Register

R.I.P Paul Sherwen

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

03 Dec 2018 12:20

I am shocked and wonder how a fit man like that died? I loved the excitement in his voice especially calling the final sprints. Like thousands of others, his voice and percpective have been synonamous with the TDF since the late 90's in the United States espcially. No small thing went unnoticed. His knowledge of the sport and things like the settings of the races - I don't know how they will replace him. Rest in peace.
Nobody73

03 Dec 2018 13:56

I loved him as a child in the LeMond and Indurain era. I used to love the Channel 4 Tour de France show with his commentary. Echoing what others have said above, it was his voice that explained cycling to me.

What a pity - he seemed to be in good shape and I wasn't aware he was sick.
barmaher

03 Dec 2018 14:03

I am in shock. He was too young. RIP. Very relaxing voice. Going to miss him.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

03 Dec 2018 14:06

It's hard for me to separate his voice from the Tour and pro racing in general visions in my memories. An institution in the sport, he and Phil Liggett were the perfect pair, complimenting each other in their styles and their obvious shared passion for the sport. Decades of his commentary have just amplified my love for cycling. He and Phil have been the constants since I fell for the sport during Lemond's era. A great loss.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

Re:

03 Dec 2018 14:25

Nobody73 wrote:I am shocked and wonder how a fit man like that died? I loved the excitement in his voice especially calling the final sprints. Like thousands of others, his voice and percpective have been synonamous with the TDF since the late 90's in the United States espcially. No small thing went unnoticed. His knowledge of the sport and things like the settings of the races - I don't know how they will replace him. Rest in peace.

There are rumors about his battle with a depression ... therefore, there are also some rumors about a possible suicide. But nothing is confirmed.
Jancouver

03 Dec 2018 15:12

I heard from a source (admittedly not the most credible one) that is was suicide. Makes sense given his age, fitness level and lack of prior illness.
Amazinmets87

Re:

03 Dec 2018 16:56

Amazinmets87 wrote:I heard from a source (admittedly not the most credible one) that is was suicide. Makes sense given his age, fitness level and lack of prior illness.

If cause of death is not mentioned in a news story, suicide is most likely the reason why.
What a shame.
I recently have been watching cycling classic videos on youtube of races back in the late 80s and early 90s narrated by Phil And Paul, and I forgot how good they were.
I know Liggett takes a bit of a pounding here, but the combination of Paul and Phil was truly outstanding commentary. They complimented each other very well and Paul will be missed.
Phil must feel like he lost a limb, and I feel terrible for the guy. Condolensces to family and friends of Paul.
User avatar the delgados

03 Dec 2018 18:02

User avatar Armchair cyclist

Re: Re:

03 Dec 2018 20:14

the delgados wrote:
Amazinmets87 wrote:I heard from a source (admittedly not the most credible one) that is was suicide. Makes sense given his age, fitness level and lack of prior illness.

If cause of death is not mentioned in a news story, suicide is most likely the reason why.
What a shame.
I recently have been watching cycling classic videos on youtube of races back in the late 80s and early 90s narrated by Phil And Paul, and I forgot how good they were.
I know Liggett takes a bit of a pounding here, but the combination of Paul and Phil was truly outstanding commentary. They complimented each other very well and Paul will be missed.
Phil must feel like he lost a limb, and I feel terrible for the guy. Condolensces to family and friends of Paul.

I think to a point it's more Phil not really knowing what's going on anymore. Paul having to correct him. Yes, watching older YouTube videos, they were great doing commentary at one time.
User avatar Koronin

03 Dec 2018 23:04

Autopsy shows heart failure. Why are people so quick to jump on other rumors with no basis??? Always thinking the worst :(
Alberto Contador=Legend!
Nibali joins Gimondi, Merckx and Hinault as only the 4th man to win all 3 GTS and 2 different Monuments (2018). A throwback rider in this age of specialization. Bravo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

Re:

03 Dec 2018 23:40

Carols wrote:Autopsy shows heart failure. Why are people so quick to jump on other rumors with no basis??? Always thinking the worst :(

Nature abhors a vacuum, and the point is rightly made above that in cases where a cause of death isn’t quickly announced, concerning a physically healthy individual younger than retirement age, it’s become all too frequent that there has been only one outcome. Speculation is only natural.

I have to say, I’m relieved to hear it was heart failure, but at the same time no less sad that he’s gone.
Leinster

Re:

04 Dec 2018 00:43

Carols wrote:Autopsy shows heart failure. Why are people so quick to jump on other rumors with no basis??? Always thinking the worst :(

I can think of a lot more terrible ways of dying than one that is self induced, but that is neither here nor there. My speculation (key word) was based on someone I know in the industry who told me that death by suicide is sometimes left out of the report.

I was not jumping to conclusions, but I can see how my comment might come across as if I knew what happened.
User avatar the delgados

04 Dec 2018 10:22

cycling has lost one of it's own
User avatar ebandit

Re: Re:

04 Dec 2018 18:25

Leinster wrote:

I have to say, I’m relieved to hear it was heart failure, but at the same time no less sad that he’s gone.

Same here and yes, no less sad :sad:
Cookster15

Re: R.I.P Paul Sherwen

30 Jan 2019 22:34

pastronef wrote:https://www.velonews.com/2019/01/commentary/the-outer-line-paul-sherwens-humanitarian-legacy_483156

Nice article.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re: R.I.P Paul Sherwen

31 Jan 2019 10:51

This guy knew his chateaux and historic churches.
sienna

26 Feb 2019 13:34

I will miss him.
User avatar Potomac

Previous

Return to Professional road racing