Register

Giro 2019 Field Discussion/Speculation

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

11 Jan 2019 01:39

Red Rick wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Froome has won 6 of them GTs

Thomas has a single top 14

Doesnt really work like that tho, its the first time we really have seen what he is capable of if everything goes well. If you follow cycling (I know you do), Thomas has shown that kind of potential on many occasions (admittedly most didnt expect him to climb THAT well), the ability to climb with the best and we all know what great allrounder he is. The question on him has always been recovery/bad luck alá Porte.

GT winning potential he's shown exactly once, in the Tour he won. Not even the results in shorter stage races suggested he could win one.

Froome, when he doesn't ride the Giro, is the safer bet by a huge margin.

At this stage of his career I don't see Froome winning anything by a huge margin except maybe a TT if Dennis and Dumoulin are not around. How motivated Thomas is to double up or even if he gets the opportunity is another matter......the fact that Thomas re-signed with Sky indicates he is either happy to play second fiddle again or he has been promised opportunities based on his Tour win not to mention his salary increase. Will have to wait and see how the races play out to see which it is. The ideal situation for Thomas is a repeat of last year with Froome dropping early time, how likely that is remains to be seen but bad luck can strike any time and if Thomas is in a position like last year it could be interesting.

I think it's Froome's last chance to win the elusive fifth Tour so the pressure may be on a little more even though Froome usually copes well with that. Of course Thomas has to first return in 2018 Tour form to have any hope. If Thomas is close to Froome on GC I expect he will follow team orders and Froome is not the type to crack when a win is within reach. The cowboy days of open revolts within teams seems to be over but they sometimes made for great viewing.
movingtarget
Veteran

11 Jan 2019 07:25

Koronin wrote:
rick james wrote:its not a contest to see who's more popular

Except that Thomas is better PR for the team and likely better PR in securing a new sponsor.

This is correct. Froome is not quite the invincible rider he was, although that is probably down to aiming for 4 GT wins in a row. Thomas was absolutely invincible in the last TdF and could have won more stages (was way up in the final TT before easing off to secure the win). 50/50 leadership would be correct.
dastott

11 Jan 2019 10:55

So SDB said that Froome was #1 at TdF so Gee can go for the Giro and be dom/second choice at TdF.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“steel slats” does not a wall make.
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

11 Jan 2019 11:11

Robert5091 wrote:So SDB said that Froome was #1 at TdF so Gee can go for the Giro and be dom/second choice at TdF.

I'm starting to get positive vibes about the chances that the 2020 TdF is gonna feel like an improvement.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

11 Jan 2019 11:41

Either way.

If Froome or Thomas is just able to follow Kwiat, Poels, Sosa, Bernal, Castroviejo, Kiryienka, De La Cruz, Moscon, Geoghegan Hart, Dunbar, Rosa, Elissonde or whoever is deployed in the train and they will be good.

Win the TTT comfortably. Stay away from crashes and mechanicals. Then ride a solid ITT. And then theres no way you can beat them. Unless they somehow show up and just are very poor, which is the least likely scenario.

My god I hate this team lol
Salvarani

Re: Giro 2019 Field Discussion/Speculation

11 Jan 2019 11:54

I genuinly think Bernal has a bigger chance of winning the giro than Thomas. The whole situation just smells a lot like 2013 Wiggins and we all know how that turned out. And even if Thomas is at the top of his game, I'd say there is a good chance he will simply be outclimbed by Bernal.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

11 Jan 2019 11:58

Have a really hard time seeing Thomas beat Dumoulin when they're equally fresh and when there's no TTT.

Bernal is just a question mark cause I have no idea what his level last year was worth in a GT and how much he'll improve.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

11 Jan 2019 12:14

Red Rick wrote:Have a really hard time seeing Thomas beat Dumoulin when they're equally fresh and when there's no TTT.

Bernal is just a question mark cause I have no idea what his level last year was worth in a GT and how much he'll improve.

Yeah, but that's exactly the point. How is Thomas gonna beat Dumoulin, cause I don't think there is anything Thomas is actually better at. With Bernal there is the uncertainty if he keeps improving like he did over the last two years, but if he does it's quite simple to see how he can beat Dumoulin, which is by simply dropping him uphill.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

11 Jan 2019 13:32

Thomas showed in the TdF he has a vicious kick at the end of a climb, which Dumuolin hasn't really shown since 2015 Vuelta. In the TTs it could be close.
dastott

11 Jan 2019 13:50

Thomas is faster than most of climbers, I remember when he was young sometimes he took part also in some mass sprints especially at Tour of Britain but also in some Tour stages, probably he has lost some speed but if he wants I think he could also grab bonus seconds by sprinting in some hilly stages.
Nirvana

Re:

11 Jan 2019 17:25

Nirvana wrote:Thomas is faster than most of climbers, I remember when he was young sometimes he took part also in some mass sprints especially at Tour of Britain but also in some Tour stages, probably he has lost some speed but if he wants I think he could also grab bonus seconds by sprinting in some hilly stages.

This, plus Cav has stated multiple times Thomas's wheel is one of the ones he prefers to follow for sprints.
User avatar SHAD0W93

Re:

11 Jan 2019 18:01

Nirvana wrote:Thomas is faster than most of climbers, I remember when he was young sometimes he took part also in some mass sprints especially at Tour of Britain but also in some Tour stages, probably he has lost some speed but if he wants I think he could also grab bonus seconds by sprinting in some hilly stages.

I remember the days when Thomas was mostly visible as a lead-out man.
Wij steunen hem, tenzij hij niet genoeg fietst.
Anderis

17 Jan 2019 18:46

Aru will ride the Giro.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

17 Jan 2019 19:42

The OP states that Woods will be riding but it's actually not sure. He said in this http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/michael-woods-tour-down-under-is-one-for-the-climbers-this-year/ interview that he had said to the sports director of the team (Wegelius) that he would like to do the Tour this year. And I honestly can't blame him. He has not ridden it yet and he is not a young guy so you never know when will be his last chance to ride the biggest race in the calendar.
Anderis

17 Jan 2019 20:04

If Woods skip the Giro it would be pure logic. Next years Giro-field overall looks a lot tougher than the Tour. Top 10 would be difficult for a guy like Woods.

I don't know how well Woods fare in the high mountains (above 2000 m) but the low amount of time trialling should suit his characteristics. He could be stage hunting and still be plan b for a scenario where Uran fails (like 2018).
Kyllingen86

17 Jan 2019 20:37

There's a longish TTT in the Tour, though, so maybe from EF's point of view it would be better to have a team consisting of guys who can TT a bit better and to choose between Uran, Kangert, Van Garderen, Martinez, Craddock, Brown, Clarke and the classics guys and have Woods as someone who can actually achieve something during the Giro as Modolo doesn't appear to be a reliable guy in GTs and other big races. Or maybe they can send Martinez to have his first GT leadership. Not many options to choose from unless someone like Carthy has a breakthrough but he has always had poor recovery so it's a long way for him before he can do well in GTs.

If I were Woods, though, I would prefer to go to the Tour as well. When you're turning 33 this year, you don't know how many good years you have left and it would be a shame for such a good rider to never have the chance to ride the Tour.
Anderis

Re:

20 Jan 2019 05:11

Rollthedice wrote:Aru will ride the Giro.

The big question is when is the old Aru going to show up ?
movingtarget
Veteran

20 Jan 2019 07:56

movingtarget wrote:
Rollthedice wrote:Aru will ride the Giro.

The big question is when is the old Aru going to show up ?

At this stage you have to assume its the piss poor one. So long since he was relevant.
Singer01

Previous

Return to Professional road racing