Register

What beer ya drinkin'?

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

20 Jul 2017 00:34

Unchained wrote:TJ is better..but that's relative. San Diego has had a huge influence on Northern Baja beer culture. Mexico has experienced ultra growth in food and beverage.. everything. Mexicans working all over the planet and returning to try new stuff on an old culture.. it's working..
Carlsbad=Rouleur...
rouleurbrewing.com

In the late 70s and early 80s I used to go to Carlsbad to race moto. That track is now under 100,000 houses! Those in-laws moved from La Jolla (well from Idaho to Portland to La Jolla to CBad). I'll see if they know Rouleur, but they are wine folks.
jmdirt

Re:

20 Jul 2017 01:27

jmdirt wrote:aphronesis, we have a place that has $.50 Oly cans on Wednesdays! There are a lot of people of all ages around these here parts who consume a lot of BL and CL at least in part because its not "craft".

Unchained, I was in TJ in '87 and it was disgusting, then again in '93 and it seemed worse. I recently watched a PBS show about how they are cleaning TJ up so that more tourists will come there instead of passing through. Plus they have a foodie movement going on in the revitalized areas. I have in-laws in Carlsbad so maybe next time I'm down there I'll try TJ again?

"It's the water and not a lot more."Mickeys big mouth I could maybe get behind.

Seriously, I'm sure there are lots of places like that and I get the resentment and backlash.

My point was more that in the 00s you had trust fund kids and what not drinking PBR and wearing trucker hats (gas station shirts) because it was slumming retro chic.
aphronesis
Veteran

Re: Re:

20 Jul 2017 02:12

aphronesis wrote:
jmdirt wrote:aphronesis, we have a place that has $.50 Oly cans on Wednesdays! There are a lot of people of all ages around these here parts who consume a lot of BL and CL at least in part because its not "craft".

Unchained, I was in TJ in '87 and it was disgusting, then again in '93 and it seemed worse. I recently watched a PBS show about how they are cleaning TJ up so that more tourists will come there instead of passing through. Plus they have a foodie movement going on in the revitalized areas. I have in-laws in Carlsbad so maybe next time I'm down there I'll try TJ again?

"It's the water and not a lot more."Mickeys big mouth I could maybe get behind.

Seriously, I'm sure there are lots of places like that and I get the resentment and backlash.

My point was more that in the 00s you had trust fund kids and what not drinking PBR and wearing trucker hats (gas station shirts) because it was slumming retro chic.

I try to avoid trustfunders...or maybe they avoid me! :lol: The tech douches (that's not all of the tech people) are still that way around here, they drive their Lotus to McD's and then grab a Coors Light at any place where other people can see them. A friend of mine calls those places "top knot hives"! :D
jmdirt

20 Jul 2017 02:18

A bar in my neighborhood has a "man bun special: bottle of liquor to anyone who cuts it off on the spot.
aphronesis
Veteran

20 Jul 2017 15:15

Liked the write up on Brooklyn bar that got backlash after serving drinks covered by paper bags and making questionable claims about bullet holes in the wall and previous history that bars was a gun sale extravaganza...get off the F train and get your PBR or get it after a short walk from Franklin..
My favorite Prospect Heights bar is across from the police station and just to have that hipster edge..it used to be a laundromat..now that is cool..
Went to a place on @30th@ El Cajon Blvd in San Diego.. they don't take cash..had to use a card..? Legal? I don't know but...
No PBR offered on Cannery Row on the bike line up night.. Anchor Steam still has some decent products..
I love good beer
Unchained

23 Jul 2017 14:36

Domestic craftsmanship

User avatar sir fly

25 Jul 2017 02:56

To Øl, Liquorice Confidence, Imperial Stout brewed w/liquorice and chili peppers, 14%. If you don't like no european licorice and want chocolate in your stout, this may not be for you.
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

27 Jul 2017 17:31

aphronesis wrote:A bar in my neighborhood has a "man bun special: bottle of liquor to anyone who cuts it off on the spot.

Brilliant promo.

This, too, is brilliand on a warm day;

Rodenbach Caractere Rouge Limited

Light on the oak, cherries and cranberries, soft on the 'pucker.' The best Flemish Red I've had.
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

Re: Re:

27 Jul 2017 18:30

Scott SoCal wrote:
aphronesis wrote:A bar in my neighborhood has a "man bun special: bottle of liquor to anyone who cuts it off on the spot.

Brilliant promo.

This, too, is brilliand on a warm day;

Rodenbach Caractere Rouge Limited

Light on the oak, cherries and cranberries, soft on the 'pucker.' The best Flemish Red I've had.

NICE! Its the trash bag tie! :lol:
jmdirt

29 Jul 2017 02:56

OK, its not beer, but I went here for a fundraiser tonight, and there was some really tasty stuff!
http://www.meriwethercider.com/home
jmdirt

01 Aug 2017 22:10

The pub at my local football team has been taken over by a local brewery, Sadlers. Tried a couple of their ales already and very impressed. This is my favourite;

https://www.sadlersales.co.uk/products/peaky-blinder
User avatar Pricey_sky

06 Aug 2017 17:50

....Coors Tri-Lite....especially warm....

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

07 Aug 2017 17:48

Not buying it. You're out there keg standing with a party ball maybe. Some of that warm Molson swill.
aphronesis
Veteran

13 Aug 2017 02:19

Anyway, Dogfish, Worldwide Stout, oak aged w/vanilla @ 18% 2017 edition.

The kidz might say this one's a bit "hot" still. Vanilla comes through on the nose and first few sips. If you find a place serving this in pint glasses, bewary of your neighbors. It's probably best to sit on a few bottles.
aphronesis
Veteran

17 Sep 2017 18:09

With the beer market following the holiday industry, it's apparently that time of year already, so

To Øl, "Mine is bigger than yours", barleywine with flaked oats and candi sugar. A tawny port sort of barleywine in nose color and body. A bit heavy at the end, but smooth nose and mouthfeel. 12.5%

Loverbeer, Pruss Perdu, Sour ale brewed with bure roca pears from piedmont barrel aged for 12 months; 2 months on fruit. Incredibly balanced: tart nose (flowers and sharp wood) and on the tongue, but the body is clean not astringent, finishes with the pears.
aphronesis
Veteran

17 Sep 2017 19:54

Currently this:

http://www.961beer.com/brewmastersedition-static.html

It's awesome but need to find a uk supplier.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

19 Sep 2017 02:01

Had this last week

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/31678/270198/

It's only the second or third "archaeological" beer I've had. It was nice, but I wouldn't want too much. Yours sounds like a more contemporary working. And hops.
aphronesis
Veteran

19 Sep 2017 08:26

As far as I'm aware it's contemporary. Apparently a local guy teaming up with an experienced German producer with the aim of making a beer that captures the flavours of Lebanon. I thought it was brilliant but then I was drinking it while sat on a balcony in 30C/86F evening sunshine watching the sun set over Beirut. It might be a bit different in 7C/45F Glasgow...

Those "archaeological" beers sound interesting, not something I've heard of before. Will have to look into it.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

19 Sep 2017 14:38

The Mediterranean/Levant can have that effect at sundown.
aphronesis
Veteran

24 Sep 2017 13:21

Like most people of standards I dislike pumpkin beer and its role in the branded seasonal craze. Sure, one or two was nice when they were arcane niche things, but beer is beer, coffee is coffee.

That said Cigar City, "Good Gourd" (Imperial pumpkin ale 9.8% I think.) is worth having.

Yeah spices, but it tastes like gourd. Instead of an ale coated with ersatz pie flavorings this has a squash backbone rather than malt which keeps that crap muted. Try it if you see it.
aphronesis
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General