Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

12 Sep 2017 22:46

Scott SoCal wrote:
Semper Fidelis wrote:

This picture causes me some issues. I told ole girl to watch the seat.

When I first looked at this photo I thought... "can't be Hillary," then I saw the death grip on the stair rail.

The comments on that article will provide belly laughs.

navigation of steps can cause folks with serious "dehydration" issues to pass out or drop out.

Hey "High speed Wall" or what?????
http://www.kvoa.com/story/36348146/waiver-issued-so-construction-of-border-wall-can-begin

I like and admire a "can do" attitude.
"If you build it they will stay"
"disc brake enlightenment"
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

13 Sep 2017 00:17

such a nice feeling today leaving our port fourchon galliano bristow heliport on a civilian CH53. Yall enjoy those fossil fuels.
Veteran

Re:

13 Sep 2017 04:14

blutto wrote:“Don't get too deep, it leads to over thinking, and over thinking leads to problems that doesn't even exist in the first place.”
― Jayson Engay

Cheers

I know this is a bit late, but sounds a lot like Tropic Thunder's "Don't go full retard..."
User avatar Archibald

Re: U.S. Politics

13 Sep 2017 04:27

blutto wrote:....so glad this is continuing to get the traction it so richly deserves.....

The social justice warrior charge to purge the United States of all monuments relating in any way to the Confederacy has been rapidly expanding to include the scourge represented by all white people all through history. The Founding Fathers who owned slaves will undoubtedly be the next ones on the block and the list will undoubtedly expand as other deviations from current sensibilities are elaborated. In Baltimore, the world’s oldest memorial to Christopher Columbus was vandalized and it is reported that the snowflake mayor of New York City Bill de Blasio has ordered an inquiry into whether Columbus Circle in Manhattan and its eponymous statue should remain in place. Los Angeles has renamed Columbus Day Indigenous Peoples Day.

When the Columbus statue was vandalized I posted the news story on Facebook with the comment “More sanctimonious leftists having fun, wrecking a historic monument to vent their hatred of everything and everyone that does not fit into their worldview.” It attracted some comments from the usual crowd, including these from two Brits, “So glad this disgusting monument of sick depravity is gone. It’s not ‘lefties’ it’s your white privilege that’s annoyed! I wish disgusting Churchill would get off my UK bank notes too,” and “Hmmm. Columbus was a psychopath who killed, enslaved and raped countless innocent people. He doesn’t deserve to be remembered as anything but a vile and disgusting creature, IMHO.”

Chris clearly did not know what he was getting into when he “discovered” the New World, and what should be done about fellow explorer Amerigo Vespucci, whose name was given to the two continents? What used to be called the Age of Exploration will no doubt be renamed the Age of Exploitation in the textbooks and the levelers will promote the viewpoint that everything indigenous was good and everything that came out of Europe was bad. In fact, they are already saying that at some of our leading universities.

Now, I would suggest that turnabout is fair play so if we are all agreeing that monuments must be destroyed to right historic wrongs, I am interested in making up my own little list based on the things that I disapprove of. As readers of this site are aware, I am a critic of illegal behavior by the United States government, to include torture, targeted assassinations by drone and starting wars without any reason to do so, so that would be a good place to start.

So how do you go after monuments that celebrate war crimes as such memorials don’t really exist in any unambiguous form except possibly hidden in a broom closet at CIA headquarters? Well, for starters, I would go after the presidents who authorized the misdeeds, since, as Harry Truman once put it, “the buck stops here” in the Oval Office. I would look first and foremost at Presidential Libraries and would suggest that all the recent ones be either demolished or shrouded in black tarps like the statue of good old Robert E. Lee in Charlottesville.

Recent Presidential Libraries represent an unhappy compromise where politics, personal commemoration and archival information that is presumed to be both reliable and comprehensive have to coexist. Most Americans would likely be surprised to learn that there are 13 presidential libraries, many of which are attached to museums and supporting foundations, all of which are now operated by public funding. The first such library was founded by Herbert Hoover, but a number of libraries preserving presidential papers were established privately prior to that administration for presidents Washington, the two Adams, Jefferson, Lincoln, Grant, Hayes, Wilson and Coolidge.

http://www.unz.com/pgiraldi/removing-offensive-monuments/

....can hardly wait till they get around to renaming Washington.....anybody got any ideas ?....I mean its tough...like it has to be gender neutral, gluten free, non-dairy, full vegan, race neutral, with no historical references cause history is hopelessly contaminated with bad things, sexual orientation neutral....like even Plain Vanilla has too much cultural baggage....maybe something pronounish....see its tough...

Cheers

It'll reach a point where the only statue left will be the Rocky one in Philly...
User avatar Archibald

13 Sep 2017 05:01

movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

13 Sep 2017 07:18

I don't always agree with Frank, but he's spot on here.

When she isn’t repeating self-help bromides or calumniating the Russians she can be found wondering why so many working-class people have deserted the Democratic party.

...Clinton’s efforts to understand populism always get short-circuited, probably because taking it seriously might lead one to conclude that working people have a legitimate beef with her and the Democratic party.

Countless inconvenient items get deleted from her history. She only writes about trade, for example, in the most general terms; Nafta and the TPP never. Her husband’s program of bank deregulation is photoshopped out. The names Goldman Sachs and Walmart never come up.

Besides, to take populism seriously might also mean that Bernie Sanders, who was “outraged about everything,” might have had a point, and much of What Happened is dedicated to blasting Sanders for challenging Clinton in the Democratic primaries. Given that he later endorsed her and even campaigned for her, this can only be described as churlish, if not downright dishonest.

If she really thinks she's right, and isn't just bitter, or mistaken, why doesn't she start campaigning now for 2020, and see how that plays out?
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

13 Sep 2017 07:43

Alpe d'Huez wrote:

When she isn’t repeating self-help bromides or calumniating the Russians she can be found wondering why so many working-class people have deserted the Democratic party.

...Clinton’s efforts to understand populism always get short-circuited, probably because taking it seriously might lead one to conclude that working people have a legitimate beef with her and the Democratic party.

Countless inconvenient items get deleted from her history. She only writes about trade, for example, in the most general terms; Nafta and the TPP never. Her husband’s program of bank deregulation is photoshopped out. The names Goldman Sachs and Walmart never come up.

Besides, to take populism seriously might also mean that Bernie Sanders, who was “outraged about everything,” might have had a point, and much of What Happened is dedicated to blasting Sanders for challenging Clinton in the Democratic primaries. Given that he later endorsed her and even campaigned for her, this can only be described as churlish, if not downright dishonest.

If she really thinks she's right, and isn't just bitter, or mistaken, why doesn't she start campaigning now for 2020, and see how that plays out?

I think one of the Kardashians would have a better chance.
movingtarget
Veteran

13 Sep 2017 10:43

....file under its such a fine line between clever and stupid.....

Whites don't understand white privilege the way that fish don't understand water.

Whites don’t understand white privilege the way that fish don’t understand water. It’s a failure of imagination. They can’t imagine a world that’s any different

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/9/7/1696846/-Ta-Nehisi-Coates-destroys-the-myth-of-the-White-Working-Class-voter-as-explanation-for-Trump-s-win?detail=emailLL

....in a quick drive-by kinda way this is so deep....but upon closer examination not so much....like a lot of the crap that is coming out Antifa-latte crowd....

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

13 Sep 2017 10:57

Utterly inane. The implicit claim that "Leftists" have convinced themselves of possible class unity; and that racism could be preventing it.

More people stuck on systems not causes. Systemic/structural racism at the politucal level is not what's happening at theblue collar level.
aphronesis
Veteran

13 Sep 2017 11:03

Alpe d'Huez wrote:

sshhhhhh, she''ll hear you
User avatar patricknd

13 Sep 2017 11:35

.....speaking of white privilege here is a bit of something from that bubbling cauldron that may curdle the odd latte....

September 13, 2017
Not My Wonder Woman: The Zionist Agenda in US Mainstream Feminism

by Zarefah Baroud

Most women will agree that female representation in the media is incredibly important for a plethora of reasons, not only in media but as well as politics, and other platforms lacking opportunity for female participants. Providing women of all ages a strong and positive role model could break a toxic habit and pattern of accepting and expecting degrading societal roles and standards that have been appointed to us. A struggle that many women face, especially women of color, members of minority faiths, or members of the LGBTQ community, is the women presented in the media for the sake of progressiveness have never stood with or supported either groups of people. For me, and many other women, “female representation” seems useless for these reasons.

When it comes to the new film Wonder Woman, many questions arose for me personally: Would I ever take my hypothetical Palestinian daughter to see a film lead by a woman who works and supports the genocide and ethnic cleansing of her people? Would my hypothetical daughter forget all the immense damage Gadot has done in Palestine, Ethiopia, Lebanon, Syria, etc, due to the fact that she is female? The omnipresent term “White Feminism” comes to mind in cases such as these. The powerful, white, upper class, has not faced the oppression and devastation that Gal Gadot and her comrades in the IDF (Israeli Defense Forces) have caused, in fact, they have and continue to profit from it, whether that be in political backing from the Zionist lobby, brutal arms deals, etc

....now this does wander off to look at a very particular example that has its own ax to grind but......it is interesting to take a gander at the rise of feminism and how in many cases it seems to be about securing "my" place at the table but not necessarily everybody's....

It comes down to what women truly need out of the feminist movement, not only in the United States, but globally. In the eyes of many Americans, women of color don’t enter their minds in relation to the feminism conversation; resulting in them feeling no sense of betrayal when they hear that Gal Gadot is the perfect “white” woman lead to the new Wonder Woman film

If Americans are truly committed to seeing their country evolve into a place that values equity for women and other oppressed peoples, it is vital that the growing exclusivity applied to this standard is banished. This can be applied to many mainstream and growing movements in the United States today. If you marched with the Pride parade in 2017, for example, the intersectionality within your solidarity is not an option. You must march for justice against brutal police who have slain and abused a record number of Black Trans women. You must march against the Pink Washing Israel has propagated while abusing LGBTQ Palestinians. You must march against all forms of LGBTQ abuses. It is not a game of picking and choosing, but one of mobilizing collectively for the same value of justice, regardless of the various labels and the backlash affiliated with each of the causes

I personally have come to the conclusion that this film was nothing but just another trick played on America’s juvenile approach to the empowerment of women. They put a woman on TV and the historic oppression of women is over, regardless that that woman herself fights for the propagation of oppression of other women all over the Middle East, Africa, and even the United States.

We saw similar events take place during Barak Obama’s presidency. They put the first Black man in the White House, and White America deemed themselves post-racial, despite the fact that the Obama administration continued the heavy militarization of the police in the United States, with the help of the IDF’s armed forces training, which directly targets and oppresses the Black community in this country. While his administration was busy bombing Somalia, Libya, and countless other African and Arab countries, he was still revered as a savior for America’s suffering Black community.

Likewise, Hillary Clinton dreamed of blazing the trail as the first female president, while betraying women everywhere as she schemed to overthrow the sovereign governments of Honduras and Libya. She too has failed to lift up women throughout the world.

For many people, the sentiment of Wonder Woman was far more than “just a film”. It was far from being a sign of evolution in the American feminist movement. Casting a woman who is a veteran from one of the most heavily militarized countries on the planet is not a sign of progress. But it does give Americans an illusion of progress. White American feminists can rest a little easier with the flawed assurance that they have done their job. We, whether we are Palestinians, people of color, LGBTQ, or religious minorities, we don’t stand to gain anything from their illusion.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/09/13/not-my-wonder-woman-the-zionist-agenda-in-us-mainstream-feminism/

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

13 Sep 2017 11:41

....the mighty market speaks....

What Happened To "What Happened": Amazon Slashes Hillary's Book Price 40% Before It Hits Shelves

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-09-11/what-happened-what-happened-amazon-slashes-hillarys-book-price-40-it-hits-shelves

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

13 Sep 2017 11:44

....for those interested, a tale about methane, and its possible place in our very near future....and its a big tale and with a not so pretty conclusion....

This is a tale filled with superlatives. The reader will encounter the greatest extinction event of all time, the longest ice age, the greatest oceanic current, the longest period of stability in the Earth's magnetic field, the greatest volcanic eruptions, the largest exchangeable carbon reservoir, the largest continent (a "megacontinent"), the biggest ocean, the largest known bacterium (Thiomargarita namibiensis), the longest mountain range in the world, and, of course, methane catastrophe. The tale is full of superlatives because there is no other way to tell it.

http://members.dcn.org/dorritie/

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

13 Sep 2017 13:21

Alpe d'Huez wrote:

Bannon nailed it. "Hillary Clinton isn't very bright..."
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

13 Sep 2017 13:27

blutto wrote:....for those interested, a tale about methane, and its possible place in our very near future....and its a big tale and with a not so pretty conclusion....

This is a tale filled with superlatives. The reader will encounter the greatest extinction event of all time, the longest ice age, the greatest oceanic current, the longest period of stability in the Earth's magnetic field, the greatest volcanic eruptions, the largest exchangeable carbon reservoir, the largest continent (a "megacontinent"), the biggest ocean, the largest known bacterium (Thiomargarita namibiensis), the longest mountain range in the world, and, of course, methane catastrophe. The tale is full of superlatives because there is no other way to tell it.

http://members.dcn.org/dorritie/

Cheers

So McPherson was right. No sense in worrying about solar panels then. Live it up.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

13 Sep 2017 13:45

Is California great or what?

One in five Californians lives in poverty, the highest rate in the country, according to new data from the U.S. Census Bureau.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article172973181.html
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

13 Sep 2017 14:45

Now Hillary is all that stands between R's and the effacement of new deal keynesianism.

I had no idea the historical amnesia was so complete with the social identity media set.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/13/republicans-hillary-clinton-vanish
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

13 Sep 2017 15:00

blutto wrote:....file under its such a fine line between clever and stupid.....

Whites don't understand white privilege the way that fish don't understand water.

Whites don’t understand white privilege the way that fish don’t understand water. It’s a failure of imagination. They can’t imagine a world that’s any different

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/9/7/1696846/-Ta-Nehisi-Coates-destroys-the-myth-of-the-White-Working-Class-voter-as-explanation-for-Trump-s-win?detail=emailLL

....in a quick drive-by kinda way this is so deep....but upon closer examination not so much....like a lot of the crap that is coming out Antifa-latte crowd....

Cheers

Yeah, maybe if Coates is serious about these issues and wants to promote class solidarity to help combat structural inequality and systemic racism, he can leave the duffy cap at home get out there and educate the brothers ages 18-65 that riding childrens bmx bikes the wrong way down major arterials is not going to help them overcome the sociological imbalance.
aphronesis
Veteran

13 Sep 2017 16:50

Anyone know what happened to zeeee Russians?

Lately I can't keep up - so we have 2 hurricanes and it because of Climate Change? So if we fix this climate change then hurricanes go away. I can't wait for all the scientist to get us straight and I will not have to worry about the summers anymore.
Veteran

13 Sep 2017 16:56

anyone know what happened to busted? He get grounded or something?

probably all that "watching the news" got him worn slap out.
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General