting a start in como and finish in bergamo.

Current route is a little bland. First significant riders will drop on Sormano, then it's always gonna happen on the Civiglio.

2016 Lombardia is the best classic route I have ever seen.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

09 Oct 2018 10:31

lmrt wrote:how come the finish is not like in 2016? i thought como and bergamo had a deal to alternate b/w cities for the start/finish. I was expecting a start in como and finish in bergamo.

Como just offered more money and we know that is the most important thing for Vegni.
Anyway i've read just this morning on the italian forum that they are supposed to return in Bergamo next year.
Nirvana

09 Oct 2018 12:12

Yep, that little roller is better than San Fermo, but 2016 was off the charts. Finish will probably play out pretty similar to RR.
Ferminal
Veteran

09 Oct 2018 15:39

Alaphilippe didn't come to Italy, too tired for autumn classic after the hard season.
Lots of big guys looked on decent form between Emilia and Tre Valli, some we'll see tomorrow on Superga as well.
Let's hope for fireworks!
User avatar Climbing

09 Oct 2018 15:44

A shame, but it's been a long season and only if you're 100% you've a chance of winning at Lombardia.
The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time
User avatar Bardamu

09 Oct 2018 15:51

Any word on a replacement?

He couldn’t win at less than 100%, but I would think even having him there would improve the chances for Jungels or Mas or at a stretch dePlus.
Leinster

09 Oct 2018 15:57

I don't see Jungels winning it, Mas might have a chance if he is in form but he hasn't done anything of note in a one-day race yet.
The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time
User avatar Bardamu

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing