Register

General News Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

30 Dec 2011 23:22

The Hitch wrote:You chose the most subjective choice on which to complain ;)

I think everyones moment of the year will be different. For you it will be something with Cadel winning the Tour, for me its the sheer shock of seeing The Great One attack 14 k into a stage.

I think choosing Cav as the ride of the year for a sprint is the biggest mistake. Yes sprinting is a talent but to qualify for ride of the year imo he would need to cause a split in the peloton, bring one back AND THEN win a sprint.

Just like Andy Schleck should get ride of the year, not for attacking 3k out on some mountian, but for attacking 65k out, gaining time on a descent and flat against the peloton and holding them off on the long and painful final 20k uphill.

To get ride of the year, you really should do something extraordinary.

El Gorrion ?

Come on, I could understand AC's attack, Schleck's or Evans' ride up the Galibier or Cadel's tt and a couple of others but Tommy Voeckler? What he did was surprising but I don't think that moment was that spectacular.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Veteran

30 Dec 2011 23:29

Arnout wrote:Could be, I've no idea, its too small. But you have it too? Although its now normal again.

No, I thought you were making a joke about the speechmarks on the picture being like glasses and it looking like some geek.

auscyclefan94 wrote:Come on, I could understand AC's attack, Schleck's or Evans' ride up the Galibier or Cadel's tt and a couple of others but Tommy Voeckler? What he did was surprising but I don't think that moment was that spectacular.

Cancellara at Ronde, Phil on Muur, Contador up Etna, Nieve/ Garzelli on 15, Kiriyenka up Finnestre Cobo up Angrilu Froome up Pena Cabarga etc etc etc.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

31 Dec 2011 00:00

The Hitch wrote:No, I thought you were making a joke about the speechmarks on the picture being like glasses and it looking like some geek.

No, it wasn't a joke actually :eek: But its over now, so I guess it was just a browser bug.
User avatar Arnout

31 Dec 2011 00:39

gooner wrote:Interesting to see this guy daniel mcmahon"s 10 predictions for the 2012 cycling season ahead on bicycling.com. He says evans will win his second tour and cavendish wont win the olympic road race.

http://bicycling.com/blogs/thehub/2011/12/30/10-predictions-for-pro-cycling-in-2012/

See 2 pages back for discussion on that;)

Edit: woops I mean Contador clinic thread.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

31 Dec 2011 11:19

gooner wrote:Interesting to see this guy daniel mcmahon"s 10 predictions for the 2012 cycling season ahead on bicycling.com. He says evans will win his second tour and cavendish wont win the olympic road race.

http://bicycling.com/blogs/thehub/2011/12/30/10-predictions-for-pro-cycling-in-2012/

Smart guy!:)
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Veteran

31 Dec 2011 14:41

Pierre Rolland just as good as the Schlecks, says Bernaudeau
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

31 Dec 2011 15:39

LaFlorecita wrote:Pierre Rolland just as good as the Schlecks, says Bernaudeau

Then why wasn't he second?
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

31 Dec 2011 17:03

I am lazy so I might as well put it here. First 2 road stages of the next Tour

http://www4.lameuse.be/mediastore/Tourliegeseraing.pdf

http://www4.lameuse.be/mediastore/Tourvisetournai.pdf

Stage 1 is a bit meh.
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

31 Dec 2011 23:24

roundabout wrote:I am lazy so I might as well put it here. First 2 road stages of the next Tour

http://www4.lameuse.be/mediastore/Tourliegeseraing.pdf

http://www4.lameuse.be/mediastore/Tourvisetournai.pdf

Stage 1 is a bit meh.

Stage 1 is pretty much Plumelec 2008 again.
Veteran

01 Jan 2012 10:47

El Pistolero wrote:Then why wasn't he second?

are you serious? :rolleyes:
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Veteran

01 Jan 2012 11:59

Ryo Hazuki wrote:are you serious? :rolleyes:

I'm afraid he is...

In no mountain stage he was weaker than Schleck though. I hope he can win the Tour this year.
User avatar Arnout

01 Jan 2012 13:27

Arnout wrote:I'm afraid he is...

In no mountain stage he was weaker than Schleck though. I hope he can win the Tour this year.

I'm afraid to ask, but are you serious?

Andy Schleck sucked this year, Rolland is not as good as Andy. End of story. Just the usual chauvinistic nonsense. I bet Thomas Degendt is just an as good climber as Andy Schleck just because he out-climbed him at Suisse and stayed with him on Alpe :o

Andy's level in the mountains was lower this year than usual. If Rolland is only as good as this year's Andy he's not nearly good enough. In my opinion, Andy slacked off this year because he thought he'd have it "easy" when Contador wouldn't be there.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

01 Jan 2012 13:43

Oh yes, I forgot I'm French and so chauvinistic about Rolland.

But you're right, Rolland is not stronger than Schleck, but Schleck was weaker than Rolland.
User avatar Arnout

01 Jan 2012 13:51

Arnout wrote:Oh yes, I forgot I'm French and so chauvinistic about Rolland.

But you're right, Rolland is not stronger than Schleck, but Schleck was weaker than Rolland.

No, not you I'm talking about Jean-René Bernaudeau.

So Schleck is a tactical idiot and was worse than Rolland and still finished way higher than him :) Bright future Rolland has :) Lol.

User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

01 Jan 2012 14:09

El Pistolero wrote:No, not you I'm talking about Jean-René Bernaudeau.

So Schleck is a tactical idiot and was worse than Rolland and still finished way higher than him :) Bright future Rolland has :) Lol.

you clearly haven't seen the tour 2011. did you even know what rollands role was? :rolleyes:
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Veteran

01 Jan 2012 14:12

Ryo Hazuki wrote:you clearly haven't seen the tour 2011. did you even know what rollands role was? :rolleyes:

Yeah, supporting Voeckler in the mountains where no one ever attacked except in the Alpes. And when they attacked on Galibier and Alpe stages, Rolland didn't react. In fact, he only worked a little on the stage Andy won.

Voeckler matched Andy Schleck on every mountain except Alpe because he foolishly tried to follow Contador even after getting dropped. Is he just as good as Andy as well now? Is Voeckler going to win the Tour? Yeah, I very much doubt it.

User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

01 Jan 2012 14:14

Schleck was also way better on 18.

User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

01 Jan 2012 14:14

sorry pistolero rolland looked better than some tour winners.there is no limit for him.didn't see someone breathing like that since landis and basso,the man is the real deal
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks
Veteran

01 Jan 2012 14:16

jens_attacks wrote:sorry pistolero rolland looked better than some tour winners.there is no limit for him.didn't see someone breathing like that since landis and basso,the man is the real deal

Then why was he so slow on Alpe Dhuez? The time was pathetic compared to some Tour winners ;)

User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

01 Jan 2012 14:21

El Pistolero wrote:Then why was he so slow on Alpe Dhuez? The time was pathetic compared to some Tour winners ;)

lol
did you even check the telegraphe and galibier times?

of course after you go full gas on galibier you can't eat the alpe.i didn't verified the times but i know for sure that telegraphe was ridden as a new record and telegraphe+galibier also new record,faster than pantani and the stratospheric soler ascent from 2007

comparing just the alpe times is comparing apples and oranges.also the time wasn't real bad,still faster than guerini:p
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing