Register

Diacritical marks

Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Moderators: Daniel Benson, Susan Westemeyer, Irondan

Diacritical marks

03 Jun 2014 23:18

Am I just loopy? Is it true that diacritical marks like accents and so on were formerly usable in the Forums but lately (perhaps just today after the boards came back up) their use results in gobbledy-gook symbols?

Or am I misremembering and they were never usable?
christopherrowe

03 Jun 2014 23:22

Diacritical marks were definitely usable. I've used them a lot.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

03 Jun 2014 23:38

Igor Ant?n
Leopold K?nig
Sven Krau?
Zdeněk ?tybar

They show up fine during the preview but not after posting them. What gives.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

04 Jun 2014 00:56

hrotha wrote:Igor Ant?n
Leopold K?nig
Sven Krau?
Zdeněk ?tybar

They show up fine during the preview but not after posting them. What gives.

Well, one made it. Maybe that gives a clue?
stefank

04 Jun 2014 20:37

Have any of the administrators had a chance to look into this yet? Given the international nature of our fandom, orthography is important, at least in my eyes. It makes me feel hopelessly provincial to type Vuelta a Espana without a tilde over the n.

Free the umlauts, the accents acute and grave, the cedillas! Release the circumflexes! :D
christopherrowe

07 Jun 2014 02:25

Just realized der umlaut in meine sig ist kaput.
Styrbjorn the Strong
User avatar StyrbjornSterki

07 Jun 2014 17:03

Libertine Seguros wrote:Diacritical marks were definitely usable. I've used them a lot.

But then look what happens when previously correct post are looked back upon.
:confused:
Libertine Seguros wrote:Izagirre and Igor Antón.

Izagirre dropped several minutes later on the climb, and Igor Antón won on Zoncolan in 2011 and is a mere shell of the super-climber he was in 2008 and 2010.

<snip>

On the other hand, if Igor Antón is going to go back to climbing like that as a habit, I'm probably going to get quite excitable.
User avatar Granville57

07 Jun 2014 18:14

explains the recent outage + post loss: db change. if they changed the db code page (?) or UTF format, or perhaps collation could mean some characters get processed differently when the post is retrieved, and display funny because the web page and the characters in it have different encodings, or the characters get munged when retrieved, or were irrevocably mangled when the change was made.

preview simply redisplays text
Letters to and from the pro peloton. twitter | blog
User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran

07 Jun 2014 19:09

User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran

07 Jun 2014 19:10

But if the db change means that all posts will be cut off whenever a post includes a diacritic it will make the forum all but unusable. This is a global sport, and there are people from all kinds of countries who will have to learn to mis-spell their countrymen's names in order to post about them. And one error where you correctly spell the name at the start of the post means a long post could all go AWOL. That's no fun.
Veteran

07 Jun 2014 19:16

agreed. looks like a relatively simple fix.

like i said: forum most likely a low priority, poorly funded asset.

they should fix it, you would think the same mySQL db would power the site, but perhaps not?

be interested if you could test your hypothesis, liberty?
User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran

07 Jun 2014 19:26

Already have done - I had a long post that was cut down to under a paragraph because I mentioned Chris Anker S
Veteran

07 Jun 2014 19:27

rensen in the first paragraph - had to use the back button on the browser, edit his name to Sorensen, then repost, but then it gave me two versions of the post so I deleted the first one.

Most gallingly, I added a new stage design to one of the library posts in the Race Design Thread, but where the finish was at the Gro
Veteran

07 Jun 2014 19:28

glockner, and because of where that was placed alphabetically (as a Giro stage), it promptly meant that all stages after that (Tour of anywhere, Volta or Vuelta or anywhere) disappeared from the post. Again, I could use the back button to amend, but it lost the hyperlinks, so that particular library post is temporarily useless.
Veteran

07 Jun 2014 23:33

:D Yes, well, thanks :D

How annoyment.
User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran

08 Jun 2014 03:17

christopherrowe wrote:have any of the administrators had a chance to look into this yet? Given the international nature of our fandom, orthography is important, at least in my eyes. It makes me feel hopelessly provincial to type vuelta a espana without a tilde over the n.

Free the umlauts, the accents acute and grave, the cedillas! Release the circumflexes! :d

Да. Молодцы. Вы говорили хорошо.
It is of great use to the sailor to know the length of his line, though he cannot with it fathom all the depths of the ocean. ~ John Locke
User avatar hiero2

08 Jun 2014 07:47

Очень хорошо.
جيد جدا
شكرا جزيلا!

Still doesn't work for diacritics in Latin script though.
Veteran

08 Jun 2014 10:23

christopherrowe wrote:Free the umlauts, the accents acute and grave, the cedillas! Release the circumflexes! :D

Very nicely put, and I wholeheartedly support this! ("Nicely put", I think this is also what hiero2 put in Russian, no? I took Russian for three years but it's been a long time, so I can still read the alphabet, but have no idea what the words mean. But "gavarit" and "xarashuo" I can still recall ^^).

This is quite annoying for me as well since I also use a lot of these accents and umlauts, and I keep forgetting that it does that so I always have to go back and re-write posts. Thanks Libertine for sharing the "return" option, I had not tried that yet
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian
Veteran

08 Jun 2014 14:38

Libertine Seguros wrote:Очень хорошо.

Как дела?:p
Echoes

08 Jun 2014 16:54

Christian wrote:Very nicely put, and I wholeheartedly support this! ("Nicely put", I think this is also what hiero2 put in Russian, no? I took Russian for three years but it's been a long time, so I can still read the alphabet, but have no idea what the words mean. But "gavarit" and "xarashuo" I can still recall ^^).

This is quite annoying for me as well since I also use a lot of these accents and umlauts, and I keep forgetting that it does that so I always have to go back and re-write posts. Thanks Libertine for sharing the "return" option, I had not tried that yet

Da. Yes.

Molodyetz. You did well. (Except I mispelled molodyetz. Wrong case, I think. Molodyetz is a particular form that literally means good job or something, but in common usage it means particlarly "YOU did a good job". It is strong validation of another's performance.)

Ti govari horosho. You said (it) well.

But mostly I was having fun with words. Since we were talking international, I figured I'd just toss something REALLY international in. I see somebody followed up with Arabic. I know a few words of Russian - but the Arabic is too much for me.
It is of great use to the sailor to know the length of his line, though he cannot with it fathom all the depths of the ocean. ~ John Locke
User avatar hiero2

Next

Return to About the forum