Register

Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

07 Jun 2017 08:21

thehog wrote:
ontheroad wrote:Reading this joker's 6 point plan in his manifesto, you would think that doping was barely an issue in the sport. And absolutely no reference made to mechanical doping. Hear no evil see no evil.

He is not fit to be in charge of world cycling but he has been involved in sweetener deals and buttering up the right people to guaranteee their votes in the next election so he will probably slip back into position unnoticed. It seems as though the UCI president is a harder job to get out of than it is to get into.

Additionally his 6-point plan covers nothing on rider safety with motobikes and race vehicles. Which beggars belief considering the number of incidents there has been in the last four years. I think Cookson might be brain dead or just very confident that he has the votes to secure re-election.

is this not already being sorted by UCI...have riders representatives suggested not enough
is being done?

now do we have anyone looking to contest leadership?

if the ideal candidate stepped up.....to actually clean up cycling would this remit make
them completely unsuitable ensuring they would never win any vote?

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

07 Jun 2017 13:17

I think any opposition candidates hoping to clean up cycling would see it as a futile attempt
User avatar veganrob

Re:

07 Jun 2017 13:23

veganrob wrote:I think any opposition candidates hoping to clean up cycling would see it as a futile attempt

Cookson back at it again, doing what he does best.... nothing.

Cookson: I did nothing to be ashamed of at British Cycling - UCI president doesn't believe scandal will harm re-election
User avatar thehog
Veteran

20 Jun 2017 12:57

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/david-lappartient-launches-candidacy-for-uci-presidency/#disqus_thread
Let battle commence! "Ensuring credibility of sporting results and protecting athletes" Biff! Pow! Ouch! :D
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
"The president is one large S.T.D., and if you’re in close proximity you’re going to get tainted by it.”
User avatar Robert5091

20 Jun 2017 14:25

Lance has pretty much summed up how I feel ln one single tweet.....'ABC (Anyone But Cookson)'. .

Although the same was said of Pat McQuaid previously and that hasn't worked out too well either.
ontheroad

Re:

20 Jun 2017 14:28

ontheroad wrote:Lance has pretty much summed up how I feel ln one single tweet.....'ABC (Anyone But Cookson)'. .

Although the same was said of Pat McQuaid previously and that hasn't worked out too well either.

And the same thing was said about Hein Verbruggen.

Power corrupts and in the case of the office of the President of the UCI, it's the rule not the exception.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

20 Jun 2017 15:11

cool! let's have a french president.................knows more about cycling and looks way dapper..................

let us brits disappear back to being bit players in this game....................

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

Re:

20 Jun 2017 15:52

ebandit wrote:cool! let's have a french president.................knows more about cycling and looks way dapper..................

let us brits disappear back to being bit players in this game....................

Mark L

What has nationality got to do with competence and an ability to do the job properly.
ontheroad

20 Jun 2017 18:43

LOL! did i say that..........my observation was based upon the current president being rather vapid.............

lacks sartorial elegance ..............i would welcome a change

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

20 Jun 2017 23:02

Let's get ready to rumble!

The gloves are off ... wait a moment, that messes up the boxing metaphor ... oh well.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cookson-questions-lappartients-vision-as-he-reacts-to-uci-presidency-challenge/
Cookson says "Lappi" needs glasses! Ouch! That must have hurt .... ("Cookson questions Lappartient's 'vision' ")
"The president is one large S.T.D., and if you’re in close proximity you’re going to get tainted by it.”
User avatar Robert5091

20 Jun 2017 23:29

I would love UCI treating Uk the same way IAAF did to Russians. Ban them all - at very least everybody who has been involved with either National Track Team or Team Sky since 2009!
seldon71

21 Jun 2017 07:57

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/armstrong-and-bruyneel-take-to-twitter-to-criticise-brian-cookson/
Lance says Cookson needs glasses! ("I don't know what his vision is ..") Kapow! Ugh!
Tag team member Bruyneel tweets "u will lose big time" - Boff!

Wow! Pace yourselves guys - the vote's not until September 21! :D
User avatar Robert5091

21 Jun 2017 08:11

seldon71 wrote:I would love UCI treating Uk the same way IAAF did to Russians. Ban them all - at very least everybody who has been involved with either National Track Team or Team Sky since 2009!

many would love it too...................if brit officials were replacing athletes samples with

'clean replacements'.................accepting bribes to allow athletes to continue.........we

would have ban in............................................

Mark L

another reason why i would prefer brian .............not to be in charge
User avatar ebandit

Re:

21 Jun 2017 11:16

blackcat wrote:
the sceptic wrote:Cound
i dont this chris really unnerstood that vino doped cos millartime says he was so disspoints
Froome cuckold
no i knew john robertson told me at barlo
Cound
no, you did not fully know cos i never told you so stfu

just luv this sig

+1
Gaul 58

21 Jun 2017 12:13

How can anyone take this sport seriously when the high priest of sporting morality who dedicates his life to anti doping tweets this crap

Jonathan Vaughters‏ @Vaughters 20 hours ago

Lappartient = ASO meat puppet. Hugely negative for athletes and teams.

ASO runs cycling, the important parts of the pro sport. The UCI only ever rattled their sword at ASO, the wimps, so to call Lappartient an ASO meat puppet is splitting hairs on a flea!!!!

This sport remains firmly in the gutter for the foreseeable future, the pro part of it at least, Luckily most people who are buying bikes are not interested in paying for a UCI licence. The UCI might die yet.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

Re:

21 Jun 2017 12:43

Benotti69 wrote:How can anyone take this sport seriously when the high priest of sporting morality who dedicates his life to anti doping tweets this crap

Jonathan Vaughters‏ @Vaughters 20 hours ago

Lappartient = ASO meat puppet. Hugely negative for athletes and teams.

ASO runs cycling, the important parts of the pro sport. The UCI only ever rattled their sword at ASO, the wimps, so to call Lappartient an ASO meat puppet is splitting hairs on a flea!!!!

This sport remains firmly in the gutter for the foreseeable future, the pro part of it at least, Luckily most people who are buying bikes are not interested in paying for a UCI licence. The UCI might die yet.

Vaughters will back Cookson for the same reason Sky and many other teams will: protection and cover up.
Everything else Vaughters is now saying on twitter is a weak deflection away from that.

It's about time Vaughters starts opening up about what he knows about motors in the peloton.
Come on Jonathan. Tell us why you were so keen to keep Johnny Weltz on board.
sniper
Veteran

21 Jun 2017 14:08

Very strong words from Vaughters. Maybe he is right but has he made any comment on the credibility of Cookson? Just a s**t show.
ontheroad

Re:

21 Jun 2017 14:29

ontheroad wrote:Very strong words from Vaughters. Maybe he is right but has he made any comment on the credibility of Cookson? Just a s**t show.

Why would anyone listen to Vaughters? He runs a team for his own financial benefit with interest in the sport itself. Well except for own self serving interest in Velon. ASO is the sport, they own most of the races and have great support with other rede directors and companies. Velon is trying to bitch in on that patch with races in non-traditional cycling nations. I would expect JV is getting a cut from those races.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

Re: Re:

21 Jun 2017 14:29

sniper wrote:Vaughters will back Cookson for the same reason Sky and many other teams will: protection and cover up.
Of course, who Vaughters wants as prez, who Sky want as prez, that's actually pretty irrelevant: they don't get to vote. And if today's l'Équipe is right about British Cycling rowing in behind Lappartient, then Sky can't even control the votes local to them...
User avatar fmk_RoI

Re: Re:

21 Jun 2017 15:13

fmk_RoI wrote:
sniper wrote:Vaughters will back Cookson for the same reason Sky and many other teams will: protection and cover up.
Of course, who Vaughters wants as prez, who Sky want as prez, that's actually pretty irrelevant: they don't get to vote. And if today's l'Équipe is right about British Cycling rowing in behind Lappartient, then Sky can't even control the votes local to them...

Cookson doesn't even have the support of his own federation?

That's saying a lot if you ask me...
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic