Register

The 2017 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Come in and talk about betting, computer games and cycling simulations, and your office's or online fantasy cycling leagues.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick

04 Jan 2017 08:01

My team. Ilnur over Aru is a fun little gamble and URAN a sentimental choice. Gaviria did'nt even cross my mind which I kind of regret now..
Looks like and interesting year..

ZAKARIN Ilnur 867
URAN URAN Rigoberto 687
MARTIN Tony 657
KWIATKOWSKI Michal 611
BENOOT Tiesj 588
DEGENKOLB John 550
LANDA MEANA Mikel 479
GESINK Robert 369
JANS Roy 347
NAVARDAUSKAS Ramunas 282
ROLLAND Pierre 281
VIVIANI Elia 275
KÖNIG Leopold 264
BOOM Lars 212
MAMYKIN Matvey 199
SHALUNOV Evgeny 117
GOUGEARD Alexis 107
CIMOLAI Davide 106
EL FARES Julien 81
INTXAUSTI ELORRIAGA Beñat 79
PONZI Simone 78
STENUIT Robin 76
TROFIMOV Yury 62
BOECKMANS Kris 60
ANDERSEN Asbjørn Kragh 28
ARREDONDO MORENO Julian David 17
DOULL Owain 7
VORGANOV Eduard 6
CARAPAZ MONTENEGRO Richard Antonio 5
MALORI Adriano 2
OLIVIER Daan 0
LANDER Sebastian 0
CORBEL Erwann 0
User avatar Crevaison
Newly Registered Member

Re: The 2017 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

04 Jan 2017 08:23

skidmark wrote:Okay, here's the full (barring any mistakes) spreadsheet. I haven't erased the tabs for old teams yet, and for some reason only 129 teams are listed on the rankings page, even though I counted 131 during entry process and copied 130 to the popularity page. Something must've gotten miscounted, so let me know if you're not there!

I have had trouble making the pivot table for rider popularity - I did it last year, figuring it out as I went, but am having trouble replicating it. If someone is interested in doing that and sharing that file back to me on this thread, that'd be great as I'm done for the evening. Cheers!

Awesome skidmark. I think you simply need to replace the formulas with numbers in the popularity tab to get it to work. At least I tried that and came up with this top 49 popular ranking:

DEGENKOLB John 115
VIVIANI Elia 103
MALORI Adriano 94
ARU Fabio 91
INTXAUSTI ELORRIAGA Beñat 84
LANDA MEANA Mikel 81
KÖNIG Leopold 80
POWER Robert 78
GOUGEARD Alexis 74
DOULL Owain 72
ARREDONDO MORENO Julian David 71
KWIATKOWSKI Michal 60
PELUCCHI Matteo 55
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando 52
BENOOT Tiesj 51
SPILAK Simon 49
MAMYKIN Matvey 48
VAN KEIRSBULCK Guillaume 47
BOOM Lars 46
BERNAL GOMEZ Egan Arley 46
KÜNG Stefan 45
BOECKMANS Kris 45
TROFIMOV Yury 44
DOMBROWSKI Joseph Lloyd 44
PONZI Simone 43
CARAPAZ MONTENEGRO Richard Antonio 40
KÄMNA Lennard 37
EWAN Caleb 36
VERVAEKE Louis 34
GANNA Filippo 34
DE PLUS Laurens 33
BRESCHEL Matti 26
TEUNS Dylan 25
ZARDINI Edoardo 24
BETANCUR GOMEZ Carlos Alberto 24
ALBANESE Vincenzo 24
GAUDU David 24
PHINNEY Taylor 23
NAVARDAUSKAS Ramunas 23
BONIFAZIO Niccolo 23
GESINK Robert 22
DEVOLDER Stijn 22
NORDHAUG Lars Petter 21
VALLS FERRI Rafael 21
MACHADO Tiago Jose Pinto 21
OLIVIER Daan 20
ROLLAND Pierre 20
KISERLOVSKI Robert 20
DILLIER Silvan 20
User avatar vladimir

04 Jan 2017 08:24

At a quick glance it looks like Degenkolb is most popular followed by Viviani as the only other 100 team rider, no unique picks for me, a couple of only 2 picks though Debusschere and Boaro, so hoping these do well.

edit : thanks to Vladamir, looks like I have nine of ten most popular riders
Last edited by del1962 on 04 Jan 2017 08:33, edited 2 times in total.
del1962
Veteran

04 Jan 2017 08:28

skidmark wrote:Okay, here's the full (barring any mistakes) spreadsheet. I haven't erased the tabs for old teams yet, and for some reason only 129 teams are listed on the rankings page, even though I counted 131 during entry process and copied 130 to the popularity page. Something must've gotten miscounted, so let me know if you're not there!

I have had trouble making the pivot table for rider popularity - I did it last year, figuring it out as I went, but am having trouble replicating it. If someone is interested in doing that and sharing that file back to me on this thread, that'd be great as I'm done for the evening. Cheers!
Thanks!

Looks like my only unique pick is Valverde. Someone else picked Beltran, too. Not a great pick, but I'd expected more fanboys to come through. Then it's Egoitz Garcia (3 picks) who I also expected to be a bit more popular. Only learned of him a couple days back on Biciciclismo.com, I think. Missed Cink, though.

Interesting that the most popular team, Vesica, still has more than a few unpopular picks. Is that a first?
18-Valve. (pithy)

Re:

04 Jan 2017 08:48

MADRAZO wrote:My team:

BONIFAZIO Niccolo 347 (clear nr. 1 sprinter for Bahrain, should mean he can improve a lot and also has the talent to do so)

I hadn't thought about that, damn. I switched him for Ewan because I had too many points left :o
Edit: what about Colbrelli, though?
Last edited by LaFlorecita on 04 Jan 2017 09:02, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

04 Jan 2017 08:57

Ah, the day when the CQ teams get revealed is always one of the most exciting days of the year. The most interesting thing about this year's edition for me is the amount of really good picks in the 500-800 range. Kwiatkowski, Aru, Moscon, Benoot, Gaviria, Ewan and of course Degenkolb and Landa all look like great picks. I even considered Simon Yates as well. I think the riders in this price range will be the deciding factor this year, so lets take a look at how popular each of these riders are.

Degenkolb: 115
Aru: 91
Landa: 81
Kwiatkowski: 60
Gaviria: 52
Benoot: 51
Ewan: 36
Moscon: 9

Degenkolb, Aru and Landa chosen this many times is hardly surprising. They all have the potential to at least double their points and I think the winner of this year's game will have all three in their team. Kwiatkowski, Gaviria and Benoot are all picked roughly the same amount of times so it will be interesting to see who picked the right combination of these. I find it surprising that relatively few have picked Kwiatkowski and very surprising that only 9 have picked Moscon. Kwiatkowski has been on a downward trend the last two seasons, but on form he's still one of the best and most exciting riders in the world. Last season Moscon showed that he is one of the brightest talents in the peloton, a rider who can seemingly do it all. He was one of the first riders I picked for my team and I expect a lot from his this year.

Another rider I was curious about was Nibali and I'm surprised to see that he has only been picked 6 times. I thought that he would appeal to alot of players and get picked at least 20 times. I guess with the quality of riders in the 500-800 range, he's a little less obvious but he's still a rider who could potentially double his score which is very rare for a 1200 points rider.

Here's my team. I won't go into detail on every single rider, but I'll post a few comments here and there. I think that I should say first that I don't think that my team in any way is optimal and perhaps not even very good. I decided that I wanted to pick some riders that I would like to follow this season even if it meant leaving out some obvious good picks. This means that I've left out riders like König, Ponzi and Trofimov to make room for less obvious, and probably less good, picks.

ZAKARIN Ilnur: 867

You know when you make an impulse purchase at checkout desk? Well, my most expensive rider was my impulse purchase. I honestly never even considered Zakarin before January 1st when I send in my team. It might have been the hangovers that made me pick him but I really like him and I do think that he can turn out to be a good pick. He showed last year that he's the rare kind of rider that can be competitive from March until the Giro ends which is a good recipe for scoring many points. This year his Giro-Vuelta schedule is much better than last year as well, so I have some hopes that he will turn out to be a good and pretty rare pick.

GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando: 833
ARU Fabio: 777
MOSCON Gianni: 622
KWIATKOWSKI Michal: 611
BENOOT Tiesj: 588
DEGENKOLB John: 550
LANDA MEANA Mikel: 479

The backbone of my team. I've already commented briefly on those, but the thing I like the most about my team is that I managed to include all of these riders in my team. I think the real value of the game lies here, so I'm pretty happy about that.

VIVIANI Elia: 275
INTXAUSTI ELORRIAGA Beñat: 79

Obvious picks whom I couldn't and wouldn't leave out of my team.

BEVIN Patrick: 203

I'm surprised that he has only been picked 5 times. He showed last year that he's a pretty good puncheur and prologue rider which is a great recipe for scoring points in this game. He also had much of his 2016 ruined by injuries so he should be able to do much better than last year. I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of the revelations of 2017, though I might be getting my hopes up too high.

MAMYKIN Matvey: 199

One of my favorite riders of 2016 and a big talent. I think he will have a great 2017.

ALBANESE Vincenzo: 159

In my opinion one of the most exciting neo-pros in 2017 and with the departure of Colbrelli he should get tons of opportunities to score points. Definitely one of the riders I expect the most of in my team.

BERNAL GOMEZ Egan Arley: 159
SOLER GIMENEZ Marc: 155
PETILLI Simone: 126
VERVAEKE: 109
MARTINEZ POVEDA Daniel Felipe: 87
POWER Robert: 77

A bunch of young climbing talents and this is probably where the logic starts disappearing and the heart starts taking over. No doubt these are big talents, but I'm not sure how good picks they all are. They can all improve for sure, but will they improve enough to be good picks?

GOUGEARD Alexis: 107

I'm actually a bit surprised that he's "only" picked 74 times. A big talent with a 500 point season in 2015 scoring only 100 points in 2016? Sign me up! He has the engine and the agressiveness to score a lot of points.

BOECKMANS Kris: 60
DIAZ Daniel Ricardo: 21
ARREDONDO MORENO Julian David: 17
MALORI Adriano: 2

Riders who because of various reasons had very bad 2016 seasons. I'm not sure what to expect from Arredondo and Diaz, but Boeckmans and Malori should be able to bounce back and produce a decent return.

CONSONNI Simone: 89
KÄMNA Lennard: 48
GANNA Filippo: 40
RODRIGUEZ MARTIN Cristian: 26
PETERS Nans: 20
DOULL Owain: 7
MAISON Jérémy: 5
CARAPAZ MONTENEGRO Richard Antonio: 5

"The rest". Young riders with potential. Some I know some about and some I know almost nothing about. The wildcards of my team that I look forward to follow in the next year and hopefully get some positive surprises from.

I had a few riders who I would have liked to make room for, most notably Küng who I think will have a breakout season, Bonifazio who looks like a great pick, Teunissen, Teuns and Minali who I never thought about.

Best of luck to everyone!
Last edited by Hugo Koblet on 04 Jan 2017 09:11, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Veteran

04 Jan 2017 08:59

I missed some obvious riders but still I think my team is way better than last year:

ARU Fabio
KWIATKOWSKI Michal
DEGENKOLB John
LANDA MEANA Mikel
POZZOVIVO Domenico
THEUNS Edward
CARAPAZ MONTENEGRO Richard Antonio
SPILAK Simon
FELLINE Fabio
ROLLAND Pierre
VIVIANI Elia
KÖNIG LEOPOLD
KÜNG Stefan
GESCHKE Simon
ZOIDL Riccardo
DOMBROWSKI Joseph Lloyd
NORDHAUG Lars Petter
MÜHLBERGER Gregor
IMPEY Daryl
BETANCUR GOMEZ Carlos Alberto
CIMOLAI Davide
DENIFL Stefan
SINKELDAM Ramon
TROFIMOV Yury
RUBIANO CHAVEZ Miguel Angel
BOOM Lars
KISERLOVSKI Robert
BARTA Jan
ARREDONDO MORENO Julian David
DEIGNAN Philip
DOULL Owain
MALORI Adriano
DE PLUS Laurens
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

04 Jan 2017 09:01

As far as I can tell, this is the top 10 most popular riders:

1. Degenkolb: 115
2. Viviani: 103
3. Malori: 94
4. Aru: 91
5. Intxausti: 84
6. Landa: 81
7. König: 80
8. Power: 78
9. Gougeard: 74
10. Doull: 72
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Veteran

04 Jan 2017 09:15

1000 pointers picked

FROOME Chris
QUINTANA ROJAS Nairo Alexander
VALVERDE BELMONTE Alejandro
KRISTOFF Alexander
CONTADOR VELASCO Alberto 2
BOASSON HAGEN Edvald
CHAVES RUBIO Jhoan Esteban 3
IZAGIRRE INSAUSTI Ion
DUMOULIN Tom
MATTHEWS Michael
NIBALI Vincenzo 6
KITTEL Marcel 2
BOUHANNI Nacer
GROENEWEGEN Dylan 2
ALAPHILIPPE Julian 12
PORTE Richie 5
PINOT Thibaut 4
GREIPEL André

Once if not numbered
del1962
Veteran

04 Jan 2017 09:33

Rarest riders:

BIERMANS Jenthe (4x) 33
Convinced me during his traineeship with Wanty last year, that he can be a factor in some 1.1 classics. Low cost, and with a few top 10s on home soil can turn profit very quickly.

LATOUR Pierre (6x) 645
2016 was a year of ups and downs for him, but at the end of La Vuelta he showed me his true face. With remarkable recovery and panache, on top of an excellent engine, he has all it takes to become a top GC rider. Similar to Bardet 3 years back, he has a high score and seems to have plenty of competition within his own team. However, with Pozzovivo getting older and Péraud retiring, a score above 1000 is not out of the question.

ENGER Sondre Holst (6x) 464
Found his way around the Worldtour last season, despite not racing much. At AG2R he has plenty of leadership opportunities, with the exception of some Coupe de France races, where Sammy Dumoulin undoubtedly wants to score. Being a compact sprinter, he can compete with the best on various terrains. If he is on form for a whole season, 900+ points are possible.

LUDVIGSSON Tobias (8x) 115
This powerhouse used to be a major allround talent, but a horrific crash in the 2014 Giro proved to have long-lasting consequences. His 3rd on the Vuelta TT last year showed he still has the engine that won him the Bessèges Star once. A new environment among the French might also prove beneficial.(Löfkvist comes to mind) I'm guessing he could at least do 300 points this year.

VLIEGEN Loïc (10x) 241
A year ago this young puncheur was still uncertain after undergoing heart surgery, and yet he made the top ten in the Amstel several months later. He is truely the next hope of Walloon cycling, as Gilbert hits the twilight of his career. With Ben Hermans taking a different approach next year, there are chances at leadership in the smaller hilly races. If he can also get good placings in the Ardennes again his 2017 could be worth well over 500 points.
User avatar Pentacycle

04 Jan 2017 09:46

These are the riders that I picked that have been picked by fewer than 10 competitors.

COSTA Adrien 274 9
FERNANDEZ ANDUJAR Ruben 398 8
GUERREIRO Ruben Antonio Almeida 58 7
URAN URAN Rigoberto 687 6
BOSWELL Ian 61 6
BUCHMANN Emanuel 306 5
HENAO GOMEZ Sebastian 243 4
CONTRERAS PINZON Rodrigo 5 4
SENECHAL Florian 276 3

I am going to hang some onions here, and insist that Uran, Senechal and Fernandez were good picks. I expect all three to have big seasons.

The riders I regret most of the above are Adrien Costa (he is possibly too expensive) and Guerreiro (my team has too many of such riders), and Boswell (I took him over Ponzi).

Contreras, Seb Henao and Buchmann were heart picks rather than head picks, but I would probably put them in again if given the chance.

I regret omitting Malori, Intxausti and Mamykin the most. They were riders that slipped through the net. Others are riders I considered but decided against for good or bad reasons. Ponzi was very close to getting in. That is irritating.
barmaher

Re:

04 Jan 2017 09:51

Hugo Koblet wrote:Another rider I was curious about was Nibali and I'm surprised to see that he has only been picked 6 times. I thought that he would appeal to alot of players and get picked at least 20 times. I guess with the quality of riders in the 500-800 range, he's a little less obvious but he's still a rider who could potentially double his score which is very rare for a 1200 points rider.
The few teams who have Nibali could have struck solid gold, especially if he skips the Tour. But more so if he's back to his "full retard" best, as he probably won't podium the Giro with the form he had last year.
18-Valve. (pithy)

04 Jan 2017 10:28

Fisrtly, thanks as always to skidmark for all his work with the game. Yes, this is an exciting day, but it's also an annoying day when:

1. You discover riders you missed
2. You read other people's thoughts on riders you considered then discarded :mad:

I agree with Hugo that the 500-800 (ish) range could be most significant this year. I ended up having to pick 3 and discard 3 from:

ZAKARIN
ARU
YATES S
YATES A
BARGUIL
KWIATKOWSKI

.... time will tell! :razz:

On reviewing my team I fiind I have sub-consciously headed towards a bunch of next-generation Spring Classics riders, hoping they will step up in the post-Cancellara/Boonen era:

THEUNS
ROWE
VAN ASBROECK

Heart probably ruling head a lot there though, and not for the first time! :rolleyes: Still, surprised that VAN ASBROECK is such a rare pick after scoring 1000 points a couple of years ago.

Best of luck to all....
LondonPat

Re: Re:

04 Jan 2017 10:29

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:
Hugo Koblet wrote:Another rider I was curious about was Nibali and I'm surprised to see that he has only been picked 6 times. I thought that he would appeal to alot of players and get picked at least 20 times. I guess with the quality of riders in the 500-800 range, he's a little less obvious but he's still a rider who could potentially double his score which is very rare for a 1200 points rider.
The few teams who have Nibali could have struck solid gold, especially if he skips the Tour. But more so if he's back to his "full retard" best, as he probably won't podium the Giro with the form he had last year.

skidmark is one of the players that have Nibali. Looking at his team, he could have swapped Nibali and Bauhaus or Sepulveda for, say, Gaviria and Moscon or Gaviria and Benoot (or another rider in that price range). Or he could have swapped Nibali and Grosu for Gaviria and Ewan. Or he could have swapped Nibali for Benoot and Moscon and have 39 points left over to upgrade another rider. Lots of different options. I'm not saying it definitely would have been better to do so, but personally that's what I would have done. It will be interesting to see which approach turns out to be the better one though.
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Veteran

Re:

04 Jan 2017 10:52

Kazistuta wrote:Zero-pointers (not picked):

Daan Olivier: A big talent at U23 level, but I would like to see if he’s back mentally before picking him. His omission and the inclusion of Malori/Arredondo is one of my biggest brain battles this year. Decided to pick based on latest merits, since all have big question marks. Also Oliver will first be able to race in April.

Oh, I missed that he won't race before April, I would have taken McNulty instead as I don't have anybody for the American races anyway. But then I won't win the game with either one. ;)

As expected, no unique pick for me. Seems like there's a wide variety of riders chosen this year. Let the races begin.
User avatar rote_laterne

04 Jan 2017 10:54

The ones that were in various drafts but didn't quite make the final cut for me. History suggests I'm going to regret quite a lot of these.

BOUHANNI Nacer
URAN URAN Rigoberto
MARTIN Tony
KRUIJSWIJK Steven
MEINTJES Louis
MARCATO Marco
GESINK Robert
OLIVEIRA Nelson Filipe Santos Simoes
SPILAK Simon
WESTRA Lieuwe
ROSON GARCIA Jaime
VAN DEN BROECK Jurgen
PETILLI Simone
LUDVIGSSON Tobias
INTXAUSTI ELORRIAGA Beñat
POWER Robert
BOECKMANS Kris
User avatar Eyeballs Out

04 Jan 2017 11:04

Interestingly (to me) Lammertink wasn't picked by anyone. I don't think he'll necessarily explode onto the scene, but there's at least a passing chance. Of the rare picks that could clean up and haven't been mentioned yet, I guess Gerrans (4 picks) could surprise. I think he still has it.
18-Valve. (pithy)

04 Jan 2017 11:09

Wow looking at popularity I think I might have one of the less popular teams
Really missed the boat on Degenkolb (looked at him briefly but was over rushed and skipped). In hndsight I really should have switched him with Meintjes but I had him last year so maybe a bit of sunk cost fallacy going on,

All up I have 9 unique riders so at least I have plenty of riders to cheer on during the season
ATAPUMA HURTADO Jhon Darwin
(Maybe the most foolish pick of all but seemed to be riding well and with a new team hopefully will get a good chance to ride for himself)
WANG Meiyin
Good talent, who knows what he will do in world tour level
LANGEVELD Sebastian
A bit of heart in this one but not super expensive so why not

ARASHIRO Yukiya
Another spot filled quickly based on points available

MEYER Cameron
Another heart pick but I feel his talent is much greater than he showed last yer

CLARKE William
Back at world tour and rides well at TDU. Has potential to earn back value in Jan

CHEUNG King Lok
Greenedge are generally good at getting value from new signing

BEWLEY Sam
SZMYD Sylwester
Low cost riders I chucked in because I had to get to bed

Plus another 10 riders with less than 10 people choosing them. Going to be a fun season
User avatar Tigerion

04 Jan 2017 11:34

Well I actually thought I had very common picks this year. With two unique picks and six others on ten teams or less I must say I was wrong...

LOBATO DEL VALLE Juan Jose 1 - I think the move to LottoNL will be good for him. I really expected him to be quite popular, so a key rider for me this year
OSS Daniel 1 - A bit of a fanboy pick as I really like him. His potential has always been better than his results, so I hope 2017 finally will be Daniel's year.
BONNAMOUR Franck 2 - Young talented Frenchman. Should do well in smaller races and is very cheap
POLJANSKI Pawel 3 - I actually thought I had dropped him. Good climber on his day, but will probably get few chances for himself.
POLANC Jan 4 - Very promising climber. Not a good season last year; still quite young and should get plenty of chances this season
CICCONE Giulio 6!!! - Great talent. Obvious pick for me, and I'm very surprised that only 5 others included him
HEPBURN Michael 7 - Don't know much about him but read he will focus 100 % on the road this year, and quite cheap
BOUDAT Thomas 10 - Late addition to my team. Don't know if he will skip track racing this year, but should anyway get lots of good results on the flatter French races.
User avatar vladimir

Re:

04 Jan 2017 11:39

Tigerion wrote:MEYER Cameron
Another heart pick but I feel his talent is much greater than he showed last yer

Hate to be the one to tell you this - but he's retired :(
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Games and Fantasy Cycling