Register

General News Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Re: Re:

11 Mar 2017 20:08

Mayomaniac wrote:
the asian wrote:Is the Baby Giro for Under 23 riders or still for Under 27 ones?

Yes, the new name is Giro d'Italia Under 23, I forgot to mention that.
The 16 best Italian developmental teams (they have a new points ranking) will be invited and according to La Gazzetta also the teams from Lotto Soudal, BMC, a Russian and a Colombian team, the DD ct team, the Astana City team, Team Wiggins and Axeon + 2 regional squads/interregional squads (different regions could join forces to send a single team).

Also 6 riders per team, the italian teams will only be CT level and they'll only be allowed to bring a single non-Italian rider to the race.
Source: http://www.bicitv.it/giro-ditalia-u23-2017-aggiornati-i-criteri-per-la-partecipazione/

Curious what the Colombian team will be. When Bananito Betancur won Giro Bio they had a national team with riders from different teams, like in Tour de l'Avenir. But in races like Giro Valle d'Aosta they had a sponsored team (Manzana Postobon).
User avatar DNP-Old

11 Mar 2017 20:17

Mayomaniac wrote:
the asian wrote:Is the Baby Giro for Under 23 riders or still for Under 27 ones?

The 16 best Italian developmental teams (they have a new points ranking) will be invited and according to La Gazzetta also the teams from Lotto Soudal, BMC, a Russian and a Colombian team, the DD ct team, the Astana City team, Team Wiggins and Axeon + 2 regional squads/interregional squads (different regions could join forces to send a single team).

Also 6 riders per team, the italian teams will only be CT level and they'll only be allowed to bring a single non-Italian rider to the race.
Source: http://www.bicitv.it/giro-ditalia-u23-2017-aggiornati-i-criteri-per-la-partecipazione/

U23 is much better than U27 for a developing riders event. There is no purpose to having guys in their mid 20s there. The 16 Italian teams part is crazy though. There are not 80 to 100 young riders of any one country of a level to be racing the cream of the world's development teams on a mini GT route. Most of those guys are going to get clubbed like baby seals. Also it means the Italians who actually are good enough will be split among too many teams.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

11 Mar 2017 20:26

Zinoviev Letter wrote:
Mayomaniac wrote:

U23 is much better than U27 for a developing riders event. There is no purpose to having guys in their mid 20s there. The 16 Italian teams part is crazy though. There are not 80 to 100 young riders of any one country of a level to be racing the cream of the world's development teams on a mini GT route. Most of those guys are going to get clubbed like baby seals. Also it means the Italians who actually are good enough will be split among too many teams.

Agree with both the age limit & your comments with regards to the number of Italian teams.

Should have invited much more foreign teams.
User avatar the asian

11 Mar 2017 20:41

Overall we'll have 10 foreign teams, that's not too bad.
I don't mind having a decent amount of Italian teams, but 15 teams are just too many and only 1 foreign rider per Italian team is a stupid rule.
There aren't many Italian teams that could send a competitive squad with 5 Italian U23 riders (Colpack, Palazzago and maybe Zalf have the potential to do that).
User avatar Mayomaniac

16 Mar 2017 11:01

Breh

16 Mar 2017 11:23

If you need a lawyer in the peloton, now you know where to look.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRqw_yvjkOU/?taken-by=manuelquinziato&hl=da
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

16 Mar 2017 11:31

Breh wrote:http://www.letour.fr/criterium-du-dauphine/2017/us/

Dauphiné route for 2017.

Stage 1 is good.

Not a fan of them using a climb (here Mont du Chat) as a teaser for July. This trend must die.

I like how they are using the town of Alpe d'Huez in a different manner. Last stage is short but the parcours is not really incentive for early attacks.
User avatar Alexandre B.

16 Mar 2017 13:42

Alexandre B. wrote:
Breh wrote:http://www.letour.fr/criterium-du-dauphine/2017/us/

Dauphiné route for 2017.

Stage 1 is good.

Not a fan of them using a climb (here Mont du Chat) as a teaser for July. This trend must die.

I like how they are using the town of Alpe d'Huez in a different manner. Last stage is short but the parcours is not really incentive for early attacks.

hilly time trial is also worth paying attention to. that will be another great toss up between bertie and sky. hopefully nairo will want to join too.
dacooley

16 Mar 2017 14:54

No fan of the route, but it isn't bad either. Looking forward to see a couple of new climbs.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

16 Mar 2017 19:58

What about Vuelta al Pais Vasco route. Are the stage profiles out yet? If not I don't know what are they waiting for. The race starts in two weeks.
User avatar johnymax

16 Mar 2017 20:30

Contador vs. Kwiatkowski. Not a route for Henao to really contend, I think.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

17 Mar 2017 08:18

mikii4567 wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:Mount Etna erupted today.

Will this cause some complications for the next Giro?

Don't think so. Etna is constantly an active volcano (the most active in Europe) and sometimes it has its moments when it decides to erupt. It happens every once in a a while and usually doesn't last that long. The eruptions usually aren't very intensive (ie. about 1/100 the power of the Iceland volcano in 2010) but the lava can obviously be very deadly. Zomegan had contingency plans ready in 2011 and I'm sure Vegni does now, too.

Not looking good for the mountain right now
rick james

18 Mar 2017 04:33

They should knock that mountain down. It's a total nuisance.
Dan2016

18 Mar 2017 10:57

rick james wrote:
mikii4567 wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:Mount Etna erupted today.

Will this cause some complications for the next Giro?

Don't think so. Etna is constantly an active volcano (the most active in Europe) and sometimes it has its moments when it decides to erupt. It happens every once in a a while and usually doesn't last that long. The eruptions usually aren't very intensive (ie. about 1/100 the power of the Iceland volcano in 2010) but the lava can obviously be very deadly. Zomegan had contingency plans ready in 2011 and I'm sure Vegni does now, too.

Not looking good for the mountain right now

Luckily they aren't riding the Giro right now.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

19 Mar 2017 14:35

Anyone know where to find them Pais Vasco profiles
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

Re:

19 Mar 2017 15:03

Red Rick wrote:Anyone know where to find them Pais Vasco profiles

They aren't out yet I think
Alberto we love you
on the road
you don't need to say this stuff
we saw you on the road
you blessed us with 9 great shows
let's not argue the toss about the official count
you are much bigger than that
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

19 Mar 2017 16:46

LaFlorecita wrote:

Really? Some posters seem to know it already, or is Netserk omniscient?
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

19 Mar 2017 16:59

Red Rick wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:

Really? Some posters seem to know it already, or is Netserk omniscient?

The route is out, I think, just not the profiles. There is a rather long ITT I believe, around 25km, which would be bad for Henao. Maybe that is what's on Netserk's mind.
Alberto we love you
on the road
you don't need to say this stuff
we saw you on the road
you blessed us with 9 great shows
let's not argue the toss about the official count
you are much bigger than that
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

19 Mar 2017 17:29

I saw the ITT profile done by some third party when the route was announced but I don't think that the profile is 100% official (albeit it should be very precise). In the official website the only profile that it's up is of the stage to Arrate.
User avatar Ricco'

Re: General News Thread

19 Mar 2017 17:30

the official presentation is on March 23rd
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing