Register

Major League Baseball

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

03 Nov 2016 05:27

Holy mother of God, that was an epic for the ages, rightly won by the best team of the season. If the Cubs can break a 108 year drought there's hope for all of us who support teams that lose.
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

03 Nov 2016 10:27

CUBBIES!!!!!!!!
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

03 Nov 2016 13:56

Yay Cubbies, the curse of the Billy Goat has at last been broken! (Don't really know all the details because I wasn't there, but apparently way back when a fan and his goat had been kicked out of a game, and thus began the curse. Sounds pretty funny, actually.)
User avatar Tricycle Rider

03 Nov 2016 15:38

You guys are going to love this. Remember me complaining last year about how games last too darned long into the night here on the east coast, and should start an hour earlier? So, I'm watching the game last night, Cubs are up I think 6-2, it's time for me to go to bed, so I set my DVR to record, and add a full hour to the recording, to make sure I don't miss anything, and go to bed.

I wake up, eager to see who won, avoiding looking at the phone, or anything. I start the DVR, Indians tie the game, looks like extra innings, rain delay. And I wait, and fast forward. And low and behold, just as the players are back on the field and game's back starting up, the DVR recording ends!!! Even with adding extra time, I missed the whole blessed excitement of the end!

Ouch!
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re:

03 Nov 2016 16:25

Alpe d'Huez wrote:You guys are going to love this. Remember me complaining last year about how games last too darned long into the night here on the east coast, and should start an hour earlier? So, I'm watching the game last night, Cubs are up I think 6-2, it's time for me to go to bed, so I set my DVR to record, and add a full hour to the recording, to make sure I don't miss anything, and go to bed.

I wake up, eager to see who won, avoiding looking at the phone, or anything. I start the DVR, Indians tie the game, looks like extra innings, rain delay. And I wait, and fast forward. And low and behold, just as the players are back on the field and game's back starting up, the DVR recording ends!!! Even with adding extra time, I missed the whole blessed excitement of the end!

Ouch!

There are times when sleep is overrated.
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

Re:

03 Nov 2016 17:11

Alpe d'Huez wrote:You guys are going to love this. Remember me complaining last year about how games last too darned long into the night here on the east coast, and should start an hour earlier? So, I'm watching the game last night, Cubs are up I think 6-2, it's time for me to go to bed, so I set my DVR to record, and add a full hour to the recording, to make sure I don't miss anything, and go to bed.

Ouch!
Oh wow, you had just reminded me that I had set my TV on record, and truth be told, after the game was tied in the 8th I couldn't bear to watch anymore. So I didn't.

So this morning when I found out the Cubs had won I was all happy that I had recorded the game, but egads! After reading your post I couldn't remember whether I had added enough time extension! So I was checking all furiously, turns out I had added three hours because baseball games can go on practically indefinitely, so luckily I've got the whole thing.

Whew, that was a close one!
User avatar Tricycle Rider

04 Nov 2016 12:15

You are a wiser man than I.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

04 Nov 2016 16:41

http://wgntv.com/on-air/live-streaming/

Parade live now, never seen anything like it. First estimates are 3m+ !!
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

04 Nov 2016 17:00

THE HEAVENS—Following a 8-7 victory over the Cleveland Indians that clinched the team’s first World Series title since 1908, sources confirmed Wednesday that millions of intoxicated Chicago Cubs fans are currently rioting across Heaven.
Moments after watching the game’s final out from above Earth, massive throngs of intoxicated Cubs fans—most of whom went their entire lives without ever seeing the team win a World Series—poured out all over the eternal city, where they reportedly continued drinking heavily as they cheered, hugged strangers, and loudly played golden harps in celebration of their long-awaited championship.
“Let’s go, Cubbies!” screamed Susan Leitch, who died of cardiac arrest in 1997 at the age of 70, before joining hundreds of fellow deceased Chicago fans as they repeatedly sang the chorus of “Go Cubs, Go!” “World Series champs! Finally!”
“Woo!” continued Leitch as she drunkenly stumbled over her feet and broke out in a fit of laughter.
According to reports, after one fan managed to affix a large “W” win flag to the top of the Pearly Gates, a large mob of Cubs fans began violently shaking the gateway as they chanted third baseman Kris Bryant’s name for nearly an hour. Sources confirmed that the gold-paved streets were quickly littered with empty beer cans, cigarettes, spilled food, and other refuse, while a number of inebriated fans were also seen urinating against the sapphire, emerald, and diamond–encrusted walls that protect the sacred realm.

http://www.theonion.com/article/millions-drunk-cubs-fans-rioting-heaven-following--54580
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

21 May 2017 18:20

I like this story! And honestly, it makes me like TT even more.
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19409566/fans-flocking-see-tim-tebow-minor-league-baseball
jmdirt

30 May 2017 02:20

Strickland hitting Harper today is just another reason why I have mostly lost interest in MLB. Hitting a batter is almost as old as the game, but it is so bastardized now that its stupid. Hitting a batter/plunking them is a retaliatory message for something that happened in the game. Not 10 games ago, or last season, or three season ago.
jmdirt

Re:

30 May 2017 13:58

jmdirt wrote:Strickland hitting Harper today is just another reason why I have mostly lost interest in MLB. Hitting a batter is almost as old as the game, but it is so bastardized now that its stupid. Hitting a batter/plunking them is a retaliatory message for something that happened in the game. Not 10 games ago, or last season, or three season ago.

2014 to be exact. Harper faced Strickland 2 times in the NL DS and both time Harper went yard. I watched those games and really nothing unusual about Harper's actions after those home runs. The first one Strickland started yelling at him to get around the bases and then the second one Harper paused just a little after he rocked it.

I think Harper tossed that helmet to the side on purpose because right as he was getting ready to unload it on him he must have decided that it would have brought a huge suspension or fine.
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

22 Jun 2017 15:37

The Mets are upset with Puig for taking too long to round the bases after his home run. WAAAAAAAH! WTH?! In the NFL they dance all over after they score. NOTE TO MLB Players: Don't kill your sport while its seeing its best revenues in years.
jmdirt

Re: Major League Baseball

25 Jun 2017 22:59

Tim Tebow is being promoted from low A ball to Advanced A ball. So much for promotion based on merit. In 63 games, his line is .222/.311/.340, with a wRC+ of 91. For those of you unfamiliar with these stats, a wRC+ of 100 is average, so even playing at the lowest possible level, Tebow has been a below-average hitter. Moreover, since he plays in the outfield, where players are generally expected to hit better than at other positions, he’s even more below average than the number indicates. At 6’3” and 250 lb, the one thing he was supposed to offer was power, but he’s hit only 3 HR, and two of them came in his first three games.

No secret why the Mets organization is doing this: money! Tebow sells tickets, even if he’s not much of a player. But if I were a player in A ball, putting up better numbers than Tebow and not going anywhere I’d be pretty p---ed. Unlike Tebow, most of these minor league players have no higher paying job opportunities, like sports media, to fall back on. Most of them make less than a decent living wage, putting up with this only in the hopes that they can make it to the majors in a few years. (The minimum that a player on a major league team's roster makes is about half a million a year; the maximum that a high level minor leaguer makes is around $2000 a month--and that's only for the months that the season goes on).

The move seems to add more evidence to the idea that the Mets are using Tebow as a sideshow. His promotion to a new club means there will be more Tebow merchandise for fans to purchase. More merchandise means more money to the organization.

With the Mets falling out of contention, there’s at least a chance Tebow makes it to the majors by the end of the season. That might seem ridiculous considering his numbers and lack of experience, but those things haven’t factored into the team’s choices thus far.

https://sports.yahoo.com/tim-tebow-moves-level-proving-mets-care-one-thing-185741902.html

I guess it was inevitable that once it was accepted that great athletes should be paid a lot in recognition of their accomplishments, some athletes would try to eliminate the middleman: what you accomplish on the field doesn’t matter, as long as the money comes in. Boxing of course is now taking that logic further than anywhere else, but Tebow is doing his part to bring that notion to baseball. If it’s all about entertainment, who needs to be good at anything but selling tickets?
Merckx index

26 Jun 2017 03:33

Merckx index wrote:Tim Tebow is being promoted from low A ball to Advanced A ball. So much for promotion based on merit. In 63 games, his line is .222/.311/.340, with a wRC+ of 91. For those of you unfamiliar with these stats, a wRC+ of 100 is average, so even playing at the lowest possible level, Tebow has been a below-average hitter. Moreover, since he plays in the outfield, where players are generally expected to hit better than at other positions, he’s even more below average than the number indicates. At 6’3” and 250 lb, the one thing he was supposed to offer was power, but he’s hit only 3 HR, and two of them came in his first three games.

No secret why the Mets organization is doing this: money! Tebow sells tickets, even if he’s not much of a player. But if I were a player in A ball, putting up better numbers than Tebow and not going anywhere I’d be pretty p---ed. Unlike Tebow, most of these minor league players have no higher paying job opportunities, like sports media, to fall back on. Most of them make less than a decent living wage, putting up with this only in the hopes that they can make it to the majors in a few years. (The minimum that a player on a major league team's roster makes is about half a million a year; the maximum that a high level minor leaguer makes is around $2000 a month--and that's only for the months that the season goes on).

The move seems to add more evidence to the idea that the Mets are using Tebow as a sideshow. His promotion to a new club means there will be more Tebow merchandise for fans to purchase. More merchandise means more money to the organization.

With the Mets falling out of contention, there’s at least a chance Tebow makes it to the majors by the end of the season. That might seem ridiculous considering his numbers and lack of experience, but those things haven’t factored into the team’s choices thus far.

https://sports.yahoo.com/tim-tebow-moves-level-proving-mets-care-one-thing-185741902.html

I guess it was inevitable that once it was accepted that great athletes should be paid a lot in recognition of their accomplishments, some athletes would try to eliminate the middleman: what you accomplish on the field doesn’t matter, as long as the money comes in. Boxing of course is now taking that logic further than anywhere else, but Tebow is doing his part to bring that notion to baseball. If it’s all about entertainment, who needs to be good at anything but selling tickets?

I'm less cynical about it Merckx. He's doing something because he enjoys it. He could be doing several other things while making more money, but he wants to play baseball. Even though his stats are average, he has been great for the Fireflies so the Mets are betting he can have the same effect for St. L (especially since its in FL). By all accounts his teammates love him, even so some will be upset that they didn't get the nod...win a Heisman, two National Titles, play in the NFL, sell lots of merch$. and ticket$, and you too can get an early promotion.
jmdirt

26 Jun 2017 12:16

I have no problem with him wanting to play, and teams giving him a shot. Good for him.

As to the merits of him moving up? Well, since almost everything is about money and the bottom line in America these days, who can blame the franchises? I'm sure if Tebow were almost as good as the worst player on the Mets roster, he'd be sitting on their bench, wouldn't he?
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

26 Jun 2017 15:06

JM, there's nothing exceptional or particularly noteworthy about the fact that Tebow wants to play baseball (ignoring the fact that this desire only surfaced several years after he was out of the NFL, when it became clear that his options for staying in the limelight were dwindling). There are probably millions of men in America who would give up a higher paying job if they could get a shot at playing pro baseball.

The problem is that he’s done nothing to deserve the shot. If he were a former Heisman Trophy and National Championship winner WITHOUT the in-your-face religion, there’s no way he would have even had the chance to play low A ball, let alone be promoted. Think Matt Leinart would be given this opportunity? Or Sam Bradford, who didn’t win a NC, but at least has been somewhat successful in the NFL? Baseball is supposed to be a meritocracy—hence it was de-segregated long before most other American institutions. Being a great football player, at the college level, says nothing about his baseball talent.

Yes, you could say much the same about Michael Jordan, but at least he was, obviously, successful at the highest level of his original sport. He didn't take up baseball because he had failed to make an impact in another sport. In Jordan’s case, there was also curiosity to see how much his elite skills in one sport might transfer to another sport; at the time, there had never been a case quite like Jordan’s. Unlike Jordan, Tebow has not demonstrated elite pro-level skills in any sport.

Alpe, so ironic that you rail against money in politics, while you don’t seem to mind at all when it corrupts other areas of American life—as though the two were completely unrelated. The root problem is greed, and you can see those roots very clearly in the way Tebow is being handled. The crowning irony is that Christianity at its founding was very much oriented against greed, something today’s so-called Christians, including Tebow himself, of course, almost completely ignore.
Merckx index

26 Jun 2017 15:24

Merckx index wrote:Alpe, so ironic that you rail against money in politics, while you don’t seem to mind at all when it corrupts other areas of American life—as though the two were completely unrelated. The root problem is greed, and you can see those roots very clearly in the way Tebow is being handled.

You have completely misread my statement. Either that, or I wrote it in such a way it was easy to misinterpret. I imagine my "who can blame them" probably came off that way, when my wording was meant to come off as one of disgust.

The whole "greed is good", Ayn Rand's "virtue of selfishness" moral code placed in our political-economic system, which certainly includes the private sector, disgusts me as much as it does you, and not only to the level in politics. Recall that I frequently, frequently try to shine lights in the politics forum on the revolving door of connections between private and public collusion and graft. That definitely includes the private sector of American life as well.

So my point with Tebow was that I'm not one bit surprised that the Mets and their farm system are trying to promote him, because our society is based on the avarice you mention. If you want to say I'm cynical about it, so be it. If you want to say I'm jaded about it, so be it. But to say I don't seem to mind, you couldn't be more wrong.

As a stat, Tebow also lead his team in strikeouts.

Here's an article saying don't be surprised if he's on the Mets roster by September, especially if the team sucks. It's all about selling tickets. Welcome to modern American sports/business. :mad: (Mad emoticon added to emphasize disgust).

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/06/mlb-mets-tim-tebow-promotion-minor-league-stats
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

26 Jun 2017 16:19

Alpe, yes, some disgust did come across in your earlier post, which is why your position on Tebow is puzzling to me. Because you also said that you “have no problem with...teams giving him a shot”. As both I and the article I linked to emphasize, the reason the Mets gave him a shot is because of money. So if you have no problem with this, you aren’t just cynical about the money factor, you don’t seem to mind in this one particular case. If you’re really disgusted about greed, shouldn’t you very definitely have a problem with his getting a shot?

What did Ossoff, who doesn’t even live in the GA district he ran for Congress from, do to deserve his candidacy? I’m quite sure you would say mostly nothing, and that his candidacy was mostly about money (the root cause behind political power). Why not apply the same logic to Tebow? The Democrats thought they saw in Ossoff a way to gain political power, and weren’t really all that concerned with his potential merits as a representative, what he would actually accomplish, or try to accomplish, in Congress. The Mets see in Tebow a way to boost marketing, and so far don’t seem really concerned about his potential merits as a player.

Maybe you’re trying to distinguish Tebow’s role in this from that of the Mets. The Mets made the decision, Tebow just went along with it. But Tebow started this by very publicly stating his desire to play baseball, and if he had any real integrity, he could refuse the promotion on the grounds that he doesn’t deserve it on merit. What a teachable moment that would be! I could really admire him if he did that, and maybe believe that playing baseball for him is all about love for the game, not about money and public relevance. But don’t hold your breath.
Merckx index

26 Jun 2017 17:31

One thing I would like to distinguish here is that politicians misusing our tax money isn't even in the same realm as people spending their own money on entertainment.

Yes, I think that those other guys that you named would get a shot.

Millions of USA men might think the idea was cool, but I don't think that they would give up their job to try it, nor do I think that they could do as well as TT. Of course the HUGE advantage that TT has is the $$$$ he already has in the bank, while the rest of us likely don't have that backup. So his risk is zero, while ours would likely be devastating.
jmdirt

PreviousNext

Return to General