Register

General News Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

30 Dec 2018 12:58

Quick update on Samuele Manfredi. From the Groupama-FDJ FB page.

Latest news about Samuele Manfredi: his condition remains serious but is slowly improving as recent reactivity showed encouraging signs. Thank you for your support.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

01 Jan 2019 16:41

It doesn't seem to have been mentioned anywhere that Eendaagse De Panne (not the real name, though it should be) will be a WorldTour race this year. I just randomly stumbled upon it when looking at a calendar. Hopefully, the course will be more interesting than last year's.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

01 Jan 2019 17:02

tobydawq wrote:It doesn't seem to have been mentioned anywhere that Eendaagse De Panne (not the real name, though it should be) will be a WorldTour race this year. I just randomly stumbled upon it when looking at a calendar. Hopefully, the course will be more interesting than last year's.

That's potentially great news as it opens the door for the race to truly become the Three Days of De Panne once again in the future!

Hopefully it benefits the race and it's line-up this year already, like you suggested!
User avatar staubsauger

01 Jan 2019 17:15

Probably no surprise as the women's edition this year was part of the WT.
yaco

01 Jan 2019 22:23

Had rather seen KBK get WT-status, but this is also alright. More to boost the Flandrian spring calender, a very nice 4 races before de Ronde.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

02 Jan 2019 01:55

Valv.Piti wrote:Had rather seen KBK get WT-status, but this is also alright. More to boost the Flandrian spring calender, a very nice 4 races before de Ronde.

I see no advantages about more Flandrian classics becoming WT. Life is already hard enough for the Belgian CT teams with the trend of giving invitations to foreign money-teams. Shutting them definitely out from more races doesn't help the situation at all. Races like KBK and De Panne get good enough fields already, it's not like you have to dangle the WT carrot to make teams take those races seriously.
User avatar Squire

Re: Re:

02 Jan 2019 09:19

Squire wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Had rather seen KBK get WT-status, but this is also alright. More to boost the Flandrian spring calender, a very nice 4 races before de Ronde.

I see no advantages about more Flandrian classics becoming WT. Life is already hard enough for the Belgian CT teams with the trend of giving invitations to foreign money-teams. Shutting them definitely out from more races doesn't help the situation at all. Races like KBK and De Panne get good enough fields already, it's not like you have to dangle the WT carrot to make teams take those races seriously.

Well, I think the hope is in the case of De Panne that it will be a harder race with more attention and better riders attending, but yeah, you are probably right.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

02 Jan 2019 12:08

If Driesdaagse actually becomes Driesdaagse again, I just hope it won't have a negative effect on the women's race. Hopefully two three-day races run parallel with each other.

Though, wasn't there some talk about including a U23 race, so it would actually be three days, just three separate races?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

02 Jan 2019 12:51

Returning to three days for men is impossible in the new calendar slot because there is E3 on friday and starting on monday is out of question with Sanremo, Denain and Handzame in the previous weekend.
The only way to return a three days race is swapping again its place with Dwars and returning midweek between Gent and Ronde but Flanders Classics has asked and obtained the slot so won't happen.
Nirvana

02 Jan 2019 12:56

Might be a stupid question; but do those races use (some of) the same roads? Having races overlap isn't exactly unheard of.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

02 Jan 2019 13:02

RedheadDane wrote:Might be a stupid question; but do those races use (some of) the same roads? Having races overlap isn't exactly unheard of.

Obviously, you can't have two Flemish races who normally share the same protagonists (and yes, roads) run at the same time.
User avatar tobydawq

02 Jan 2019 13:22

I can see how sharing roads would be an issue, since you can't set a schedule like "Race A will pass at 2 pm, and race B at 4 pm." Coz then what's gonna happen will probably be that the riders in Race A all crashes or get lost, while the riders in Race B decide to ride as if they were chased by rapid boars on motos.
But as for the protagonists; the way I see it it would just be giving some other guys the chance to shine.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

02 Jan 2019 13:29

Then let's just have the three Grand Tours at the same time with all the five monuments on the same day during that period.
User avatar tobydawq

02 Jan 2019 13:54

I meant the riders who (for one reason or another) wouldn't get a slot in WT race.
But actually, I just figured a way to do it:

Of the races Nirvana mentioned the only WT race, other than Driesdaagse, that would be an issue is E3, I know Sanremo is a WT race too (a Monument even), but it isn't exactly a Flemish race. (Same for Catalunya).
So you could have Sanremo on Saturday, Driesdaagse from Monday to Wednesday, and finally E3 on Friday. Then we could have Handzame the day before Sanremo, and Denain the day after. (Then we just need to find a race to fit in between Driesdaagse finishing, and E3.)

However, I can't seem to find Handzame on the PCS calendar; mistake or... has it been cancelled?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

02 Jan 2019 14:08

RedheadDane wrote:I meant the riders who (for one reason or another) wouldn't get a slot in WT race.
But actually, I just figured a way to do it:

Of the races Nirvana mentioned the only WT race, other than Driesdaagse, that would be an issue is E3, I know Sanremo is a WT race too (a Monument even), but it isn't exactly a Flemish race. (Same for Catalunya).
So you could have Sanremo on Saturday, Driesdaagse from Monday to Wednesday, and finally E3 on Friday. Then we could have Handzame the day before Sanremo, and Denain the day after. (Then we just need to find a race to fit in between Driesdaagse finishing, and E3.)

However, I can't seem to find Handzame on the PCS calendar; mistake or... has it been cancelled?

Okay, that makes sense then. I think Handzame has been renamed (can't remember to what).

Edit: Bredene Koksijde Classic.
User avatar tobydawq

02 Jan 2019 14:11

I kinda figured out about Handzame by looking a bit more carefully at the calendar. (It's Bredene Koksijde Classic now)
However, I guess an issue now would be the locals maybe being a little bit annoyed that their roads are constantly blocked…
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

02 Jan 2019 16:25

RedheadDane wrote:I kinda figured out about Handzame by looking a bit more carefully at the calendar. (It's Bredene Koksijde Classic now)

Seems that the race organisers are taking advantage of their new status. They have invited Tarteletto-Isorex and Cibel Cebon Continental teams as wildcard entries, but on the condition they pay 1.850 euros for a 'VIP package'. Peter Bauwens, team manager of Tarteletto-Isorex, is not impressed - his reaction is reported here
https://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/peter-bauwens-in-de-clinch-met-organisator-bredene-koksijde-classic/
Tim Booth

Re: Re:

02 Jan 2019 16:49

Tim Booth wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:I kinda figured out about Handzame by looking a bit more carefully at the calendar. (It's Bredene Koksijde Classic now)

Seems that the race organisers are taking advantage of their new status. They have invited Tarteletto-Isorex and Cibel Cebon Continental teams as wildcard entries, but on the condition they pay 1.850 euros for a 'VIP package'. Peter Bauwens, team manager of Tarteletto-Isorex, is not impressed - his reaction is reported here
https://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/peter-bauwens-in-de-clinch-met-organisator-bredene-koksijde-classic/

Understandable; it was HC last year, it's HC this year. A new name does not a new status make.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

02 Jan 2019 18:57

I just noticed the whole calender got moved 1 week ahead. :(
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

02 Jan 2019 19:22

Valv.Piti wrote:I just noticed the whole calender got moved 1 week ahead. :(

Most years it moves by 1 or 2 days because the days of the week have to align. For example, Roubaix has to be on a Sunday, so it was on the 10th in 2016, 9th in 2017, 8th in 2018

You can't keep moving back forever, so after a while you have to move it "back" to where it was originally, which is a week forward
User avatar GuyIncognito

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing