Log in:  

Register

General News Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

20 Feb 2018 12:29

It was Deignan that sat up. She was 2nd in the hillclimb but knew she had no chance whatsoever against Annemiek in a H2H time trial, however Longo Borghini and Guarnier (her teammate) were not far behind. Lizzie would also probably lose to ELB if it came down to just TT prowess, but if they worked as a trio they could potentially chase Annemiek down. That worked fine, until they got towards the climb, as ELB stopped cooperating, knowing that she'd get worked over by the two Boels girls, both of whom could outsprint her, so she saved energy and attacked on the climb, dropping Megan but not Lizzie, who then outsprinted her into the Stade Velodrome at the end to preserve the status quo. Annemiek wasn't really under threat of being caught once Lizzie sat up and waited because she had enough of an advantage over Megan that by the time the trio had come together she had a big enough advantage to defend untroubled.

I actually think that, patterned after the skiing, they absolutely SHOULD allow drafting. It makes it much more tactical. However, they need it to either be a race with an MTT and a flat pursuit, or a decent length flat TT and a mountain pursuit, to have any reasonable hope of succeeding.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,738
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

Re:

20 Feb 2018 17:23

Libertine Seguros wrote:It was Deignan that sat up. She was 2nd in the hillclimb but knew she had no chance whatsoever against Annemiek in a H2H time trial, however Longo Borghini and Guarnier (her teammate) were not far behind. Lizzie would also probably lose to ELB if it came down to just TT prowess, but if they worked as a trio they could potentially chase Annemiek down. That worked fine, until they got towards the climb, as ELB stopped cooperating, knowing that she'd get worked over by the two Boels girls, both of whom could outsprint her, so she saved energy and attacked on the climb, dropping Megan but not Lizzie, who then outsprinted her into the Stade Velodrome at the end to preserve the status quo. Annemiek wasn't really under threat of being caught once Lizzie sat up and waited because she had enough of an advantage over Megan that by the time the trio had come together she had a big enough advantage to defend untroubled.

I actually think that, patterned after the skiing, they absolutely SHOULD allow drafting. It makes it much more tactical. However, they need it to either be a race with an MTT and a flat pursuit, or a decent length flat TT and a mountain pursuit, to have any reasonable hope of succeeding.


You are completely correct it was Guarnier not Stephens and it was Deignan who sat up waiting for ELB and Guarnier - I thought it was strange tactics at the time by Deignan, even taking into account the likelihood of Deignan catching AVV - I worry about this addition in the Baby Giro because with National Teams at play there is the possibility of collusion.

I notice your comments about drafting - It's this very factor which has damaged the credibility of triathlons during the cycling leg, along with poor course design - Triathlons are so boring now because you have groups of ten to twenty riders who draft - Of course if you had better course design so that each cycling leg had a 2 or 3 km climb at 5 or 6%, then you'd get rid of much of the drafting.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,508
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Stages of Giro U23

20 Feb 2018 19:40

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Max Rockatansky
Member
 
Posts: 1,074
Joined: 16 Jun 2015 11:59

20 Feb 2018 19:58

Sterrato at 20% for some u23s lol
Brullnux
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,359
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

Re:

21 Feb 2018 14:13

Brullnux wrote:Sterrato at 20% for some u23s lol

Yeah, the final 2.2km are at 17.8% on sterrato, that's a bit over the top, what's next, a Colle Bettaforca MTF?. :D
Last year the only had one real mountain stage and this year it's almost a mountain overkill, I guess iit would be a good way to get young riders ready for a Zomegnan Giro route.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,444
Joined: 30 Jun 2014 17:11

21 Feb 2018 14:22

Insanely hard route. Needless to say I like it!
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,577
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re: Re:

21 Feb 2018 18:25

Mayomaniac wrote:
Brullnux wrote:Sterrato at 20% for some u23s lol

Yeah, the final 2.2km are at 17.8% on sterrato, that's a bit over the top, what's next, a Colle Bettaforca MTF?. :D
Last year the only had one real mountain stage and this year it's almost a mountain overkill, I guess iit would be a good way to get young riders ready for a Zomegnan Giro route.

http://pcmdaily.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=33087
http://pcmdaily.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=36943
:D
I think it's the sign of a clean rider and a real sportsman to be attracted to the bigger challenge over the ultimate result. Good luck with the Giro/Tour double, Chris Froome. -Phil Gaimon
Forever The Best
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,149
Joined: 15 Apr 2016 16:10

Re: General News Thread

21 Feb 2018 21:23

So if understand this correctly Zomegnan has returned but he now prefers to torture younger cyclists?
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,762
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

Re: General News Thread

28 Feb 2018 22:31

Lotto-NL to withdraw the partnership with the cycling and ice-skating team.

new sponsor to be known soon https://twitter.com/TourDeJose/status/968960666504761344
pastronef
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,359
Joined: 19 Aug 2011 08:25
Location: Italia

Re: General News Thread

01 Mar 2018 08:26

pastronef wrote:Lotto-NL to withdraw the partnership with the cycling and ice-skating team.

new sponsor to be known soon https://twitter.com/TourDeJose/status/968960666504761344



Jumbo will step in for the next five years. Budget will be raised.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2219997-jumbo-voor-vijf-jaar-hoofdsponsor-schaats-en-wielerploeg.html
Vesica
Member
 
Posts: 321
Joined: 12 May 2014 18:21

01 Mar 2018 09:27

The statement says that Lotto withdraws as the main sponsor ("hoofdsponsor"); do they mean to imply they will still remain a secondary sponsor? I really hope the team will be called Jumbo-lotto now, instead of Lotto-jumbo. :p
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,557
Joined: 23 Oct 2011 17:47

Re:

01 Mar 2018 13:53

Maaaaaaaarten wrote:The statement says that Lotto withdraws as the main sponsor ("hoofdsponsor"); do they mean to imply they will still remain a secondary sponsor? I really hope the team will be called Jumbo-lotto now, instead of Lotto-jumbo. :p


No, Lotto will leave the team.
User avatar GP Blanco
Member
 
Posts: 770
Joined: 26 Dec 2012 11:34
Location: Bottom of a lake which used to be a sea

Re: General News Thread

01 Mar 2018 14:50

Vesica wrote:
pastronef wrote:Lotto-NL to withdraw the partnership with the cycling and ice-skating team.

new sponsor to be known soon https://twitter.com/TourDeJose/status/968960666504761344



Jumbo will step in for the next five years. Budget will be raised.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2219997-jumbo-voor-vijf-jaar-hoofdsponsor-schaats-en-wielerploeg.html


According to this it's open ended with a minimum of 5 years and they will be adding a development team (2 actually including speedskating). Sounds a lot like they plan to return to the Rabobank model.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2220038-een-megadeal-ongekend-voor-de-nederlandse-sport.html
eric_vv
Junior Member
 
Posts: 110
Joined: 12 Mar 2009 13:03

02 Mar 2018 10:17

Euskal Herriko Itzulia / Vuelta Ciclista al País Vasco 2018 route:
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,997
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

02 Mar 2018 10:55

A flat ITT in Itzulia? When was the last time it happened?

Edit: Or does it just look flat on the profile? I can't tell.
User avatar johnymax
Member
 
Posts: 1,068
Joined: 08 May 2014 06:53

02 Mar 2018 11:05

I've mapped it myself, and it is flat. The rise is no real climb.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,997
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

02 Mar 2018 18:00

Very surprising. It's definitely not happened this millenium, or in the mid-late 90s.
User avatar GuyIncognito
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,289
Joined: 27 Jun 2013 21:19

02 Mar 2018 18:03

Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar Alexandre B.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,605
Joined: 10 Feb 2015 20:04
Location: Paris, France

03 Mar 2018 15:28

At first glance I thought the route for itzulia was pretty easy, but it's actually really good, with some great stages. The first stage has two muri in a row, the second stage allows for some attacks, a flat itt opens the race up a bit more (although, it should play into the hands of people like kwiatkowski), stage 5 is another well balanced stage, with a great opportunity for attacks, while the last stage is just eibar. Really good.
Brullnux
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,359
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

Re:

03 Mar 2018 16:57

Brullnux wrote:
The first stage has two muri in a row

Image
User avatar fauniera
Member
 
Posts: 1,421
Joined: 12 Oct 2013 15:00

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: pastronef, Pricey_sky, roundabout and 37 guests

Back to top