Log in:  

Register

Geraint Thomas

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

16 May 2017 17:12

Brullnux wrote:Rooting for that stage win.


They might try something even tomorrow. Bring on the tomorrow's stage thread.
Ataraxus
Member
 
Posts: 653
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 15:28

16 May 2017 17:24

I think the crash might turn out to be a blessing in disguise. No more unnecessary pressure to win the Giro, but the much more achievable target of a top 10 still there.
User avatar Geraint Too Fast
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,097
Joined: 05 Jul 2011 21:51

16 May 2017 17:38

We he seems to have super form, really unlucky to get taken out and lose all that time, could be a 3 way battle between Nairo, Tom and G for the Giro otherwise.
Inquitus
Member
 
Posts: 512
Joined: 29 Apr 2012 15:28
Location: Dublin

Re:

16 May 2017 17:56

HelloDolly wrote:Would be lying 2nd now if he had not crashed ..possibly only 20 seconds behind Dumoulin...

Thats probably a stretch.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Moderator
 
Posts: 7,384
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

16 May 2017 18:06

This man is showing hes a real racer. Chapeau.
Fernandez
Member
 
Posts: 479
Joined: 27 Apr 2014 17:09
Location: Madrid

16 May 2017 18:14

Great effort today, he must have been gutted after Sunday's stage but to bounce back like that shows heart.

Going to be tough to get on the podium, however he could still get a top 5 and that should give him all the confidence and belief he needs that he could well win a GT one year. Long way to get yet though I admit...
User avatar Pricey_sky
Moderator
 
Posts: 5,636
Joined: 12 Jul 2012 14:05
Location: Kidderminster, England

16 May 2017 20:44

A great ride after his crash. G has always been tough though. The legs are definitely in good shape. Tomorrow might be a test for his shoulder.

@Hello Dolly/Valv

If it weren't for the crash, G would certainly be in 2nd place. Assuming he climbed Blockhaus with Pinot and Dumoulin (quite reasonable, given how he rode against Pinot in the Tour of the Alps and how he rode today), he'd be about 45secs. down.
User avatar Tank Engine
Member
 
Posts: 1,496
Joined: 16 Jul 2011 21:50
Location: Central Europe

Re: Re:

16 May 2017 20:57

Valv.Piti wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:Would be lying 2nd now if he had not crashed ..possibly only 20 seconds behind Dumoulin...

Thats probably a stretch.

Diane Abbott is doing the maths for Hello Dolly. Thomas would've arrived with Quintana if he were to be only 20 seconds down
Brullnux
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,825
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

16 May 2017 21:26

While I meant to write 45 seconds behind...nothing to so with maths more to do with typing

Thomas would have been imo at 28 (or less) and then Dumoulin 32 after stage 9 so that is a 4 seconds advantage and then 49 disadantage today

But while my slip of 20 seconds calls for comparisons to Diane Abbott and uncalled for derision there is every reason to beleive that Thomas may have done better on the TT but for the crash and he could well have gotton a few seconds nearer to Quintana and alot nearer to Dumoulin today
He is bound to have been impeded by the crash ..so 20 seconds is as good as guestimate as any
HelloDolly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,801
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 00:12
Location: Birmingham

Re: Re:

16 May 2017 23:23

SeriousSam wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:
SeriousSam wrote:Will be interesting to track his hypothetical standing in the GC, assuming he'd have finished with Pinot and Dumoulin on Blockhaus


Why assume that? Why not assume he finishes with Mollema? Or Nibali? Or Kruijswijk? Or any of the other riders in between Quintana and his actual finishing place?

Shouldn't we wait until we see how he's climbing before we assume a climbing level for him?


I'm not advocating that we persist with the assumption he'd have finished with Pinot and Dumoulin if he cannot keep up with them in the remaining mountain stages.

If you're asking whether I can make a case that with the information we have right now, it's a better assumption than that he'd have finished with Mollema, the answer is no. Than Crushweak? I probably can.

It's essentially about where you rank G as a climber in general, when he has good form (as today's TT indicates).


I agree with the last part certainly, but I really can't see much case for ranking Thomas, in any form, as a climber ahead of any of the other starting favourites until he shows otherwise. And by "shows otherwise" I mean shows an ability to climb better than them over a whole series of back to back climbing stages. We are talking about a guy who is in his 30s and has never done that.

Now maybe he can do it. In the history of transformations at Sky, a superb generalist like Thomas becoming a very high level climber wouldn't rank near the top. But a good time trial is not significant evidence of it. I don't think it's impossible that he could have held Dumoulin's wheel, but it's hardly something I'd be willing to assume. As you say though, if he climbs with the likes of Pinot, Nibali, Dumoulin for the rest of the Giro, that kind of assumption would retrospectively be fair enough.

I'm mostly just bitter that a stupid accident means that we still don't really know his current climbing level (or Landa's).
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,320
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

Re:

17 May 2017 12:34

HelloDolly wrote:While I meant to write 45 seconds behind...nothing to so with maths more to do with typing

Thomas would have been imo at 28 (or less) and then Dumoulin 32 after stage 9 so that is a 4 seconds advantage and then 49 disadantage today

But while my slip of 20 seconds calls for comparisons to Diane Abbott and uncalled for derision there is every reason to beleive that Thomas may have done better on the TT but for the crash and he could well have gotton a few seconds nearer to Quintana and alot nearer to Dumoulin today
He is bound to have been impeded by the crash ..so 20 seconds is as good as guestimate as any

Calm, it was a joke.

Thomas said that the pain in his shoulder didn't affect the TT performance too much; it hurt a bit wasn't overly bad because he just tried to block it out. On the climb I don't know if he'd have done as well as Pinot and Dumoulin, and using Trentino as a basis for comparison is pretty useless considering Pozzovivo was climbing close to top Thomas and around where Pinot was, yet lost almost a minute to him. 45 seconds is extremely possible, 20 less so.
Brullnux
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,825
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

17 May 2017 15:17

It wasn't an easy fall.
Yesterday's ride was too short to feel the effects.
User avatar sir fly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,559
Joined: 24 Feb 2014 16:04
Location: 011

Re:

17 May 2017 20:14

Not good signs today. He's lucky that there should be some time off from the serious climbing for a few days.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,320
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

Re: Re:

18 May 2017 00:43

Brullnux wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:Would be lying 2nd now if he had not crashed ..possibly only 20 seconds behind Dumoulin...

Thats probably a stretch.

Diane Abbott is doing the maths for Hello Dolly. Thomas would've arrived with Quintana if he were to be only 20 seconds down

Yes, and if my aunt had a set of these, she would be my uncle ;) . We'll never know.

Edit: for the record, I feel bad for GT. That was his golden opportunity to showcase himself. Bad luck stroke. Sad for him...
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton
Moderator
 
Posts: 3,414
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

19 May 2017 07:36

Thomas DNS today. A shame but understandable after struggling the past couple of days.

“I’ve been suffering since my crash on Sunday. I’ve had an issue with my shoulder which is manageable, but my knee has also been getting worse each day."

Rest up for Froome at the Tour or given a free role at the Vuelta?
User avatar Pricey_sky
Moderator
 
Posts: 5,636
Joined: 12 Jul 2012 14:05
Location: Kidderminster, England

19 May 2017 07:37

Disappointing.
User avatar Alexandre B.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,718
Joined: 10 Feb 2015 20:04
Location: Paris, France

19 May 2017 07:41

This makes his TT result quite impressive.
User avatar Squire
Member
 
Posts: 975
Joined: 28 Dec 2010 23:39
Location: Shanghai

Re:

19 May 2017 07:43

Squire wrote:This makes his TT result quite impressive.


Absolutely, but I think that hour of peak effort has probably made his suffering worse the past two days.
User avatar Pricey_sky
Moderator
 
Posts: 5,636
Joined: 12 Jul 2012 14:05
Location: Kidderminster, England

19 May 2017 07:45

froome is sat at home with a massive cheese face. if he can get his pre giro form back he is probably the best domestique on the planet. it also means landa can go insane with stage hunting in the last week which should be fun to watch.
Singer01
Member
 
Posts: 838
Joined: 18 Nov 2013 19:04

19 May 2017 07:55

So it looks like we'll never know what his climbing would have been. Shame

At least we have the magnificent Sky Mountain Train to look forward to
User avatar SeriousSam
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,184
Joined: 31 Aug 2012 00:06
Location: Now here

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Tonton and 14 guests

Back to top