Register

Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Re:

12 Aug 2017 20:23

Red Rick wrote:According to Koen de Kort, Contador's shape is fine head of the Vuelta. He was part of the CN podcast where they discussed Contador's impending retirement.

Also, according to Koen de Kort, although he - (Koen de Kort) has ridden in many teams, Alberto was one of the best leaders he has ridden for who really knew how to motivate his 'troops'. There were a few questions raised about this under the ghastly Tinkoff's 'reign'.
Ariane

Re: Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

12 Aug 2017 23:43

Well, let's just hope that Contador gets in the mix, the course isn't bad for him. His TdF performance wasn't great though. I don't see much and hope that he will target a couple of stages, go crazy...GC wise, and I hope I'm wrong, I can't see it.
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

13 Aug 2017 10:58

Why are you all so pessimistic? Because of his tour performance? Too many race days?
Ikbengodniet

Re:

13 Aug 2017 13:25

Ikbengodniet wrote:Why are you all so pessimistic? Because of his tour performance? Too many race days?

A combination of both of those things I think. I think it's the more realistic approach to think that he probably won't get a very high GC placing. He just can't sustain that high level over the period of three weeks.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

15 Aug 2017 20:54

Sharing an ice cream with his dog :) gosh I will miss him :( Image
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXxqc4KlMSA/
Alberto we love you
on the road
you don't need to say this stuff
we saw you on the road
you blessed us with 9 great shows
let's not argue the toss about the official count
you are much bigger than that
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Yesterday 13:50

shouldn't he be on a bike training instead of receiving a virus from his dog lol ?
User avatar Lexman

Yesterday 14:16

I think he isn't training very hard for this vuelta. He will take it easy for the first time in his career
portugal11

Yesterday 14:54

I don't think he cares much anymore, which I guess would be understandable.
Although allegedly he uploaded a file to Strava some days ago which collected some KOMs in the mountains around Madrid but I didn't see it and he seems to have deleted it now.
Alberto we love you
on the road
we saw you on the road
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re:

Yesterday 14:59

LaFlorecita wrote:I don't think he cares much anymore, which I guess would be understandable.
Although allegedly he uploaded a file to Strava some days ago which collected some KOMs in the mountains around Madrid but I didn't see it and he seems to have deleted it now.

I think the same too.
portugal11

Yesterday 15:20

I think it's a strange situation. I don't think Contador has a lot of pressure to win the GC, if at all. However, I think there is pressure to go out on a high note, and that is no small task in itself.

As for the instagram post, it says nothing at all. Contador did have his legs up, so it may have been post training.

One last thing I want to see, I want to see him going all out on the beard.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

Yesterday 15:28

I dont follow Contador on instagram or wherever he posted those pictures, but taking a few snaps with his dog is no indication of anything really. Cannot be dancing up mountains all the time, especially not ahead of the 2 GT.

Seems more like expectation management than anything else.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

Yesterday 15:38

His upcoming retirement is really making me feel old... I mean; it wasn't that long ago he suddenly burst onto the Grand Tour scene, is it? I know it is... but it... isn't. It can't be.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Yesterday 20:05

Vuelta director Guillén has said they'll have a special tribute for Alberto in Madrid. "But the main tribute will be from the public, day after day".

https://as.com/ciclismo/2017/08/16/vuelta_espana/1502873940_446171.html
Alberto we love you
on the road
we saw you on the road
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re:

Yesterday 20:47

LaFlorecita wrote:Sharing an ice cream with his dog :) gosh I will miss him :( Image
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXxqc4KlMSA/

I know. Me too. :(

It's going to take me some time to stop looking for him in the peloton.
Electress

Re:

Yesterday 23:42

Lexman wrote:shouldn't he be on a bike training instead of receiving a virus from his dog lol ?

Dude even if he trained for 6 hours every single day he would still have time to post pictures with his dog.

Anyways. I expect his performance to be similar to his Tour. He might get a top 10 GC. I'm hoping he'll get a stage win since there's more chances.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

Today 10:30

I think he will go very well.
arvc40

Today 10:42

The Fundacion Contador team will go Conti next season and will be a feeder team for Trek-Segafredo led by Basso.
Alberto we love you
on the road
we saw you on the road
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Today 12:59

Nice
User avatar Red Rick

Today 17:33

Just watched the Cuitu Negru stage from 2012. Never seen Jesus that strong, he smashed the peloton, but holy smokes that attack by Contador around the 2 km mark was violent (just after Quintana went up the road for no reason at all at the start of the wall). Watching it I was sure Purito would drop, even a full retard Froome would have had difficulties responding to that attack. Contador wasn't amazing that Vuelta, but that particular attack was just insane. And Purito didnt give a **** on those 25% gradients.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

Today 17:50

Valv.Piti wrote:Just watched the Cuitu Negru stage from 2012. Never seen Jesus that strong, he smashed the peloton, but holy smokes that attack by Contador around the 2 km mark was violent (just after Quintana went up the road for no reason at all at the start of the wall). Watching it I was sure Purito would drop, even a full retard Froome would have had difficulties responding to that attack. Contador wasn't amazing that Vuelta, but that particular attack was just insane. And Purito didnt give a **** on those 25% gradients.

Yeah, Contador was getting closer to breaking Purito. On the Ancares he was clearly better judging by how that ended, on the Covadonga he was waiting very long to react at one point and on Cuitu Negro he was almost done for. It spoke heaps and bounds that he couldn't sprint for much longer than a few seconds and barely put a second into Contador in the final sprint to the line.
User avatar Red Rick

Previous

Return to Professional road racing