Register

General News Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: peloton, Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

02 Mar 2017 13:40

jflemaire wrote:
Flamin wrote:Probability was already high, but now it's official: no Italian races on Sporza. Horrendous news.

Not even the Giro?

Nope, package deal.
User avatar Flamin

02 Mar 2017 14:03

Tour de Suisse route announced.

I guess its decent, but nothing more than that. No pure sprint stage is a plus, the time trial will be more deciding, but not particular fond of the mountain stages considering the geography they have available. Also, for the love of god, please stop with those 100 km stages, they are seriously driving me nuts. And the worst part of it is people actively are endorsing it!
Rise, Zomegnanists!
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

02 Mar 2017 14:17

Valv.Piti wrote:Tour de Suisse route announced.

I guess its decent, but nothing more than that. No pure sprint stage is a plus, the time trial will be more deciding, but not particular fond of the mountain stages considering the geography they have available. Also, for the love of god, please stop with those 100 km stages, they are seriously driving me nuts. And the worst part of it is people actively are endorsing it!
I think it's a more balanced route than last year which was very mountanous and discouraged GC riders who went to Dauphine.
For the 100 km stages, i prefer watching 2 hours of full gaz racing rather than waiting for 5 hours and nothing happen in the end. That's the new model of racing and i think we will see more of them in grand tours as teams continue to neutralize races. The inauguration of the Hammer series will also be a good opportunity to test something new and challenge the statu-quo.
“Race is race. Was like was.”
User avatar sQiD

02 Mar 2017 14:20

sQiD wrote:

I think it's a more balanced route than last year which was very mountanous and discouraged GC riders who went to Dauphine.
For the 100 km stages, i prefer watching 2 hours of full gaz racing rather than waiting for 5 hours and nothing happen in the end. That's the new model of racing and i think we will see more of them in grand tours as teams continue to neutralize races. The inauguration of the Hammer series will also be a good opportunity to test something new and challenge the statu-quo.

I don't really want to have this conversation again (this has been debated so many times on this forum), but I couldn't disagree more.
Rise, Zomegnanists!
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

02 Mar 2017 14:43

SBS in Australia lost access to all Italian races in 2017.

My ideal scenario for a GC is 25km TTT and 35km ITT - This allows individual riders as well as the teams to show their strength - TTT must be in the first three stages.
yaco

02 Mar 2017 14:50

sQiD wrote:

When have you watched 5 hours of a Tour de Suisse stage? ;)

Nobody who is a serious TdF contender will do this race. Just like in the last years.
Max Rockatansky

02 Mar 2017 15:09

Max Rockatansky wrote:
sQiD wrote:

When have you watched 5 hours of a Tour de Suisse stage? ;)

Nobody who is a serious TdF contender will do this race. Just like in the last years.
We will soon watch that in this year TDF as the whole races will be broadcasted.
“Race is race. Was like was.”
User avatar sQiD

02 Mar 2017 16:07

And nobody will force anyone to tune in earlier than they otherwise would have...
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

02 Mar 2017 18:17

Infront wants to shift the Tour de Suise into early fall. They already requested it prior to this season, but the UCI refused it. They might grant their wish next year, though. In late September it should still be possible to hit the Alps and the Tour de Suisse could potentially strike some major riders that ain't got no more season goals other than the Italian fall classics after the Tour. Just put in the new Tour of Germany into the current slot of the TdS and / or grade up the Route du Sud, then!
User avatar staubsauger

Re:

02 Mar 2017 18:23

staubsauger wrote:Infront wants to shift the Tour de Suise into early fall. They already requested it prior to this season, but the UCI refused it. They might grant their wish next year, though. In late September it should still be possible to hit the Alps and the Tour de Suisse could potentially strike some major riders that ain't got no more season goals other than the Italian fall classics after the Tour. Just put in the new Tour of Germany into the current slot of the TdS and / or grade up the Route du Sud, then!

I'd definitely welcome this change. It could also serve as a warmup for Il Lombardia that way!
Rise, Zomegnanists!
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

02 Mar 2017 20:25

staubsauger wrote:Infront wants to shift the Tour de Suise into early fall. They already requested it prior to this season, but the UCI refused it. They might grant their wish next year, though. In late September it should still be possible to hit the Alps and the Tour de Suisse could potentially strike some major riders that ain't got no more season goals other than the Italian fall classics after the Tour. Just put in the new Tour of Germany into the current slot of the TdS and / or grade up the Route du Sud, then!

Yes, it wouldn't be a bad idea. They already wanted to have the the same week as Dauphine, but the UCI refused it.
User avatar Mayomaniac

Re: General News Thread

03 Mar 2017 14:52

Max Rockatansky wrote:Paris - Roubaix

The race will feature 28 sectors of pavé this year. This means 257 kms of racing with 55 kms of cobbles. The new beginning of the pavés sections will look like this:

Troisvilles (nº 28, 2,200 m)
Viesly to Quiévy (nº 27 , 1800 m)
Quiévy to Saint-Python (nº 26, 3 700 m)
NEW Briastre (nº 25, 3 000 m) -> last time used in 1987
NEW Briastre to Solesmes (nº 24, 800 m)

This means sectors 26, 25 and 24 with a combined length of 7,5 kilometers are packed on only 11 kilometers.

And there is another change...

After the refreshment in Solesmes the following three sectors 23, 22 and 21 are packed differently. These sectors have a combined length of 5,7 kilometers. They are now packed on 7,5 kilometers of racing.

http://www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/PRX/2017/100/parcours_2017.pdf

Here we have the map with all the details.

The way to Arenberg will look like this more or less. It's quite difficult to map the sectors, when you don't have street view.

Max Rockatansky

09 Mar 2017 21:44

Here's the route of the returning Baby Giro:

Stage 1: Imola-Imola; 132.2km
Stage 2: Castellarano – San Valentino di Castellarano; 145.8km (uphill finish)
Stage 3: Bagnara di Romagna – Forlì; 140.5km
Stage 4: Forlì – Gabicce Mare; 155.5km
Stage 5a: Segnigallia – Osimo; 87.2km (uphill finish)
Stage 5b: Campocavallo – Campocavallo ITT; 14km
Stage 6: Francavilla al Mare – Casalincontrada; 132.2km (hilly stage with a finish on a murito)
Stage 7: Francavilla al Mare – Campo Imperatore; 148.9km (MTF)

The Maglia Nera is also making a comeback.

Source: http://www.bicitv.it/ecco-il-giro-ditalia-under-23-enel-sette-tappe-alla-scoperta-dei-giovani-campioni/
Not a bad route, stage 6 should come after stage 7, but it's still decent.
28 teams will be invited, 11 one of those will be foreign teams. No official names, but from what I've hear the BMC Development Team and the Axelbots from Axeon will be there.
User avatar Mayomaniac

09 Mar 2017 22:43

Any news on the Catalunya-route?
Rise, Zomegnanists!
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

09 Mar 2017 23:10

Valv.Piti wrote:Any news on the Catalunya-route?

Stage 1
Stage 2
Stage 3
Stage 4
Stage 5
Stage 6
Stage 7
snccdcno

11 Mar 2017 19:48

Is the Baby Giro for Under 23 riders or still for Under 27 ones?
User avatar the asian

11 Mar 2017 19:50

U27?... that sounds like a pretty high age-limit for a "youth race"...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

11 Mar 2017 19:51

RedheadDane wrote:U27?... that sounds like a pretty high age-limit for a "youth race"...

It used to be.

Would be good if it's limited to just under 23 riders.
User avatar the asian

11 Mar 2017 19:57

I just figured that since it's called the Baby Giro it would be for rather young riders...
Surely you can't ride it if you're on a WT team?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

11 Mar 2017 19:57

the asian wrote:Is the Baby Giro for Under 23 riders or still for Under 27 ones?

Yes, the new name is Giro d'Italia Under 23, I forgot to mention that.
The 16 best Italian developmental teams (they have a new points ranking) will be invited and according to La Gazzetta also the teams from Lotto Soudal, BMC, a Russian and a Colombian team, the DD ct team, the Astana City team, Team Wiggins and Axeon + 2 regional squads/interregional squads (different regions could join forces to send a single team).

Also 6 riders per team, the italian teams will only be CT level and they'll only be allowed to bring a single non-Italian rider to the race.
Source: http://www.bicitv.it/giro-ditalia-u23-2017-aggiornati-i-criteri-per-la-partecipazione/
User avatar Mayomaniac

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing