Register

Hangover cures

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

02 Jan 2016 09:35

Tried a new approach yesterday, but lying in the shower in fetal position with warm water pouring down on you for like half an hour didn't work too well.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

03 Jan 2016 16:20

Artichokes pills. The best thing ever.
magnolia

Re:

04 Jan 2016 03:41

Red Rick wrote:Tried a new approach yesterday, but lying in the shower in fetal position with warm water pouring down on you for like half an hour didn't work too well.
lol... I have no words for this one, but I do commend you for trying something new!

(Brand new "marginal gains" and all that other shite, right? ;) )
User avatar Tricycle Rider

04 Jan 2016 04:20

How about "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"?

Or to paraphrase a famous saying, anyone under 30 who hasn't been drunk hasn't lived fully; anyone over 30 who continues to get drunk isn't going to live fully.

And if that doesn't work, every time you get drunk, think about how you're helping raise health insurance costs for everyone.

Rant over.
Merckx index

Re:

04 Jan 2016 09:55

Merckx index wrote:How about "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"?

Or to paraphrase a famous saying, anyone under 30 who hasn't been drunk hasn't lived fully; anyone over 30 who continues to get drunk isn't going to live fully.

And if that doesn't work, every time you get drunk, think about how you're helping raise health insurance costs for everyone.

Rant over.

More of a preach than a rant. Cheers. Over 30 and still on a 2 week drunk. Still, I pay my own health insurance, that OK with you?
User avatar ferryman

07 Jan 2016 04:45

Drink a litre of water before going to bed.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re:

07 Jan 2016 05:49

42x16ss wrote:Drink a litre of water before going to bed.

make it cordial or an electrolyte drink/berocca, and you'll be doing far better
using this to wash down some vegemite toast helps too

seen the medico's do the saline drip 'method' - mind you, seeing someone at a party at 3am carrying the saline bag in the air while "plugged in" helped sober me up. They were starting their shift in less than 2hrs, and the thought of ending up on their ward worked a treat!!

funny that someone mentioned coffee - complete myth... you'll still be drunk/hungover, just a bit more awake thanks to the caffeine...
User avatar Archibald

Re:

07 Jan 2016 14:27

Tricycle Rider wrote:Lots of water and a couple of ibuprofen. (For those of us who may be allergic to aspirin.)

Exactly! One pill @ 400mg should be enough if the alcohol wasn't the worst quality (like cheap brandy instead of cognac)...
User avatar Martin

Re: Hangover cures

05 Feb 2016 11:38

If you're a bit organized and plan your drinking, you can take the multi-pronged approach of before, during, after.

Before drinking, eat a good meal, as someone else here said, rich in fats and carbs. Drink plenty of water.

During drinking, consume water and avoid cheap booze (which is often artificially fortified with alcohol and likely contains chemicals and impurities which will make hangover much worse). Pace your drinking - you want to get drunk, presumably, not make yourself sick.

After drinking but before going to bed, dissolve a packet of electrolyte salts in a glass of water and drink it. Most of a hangover is severe dehydration, and most of dehydration is electrolyte depletion; so replenish water and electrolytes before the problem occurs. Take a B-complex tablet and Vitamin C. This is really key. These vitamins are proven to do wonders for preventing hangover.

If you feel hungover when you wake up, have a breakfast rich in carbs and fats. Drink coffee. The caffeine will reduce swelling of blood vessels and thus lessen your headache. (Don't drink too much, though, as too much could make the headache worse.) Once you have something in your stomach, take the vitamins again. Have another glass of water with electrolyte salts. Stand in a hot shower or sit in a sauna to loosen tense muscles. Get some exercise.

Good as new. If you forget the before part, do the during and after. If you forget both before and during, you're screwed, but you can still minimize the hangover by doing the after bit.
2016: Year of the Red Fire Monkey
User avatar Maxiton

16 Mar 2016 03:35

I've found that trying to drink lots of water in the morning doesn't work that well and even makes me feel worse. Drinking something salty like vegetable stock seems to go down much better. Aside from that, a hangover shouldn't lost longer than 2 hours after you actually get up and start doing stuff. The worst thing is just to stay in bed or slump on the couch as then it can last all day.
User avatar cellardoor

Re: Re:

16 Mar 2016 04:17

KnarfnorInaD wrote:
cellardoor wrote:I've found that trying to drink lots of water in the morning doesn't work that well and even makes me feel worse. Drinking something salty like vegetable stock seems to go down much better. Aside from that, a hangover shouldn't lost longer than 2 hours after you actually get up and start doing stuff. The worst thing is just to stay in bed or slump on the couch as then it can last all day.

Actually it is best for the health: The body heals, and have nothing else to do than to sleep, and you had fun the night before. Of course that only works Friday and Saturday since Monday is work day.

But we were talking about hangover cures rather than how to make the hangover last as long as possible ;)
User avatar cellardoor

10 Jul 2016 19:44

Hard ride, Hot yoga (repeated handstands), raw oysters, Negroni.
aphronesis
Veteran

10 Jul 2016 20:59

After a certain age, nothing helps, I can assure you.

Anyone ever enjoyed a two day hangover?
User avatar kwikki

Re: Hangover cures

10 Jul 2016 21:01

Really like eating 3 or so ounces of grapes before going to sleep. Both some body for your stomach to chew on as well as a lot of liquid and freshness to prevent dehydration. Tastes really good too.

I hate hangovers though.
User avatar Arnout

Re:

10 Jul 2016 21:15

kwikki wrote:After a certain age, nothing helps, I can assure you.

Anyone ever enjoyed a two day hangover?

Yes, when I was 19
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

10 Jul 2016 21:33

a hangover is a nice fuzzy sensation in my world but i suppose it matters what you drink.
Starstruck

Previous

Return to General