Register

General News Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

20 Nov 2018 12:33

Lappartient in an interview for the Gazzetta (I don't post it because is mainly on clinic related stuff) said that he wants two WC in Africa in the next decade (they already have candidatures from Rwanda and Marocco for 2025).

But the really important thing (and something that could affect vastly the calendar) is that he said he's working for 2020 to have California in the first week of May and Giro start postponed to the second part of May to avoid the overlapping of the two races and allow riders to ride both. In this case I wonder if they need to postpone also every race after the Giro or they'll overlap the Giro with Dauphine and maybe even Suisse and reduce to only three or four week the break between Giro and Tour. And what they'll do with the usual preparation races for the Giro, riding in California could become more attractive than going to Tirol or Romandie with more likely cold and bad weather and almost a month before the start of the Giro.
And not to mention that for 2020 we could also have the Olympics overlapping with the Tour considering that RR is scheduled for the 26th of July, the likely Sunday of Champs Eliseé.
Nirvana

20 Nov 2018 13:11

E3 Harelbeke changes it's name to the E3 BinckBank Classic, only minor changes to the route.
Breh

20 Nov 2018 16:37

It's at least 16 hours by plane and 9 time zones from CEST, but sure, let's **** up the calender to put make sure that California and Giro do not overlap.
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

Re:

20 Nov 2018 16:42

Nirvana wrote:Lappartient in an interview for the Gazzetta (I don't post it because is mainly on clinic related stuff) said that he wants two WC in Africa in the next decade (they already have candidatures from Rwanda and Marocco for 2025).

But the really important thing (and something that could affect vastly the calendar) is that he said he's working for 2020 to have California in the first week of May and Giro start postponed to the second part of May to avoid the overlapping of the two races and allow riders to ride both. In this case I wonder if they need to postpone also every race after the Giro or they'll overlap the Giro with Dauphine and maybe even Suisse and reduce to only three or four week the break between Giro and Tour. And what they'll do with the usual preparation races for the Giro, riding in California could become more attractive than going to Tirol or Romandie with more likely cold and bad weather and almost a month before the start of the Giro.
And not to mention that for 2020 we could also have the Olympics overlapping with the Tour considering that RR is scheduled for the 26th of July, the likely Sunday of Champs Eliseé.

Scheduling disaster waiting to happen. Who decides what week the race is?

Anyway, I don't believe the Tour would clash with the ORR
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

20 Nov 2018 16:50

I think it is a wonderful idea - Giro has been pushing to start a week later which will 99% ensure there are no issues for bad weather.
yaco

Re:

20 Nov 2018 16:52

Breh wrote:E3 Harelbeke changes it's name to the E3 BinckBank Classic, only minor changes to the route.

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: Re:

20 Nov 2018 17:00

Red Rick wrote:
Breh wrote:E3 Harelbeke changes it's name to the E3 BinckBank Classic, only minor changes to the route.

Their presentation video is quite cool, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CbfVmLZjA8&t=6s
User avatar tobydawq

20 Nov 2018 17:00

Red Rick wrote:
[url=<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2324764#p2324764</span>]Nirvana[/url] wrote:Lappartient in an interview for the Gazzetta (I don't post it because is mainly on clinic related stuff) said that he wants two WC in Africa in the next decade (they already have candidatures from Rwanda and Marocco for 2025).

If they want to avoid a clash between the Tour and Olympics they need to start the Tour at the end of June so it could end the 19th of July, but in that case there will be only two or three weeks between a Giro that could start in the second half of May and the Tour. And with the Olympics RR the Sunday after the end of the Tour will still be hard for riders interested in going for gold finish the Tour, going to Japan it's not like going to San Sebastián.
Nirvana

20 Nov 2018 17:04

I'm honestly a little confused here. Lappartient wants to move around the Giro and ToC, so said two races won't clash. Yet there are no words about P-N and T-A, or CdD and TdS…
Aka The Ginger One.
Holy, ****! I'm a veteran!
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

20 Nov 2018 17:16

RedheadDane wrote:I'm honestly a little confused here. Lappartient wants to move around the Giro and ToC, so said two races won't clash. Yet there are no words about P-N and T-A, or CdD and TdS…

He can't unclash all races... What about London, San Sebastián, Poland, Canadian Classics, Hamburg, Vuelta?
User avatar tobydawq

Re: Re:

20 Nov 2018 17:24

tobydawq wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:I'm honestly a little confused here. Lappartient wants to move around the Giro and ToC, so said two races won't clash. Yet there are no words about P-N and T-A, or CdD and TdS…

He can't unclash all races... What about London, San Sebastián, Poland, Canadian Classics, Hamburg, Vuelta?

Exactly. Like, dude, just stop!
And that's just the various clashes between WT races...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

20 Nov 2018 17:40

yaco wrote:I think it is a wonderful idea - Giro has been pushing to start a week later which will 99% ensure there are no issues for bad weather.

They have already obtained the extra week they wanted, next year the Giro will start the second week of May instead of the first but that won't change anything because Dauphine and Suisse will also move and all the races after will maintain the slot used this year after the Tour was moved for football World Cup (as well as all the races after the Tour).
What Lappartient wants is pushing the Giro forward another week or two to put California in the first week of May and then another week or two to allow the riders to come back to Europe and start the Giro, in that case the Giro will start around the 20th of May and end mid June, to maintain the actual calendar with this move Dauphine and Suisse should move to late June, national championship to early/mid July, the Tour between mid/late July and early/mid August and so on, I doubt that could be sustainable because the season will end in November and moving only the Giro and California will screw the calendar and no one will benefit.
Nirvana

Re:

20 Nov 2018 17:51

Nirvana wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
[url=<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2324764#p2324764</span>]Nirvana[/url] wrote:Lappartient in an interview for the Gazzetta (I don't post it because is mainly on clinic related stuff) said that he wants two WC in Africa in the next decade (they already have candidatures from Rwanda and Marocco for 2025).

If they want to avoid a clash between the Tour and Olympics they need to start the Tour at the end of June so it could end the 19th of July, but in that case there will be only two or three weeks between a Giro that could start in the second half of May and the Tour. And with the Olympics RR the Sunday after the end of the Tour will still be hard for riders interested in going for gold finish the Tour, going to Japan it's not like going to San Sebastián.

Tour start at the end of June happens regularly.

Don't consider a super short GT lay off to be a huge problem, cause few riders ride Giro/Tour anyway. Tour too close to Vuelta would be a big problem for the Vuelta.

But yeah, still can't imagine it's good for the Olympic Road Race. Might see a loooot of riders going Giro/Olympics/Vuelta/Worlds in 2020 then.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

20 Nov 2018 18:04

A potentially climber-friendly WC in 2020 as well

Although it would be 7 weeks between the Giro and Olympics, so not really a great build-up
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

21 Nov 2018 01:25

ASO wants to put mortar between the cobbles in Aremberg, that's even worse than Lappartient calendar works.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/arenberg-sector-of-paris-roubaix-cobbles-set-to-be-made-safer/

With this continuous degeneration toward a non sense research of safety everywhere i fear the day that will be a rainy Roubaix they'll cut out three quarters of the cobbles sectors from the race.
Nirvana

21 Nov 2018 11:38

Tour of the Alps 2019 route presented!
https://tourofthealps.eu/it/

Great to have Monte Giovo and San Genesio in the race!
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

Re:

21 Nov 2018 11:49

Laplaz wrote:Tour of the Alps 2019 route presented!
https://tourofthealps.eu/it/

Great to have Monte Giovo and San Genesio in the race!

Great route, the ascent before San Genesio is also irregular and on a rather narrow road.
User avatar May0maniac
Veteran

Re:

21 Nov 2018 12:16

Nirvana wrote:ASO wants to put mortar between the cobbles in Aremberg, that's even worse than Lappartient calendar works.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/arenberg-sector-of-paris-roubaix-cobbles-set-to-be-made-safer/

With this continuous degeneration toward a non sense research of safety everywhere i fear the day that will be a rainy Roubaix they'll cut out three quarters of the cobbles sectors from the race.

I'm fine with this as long as they also level the Tourmalet or at least dig a tunnel underneath.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

21 Nov 2018 13:25

Guys, the mortar is quite probably just as much to ensure that the Arenberg will actually stay in the race.

"It won't mean that the sector will be less difficult," Amis president Soulcier insisted, hoping to allay the fears of fans. "We're not trying to change the character of the most iconic part of the race."

If I know those guys they're probably going to take great care that every rock and stone is exactly as loopsided as it was before, and with mortar there'll be no leveling out any stone afterwards.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

21 Nov 2018 20:42

RedheadDane wrote:Guys, the mortar is quite probably just as much to ensure that the Arenberg will actually stay in the race.

"It won't mean that the sector will be less difficult," Amis president Soulcier insisted, hoping to allay the fears of fans. "We're not trying to change the character of the most iconic part of the race."

If I know those guys they're probably going to take great care that every rock and stone is exactly as loopsided as it was before, and with mortar there'll be no leveling out any stone afterwards.

I think that this is only PR, it's obvious that the intention is to make the surface smoother.
And not to mention the fact that grass and mud over the stones are part of the difficulties of Aremberg, already with a total cleaning you make it easier, then add to this a filling of the gaps between the stones :rolleyes:
Nirvana

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing