Log in:  

Register

I don't get the Gerrans hate

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: I don't get the Gerrans hate

20 Mar 2017 18:40

yaco wrote:
Angliru wrote:
yaco wrote:
Jagartrott wrote:
movingtarget wrote:I don't think that is what they are arguing. They are saying that other riders do the same as Gerrans without the same level of hostile criticism.

Please name a few. Can't think of many myself. In fact, I can't think of any winner of big races that did so like Gerrans in recent years.


Seriously - Gerrans attacked with Nibali on the Poggio in his MSR win in 2012, and then Cancellara bridged up to the pair - So Gerrans was one of three riders out of 200 to attack, but yet still a wheel-sucker - It looks bad for the other 197 riders - LBL in 2014 - Gerrans was dropped on the last climb, and it was only inspiring riding from Weening, who got Gerrans back to the reduced peleton - You can hardly wheel suck if you can't get up the climb.

Facts hurt.


I really wouldn't give Gerran's any more credit in that instance other than being attentive and having the ability to jump on Nibali's wheel. I don't recall him spending anytime in the wind other than when he chased to get with Vincenzo. Nibali was on the front until Fabian joined them. Gerrans only time in the wind was chasing Nibali,
the very brief moment when an effort was made to make Gerrans pull through which lasted a second or two and his jump to finish and victory. That is my recollection and it could be inaccurate. :Neutral:


I repeat facts hurt a narrative - Gerrans won by attacking on the Poggio or being able to follow Nibali's attack - It was lucky that Cancellara bridged over and put his diesel engine to work - It was won in the same way by Kwiatkovski - Three man breakaway on the Poggio with Sagan playing the Cancellara role.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,933
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re: I don't get the Gerrans hate

20 Mar 2017 18:43

GuyIncognito wrote:
movingtarget wrote:When he won Liege it wasn't as if he was the only one not working and the killer blow was grabbing Valverde's wheel in the sprint. That's just smart riding.


It wasn't smart riding. Smart riding would be collaborating with Valverde to pull back Martin and then make the right call in positioning for the sprint for the win.

What he did was refuse to pull and thus guarantee he was racing for 2nd. He was unbelievably lucky when the almost impossible combination happened: Valverde buried himself to bring back Martin/Caruso, having nothing left for the sprint while Martin crashed all by himself. The killer blow was literally dumb luck.

It was as smart as the person who spends their last dollar on a lottery ticket and wins grand prize: making a dumb decision and getting very very very lucky.


My previous post described what happened in the last 10 or so km's - Gerrans was flat out getting back to the reduced peloton after being dropped on the last climb - Gerrans had 2 pieces of luck - Weening's strength in bringing Gerrans back up the peleton and Martin crashing on the last corner - Again that narrative !
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,933
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re: I don't get the Gerrans hate

20 Mar 2017 19:04

yaco wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:
movingtarget wrote:When he won Liege it wasn't as if he was the only one not working and the killer blow was grabbing Valverde's wheel in the sprint. That's just smart riding.


It wasn't smart riding. Smart riding would be collaborating with Valverde to pull back Martin and then make the right call in positioning for the sprint for the win.

What he did was refuse to pull and thus guarantee he was racing for 2nd. He was unbelievably lucky when the almost impossible combination happened: Valverde buried himself to bring back Martin/Caruso, having nothing left for the sprint while Martin crashed all by himself. The killer blow was literally dumb luck.

It was as smart as the person who spends their last dollar on a lottery ticket and wins grand prize: making a dumb decision and getting very very very lucky.


My previous post described what happened in the last 10 or so km's - Gerrans was flat out getting back to the reduced peloton after being dropped on the last climb - Gerrans had 2 pieces of luck - Weening's strength in bringing Gerrans back up the peleton and Martin crashing on the last corner - Again that narrative !


You called it a "killer blow" and "smart riding" when it was a blatant example of bad decisions
User avatar GuyIncognito
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,438
Joined: 27 Jun 2013 21:19

Re: I don't get the Gerrans hate

20 Mar 2017 20:53

GuyIncognito wrote:
yaco wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:
movingtarget wrote:When he won Liege it wasn't as if he was the only one not working and the killer blow was grabbing Valverde's wheel in the sprint. That's just smart riding.


It wasn't smart riding. Smart riding would be collaborating with Valverde to pull back Martin and then make the right call in positioning for the sprint for the win.

What he did was refuse to pull and thus guarantee he was racing for 2nd. He was unbelievably lucky when the almost impossible combination happened: Valverde buried himself to bring back Martin/Caruso, having nothing left for the sprint while Martin crashed all by himself. The killer blow was literally dumb luck.

It was as smart as the person who spends their last dollar on a lottery ticket and wins grand prize: making a dumb decision and getting very very very lucky.


My previous post described what happened in the last 10 or so km's - Gerrans was flat out getting back to the reduced peloton after being dropped on the last climb - Gerrans had 2 pieces of luck - Weening's strength in bringing Gerrans back up the peleton and Martin crashing on the last corner - Again that narrative !


You called it a "killer blow" and "smart riding" when it was a blatant example of bad decisions


Of course it was a smart riding, it was the only way he can win that race. He was lucky, of course, but for a rider like him to win a race like Liege, he needs luck, a lots of it! He was lucky in the first place because of the way the race was ridden, he was lucky to have strong Weening by his side, and finally he was lucky because Martin fell in the last corner, but I actually think he would've won anyway. Had he collaborated with Valverde, he would end up "dead"! Valverde recovers much faster from that kind of efforts than Gerrrans, he would've buried him in the sprint, maybe Kwiatkowski also. The trick is, when a rider wants to win, and he's not the strongest, to force the strongest (Valverde in Liege, Sagan in MSR) to work, to wear himself out. Valverde waited for Gilbert to move, to close Caruso and Martin, but Phil didn't had enough strength, so Bala had no choice but to strike himself. So everything fell in the right place for Gerrans, he had a lot of luck, but I think he played it the only way he could in order to win. There was not one single bad decision from Gerrans in that race!
User avatar Mr.White
Member
 
Posts: 1,934
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 17:13

Re: I don't get the Gerrans hate

20 Mar 2017 21:07

Mr.White wrote:I actually think he would've won anyway


Do you not remember what the gap was? There were 100m to go.
I give up. If we're believing in factual impossibilities, I'm done discussing.

Guess I'll just start believing Tony Martin could've won the Tour last year if he hadn't DNFed the final stage. I think he could've pulled back 3.5 hours on that stage and all logic be damned

Jesus christ, some of the people on here...
User avatar GuyIncognito
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,438
Joined: 27 Jun 2013 21:19

Re: Re:

20 Mar 2017 21:24

hrotha wrote:
jaylew wrote:
42x16ss wrote:
hrotha wrote:Matthews is widely held (and mocked) as Gerrans's successor, so I don't know where you're coming from. If fewer people hate him, that's because frankly he's not that important as a classics rider. Gerrans in his prime (at like 34 lol) was a much bigger threat.

Fewer people dislike Matthews because:

-He is capable of riding for himself on occasion, even though waiting for the sprint is the safer option - see Amstel
-Matthews was a huge talent as an U23, Gerrans needed 2 goes at Europe before making it with AG2R
-Matthews can TT quite well, and can climb very well for a sprinter
-Matthews isn't a jerk (although 8-9 years ago Gerrans wasn't either)

Yeah, I don't think it's fair to saddle Bling with the Gerrans tag at this point but you know how people are.

At least let him earn it!

Unlike his mentor, Matthews dictated a whole PhD dissertation on the topic of Gerransing, so bonus points there.

When I read **** like that I wonder why you would rely on the others instead of just smashing it up Cauberg and winning. Super easy race, hadn't touched the pedals yet, wasn't even breathing etc. Do these guys expect the racing to come to them?
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Moderator
 
Posts: 7,264
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re: I don't get the Gerrans hate

20 Mar 2017 21:49

GuyIncognito wrote:
Mr.White wrote:I actually think he would've won anyway


Do you not remember what the gap was? There were 100m to go.
I give up. If we're believing in factual impossibilities, I'm done discussing.

Guess I'll just start believing Tony Martin could've won the Tour last year if he hadn't DNFed the final stage. I think he could've pulled back 3.5 hours on that stage and all logic be damned

Jesus christ, some of the people on here...


Yeah I remember, the gap was 10m, and there were 200m to go when Martin fell. Caruso was in front of him, yet Gerrans, Bala and Kwiat passed him quite comfortably! That's what I saw.

Now, I'm curious what you saw? Would you tell me what was the gap? 100m maybe? 200? Maybe they were still on St.Nicolas?! I don't know, maybe I didn't watched the right race! Enlighten me please!

And what the f..k Tony Martin has to do with all this?!!! Great analogy! And you're complaining about people on here.. :surprised: :confused: !
User avatar Mr.White
Member
 
Posts: 1,934
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 17:13

Re: Re:

20 Mar 2017 22:15

Valv.Piti wrote:
hrotha wrote:
jaylew wrote:
42x16ss wrote:
hrotha wrote:Matthews is widely held (and mocked) as Gerrans's successor, so I don't know where you're coming from. If fewer people hate him, that's because frankly he's not that important as a classics rider. Gerrans in his prime (at like 34 lol) was a much bigger threat.

Fewer people dislike Matthews because:

-He is capable of riding for himself on occasion, even though waiting for the sprint is the safer option - see Amstel
-Matthews was a huge talent as an U23, Gerrans needed 2 goes at Europe before making it with AG2R
-Matthews can TT quite well, and can climb very well for a sprinter
-Matthews isn't a jerk (although 8-9 years ago Gerrans wasn't either)

Yeah, I don't think it's fair to saddle Bling with the Gerrans tag at this point but you know how people are.

At least let him earn it!

Unlike his mentor, Matthews dictated a whole PhD dissertation on the topic of Gerransing, so bonus points there.

When I read **** like that I wonder why you would rely on the others instead of just smashing it up Cauberg and winning. Super easy race, hadn't touched the pedals yet, wasn't even breathing etc. Do these guys expect the racing to come to them?

The thing is, if you've had an easy day out, chances are someone else has too. At least Matthews admits that he should have tried something, these days Gerrans simply regrets that nobody chased.

Don't forget that the year before Matthews was caught out going too early.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,387
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Re: I don't get the Gerrans hate

20 Mar 2017 22:41

Mr.White wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:
Mr.White wrote:I actually think he would've won anyway


Do you not remember what the gap was? There were 100m to go.
I give up. If we're believing in factual impossibilities, I'm done discussing.

Guess I'll just start believing Tony Martin could've won the Tour last year if he hadn't DNFed the final stage. I think he could've pulled back 3.5 hours on that stage and all logic be damned

Jesus christ, some of the people on here...


Yeah I remember, the gap was 10m, and there were 200m to go when Martin fell. Caruso was in front of him, yet Gerrans, Bala and Kwiat passed him quite comfortably! That's what I saw.

Now, I'm curious what you saw? Would you tell me what was the gap? 100m maybe? 200? Maybe they were still on St.Nicolas?! I don't know, maybe I didn't watched the right race! Enlighten me please!

And what the f..k Tony Martin has to do with all this?!!! Great analogy! And you're complaining about people on here.. :surprised: :confused: !


They passed Caruso who is a weaker finisher than Martin and on the attack since Saint Nicolas in the last 75 meters.

Edit: Martin was roughly 2 seconds ahead of Valverde when he fell
User avatar roundabout
Veteran
 
Posts: 12,876
Joined: 07 Jun 2010 11:43

Re: I don't get the Gerrans hate

20 Mar 2017 22:55

roundabout wrote:
Mr.White wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:
Mr.White wrote:I actually think he would've won anyway


Do you not remember what the gap was? There were 100m to go.
I give up. If we're believing in factual impossibilities, I'm done discussing.

Guess I'll just start believing Tony Martin could've won the Tour last year if he hadn't DNFed the final stage. I think he could've pulled back 3.5 hours on that stage and all logic be damned

Jesus christ, some of the people on here...


Yeah I remember, the gap was 10m, and there were 200m to go when Martin fell. Caruso was in front of him, yet Gerrans, Bala and Kwiat passed him quite comfortably! That's what I saw.

Now, I'm curious what you saw? Would you tell me what was the gap? 100m maybe? 200? Maybe they were still on St.Nicolas?! I don't know, maybe I didn't watched the right race! Enlighten me please!

And what the f..k Tony Martin has to do with all this?!!! Great analogy! And you're complaining about people on here.. :surprised: :confused: !


They passed Caruso who is a weaker finisher than Martin and on the attack since Saint Nicolas in the last 75 meters.

Edit: Martin was roughly 2 seconds ahead of Valverde when he fell


It could went both ways, I said that my opinion is that Gerrans would've won, it's not a given though... Then came some very stupid Tony Martin analogy
User avatar Mr.White
Member
 
Posts: 1,934
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 17:13

Re: I don't get the Gerrans hate

20 Mar 2017 23:24

GuyIncognito wrote:
movingtarget wrote:When he won Liege it wasn't as if he was the only one not working and the killer blow was grabbing Valverde's wheel in the sprint. That's just smart riding.


It wasn't smart riding. Smart riding would be collaborating with Valverde to pull back Martin and then make the right call in positioning for the sprint for the win.

What he did was refuse to pull and thus guarantee he was racing for 2nd. He was unbelievably lucky when the almost impossible combination happened: Valverde buried himself to bring back Martin/Caruso, having nothing left for the sprint while Martin crashed all by himself. The killer blow was literally dumb luck.

It was as smart as the person who spends their last dollar on a lottery ticket and wins grand prize: making a dumb decision and getting very very very lucky.


Dumb luck unless you are talking about a rider you like i suppose. All riders make calculations at the finish when they are chasing someone and how much work they should do or if they should contribute at all. Gerrans wins at MSR and Liege were a success because he won. That is all his team worries about and most of the riders don't care either except whiners like Cancellara. If luck plays a role in a classic it plays an even bigger role in a GT avoiding crashes for three weeks. if Gerrans had worked and lost the sprint to placate some fans how would his team have reacted ? If cycling was a popularity contest then Gerrans would fail but he's paid to win bike races, how he wins doesn't matter to him or his team. And what you describe as an impossible sequence of events is often more common than not. There are always crashes and always someone working harder than the others, there is nothing unique about that. But just because Gerrans was the winner it's seen as something unbelievable.

Why was Raymond Poulidor adored by the French public ? Because he was the eternal loser. He was humble and quiet and not brash like Anquetil. He never gave up and never won a Tour while Anquetil won five. But in Anquetil's opinion Poulidor would have been a winner if he had not been so tactically inept. I have never heard anyone including riders accuse Gerrans of being a poor tactician, if anything I have heard him praised for knowing how to read a race and reacting at the right time. Don't ask Cancellara what he thinks. If some fans want to see him as a talentless wheelsucker or that he should ride with more bravado so be it.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,820
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re: I don't get the Gerrans hate

20 Mar 2017 23:56

movingtarget wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:
movingtarget wrote:When he won Liege it wasn't as if he was the only one not working and the killer blow was grabbing Valverde's wheel in the sprint. That's just smart riding.


It wasn't smart riding. Smart riding would be collaborating with Valverde to pull back Martin and then make the right call in positioning for the sprint for the win.

What he did was refuse to pull and thus guarantee he was racing for 2nd. He was unbelievably lucky when the almost impossible combination happened: Valverde buried himself to bring back Martin/Caruso, having nothing left for the sprint while Martin crashed all by himself. The killer blow was literally dumb luck.

It was as smart as the person who spends their last dollar on a lottery ticket and wins grand prize: making a dumb decision and getting very very very lucky.


Dumb luck unless you are talking about a rider you like i suppose.


Aka "I have no arguments so I will accuse you of hypothetical bias with nothing to back it up"

For the record, puncheurs with a bit of a sprint are my favorite riders. Francesco Gavazzi, Michael Albasini, etc.
But you felt an emotional need to defend Gerrans so with no arguments you resorted to ad hominem.

movingtarget wrote:ll riders make calculations at the finish when they are chasing someone and how much work they should do or if they should contribute at all. Gerrans wins at MSR and Liege were a success because he won. That is all his team worries about and most of the riders don't care either except whiners like Cancellara. If luck plays a role in a classic it plays an even bigger role in a GT avoiding crashes for three weeks. if Gerrans had worked and lost the sprint to placate some fans how would his team have reacted ? If cycling was a popularity contest then Gerrans would fail but he's paid to win bike races, how he wins doesn't matter to him or his team. And what you describe as an impossible sequence of events is often more common than not. There are always crashes and always someone working harder than the others, there is nothing unique about that. But just because Gerrans was the winner it's seen as something unbelievable.

Why was Raymond Poulidor adored by the French public ? Because he was the eternal loser. He was humble and quiet and not brash like Anquetil. He never gave up and never won a Tour while Anquetil won five. But in Anquetil's opinion Poulidor would have been a winner if he had not been so tactically inept. I have never heard anyone including riders accuse Gerrans of being a poor tactician, if anything I have heard him praised for knowing how to read a race and reacting at the right time. Don't ask Cancellara what he thinks. If some fans want to see him as a talentless wheelsucker or that he should ride with more bravado so be it.


I assume this is aimed at someone else other than me, because that's got nothing to do with what I said.
You're going on about being liked or not which - again - has nothing to do with my point. And then you bring Cancellara being a whining diva into it which, while being an indisputable fact, once again has zero to do with the topic at hand.

To reiterate, my point was:

You said he was smart and dealt "a killer blow". I pointed out he made a bad decision that guaranteed he would lose the race if not for a literal once-in-the-sport's-entire-history stroke of sheer dumb luck.

If I jump in front of a bus and rely on the bus being hit by a meteor to not die, then the meteor actually hits the bus and I live.....I'm not smart. I'm an idiot who got lucky.
User avatar GuyIncognito
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,438
Joined: 27 Jun 2013 21:19

21 Mar 2017 00:22

You should really stop using ridiculous analogies. They do your argument no favours.
User avatar Geraint Too Fast
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,095
Joined: 05 Jul 2011 21:51

Re: I don't get the Gerrans hate

21 Mar 2017 03:30

GuyIncognito wrote:
Mr.White wrote:I actually think he would've won anyway


Do you not remember what the gap was? There were 100m to go.
I give up. If we're believing in factual impossibilities, I'm done discussing.

Guess I'll just start believing Tony Martin could've won the Tour last year if he hadn't DNFed the final stage. I think he could've pulled back 3.5 hours on that stage and all logic be damned

Jesus christ, some of the people on here...

Honestly, at the time I thought Martin would be caught even before the crash and I've since seen it about 20 times and still think there's a better than even chance of that. One of those things we'll never know.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,441
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 05:46
Location: ATX

21 Mar 2017 04:08

6 pages, I'm yet to understand the hate.

I can definitely understand the dispassion. i.e. why few are invested as fanboys. That makes a lot of sense: he's a fairly understated personality, you don't see much of him, he ain't doing hero things on the bike, he ain't got once in a generation physiology, he rides defensively.

How that turns to outright hate - over and above so many other non-descript riders in the bunch.....

Well it seems to me to rest on three things. Either its the corollary of a pre-existing love that he defeated in one of his victorious sprints. Very Freudian in that sense. Cancellera comes to mind here in 2012. Someone's making an argument about Dan Martin.....who frankly, was not winning that LBL even if stayed upright.

The 2nd possibility is a kind of anti-anglo thing which seems to go down a bit in these parts. If he had a cool Italian name + personality, it would be toleration or indifference.

The third is that actually it's all just built up via a kind of bikie forum group think.
User avatar The Hegelian
Member
 
Posts: 570
Joined: 06 Jul 2014 09:18

21 Mar 2017 05:17

I personally dislike him because there is zero panache, but opinions differ.
The poster formerly known as yespatterns.
User avatar GraftPunk
Member
 
Posts: 483
Joined: 21 Feb 2017 21:15
Location: High Desert Steppe

Re: Re:

21 Mar 2017 06:55

hrotha wrote:
jaylew wrote:
42x16ss wrote:
hrotha wrote:Matthews is widely held (and mocked) as Gerrans's successor, so I don't know where you're coming from. If fewer people hate him, that's because frankly he's not that important as a classics rider. Gerrans in his prime (at like 34 lol) was a much bigger threat.

Fewer people dislike Matthews because:

-He is capable of riding for himself on occasion, even though waiting for the sprint is the safer option - see Amstel
-Matthews was a huge talent as an U23, Gerrans needed 2 goes at Europe before making it with AG2R
-Matthews can TT quite well, and can climb very well for a sprinter
-Matthews isn't a jerk (although 8-9 years ago Gerrans wasn't either)

Yeah, I don't think it's fair to saddle Bling with the Gerrans tag at this point but you know how people are.

At least let him earn it!

Unlike his mentor, Matthews dictated a whole PhD dissertation on the topic of Gerransing, so bonus points there.

Well, that kinda confirms my thinking. He's not Gerrans. Regrets not attacking and was attempting to ride to team orders. Re-watch the finale. Who takes the wind and pulls the group back to Valgren and the small group ahead? Matthews. Where is Gerrans? Sitting in the group when it was supposed to be the other way around which would make sense as Bling is the faster bunch sprinter.

In fact, re-watch 2015 as well. Who's the only person that tries to go with Gilbert on the Cauberg instead of waiting in the group? Matthews, basically turning himself inside out a couple of times to get the wheel back. And once they crest he goes on the front and pulls. If he had pulled a Gerrans that year he'd likely have won but he killed his sprint beforehand. You wouldn't call him an attacking rider - he's certainly no Wellens, Kwia, or Gilbert, but he's not late-era Gerrans either even if you'd like him to be. At least not at this point.
The Hegelian wrote:6 pages, I'm yet to understand the hate.

I can definitely understand the dispassion. i.e. why few are invested as fanboys. That makes a lot of sense: he's a fairly understated personality, you don't see much of him, he ain't doing hero things on the bike, he ain't got once in a generation physiology, he rides defensively.

How that turns to outright hate - over and above so many other non-descript riders in the bunch.....

Well it seems to me to rest on three things. Either its the corollary of a pre-existing love that he defeated in one of his victorious sprints. Very Freudian in that sense. Cancellera comes to mind here in 2012. Someone's making an argument about Dan Martin.....who frankly, was not winning that LBL even if stayed upright.

The 2nd possibility is a kind of anti-anglo thing which seems to go down a bit in these parts. If he had a cool Italian name + personality, it would be toleration or indifference.

The third is that actually it's all just built up via a kind of bikie forum group think.


Good points. The anti-anglo thing does exist even if we don't like to talk about it much. You can kind of understand where it comes from, though. Over the years we've lost a bunch of teams from traditional cycling nations like France, Spain, and Italy and gained more Anglo-centric teams with big budgets. It also doesn't help that often the riders from the newer teams tend to race more controlled and less on feel and with less 'panache' than the riders from the traditional nations so they also get connected to less exciting racing.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,441
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 05:46
Location: ATX

Re:

21 Mar 2017 06:56

The Hegelian wrote:6 pages, I'm yet to understand the hate.

I can definitely understand the dispassion. i.e. why few are invested as fanboys. That makes a lot of sense: he's a fairly understated personality, you don't see much of him, he ain't doing hero things on the bike, he ain't got once in a generation physiology, he rides defensively.

How that turns to outright hate - over and above so many other non-descript riders in the bunch.....

Well it seems to me to rest on three things. Either its the corollary of a pre-existing love that he defeated in one of his victorious sprints. Very Freudian in that sense. Cancellera comes to mind here in 2012. Someone's making an argument about Dan Martin.....who frankly, was not winning that LBL even if stayed upright.

The 2nd possibility is a kind of anti-anglo thing which seems to go down a bit in these parts. If he had a cool Italian name + personality, it would be toleration or indifference.

The third is that actually it's all just built up via a kind of bikie forum group think.


This!
Sure, his riding style might be a bit underwhelming, but that's no reason to hate someone. The world is full of terrible people, hating someone because you don't like their riding style just seems pointless to me.
Okay, so the races he win tends to have been a bit boring - now the question is of course, were they boring because he won them, or did he win them because they were boring? - but he doesn't actually hurt anybody. Let me take a look at those three examples people love bringing up around here (and let me be honest, I seem to have forgotten a lot of what happened, maybe I just don't see any point in remembering year-old dull races...)

MSR: Nobody got hurt from Gerrans' actions. He didn't push Cancellara and Nibali off their bikes on his way to victory. If he'd done that then I'd understand if people were still pissy about all these years after.

LBL: Again, he didn't cause Dan Martin to crash.

Worlds: Guess the only person he "hurt" here - in the sense of missing the win, which isn't really hurt at all - was himself. So... karma? He didn't pull, even though it would've been the smartest and, surprise surprise, he didn't win.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,968
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

21 Mar 2017 07:20

fans suffered from gerrans' actions and his racing style, it's already more than enough to feel fiery dispassion. fans are rarely lenient to somebody/something that really got hurt them. :)
Last edited by dacooley on 21 Mar 2017 07:30, edited 1 time in total.
dacooley
Member
 
Posts: 1,371
Joined: 30 May 2015 15:37

21 Mar 2017 07:29

Bit sad if you're letting a few boring races overshadow all those other great races to the point where you're still whining about it five years later. :rolleyes:
If it's so horrible, just turn off your television/whatever you're watching on, and go out for a ride, clean your house, actually work if you happen to be at work. You aren't being tied to a chair with your eyes forced open.
Dispassion? Sure. Guess you can't feel passionately about every rider, some are simply too non-descript, just... there.
Hate? No. He's just a guy. Besides, why waste so much energy - so much passion - to hate someone? All that energy could've been spent supporting your favourite riders.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,968
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: afpm90, alexix7, amih77, Amsterhammer, AQETUYIOI, archa55, Billie, carolina, Dekker_Tifosi, deValtos, Dr. Watson, Escarabajo, Geraint Too Fast, Gigs_98, glassmoon, glowder, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], GuyIncognito, jsem94, mb2612, ngent41, pink_jersey, Ricco', Samamba, Sestriere and 152 guests

Back to top