Log in:  

Register

¡Adiós!

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

20 Nov 2017 12:32

Lars Petter Nordhaug retires; Leigh Howard will focus on track cycling.

http://www.aquabluesport.com/blog/news-release-20112017.html
User avatar Bye Bye Bicycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,357
Joined: 28 Sep 2010 04:32
Location: There there.

Re:

20 Nov 2017 17:46

Bye Bye Bicycle wrote:Lars Petter Nordhaug retires; Leigh Howard will focus on track cycling.

http://www.aquabluesport.com/blog/news-release-20112017.html


These were the two riders with Aquablue who notably underperformed. At least there's an explanation now for Nordhaug's near invisibility. It's unfortunate for an illness to effectively end his career.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,435
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

Re: Re:

21 Nov 2017 03:41

Zinoviev Letter wrote:
Bye Bye Bicycle wrote:Lars Petter Nordhaug retires; Leigh Howard will focus on track cycling.

http://www.aquabluesport.com/blog/news-release-20112017.html


These were the two riders with Aquablue who notably underperformed. At least there's an explanation now for Nordhaug's near invisibility. It's unfortunate for an illness to effectively end his career.

Leigh Howard notably underperformed most of his career. Could have been a very good lead out man in the right setup. I did hear he liked to overtrain though.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,948
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

21 Nov 2017 11:29

Definitely right about Leigh Howard - Australian cycling experts thought he would have a better palmares.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,509
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

21 Nov 2017 13:45

Like Goss, he had a tendency to completely "drop his bundle" and crack the mopes when things weren't going his way.
dirkprovin
Member
 
Posts: 904
Joined: 13 Jul 2009 05:32

21 Nov 2017 21:30

Howard says he plans to return to the road, but it doesn't seem very likely to me that a now 28 year old will make it back to the pro ranks after quitting a pro contract to do something else for three years. He's not going to be sitting on the couch for the three years, but it's hard to see teams lining up to sign a 31 year old trackie.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,435
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

24 Nov 2017 14:42

Twan Castelijns retires.
Devil's Elbow
New Member
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 20 Sep 2017 19:50
Location: The Netherlands

30 Nov 2017 15:25

Philipp Walsleben calls it a day. He might (re-) turn to the road, though.
User avatar Bye Bye Bicycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,357
Joined: 28 Sep 2010 04:32
Location: There there.

07 Dec 2017 14:50

Cink fro Bahrain Merida has retired. That was one short carerrer, he seemed to have alot of potential.
Frankschleck
Member
 
Posts: 574
Joined: 17 Jul 2016 20:10

Re:

07 Dec 2017 15:08

Frankschleck wrote:Cink fro Bahrain Merida has retired. That was one short carerrer, he seemed to have alot of potential.


He didn't retire. He will return to mountain biking.
User avatar Ricco'
Member
 
Posts: 1,269
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 18:41
Location: Coimbra, Portugal

Re: Re:

07 Dec 2017 16:57

Ricco' wrote:
Frankschleck wrote:Cink fro Bahrain Merida has retired. That was one short carerrer, he seemed to have alot of potential.


He didn't retire. He will return to mountain biking.


retired from roadracing. Sorry. Still find it as a weird decision, he show this year he was pretty talented road cyclist as well.
Frankschleck
Member
 
Posts: 574
Joined: 17 Jul 2016 20:10

26 Jan 2018 15:06

Just realized Francesco Manuel Bongiorno retired. Never quite fufilled his potential, but good rider.
Frankschleck
Member
 
Posts: 574
Joined: 17 Jul 2016 20:10

25 Jun 2018 04:32

Michal Kolar (Bora) just retired from pro cycling at just 25.
User avatar Jancouver
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,575
Joined: 14 Mar 2009 22:03
Location: San Diego, USA

26 Jun 2018 03:08

Scrolling back upward, this last page is pretty depressing. Except for Nordhaug, I thought everyone on it still have more things to offer and to gain on the road, but certainly they themselves don't think so. Being a pro cyclist seems to be a not very fun endeavor even for those who love cycling so much.
User avatar gunara
Member
 
Posts: 668
Joined: 06 Dec 2012 14:42

Re:

26 Jun 2018 04:03

Jancouver wrote:Michal Kolar (Bora) just retired from pro cycling at just 25.

It’s great to know that Bora has given Kolar an opportunity to remain with the team in some capacity and not simply sever ties. Riders are left unprepared for retirement far too often.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,948
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

26 Jun 2018 17:08

Matt Brammeier (Aquablue), four times Irish RR champion, announces his retirement as a rider. He will be joining British Cycling as lead academy coach for their men’s endurance program.

Apart from his national RR (and on one occasion TT) wins, the most notable thing about his pro career is that it happened at all - he was hit by a cement truck as an espoir and badly injured.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,435
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

Re:

26 Jun 2018 19:23

Zinoviev Letter wrote:Matt Brammeier (Aquablue), four times Irish RR champion, announces his retirement as a rider. He will be joining British Cycling as lead academy coach for their men’s endurance program.

Apart from his national RR (and on one occasion TT) wins, the most notable thing about his pro career is that it happened at all - he was hit by a cement truck as an espoir and badly injured.

And that it continued after this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h3Sb9Tr3XE
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan
Member
 
Posts: 1,714
Joined: 27 Dec 2015 16:46
Location: in Flanders fields where poppies blow

Re: Re:

26 Jun 2018 20:59

GenericBoonenFan wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:Matt Brammeier (Aquablue), four times Irish RR champion, announces his retirement as a rider. He will be joining British Cycling as lead academy coach for their men’s endurance program.

Apart from his national RR (and on one occasion TT) wins, the most notable thing about his pro career is that it happened at all - he was hit by a cement truck as an espoir and badly injured.

And that it continued after this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h3Sb9Tr3XE


Yeah, the dude has come back from some pretty grim incidents.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,435
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

03 Aug 2018 10:51

Armand de Las Cuevas passed away, at the age of 50.
He allegedly killed himself.

He was among the best french riders in the nineties, former teammate of Miguel Indurain.
Winner of San Sebastian in 1994 and Dauphiné in 1998.
User avatar Alexandre B.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,608
Joined: 10 Feb 2015 20:04
Location: Paris, France

Re:

03 Aug 2018 11:08

Alexandre B. wrote:Armand de Las Cuevas passed away, at the age of 50.
He allegedly killed himself.


:cry:







That's just taking the "Adiós" part of this title extremely dark...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,819
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 17 guests

Back to top