Register

General News Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

14 Aug 2018 18:28

Jungle Cycle wrote:The retirement of Alonso will restart the bike team project??

Alonso should build a team around Pozzato who as well has been paid for doing absolutely nothing ever since 2012!
User avatar staubsauger

Re: Re:

14 Aug 2018 19:12

staubsauger wrote:
Jungle Cycle wrote:The retirement of Alonso will restart the bike team project??

Alonso should build a team around Pozzato who as well has been paid for doing absolutely nothing ever since 2012!

Contador and Purito should come out of retirement. Giampaolo Caruso, Alessandro Ballan, Damiano Cunego, Chris Horner. Let's start a petition.
User avatar TMP402
Veteran

Re:

15 Aug 2018 05:58

He's leaving F1, not racing.
He's still going to be racing for many years, still no time for a cycling team
User avatar GuyIncognito

15 Aug 2018 11:16

Profile of the first edition of Great War Remembrance Race, looks like an easy Gent-Wevelgem with Kemmelberg less than 30 kms to go as the likely deciding point.

https://www.greatwarremembrancerace.be/assets/files/GWRR2018-men-map-profile.pdf

This is the provisional startlist, BMC and Quick-Step will come with strong teams.

https://www.greatwarremembrancerace.be/assets/files/GWRR2018-men-teams.pdf
Nirvana

17 Aug 2018 05:11

staubsauger wrote:

I think he's continuing to race the endurance cars, races like Le Mans etc.....but he shouldn't be as busy. Hope he gets the cycling team off the ground. Some more new blood is needed with sponsors etc....
movingtarget
Veteran

17 Aug 2018 17:35

movingtarget wrote:
staubsauger wrote:

I think he's continuing to race the endurance cars, races like Le Mans etc.....but he shouldn't be as busy. Hope he gets the cycling team off the ground. Some more new blood is needed with sponsors etc....

Quite the opposite. He'll be racing 2 series full time, he'll be even busier than before.
User avatar GuyIncognito

25 Aug 2018 07:01

Very sad news. Javier Otxoa has died at age 43 after a long illness. My thoughts with his friends and family. DEp Javier I hope that Ricardo is waiting for you so that you can ride together again.
User avatar mariposa

Re:

25 Aug 2018 11:34

mariposa wrote:Very sad news. Javier Otxoa has died at age 43 after a long illness. My thoughts with his friends and family. DEp Javier I hope that Ricardo is waiting for you so that you can ride together again.

:cry:

Must admit that the accident happened before I really started following cycling, but I can't imagine how terrible it must have been for Javier; waking up from a coma after an accident, only to learn that his twin brother was dead and, presumably, long buried.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

25 Aug 2018 22:36

movingtarget wrote:
staubsauger wrote:

Major rumors are that he's headed to the US to race Indy Cars.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

25 Aug 2018 22:38

mariposa wrote:Very sad news. Javier Otxoa has died at age 43 after a long illness. My thoughts with his friends and family. DEp Javier I hope that Ricardo is waiting for you so that you can ride together again.

RIP Javier.
User avatar Koronin

01 Sep 2018 13:53

Not sure if there ever is a running list of licenced teams..in the US we only have one level of pro racing w 3 of our major teams announcing a complete withdrawal from the sport..it was mentioned that Silber ..a good Canadian team would fold.and now a story about One switching from men's to women's cycling... " because of greater potential "..
I am personally worried that the lack of domestic work for riders in the US is causing a chicken and egg conundrum ...our best races have had participation by good European teams and that has knocked lesser U.S. teams completely out..if Sagan, Alaphilippe and other talents see the Tour of California and other races as helping there overall yearly campaign small squads will not w seeing any action..
I love seeing some of the best race here in the US..I guess my concern is w talk of logistic and safety concerns calling for smaller sizes both in terms of team members and peloton size were will small teams fit? Where will they get exposure?
Does anybody have the criteria that the Vuelta uses? Is there a mandate for Spanish teams to have guaranteed participation?
Rally in the US has some press this year about the desire to do more and bigger races on the European calendar..
Unchained

01 Sep 2018 13:58

But...One Pro Cycling is a British team, isn't it?
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

Re:

01 Sep 2018 14:31

GenericBoonenFan wrote:But...One Pro Cycling is a British team, isn't it?

British..100% founded by an ex-pro cricket player..I think 3 pro continental teams will fold in the UK this year..
The place I didn't expect to see 2 decent teams pop up..Israel..
Jelly Belly lasted @18 years..United Health Care also had a good run..Aqua Blue set to fold after being registered in a couple of races..
Unchained

01 Sep 2018 17:41

Unchained wrote:
GenericBoonenFan wrote:But...One Pro Cycling is a British team, isn't it?

British..100% founded by an ex-pro cricket player..I think 3 pro continental teams will fold in the UK this year..
The place I didn't expect to see 2 decent teams pop up..Israel..
Jelly Belly lasted @18 years..United Health Care also had a good run..Aqua Blue set to fold after being registered in a couple of races..

You are mixing up US and UK again. The UK (includes Ireland, right?) only has 1 PCT this year: Aqua Blue; therefore unlikely 3 of them will fold. Jelly Belly and UHC are US.
janraaskalt

02 Sep 2018 20:16

Why do you think that the UK includes Ireland?
barmaher

04 Sep 2018 10:56

Neil Stephens has left Mitchelton Scott citing a difference in philosophy.

From all accounts he’s very popular amongst the riders and close to Chaves, I hope that this doesn’t come back to haunt them.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

04 Sep 2018 11:37

Thought something was up when there was no Stephens at the Vuelta - Of course philosophical differences would mean anything.
yaco

Re:

05 Sep 2018 04:17

yaco wrote:Thought something was up when there was no Stephens at the Vuelta - Of course philosophical differences would mean anything.

Like when someone leaves a rock band for artistic differences..........right......maybe partly the Ewan situation also maybe Michelton going too far on GC and not worrying about other options ? Could be anything but it sounds like he didn't like the direction they were taking for the team. Fair enough, time to move on.
movingtarget
Veteran

05 Sep 2018 11:43

New finale for Paris-Tours. More hills, and 12.5km of dirt sections through vineyards.

https://twitter.com/ParisTours/status/1037279747838042113

blackcat wrote:you must respect the Cobra, a man who can give himself his own nickname. he trancends hubris.
User avatar luckyboy
Veteran

Re:

05 Sep 2018 13:12

luckyboy wrote:New finale for Paris-Tours. More hills, and 12.5km of dirt sections through vineyards.

https://twitter.com/ParisTours/status/1037279747838042113

Kinda unnecessary as the finale of the race has been great for the last few years but I like it nonetheless.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing