Register

Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

13 Sep 2017 19:54

Is he still under contract with them? Does he have any media obligations or anything else?
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

Re:

13 Sep 2017 20:10

Jspear wrote:Is he still under contract with them? Does he have any media obligations or anything else?

In all likelihood he is under contract until the end of the year.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

13 Sep 2017 20:18

After seeing his homecoming, I highly suggest he runs for mayor.
Every cyclists wants to look first-string, bar Bauke Mollema. He doesn't give a **** <-> Thijs Zonneveld
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

Re:

13 Sep 2017 20:19

GenericBoonenFan wrote:After seeing his homecoming, I highly suggest he runs for mayor.

I'd strongly advise against that.

"Mayor attacks ......" is no positive headline.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

Re: Re:

13 Sep 2017 20:21

Red Rick wrote:
GenericBoonenFan wrote:After seeing his homecoming, I highly suggest he runs for mayor.

I'd strongly advise against that.

"Mayor attacks ......" is no positive headline.

Our mayor has won the TdF on the other hand.
Every cyclists wants to look first-string, bar Bauke Mollema. He doesn't give a **** <-> Thijs Zonneveld
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

Re:

13 Sep 2017 21:11

I think he would be bored out of his mind :p
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re:

13 Sep 2017 21:21

LaFlorecita wrote:Already out on the bike again :p

He looks cranky. Get your hands off my bike before I show you my Superman Lopez impersonation.
Beech Mtn

13 Sep 2017 21:25

Beech Mtn wrote:

He looks cranky. Get your hands off my bike before I show you my Superman Lopez impersonation.

Maybe he had a rough night :p
Or this is his "tough guy" look :p
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

13 Sep 2017 21:47

LaFlorecita wrote:
Beech Mtn wrote:

Maybe he had a rough night :p
Or this is his "tough guy" look :p

Probably longing for a little bit of normality. He must be knackered.
Electress

Re: Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

13 Sep 2017 23:22

The don't attack me look :D ?
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

16 Sep 2017 12:36

Contador a champion from very Young age , he beat also a stroke , TRUE LEGEND
User avatar telencefalus

Re:

16 Sep 2017 12:59

telencefalus wrote:Contador a champion from very Young age , he beat also a stroke , TRUE LEGEND

I don't think he had a stroke, instead seizures from the cavernoma. Brain surgery was a big thing to come back from and build his awesome palmares and legacy. It gave him a different perspective than most of us; facing death at age 22 makes every day even more precious I'd think!
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

16 Sep 2017 13:38

Carols wrote:
telencefalus wrote:Contador a champion from very Young age , he beat also a stroke , TRUE LEGEND

I don't think he had a stroke, instead seizures from the cavernoma. Brain surgery was a big thing to come back from and build his awesome palmares and legacy. It gave him a different perspective than most of us; facing death at age 22 makes every day even more precious I'd think!

I believe he did have a haemorrhagic stroke - I read they removed blood clots from his brain during the surgery for the cavernoma. Any which way, brain surgery and ongoing epilepsy no small thing to get over.

I've always admired his courage and mental strength, and I guess facing a decision to have surgery which risks your life, with potential for serious disability, is the ultimate test of one's courage and commitment to making the live you want.
Electress

16 Sep 2017 15:22

The blood vessel malformation (cavernoma) in his brain started leaking blood which caused a stroke.
I think.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

16 Sep 2017 21:03

Beech Mtn wrote:

Yep, a little cranky because everybody is saying how nice it was of Froomey and Wout to gift him the stage. :lol:
User avatar oldcrank

16 Sep 2017 21:08

"Everybody" = a few clueless Sky fanboys who believe the world of cycling revolves around Sky and Froome. :rolleyes:
Most people know it was not a gift and Berto won that stage thanks to his strong legs, perfectly timed attack and the help from a few young riders.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

16 Sep 2017 21:14

oldcrank wrote:
Beech Mtn wrote:

Yep, a little cranky because everybody is saying how nice it was of Froomey and Wout to gift him the stage. :lol:

And that's why they rode like a two madmen to catch him :lol:
User avatar Blanco

16 Sep 2017 21:19

Blanco wrote:And that's why they rode like a two madmen to catch him :lol:

exactly :lol: they wanted to catch him but couldn't
Kinda sad that some Sky and Froome fanboys can't give Berto the credit he deserves
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re:

16 Sep 2017 21:20

LaFlorecita wrote:"Everybody" = a few clueless Sky fanboys who believe the world of cycling revolves around Sky and Froome. :rolleyes:
Most people know it was not a gift and Berto won that stage thanks to his strong legs, perfectly timed attack and the help from a few young riders.

Even a journalist whom I appreciate very much, Hans Vandeweghe, has written it which I surely didn't like.

I don't know, can't say it's a comfortable feeling that they might have gifted him that win. But if so, he was still the strongest that day, having had some help from Pantano and Mas only for a short time.
Pennino

16 Sep 2017 21:47

Well, I am entirely comfortable because I know it wasn't gifted. Poels and Froome chased as hard as they could to catch him, but the distance was too short to make up a full minute. If they had started their full on chase a km or 2 earlier, they almost certainly would have caught him. But they didn't, tough luck. In the end it doesn't matter, Alberto had built a big advantage earlier and as such had enough of a buffer to be first to cross the line, which is what counts.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing