Register

Il Lombardia, 241KM, 13th October (WT)

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

10 Oct 2018 08:52

Velolover2 wrote:
Koronin wrote:Well Valverde is definitely back to doing his best to downplaying his chances. His comments now are basically: Let's see how I can do as I haven't disconnected yet from all the celebrating. However, I also appreciate the comment because it means he did take time to celebrate and enjoy what he just accomplished.

If he is feeling good and really want to gamble on Lombardia, he should lose Milano-Torino on purpose in order to make himself a less marked man. But I don't think that is how modern cycling works. :lol:

I think he'll ride conservative race today, following moves, and only to go all out in last km if he's in contention for the win. Saturday will be a different story though, he really wants that one...
User avatar Blanco

10 Oct 2018 09:04

Blanco wrote:
Velolover2 wrote:
Koronin wrote:Well Valverde is definitely back to doing his best to downplaying his chances. His comments now are basically: Let's see how I can do as I haven't disconnected yet from all the celebrating. However, I also appreciate the comment because it means he did take time to celebrate and enjoy what he just accomplished.

If he is feeling good and really want to gamble on Lombardia, he should lose Milano-Torino on purpose in order to make himself a less marked man. But I don't think that is how modern cycling works. :lol:

I think he'll ride conservative race today, following moves, and only to go all out in last km if he's in contention for the win. Saturday will be a different story though, he really wants that one...

Today is an easy race, tactics-wise. Everybody knows it comes down to the final Superga climb. That could be a nice training for him, and I think he will go all out for the win because it's a race that only requires a real supra-maximal effort the final 10 minutes.

And now that there is two days in-between Milano-Torino and Lombardia instead of one like last year, it's unlikely to have the same negative influence on the Lombardia performance to be going for the win in Milano-Torino.
User avatar tobydawq

10 Oct 2018 18:02

Looks like FDJ and EF will be the strongest teams saturday, so they will definetly try to make the race hard in order to crack Valverde. Bardet and Nibs will have the same goal, so should be a great day of racing.
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

10 Oct 2018 18:04

Btw, MAL is not starting on Saturday, strange decision :rolleyes:
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

10 Oct 2018 18:26

Not that strange. How many times has Lopez set the world alight in 250km+ classics?

Asides from MT today, he has either DNF-ed or finished far off in the other one day races
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

10 Oct 2018 18:47

Well, but with these legs he has to try at least.
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

10 Oct 2018 19:14

Yeah, not trying is very weird.

Lopez once again snatched defeat from the jaws of victory today.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

10 Oct 2018 20:36

Red Rick wrote:Yeah, not trying is very weird.

Its very weird. DNF in Worlds due to crash, crashing today and then deciding to skip Saturday is a very, very strange decision - talk about not getting anything out of your form
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

10 Oct 2018 20:38

Perhaps they fear for his life if he has to get himself involved with that Sormano descent.
User avatar tobydawq

10 Oct 2018 20:40

That's the team's decision not his.

Very strange one indeed.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

10 Oct 2018 20:42

Valv.Piti wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Yeah, not trying is very weird.

Its very weird. DNF in Worlds due to crash, crashing today and then deciding to skip Saturday is a very, very strange decision - talk about not getting anything out of your form

Didn't he crash at the Worlds too?
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

10 Oct 2018 20:53

Sounds like GdL wasn’t in his plans originally.

“Despite a show of form on the climb to Superga, Lopez will not ride Saturday's Il Lombardia, sticking to his plans to end his season with Milano-Torino.

"This podium ends my season, it's been a great season," he said without regret.

"I'm not riding Lombardia because while I trained for the World Championships, I didn’t train for the Classic and didn’t train for the long distances. I have good legs and was happy to ride Milano-Torino, but Lombardia is something else."”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gaudu-laughs-off-late-crash-at-milano-torino-to-celebrate-pinots-victory/
Leinster

Re:

10 Oct 2018 21:03

Leinster wrote:Sounds like GdL wasn’t in his plans originally.

“Despite a show of form on the climb to Superga, Lopez will not ride Saturday's Il Lombardia, sticking to his plans to end his season with Milano-Torino.

"I'm not riding Lombardia because while I trained for the World Championships, I didn’t train for the Classic and didn’t train for the long distances. I have good legs and was happy to ride Milano-Torino, but Lombardia is something else."”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gaudu-laughs-off-late-crash-at-milano-torino-to-celebrate-pinots-victory/

[x] trained for the Worlds
[ ] trained for the classics

I can't remember the last time I heard a dumber quote
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

10 Oct 2018 22:03

What the hell? Is Vino going soft? There was a time when a rider with the kind of form MAL is clearly in who decided to just not bother to try to win a monument would have been the recipient of a strongly worded letter or a vigorous boot to the hole.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

10 Oct 2018 22:53

That's straight up lazy.
User avatar jsem94

10 Oct 2018 23:42

Red Rick wrote:
Leinster wrote:Sounds like GdL wasn’t in his plans originally.

[x] trained for the Worlds
[ ] trained for the classics

I can't remember the last time I heard a dumber quote

What in the world? I'm fairly sure the Worlds is a one day race just like the classics are.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

10 Oct 2018 23:56

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Not that strange. How many times has Lopez set the world alight in 250km+ classics?

Asides from MT today, he has either DNF-ed or finished far off in the other one day races

To be fair, he has won M-T.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

11 Oct 2018 03:56

I was posting from my phone at the time, but yeah, "I trained for the 259 km Worlds, but 240km Lombardia is too long" did stand out as a slightly odd quote.
Leinster

11 Oct 2018 06:22

He probably already bought a plane ticket and is homesick for Colombia.
La fatica in montagna per me è poesia (Fatigue in the mountains is poetry to me) - Marco Pantani
Van een ezel kunt ge geen koerspaard maken (You can't turn a donkey into a race horse) - Patrick Lefevere
User avatar Pantani_lives

11 Oct 2018 06:32

Milano Torino is basically a long Vuelta stage and it is raced as such. It's no surprise it's the only classic where Superman has performed well.
Lombardia is a Monument, where descending, positioning, endurance and tactics can play a major role.

I have seen nothing suggesting Superman can win Lombardia so far in his career. Even in 2016, when he won Milano Torino, he did not finish Lombardia.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing