Register

Year End Awards 2017

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Year End Awards 2017

12 Oct 2017 09:03

hazaran wrote:
Echoes wrote:
King Of The Wolds wrote: It's too difficult for some people to say his name,

Froome. I can bold it if you want: Froome. That won't change the fact that Van Avermaet won the World Tour, not him.

He won the World Tour because coming second (!) in a Canadian pseudo-classic one-day race is worth half of winning the fricking Vuelta overall GC. He came 7th in the other Canadian pseudo-classic and that was worth another 150 points, equivalent to leading the Tour GC for 6 days and 30 points more than Matthews got for winning the green jersey.

Why are they even giving points for 2nd in one-day races, maybe for a "youth competition" but in one-day races is where "first loser" truly applies. You know that the guy winning Paris-Roubaix deserves it but 2nd could be anyone.

How old are you? 12?
User avatar Blanco

12 Oct 2017 09:18

After 120 posts:

Cyclist of the year: Froome 28, Dumoulin 7

Classics rider of the year: GVA 29, Gilbert 9

Climber of the year: Landa 22, Porte 5

Most improved rider of the year: Dumoulin 11, Moscon 5, Teuns 5

Most versatile rider of the year: Moscon 17, Kwiatkowski 14

U23 rider of the year: Gaviria 15, Bernal 14, Moscon 6

Breakthrough rider of the year: Teuns 17, Moscon 12

Team of the year: Sunweb 25, Sky 7, Quickstep 6
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

12 Oct 2017 09:18

hazaran wrote:
Echoes wrote:
King Of The Wolds wrote: It's too difficult for some people to say his name,

Froome. I can bold it if you want: Froome. That won't change the fact that Van Avermaet won the World Tour, not him.

He won the World Tour because coming second (!) in a Canadian pseudo-classic one-day race is worth half of winning the fricking Vuelta overall GC. He came 7th in the other Canadian pseudo-classic and that was worth another 150 points, equivalent to leading the Tour GC for 6 days and 30 points more than Matthews got for winning the green jersey.

Why are they even giving points for 2nd in one-day races, maybe for a "youth competition" but in one-day races is where "first loser" truly applies. You know that the guy winning Paris-Roubaix deserves it but 2nd could be anyone.

If that's so easy, Froome should just enter a stupid pseudo one day classic and win it and steal the WT first place. But i guess talking is not like racing.
Flat Out

Re:

12 Oct 2017 09:55

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:After 120 posts:

Well...the hype is real. :razz: :razz:
Landani FTW at the Giro, Tour and Vuelta. :p #FreeLandani
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

Re:

12 Oct 2017 10:19

And.....:

Sprinter: Kittel 37!

TT: Dumoulin 42!
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

Re: Re:

12 Oct 2017 11:03

silvergrenade wrote:

Well...the hype is real. :razz: :razz:
Landani FTW at the Giro, Tour and Vuelta. :p #FreeLandani

So much for being the best climber at only one race, Vuelta a Burgos.
User avatar Alexandre B.

12 Oct 2017 12:00

As far as the best climber is concerned, I'd pick Nairo or Porte as well. All superior perfomances Landa delivers with no pressure in position of a joker. Once he starts slaughtering the entire field as a real leader jersey threat, I'll give him bigger credit.
dacooley

12 Oct 2017 12:12

Meh, I don't think Porte was that great this year.
Breh

Re:

12 Oct 2017 12:31

Breh wrote:Meh, I don't think Porte was that great this year.

Neither was Nairo in terms of climbing tbf. There wasn't really superior climber this year, thus I guess the hype of Landa has easy job to excel.
bambino

Re:

12 Oct 2017 15:32

Põhja Konn wrote:The outstanding aspect about Landa was his recovery, not climbing. His climbing was consistently very good, but he certainly did not stand out among other top climbers. His climbing style (like that of Quintana) is deceptively fluent and smooth, meaning it is almost impossible to see he is struggling until he actually blows up. As he is also a fan favourite in this forum, it's inevitable that there are loads of posts claiming he would have crushed everyone had one thing or other not held him back.

Also the smoothness of riding style is partly to blame for the excessive amount of criticism Quintana receives here regularly for not attacking enough. As it is almost impossible to understand whether he is holding back and biding his time or actually struggling and about to blow up, even his fans grow frustrated let alone everyone else.

One of the coolest moments of the year was when you could see Landa dying in the last kilometre of Orope, just before Zakarin and Dumoulin started to sprint for the victory.
The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time
User avatar Bardamu

12 Oct 2017 16:51

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:

And.....:

Sprinter: Kittel 37!

TT: Dumoulin 42!

The team results are surprising. I know that it's not all that fair to disregard a team's best rider but aren't sunwebs results mostly Dumoulin's? Barguil did have an outstanding TDF though.
Durden93

12 Oct 2017 16:55

Bardamu wrote:
Põhja Konn wrote:The outstanding aspect about Landa was his recovery, not climbing. His climbing was consistently very good, but he certainly did not stand out among other top climbers. His climbing style (like that of Quintana) is deceptively fluent and smooth, meaning it is almost impossible to see he is struggling until he actually blows up. As he is also a fan favourite in this forum, it's inevitable that there are loads of posts claiming he would have crushed everyone had one thing or other not held him back.

Also the smoothness of riding style is partly to blame for the excessive amount of criticism Quintana receives here regularly for not attacking enough. As it is almost impossible to understand whether he is holding back and biding his time or actually struggling and about to blow up, even his fans grow frustrated let alone everyone else.

One of the coolest moments of the year was when you could see Landa dying in the last kilometre of Orope, just before Zakarin and Dumoulin started to sprint for the victory.

I guess you meant Quintana, as it was him who completely blew when they reached the cobbled stretch at the end of Oropa. Landa was relatively unremarkable that day.

But that really was one of the most memorable moments this season and a pivotal one at that. Imo Quintana lost the Giro and any chance at the double that day as he went far too deep trying to hold off Dumoulin and never really recovered from it.
User avatar Põhja Konn

12 Oct 2017 16:57

Durden93 wrote:The team results are surprising. I know that it's not all that fair to disregard a team's best rider but aren't sunwebs results mostly Dumoulin's? Barguil did have an outstanding TDF though.

Matthews Tour campaign was great too. Overall 4 stages wins in the tour.
Kelderman 4th in the Vuelta.
They won the world TTT.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

12 Oct 2017 17:16

WT/NC/WC wins: 21 vs 16 (17 if you count hammerzone). But it's also down to expectations.
Brullnux

12 Oct 2017 17:30

16 is the number of GT stages Quick Step has won this year.
Breh

12 Oct 2017 17:35

I get the Sunweb thing, but clearly they haven't been the best team of the year, rather the best value for money team of the year, given their relatively small budget vs that of Sky. Two GTs, including the biggie, literally weeks and weeks in yellow and red, stages in all GTs, a monument, 2 other genuine Classics, Paris-Nice is an insane honours list for one season, and Sky have, hands down, been the best team. I mean, 2 GTs and a monument, when was the last time that happened?
King Of The Wolds

12 Oct 2017 17:42

SafeBet wrote:
Durden93 wrote:The team results are surprising. I know that it's not all that fair to disregard a team's best rider but aren't sunwebs results mostly Dumoulin's? Barguil did have an outstanding TDF though.

Matthews Tour campaign was great too. Overall 4 stages wins in the tour.
Kelderman 4th in the Vuelta.
They won the world TTT.

Oh wow, I completely forgot about Kelderman. That gives them a great performance in all 3 GTs and Worlds. Solid season.
Durden93

Re:

12 Oct 2017 18:26

Breh wrote:16 is the number of GT stages Quick Step has won this year.

But let's be fair, their spring (excluding Gilbert) was really frustrating. Out of the biggest ten spring races (in my book) they won two, came second in four, third in another two and fourth in another two. That's excellent for a normal team but a team like Quickstep would be wanted more wins. Mind you, it has overall been a very good year for them too.
Brullnux

12 Oct 2017 18:39

King Of The Wolds wrote:I get the Sunweb thing, but clearly they haven't been the best team of the year, rather the best value for money team of the year, given their relatively small budget vs that of Sky. Two GTs, including the biggie, literally weeks and weeks in yellow and red, stages in all GTs, a monument, 2 other genuine Classics, Paris-Nice is an insane honours list for one season, and Sky have, hands down, been the best team. I mean, 2 GTs and a monument, when was the last time that happened?

Hence, Team Sky is my pick of the year. :p ;)
But then, if we start thinking about the worst team performance it would be cruel to say Cannondale were the worst or some of the lowest budgets team. I'll be looking at teams like Trek who've got a great budget but their season was nothing short of a disaster.
So, that way Team Sunweb did really really well; that, coupled with anti-Sky sentiment across the forum it was pretty much expected that they'll win hands down. :) :razz:

P.S: Thanks to Sky.Bot for summarising the results. Top Job!
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing