Register

Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

12 Sep 2017 19:54

LaFlorecita wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:https://twitter.com/Laura_Meseguer/status/907673504954376194
https://twitter.com/BorjaCuadrado/status/907667462975639553

one more year huh...
Serpentin

Re:

12 Sep 2017 19:58

LaFlorecita wrote:https://twitter.com/albertocontador/status/907684767549870080 Jarlinson <3

That was touching. Less than a year together, yet they have developed such a close relationship.

Also, it's nice to see one more time how friendly was the environment at Trek. When you don't have a dumbass as a team manager (whether what comes out of this mouth is right or wrong), it's always way easier for the riders to work at their best level.
User avatar lenric

12 Sep 2017 20:29

Ariane

Re: Re:

12 Sep 2017 20:44

lenric wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:https://twitter.com/albertocontador/status/907684767549870080 Jarlinson <3

That was touching. Less than a year together, yet they have developed such a close relationship.

Also, it's nice to see one more time how friendly was the environment at Trek. When you don't have a dumbass as a team manager (whether what comes out of this mouth is right or wrong), it's always way easier for the riders to work at their best level.

It is very pleasing how Olga's accusations have been so thoroughly demolished by what we've seen at Trek. Though, quite frankly, from what I've seen, any team with Market Irizar in it would struggle to be anything but friendly and fun. He seems to have a really infectious sense of humour.
Electress

12 Sep 2017 21:16

User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

12 Sep 2017 22:22

Don't really know where to put this but I just had a laugh when I was watching the GCN video about Contador's bike for the Vuelta, where Daniel Lloyd translated "querer es poder" as "love is power" :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VhPLCKqHEs&t=21s
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

12 Sep 2017 23:06

Gigs_98 wrote:Don't really know where to put this but I just had a laugh when I was watching the GCN video about Contador's bike for the Vuelta, where Daniel Lloyd translated "querer es poder" as "love is power" :lol:

That was funny as hell.

New profile picture after about six years. Was about time, and couldn't think of a more fitting one.
User avatar jsem94

13 Sep 2017 03:24

On the same note as Lauras article. I like this one:

Cycling can be a monotonous sport, and the best rider in the world today is a robotic dude who stares at a power meter. Contador’s dominant career is an affront to the idea that steady, machinelike riding is the only way to be a winning cyclist. He spent his entire career bobbing and weaving above his handlebars, ripping away from his opponents with some of the most vicious and sudden attacks the sport has ever known, and punishing those who would try to keep pace with him. The sport is losing a star who, to some, represents the last vestiges of an evil era that the sport needed to move on from. But that’s not Contador’s most prominent legacy. He’s a true bike racer, a risk taking madman in a sport that’s growing more staid. Cycling won’t be the same..

https://www.google.se/amp/deadspin.com/alberto-contador-was-one-of-cyclings-last-cowboys-1802946701/amp
User avatar No_Balls

13 Sep 2017 12:17

No_Balls wrote:On the same note as Lauras article. I like this one:

Cycling can be a monotonous sport, and the best rider in the world today is a robotic dude who stares at a power meter. Contador’s dominant career is an affront to the idea that steady, machinelike riding is the only way to be a winning cyclist. He spent his entire career bobbing and weaving above his handlebars, ripping away from his opponents with some of the most vicious and sudden attacks the sport has ever known, and punishing those who would try to keep pace with him. He’s a true bike racer, a risk taking madman in a sport that’s growing more staid. Cycling won’t be the same..

+100

Sigh, the cycling I've known and loved for decades may have died on Sunday.

But there is hope, Nibali is no robot and a youngster with 'the goods' may show up :).
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

13 Sep 2017 12:20

jsem94 wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:Don't really know where to put this but I just had a laugh when I was watching the GCN video about Contador's bike for the Vuelta, where Daniel Lloyd translated "querer es poder" as "love is power" :lol:

That was funny as hell.

New profile picture after about six years. Was about time, and couldn't think of a more fitting one.

Nice new avatar :)
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

13 Sep 2017 13:31

Carols wrote:
No_Balls wrote:On the same note as Lauras article. I like this one:

Cycling can be a monotonous sport, and the best rider in the world today is a robotic dude who stares at a power meter. Contador’s dominant career is an affront to the idea that steady, machinelike riding is the only way to be a winning cyclist. He spent his entire career bobbing and weaving above his handlebars, ripping away from his opponents with some of the most vicious and sudden attacks the sport has ever known, and punishing those who would try to keep pace with him. He’s a true bike racer, a risk taking madman in a sport that’s growing more staid. Cycling won’t be the same..

+100

Sigh, the cycling I've known and loved for decades may have died on Sunday.

But there is hope, Nibali is no robot and a youngster with 'the goods' may show up :).

I think the same too :(
portugal11

13 Sep 2017 14:32

I would have loved to have seen Contador attack two mountains out in the late 2000s form. Seems most of them were when he just missed that last little %. Could have been epic
Scarponi

Re:

13 Sep 2017 16:12

Scarponi wrote:I would have loved to have seen Contador attack two mountains out in the late 2000s form. Seems most of them were when he just missed that last little %. Could have been epic

Mate, we still had 2007 galibier, that stage in 2009 paris nice when he cracked completly, his final stage in 2007 paris nice was really nice and 2009 grand bornand.
portugal11

13 Sep 2017 18:00

Already out on the bike again :p
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

13 Sep 2017 18:01

I feel so sad. I guess that`s because when i watched the 2015 giro I could never imagine that would be his last GT win. He had so many 2nd places this year and the tour was really depressing. We are roughly the same age and I have been following him from the start and an era is over. In one way you felt like it was gonna go on forever. But now we are old.

Wow did`t know I would feel this way. My eyes teared up today when I went for a ride. Oh well the guy is multi millionaire but man hermano has got some panache! Gracias Alberto!

Maybe a break from watching cycling for a while is good.
Serpentin

Re:

13 Sep 2017 18:02

LaFlorecita wrote:Already out on the bike again :p

One more year!
Serpentin

Re:

13 Sep 2017 18:27

At least we will get to hear the stories of pro's on their training ride getting passed by a chubby, bearded Alberto Contador out for a stroll
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

Re:

13 Sep 2017 18:36

He has to do a major taper down.

Looks race fit though so not to much bacon so far :)
Carol S.
~~~~

User avatar Carols
Veteran

Re:

13 Sep 2017 18:41

Still with the power meter? And not taped over? For shame, Alberto, for shame. :lol:
User avatar oldcrank

Re: Re:

13 Sep 2017 19:49

portugal11 wrote:
Scarponi wrote:I would have loved to have seen Contador attack two mountains out in the late 2000s form. Seems most of them were when he just missed that last little %. Could have been epic

Mate, we still had 2007 galibier, that stage in 2009 paris nice when he cracked completly, his final stage in 2007 paris nice was really nice and 2009 grand bornand.

No no I understand I'm
Just dreaming hypotheticals. He did Thai much damage in a reduced form. Alberto full flight 50km out on in peak form would have been even beyond Pantani level. I guess if he failed Evans would have punished him in the TT in just thinking purely dream mode
Scarponi

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing