Register

The official Great Bauke Mollema thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

31 Jul 2016 03:43

Good win, happy to see him bounce back.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re: The official Great Bauke Mollema thread

22 Sep 2016 10:26

Piet Allegaert made a diary on his Tour of Alberta as Stagiair for Trek including a great anecdote about the Great Bauke Mollema (in the Krant van West-Vlaanderen on 9 September)

“Mollema Won and Drank Green Tea, the Rest Ordered a Beer”

Piet Allegaert is third year U23 and stagiair with Trek Segafredo and could start the Tour of Alberta along with, among others, the Great Bauke Mollema.

On Thursday 25 August he flew off to Chicago alone because Stijn Devolder was sick and only made the trip later on. Then it was 2.5 hours driving to the hotel.

On Friday 26 August they rode 2.5 hours on the bike to the Trek seat in Waterloo, Wisconsin. [It’s a coincidence that Wout Van Aert and riders of the Telenet-Fidea team have also recently been in Waterloo, Wisconsin at the moment visiting the Trek seat, hmm and this being said, Wout is not racing on a Trek bike ???][I didn’t know that there was a town called Waterloo in Wisconsin, I know that a lot of Belgians migrated to Green Bay, Wisconsin in the 1850’s and many town names echo Belgian town names but I’ve never heard of Waterloo]. Then they took the bus to Madison.

On Saturday 27 August Gran Fondo through Wisconsin; 280km over one straight road with hills like in France. They rode the first 170km and then were taken back to Chicago and to spend the night there.

On Sunday 28 No training, 4 hour flight to Calgary followed by a 45’ flight to Lethbridge.

On Monday 29 brought by car to Waterton National Park where they trained for 4 hours in the Canadian Rockies. That was really mountainous.

On Tuesday 30 brought by car to Glacier National Park for another 4 hour training with a 15km climb. It was breathtakingly beautiful.

The training in the National Parks were two of the most beautiful days of my life.

On Wednesday 31 Team presentation of the Tour of Alberta with [The Great Bauke] Mollema, [Harry] Dondo, his roommate Devolder, Hesjedal, Stetina, Rast & Schleck. The VIP guests were there mainly for eating and had less attention for the riders.

On Thursday 1 September it was Stage 1 of the race. [The Great Bauke] Mollema was along in the good breakaway and for Piet it was also a nice day because it was planned that he could go for his own chance. Even more, the others would support him, which happened. Rast led him out the sprint and he won … for the 12th place but it pleased him. After the end of the stage there was a 3 hour move and they only arrived in their hotel at 0.30. No massage. Straight to bed!

On Friday 2 September Heavy wind and rain, conditions comparable to Brussels-Zepperen, earlier this year. Everybody was benumbed. He could not even put on his gloves. With the team they’ve worked to catch a dangerous 10-man breakaway and he bridged a gap himself alone in the finale. For that reason he couldn’t contend for the win.

On Saturday 3 September was windy again but not enough. There was a two-man breakaway but no danger from the ranking of [the Great Bauke] Mollema. Piet was 15th in the stage ranking which he sure shouldn’t complain about.

On Sunday 4 September there was first a three-hour trip to Edmonton where they had to race a TT. It wasn’t a real good day. He is no TT’er himself and besides he felt the results of the efforts he had made the three days before with systematically a hilly stage at a 45% average speed. Yet they celebrated because [the Great Bauke] Mollema won the ITT and came 2nd in the GC, 1” behind Carpenter. The team allowed them to choose by ourselves what we would drink. Everybody chose a beer but [the Great Bauke] Mollema (wink). He drank green tea. :D

On Monday 5 they did everything to make [the great Bauke] Mollema get back but Robin Carpenter and his team was very strong.

On Tuesday 6 they took a three-hour flight to Montreal and then a 7-hour flight back to Brussels.

On Wednesday 7 he landed in Zaventem Airport at 9am local time. He couldn’t really sleep in the plane, got bored, watched a film and listened to music but he’s glad he could have made this experience. In October he will race the Tour of Abu Dhabi [unfortunately] with Trek too. On Friday 9 he raced the Tour of Moselle for the Quick Step development team but he claimed that the jetlag was still clearly in his legs. [well normally you recover quite fast from jetlags]
Echoes

29 Jan 2017 23:03

Nice to see the Great One add another stage race to his palmares. He has finally learnt the knack of turning strong placings into actual wins, starting about a year and a half ago with the Tour of Alberta. He used to be a very frustrating rider to cheer for, but now that he reliably wins a couple of races every year it's a much more pleasant experience.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

29 Jan 2017 23:47

And then he finally choses for another GT then the Tour, and then Quintana, Nibali, Aru and others decide to turn up :o probably will end up 4th or something
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

30 Jan 2017 18:17

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:And then he finally choses for another GT then the Tour, and then Quintana, Nibali, Aru and others decide to turn up :o probably will end up 4th or something

He will contest for the bad-luck competition with Kruijswijk :D
ice&fire

31 Jan 2017 19:05

Green tea. Good company for alberto.
User avatar jens_attacks
Veteran

01 Feb 2017 00:32

ice&fire wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:And then he finally choses for another GT then the Tour, and then Quintana, Nibali, Aru and others decide to turn up :o probably will end up 4th or something

He will contest for the bad-luck competition with Kruijswijk :D

Only cause Gesink got sick of winning that one and Richie Porte always figures highly as well !
movingtarget
Veteran

16 Jul 2017 18:10

Putting the "great" back in "great Bauke Mollema" again today :p
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

Re:

16 Jul 2017 18:20

Maaaaaaaarten wrote:Putting the "great" back in "great Bauke Mollema" again today :p

Was thinking something similar.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

16 Jul 2017 19:05

Certainly was great today. Most impressive solo ride of the Tour, if you ask me.
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest

16 Jul 2017 20:00

Finally, TGBM again, congratulations to Bauke.
Yingge

16 Jul 2017 21:07

Congrats to Bauke Mollema, that was a great ride!
User avatar Christian
Veteran

16 Jul 2017 21:08

Fantastic ride, very happy for him. A second stage is a real possibility. I prefer him in this mode than as a GC rider, but the economics of the sport dictate that if you can ride GC, you ride GC.

I'm curious about his status in the team next year. He was (perfectly understandably) second fiddle to Contador in this year's plans, but will that change?
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

Re:

16 Jul 2017 21:18

Zinoviev Letter wrote:Fantastic ride, very happy for him. A second stage is a real possibility. I prefer him in this mode than as a GC rider, but the economics of the sport dictate that if you can ride GC, you ride GC.

I'm curious about his status in the team next year. He was (perfectly understandably) second fiddle to Contador in this year's plans, but will that change?

He said he'll lead Trek's GC ambitions in Le Tour 2018.

He certainly wants to prove that he's better than 6-10 on GC.
User avatar Alexandre B.

Re:

16 Jul 2017 21:18

Zinoviev Letter wrote:Fantastic ride, very happy for him. A second stage is a real possibility. I prefer him in this mode than as a GC rider, but the economics of the sport dictate that if you can ride GC, you ride GC.

To be honest, I don't see him win another stage. There are only two options left that I can see (17 & 18) and he hasn't been climbing well enough to win either.

Next year, he will be allowed to go for GC in his beloved TDF again, hanging on at the back of the favorites group to finish in the lower regions of the top-10. IMO, what he did today is far better than any of his TDF GC results!
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re: Re:

16 Jul 2017 21:59

LaFlorecita wrote:

To be honest, I don't see him win another stage. There are only two options left that I can see (17 & 18) and he hasn't been climbing well enough to win either.

Next year, he will be allowed to go for GC in his beloved TDF again, hanging on at the back of the favorites group to finish in the lower regions of the top-10. IMO, what he did today is far better than any of his TDF GC results!

I certainly agree with your last point. To be fair to Mollema, he has started to convert his strong performances into occasional victories and now has a palmares a bit more commensurate with his abilities than he had a few years ago. But I hate the way that minor place riding is so strongly incentivised by the sport's structure and Mollema is a prime exhibit on that score.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

16 Jul 2017 22:27

LaFlorecita wrote:

To be fair he was doing really well last year until his crash.
User avatar Kwibus
Veteran

16 Jul 2017 22:31

Deserved win. He took his chance, bet that the chase would not be organized, was strong down the stretch. Nice.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

16 Jul 2017 22:36

NICE RIDE BAUKE!
jmdirt

17 Jul 2017 07:13

Kwibus wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:

To be fair he was doing really well last year until his crash.

This, 100%. He could have gotten a fantastic GC result last year if he hadn't crashed. It shows he is able to compete for Top 5 is he's at his absolute best.
User avatar SoigneurNL

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing