Register

Don’t call it an Unofficial Andrea Tafi Comeback Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

19 Oct 2018 18:20

Tafi, aged 50 or whatever? Welcome to the circus.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

19 Oct 2018 18:22

Back to Lefevere and we'll go 1-2-3 in Roubaix once again. Tafi obviously wins again, only 20 years later :p
User avatar Akuryo

19 Oct 2018 18:56

For sure it will be interesting. Based on the race he rode in Hungary, where a decimated peloton finished with about 48km/h average, he's in more than great shape for a 52 year old. Not that the said effort required was big if all he did was sit in the back of the group. But it's difficult to know.
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest

19 Oct 2018 20:06

Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

Re:

19 Oct 2018 20:34

Cance > TheRest wrote:For sure it will be interesting. Based on the race he rode in Hungary, where a decimated peloton finished with about 48km/h average, he's in more than great shape for a 52 year old. Not that the said effort required was big if all he did was sit in the back of the group. But it's difficult to know.

What was the length of the race? Also, how hilly?

Still being at the pointy end after 150kms+ at 48km/h suggests Tafi could still race at Div 3 level as a domestique.

With the proper focus he could help the team lead of a Pro Conti team get to the Arenberg in a good position at the least.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re: Re:

19 Oct 2018 20:43

42x16ss wrote:
Cance > TheRest wrote:For sure it will be interesting. Based on the race he rode in Hungary, where a decimated peloton finished with about 48km/h average, he's in more than great shape for a 52 year old. Not that the said effort required was big if all he did was sit in the back of the group. But it's difficult to know.

Still being at the pointy end after 150kms+ at 48km/h suggests Tafi could still race at Div 3 level as a domestique.

With the proper focus he could help the team lead of a Pro Conti team get to the Arenberg in a good position at the least.

You’d think with his level of experience, he could put in minimal effort on the early kms, coast along in the bunch and stay fresh before the pave really starts to come thick and fast. If he gets onto the front and shows his jersey at Arenberg or any of the sectors immediately following, it’ll have been a worthwhile spend on his sponsor’s part.
Leinster

19 Oct 2018 21:21

42x16ss wrote:

I think this is the profile. Fairly flat. The only other name I recognize in the field is Barnabas Peak.

http://firstcycling.com/race.php?r=8518&y=2018
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest

21 Oct 2018 21:18

This is beyond ridiculous and we all know that.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

Re:

21 Oct 2018 23:05

SafeBet wrote:This is beyond ridiculous and we all know that.

Ah yeah, of course, but it has just enough of that hint of a possibility, that we can allow ourselves to imagine just how it would look.

I do agree with the suggestions up above that a Masters/over 45s World Tour would be great to see some of the old heads out on the road again.
Leinster

22 Oct 2018 00:16

I'd love a masters world tour, but I'd worry the marquee riders of the past will have little interest. Once you have the prestigious palmeres what's the incentive to ride races as a shadow of your former self?
Amazinmets87

22 Oct 2018 12:52

While we're on the subject of former pros in their late 40s, I saw Erik Zabel among the audience at a post-Tour crit this year where his son participated. Looked as sharp as ever, as if he'd never stopped racing.
kingjr

Re:

22 Oct 2018 19:15

Amazinmets87 wrote:I'd love a masters world tour, but I'd worry the marquee riders of the past will have little interest. Once you have the prestigious palmeres what's the incentive to ride races as a shadow of your former self?

I fear this would end up being a bit of a joke really. Just like the senior ranks in tennis (where you can have Clijsters play against Navratilova... 27 year age difference, and even the Williams sisters are older than Clijsters and they're still playing pro tennis).
The question is: at what age do you start this "past masters"? It won't be possible to have multiple age ranks (organisationally) so it has to be spot on. If you start at 40, then in a year or two, guys like Boonen, Valverde, Cancellara... can join. And the likes of Tafi will still not come even close to winning. There is a huge discrepancy between a 40 year old rider that was still a pro 3 years ago, or a 55 year old rider. Or do you start at 50, and you will have a very limited field of contenders i believe. But i'm sure plastic hip replacements will boom. One major crash in a 50+ year old peloton during Paris Roubaix and those guys will never ride a bike again.

It sounds nice in theory, but i'm not really sure this is such a good idea.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend

22 Oct 2018 19:26

The Masters thing will never work. Rolf Sørensen has often explained how at a certain point in his final season a switch flipped inside him, and after that he just wasn't willing to suffer anymore like he used to. I would imagine this is not uncommon, and I don't think a lot of former pros would have any interest in such a race series. It's not a "fun" sport like tennis where it makes much more sense.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

22 Oct 2018 19:50

tobydawq wrote:The Masters thing will never work. Rolf Sørensen has often explained how at a certain point in his final season a switch flipped inside him, and after that he just wasn't willing to suffer anymore like he used to. I would imagine this is not uncommon, and I don't think a lot of former pros would have any interest in such a race series. It's not a "fun" sport like tennis where it makes much more sense.

Not long after Rominger's retirement, Millar was staying with Swiss Tony in Monaco when the former champion bemoaned the life of the retired cyclist. Rominger noted how Monaco's resident retired golfers and tennis players always had something in the tank that enabled them to show some of their magic in exhibition events. Retired cyclists - no longer plugging the training miles, no longer counting the calories - were not so blessed: "Me? I'm ****! Never again will I be good on a bike. This is life, David. In professional cycling there are no gifts."

You just have to look at pictures of Rominger in the first 5 months of that last season - before Cofidis hired a guy to follow him around and slap food out of his mouth - to see that by pro cyclist standards he was positively obese. It was one season too many and he was past caring in the slightest.

It happens to all of them at some point. Some at 36 like Kelly, some at 25 like Saronni, but it catches up to every single rider eventually......

....except Lex Nederlof, that guy's not human

If you ever get to talk to Rolf, ask him how he could win bunch sprints but always lose the breakaway sprints to climbers. That's always baffled me.
User avatar GuyIncognito

25 Oct 2018 07:58

He was with some old frieds from Quickstep/Mapei yesterday and Bramati said that they are ready for his comeback ... there is no way I was right with my joke that he would go back to Lefevere?! Right???
User avatar Akuryo

Re:

25 Oct 2018 13:57

Akuryo wrote:He was with some old frieds from Quickstep/Mapei yesterday and Bramati said that they are ready for his comeback ... there is no way I was right with my joke that he would go back to Lefevere?! Right???

Depends. Is Lefevre riding?
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend

08 Nov 2018 10:12

User avatar tobydawq

Re:

08 Nov 2018 11:04

Bora with Sagan as a gregario?
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

08 Nov 2018 11:55

Logic-is-your-friend wrote:
Akuryo wrote:He was with some old frieds from Quickstep/Mapei yesterday and Bramati said that they are ready for his comeback ... there is no way I was right with my joke that he would go back to Lefevere?! Right???

Depends. Is Lefevre riding?

He said that Lefevere has told him there is no spot for his comeback.
But even if not Quick-Step is a big team according to what he said to Het Laste Nieuwse.

Anyway I don't take that seriously until I see him in Compiegne with a number on his back.
Nirvana

08 Nov 2018 14:15

"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing